(shouting)

All the S@nics - the end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Something The Hodgepodge - the gimmick is in the thread op this time

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago
This cracked me up.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

While watching this video, I murmured "whoah" and just went into full blank stare mode rather than try to comprehend whatever's going on in this game. The best I can come up with is "a late-game Sonic Advance series level, but you're the Fancy Pants Adventure guy instead of Sonic".

I don't do any drugs other than coffee and the occasional alcohol. But if I did, this would be the video to watch while doing them.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

fart
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago
why is the recommended next video "my top 20 sonic underground songs". why does sonic underground have 20 songs.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm pretty sure they had at least one song per episode because one of the gimmicks of that show was that they all had instruments.

So really your question is "why did Sonic Underground have enough episodes for 20 songs".
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Fun Fact: this was originally made for the SNES, and was at one point available on the Satellaview under a different name (but a cart release never happened)

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I think just sampling the semi-Sonics turned out to be much better because so few of them felt enough like Sonic games. Spending more time with each of them would have started to feel too divorced from Sonic that it would kind of lose its purpose. It was still cool to see the different directions developers went in trying to recapture the Sonic appeal, though, so i'm glad raocow did this little gaiden series.
QuiEstFaba
Une machine pour faire des vaches

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 2 years ago I'm pretty sure they had at least one song per episode because one of the gimmicks of that show was that they all had instruments.

So really your question is "why did Sonic Underground have enough episodes for 20 songs".
God, that show was such a garbage fire.
Tons of fun, though.
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

QuiEstFaba wrote: 2 years ago
Dragon Fogel wrote: 2 years ago I'm pretty sure they had at least one song per episode because one of the gimmicks of that show was that they all had instruments.

Tons of fun, though.
fun fact about sonic underground: its ending literally is in copyright limbo and it will never happen. not only did it not get any additional seasons with which a traditional finale episode could be made, it was going to be in an issue of Archie Comics but ken penders caused the huge stink and, alongside everything else he basically sent on a death march, he took the entire mythos of sonic underground with it. this included the ending of the show. this isn't even me joking, this is a real section on the sonic wiki

in short: THEY BROKE THEIR VOW THEIR MOTHER WON'T BE FOUND
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago

Tons of fun, though.
fun fact about sonic underground: its ending literally is in copyright limbo and it will never happen. not only did it not get any additional seasons with which a traditional finale episode could be made, it was going to be in an issue of Archie Comics but ken penders caused the huge stink and, alongside everything else he basically sent on a death march, he took the entire mythos of sonic underground with it. this included the ending of the show. this isn't even me joking, this is a real section on the sonic wiki

i kind of thought they never WOULD do that and they'd just try to ride out the show for however long it would get renewed for? i mean i know the comic writers wanted a real ending i mean an ending in the cartoon itself.

also fun smurf facts: the one time the smurfs did an arc after 9 seasons of episodic chicanery (they got lost in time and era-hopped each episode of season 10) the show got cancelled without any resolution to it. i guess they ended up helping invent communism or something. i mean, THAT'S a more interesting white guy to pair them up with than whatever the movies did.

also apparently the "song per episode" thing was because it made DiC more money in syndication every time the song was aired or something? or they wanted to sell soