(shouting)

Outer Wilds - The World • XXI: The Journey is Complete

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Overzealous

Post by helucard »

Ok, so the escape pod with Secca and Escall made it a fair ways away from their main ship... But the pod, despite having a log for flight events, was never made to keep a log of its flight path, so they had to gamble on the closest signal... That's incredibly upsetting.

By the way, that moment drifting through the three fish, that was terrifying
🐡
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Outer Wilds - Overzealous

Post by Catabo »

Today was a certified, 100%-organic "cowman has cow moments but then learns from them" kind of day! :pal:
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Fortune or Fate

Post by helucard »

The fact that the fate of the ship literally passed into legend is amazing. Like, it makes sense, 200,000 years is not an insignificant amount of time to have passed! ... At least by our standards. I mean, our years are dictated by Earth's orbit around our sun, goodness knows how long a Nomai year is in quantifiable terms we can understand... In fact, our entire timescale is dependant on the earth's rotation, our minutes and hours are dependant on the spin of the Earth's axis. I suppose now I understand why I don't see a "standardised" clock anywhere. Would Hearthians have based their clocks off a Nomai model, or would they be based on Timber Hearth's rotation leaving a discrepancy between the two? I can understand wanting to avoid that whole minefield.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Updated my list of Nomai with new information from the Sunless City and Dark Bramble:
Annona: born in space, settled Sunless City. discovered Ember Twin cave system, explored the Lakebed Caves. worked on the Quantum Moon Locator, invented the warp core. Poke's mentor

Avens: worked on the Southern Observatory, proposed the Orbital Probe Cannon. Daz's brother, Mallow's spouse

Bells: from Hanging City. keeper of the Tower of Quantum Knowledge

Bromi: Nomai clan leader from another solar system, settled in Gloaming Galaxy

Bur: born in space, settled Sunless City. located the other escape pods, explored the Lakebed Caves

Canna: Nomai clan leader from another solar system, discovered the Gloaming Galaxy

Cassava: worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Construction Yard. Daz's spouse

Clary: from Sunless City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and White Hole Station, delivered warp core to the Ash Twin Project. explored the Interloper. Poke's sister, in relationship with Yarrow

Clem: Nomai clan leader from another solar system

Coleus: from Sunless City. marked path to Sunless City, explored the Lakebed Caves. worked on the Timber Hearth Mines, Eye Signal Locator, and Quantum Moon Locator. studied anglerfish, observed primitive Hearthians. Melorae's student, Cycad's mentor

Conoy: worked on the Southern Observatory

Cycad: worked on the Timber Hearth Mines. Coleus's student

Daz: worked on Statue Island and Construction Yard, invented memory masks. Avens's sibling, Cassava's spouse

Din: crashed on Dark Bramble

Escall: original Nomai clan leader. crashed on Dark Bramble

Filix: born in space, crashed on Dark Bramble, escaped to Brittle Hollow. settled Hanging City. worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Southern Observatory. school teacher. Privet, Lami, and Solanum's mentor

Hyssop: Nomai clan leader from another solar system. their ancestors searched for Escall's clan

Idaea: worked on Sun Station. Privet's brother, unfriendly to Pye

Ilex: from Sunless City. friends with Laevi, Lami, Solanum, and Taget

Laevi: from Sunless City. worked on Statue Island. Lami's sibling, Pye's niece/nephew. friends with Ilex, Lami, Solanum, and Taget

Lami: from Sunless City, schooled in Hanging City. worked on Statue Island. friends with Ilex, Laevi, Solanum, and Taget. Laevi's sibling, Filix's student, classmates with Privet and Solanum

Mallow: worked on the Southern Observatory and Orbital Probe Cannon. Avens's spouse

Melorae: born in space, settled Sunless City. explored the Lakebed Caves, studied anglerfish. Coleus's mentor, Thatch's aunt

Mitis: from Hanging City?

Neem: Nomai clan leader from another solar system, settled in the Gloaming Galaxy

Oeno: worked on the Timber Hearth Mines

Phlox: from Hanging City. designed the warp towers on Ash Twin, worked on Statue Island, invented memory statues. Plume's child

Plume: born in space, settled Hanging City. worked on the Eye Signal Locator and Southern Observatory. discovered quantum matter. Phlox's father

Poke: from Sunless City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and White Hole Station, explored the Interloper, discovered ghost matter. Clary's sister, Annona's student

Privet: worked on the Eye Signal Locator, Southern Observatory, and Orbital Probe Cannon. Idaea's sister, Filix's student, classmates with Lami and Solanum

Pye: worked on the Sun Station and High Energy Lab, explored the Interloper, discovered ghost matter and black/white hole time distortion. Laevi's aunt, friends with Ramie, unfriendly to Idaea

Ramie: worked on the Ash Twin Project and High Energy Lab. discovered black/white hole time distortion. friends with Pye

Rhus: born in space, settled Sunless City. studied anglerfish

Root: from Hanging City. worked on the Black Hole Forge and Ash Twin Project, explored Hollow's Lantern

Secca: crashed on Dark Bramble, discovered the brambles' space warping properties

Solanum: from Sunless City, schooled in Hanging City. stranded on the Quantum Moon. friends with Ilex, Laevi, Lami, and Taget. classmates with Lami and Privet, Filix's student, befriended Hearthian explorer

Spire: worked on the Southern Observatory. discovered the Interloper and how to reach Giant's Deep core

Taget: from Sunless City. worked on Statue Island. friends with Ilex, Laevi, Lami, and Solanum

Thatch: born in space, settled Hanging City. envoy to Nomai festival, worked on the Eye Signal Locator. Melorae's niece/nephew

Yarrow: worked on the Ash Twin Project and Statue Island, monitored Sun Station. in relationship with Clary
I change this sig every year for Advent
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Even though the fate of the third escape pod has been discussed by other Nomai, it definitely creates a sinking feeling when you find it in Dark Bramble and all the names are people who haven't left any record elsewhere in the solar system.

The instruments-for-signals gimmick jumped the shark with vuvuzelas.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I also felt sad seeing those names which you never see outside of the escape pod area, but if you want to feel really sad, here's a detail about the Nomai Graveyard I didn't learn about until yesterday:
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Wondrous Lands

Post by helucard »

Oh my gosh... the music when you're zooming on the raft is so good...
... I'm scared to go looking for the OST since it'll no doubt lead to spoilery track titles but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
If anyone can find a link for that track which wouldn't lead to other track names being spoiled, that would be stellar.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Outer Wilds - Wondrous Lands

Post by Voltgloss »

helucard wrote: 1 year ago Oh my gosh... the music when you're zooming on the raft is so good...
... I'm scared to go looking for the OST since it'll no doubt lead to spoilery track titles but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...
If anyone can find a link for that track which wouldn't lead to other track names being spoiled, that would be stellar.
100% agreed.

helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - The Council's Coffer: What's in the Box?

Post by helucard »

Thanks Voltgloss :D
[clicks the 👍 button]
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Watching rao floating around Escape Pod 3 and the Vessel reminded me of my own awkward experiences with zero-G in this game. Too bad

cow can't roll. Keeping yourself upright relative to the floor can really help you get your bearings more easily.

With regard to the orange messages on the Vessel's Usenet wall:

I wonder how long ago those messages were transmitted. People are interpreting them to be sent by modern Nomai, but they could be centuries old, which is still "modern" relative to the Nomai who traveled to this solar system almost 300,000 years earlier.

As for the music, I love how intense it gets when you enter a new place and are about to learn something important. Like the Sun Station and the Southern Observatory, for example. It's a nice touch, and it's very effective.

Relevant to today's episode, some (spoilery?) thoughts on the Stranger:
I appreciate that the first time players are likely to enter the Stranger is on the dark side, where you have to activate a mechanism that drops a raft into the river of the ring world below. What a way to make an entrance into a place that's completely unlike anything else in the game. With how dark and imposing the structure looks like from the outside, the well-lit, organic world on the inside completely belies your expectations. Super well done.

Also, props to raocow for going through the dam entrance first and exploring backwards, rather than going in the direction of the river current instead, which presumably, most people do. Though to be fair, he probably thought this was the same docking bay as his first encounter with the Stranger, and so he was more thorough in checking out the landing area for other stuff.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago

I wonder how long ago those messages were transmitted. People are interpreting them to be sent by modern Nomai, but they could be centuries old, which is still "modern" relative to the Nomai who traveled to this solar system almost 300,000 years earlier.

It's very likely that those messages are extremely fresh, like within a few minutes of the start of the loop fresh. Chert mentions that normally, it's unusual to see any supernovas in the sky. But throughout the loop, if you keep an eye on the stars, I'm pretty sure there's over a hundred visible supernovas before the sun's. This, coupled with the fact that literally only Chert and Gabbro have any awareness of it, the latter of which only because they're also in a time loop, means all of the stars dying off is likely a very recent and very sudden event.
Signature text.
kitikami

Re: Outer Wilds - From Another Time

Post by kitikami »

The DLC feels like an entirely new game, so i think tackling it all at once rather than interspersed with everything else has been a good choice.

The DLC has done a great job of telling its story without text. Little details like how the elk-owls kept pursuing the lamp project after the results of the second prototype show how much they really wanted to accomplish whatever they were working on. The alternate world felt really unsettling, but i can't tell if it's just because of how dark and lived-in-but-empty it is or if it's because someone noted that the DLC was tagged as horror.

I hope raocow opening the sarcophagus doesn't unplug their dream world.
kitikami

Re: Outer Wilds - Deciphered Reality

Post by kitikami »

Another indication that you didn't just go to a different place within the same reality is how densely populated the sky there is with stars (which, notably, aren't blowing up). I'm curious now where your ship's tracking system will point if you mark the home-world locations.

Feldspar would probably love this place.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Of all things, this DLC's aesthetic really reminds me of Riven, the lesser known sequel to Myst:

Only, this looks much more intuitive and fun than Riven ever was. Could never really penetrate that game without a walkthrough.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, about yesterday's video:
raocow may have accidentally uncovered one of the final clues to finishing the DLC
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 1 year ago So, about yesterday's video:
raocow may have accidentally uncovered one of the final clues to finishing the DLC
If you mean the lamp bubble, then yeah, that's important... but...
the fact that he mused about the "in-universe" loading zone blew my mind. Dude is scary observant when he needs to be, and with a small nudge from the game that'll get him sailing to the end.
kitikami

Re: Outer Wilds - Masked Horrors

Post by kitikami »

I'm glad the encounter with the elk-owls happened on the internet because that scene looked like it would be terrifying in lamp mode.
thatguyif

Re: Outer Wilds - Dark Insight

Post by thatguyif »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago I'm glad the encounter with the elk-owls happened on the internet because that scene looked like it would be terrifying in lamp mode.
Yeah, that's where we get good use of Reduced Frights. Other changes:
  • The pursuers move a lot slower.
  • They're less loud.
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 1 year ago A lot of spoilery stuff
You weren't kidding. After today's video, he's basically figured out two of the three pieces of the final puzzle. And he's got half of the last puzzle correct. The question is whether he'll deduce the other half on his own. I think it's unlikely, but he's also got the solution to getting that other half in tow. Of course, what worries me is that he'll figure out the puzzle too soon and not learn about the Stranger

and its role in setting up Outer Wilds

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Third Time's a Charm

Post by helucard »

I am loving the rate of discovery here, it's like, every video we find New Important Stuff, and it's not with like... 5 different iterations per video, every loop has been meaningful. I've been speaking to a friend who was genuinely concerned that this DLC was gonna be a real rough experience, and yet, progress in each video has kept me clinging on for the next one.

Sidenote, I can't help but find the repeated crashlandings on the stranger hilarious.
"Not gonna need this again till next loop." CRUNCH "It's fine."
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

If they ever escape this time loop and don't blow up with the solar system, the rest of the Hearthians are going to be amazed at what our hero has managed to accomplish without ever learning to land their ship safely.
Donut

Post by Donut »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago If they ever escape this time loop and don't blow up with the solar system, the rest of the Hearthians are going to be amazed at what our hero has managed to accomplish without ever learning to land their ship safely.
I mean, considering their hero is Feldspar...

Following that line of thought though, I like to imagine it's like a time loop story I read once where once the time loop ends the main character promptly proceeds to almost die because they have lost all sense of what it's like to live a life with lasting consequences. It is a bold assumption they will even make it back to Timber Hearth in one piece.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

kitikami wrote: 1 year ago If they ever escape this time loop and don't blow up with the solar system, the rest of the Hearthians are going to be amazed at what our hero has managed to accomplish without ever learning to land their ship safely.
more like, without ever even getting the launch codes
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The most significant difference between my playstyle and raocow's is that I learned how to roll and land that damn ship safely, so I damn well did every single time, regardless of necessity.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I find it amusing that raocow found the shortcut for one of the heretical slide reels to their movie house...but not the other two, even when it was CLEAR there were other paths
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Re: Outer Wilds - Cheat the System

Post by helucard »

Someone tell the lads at speedrun dot com, we've got exploitable devlog info for owlnet.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~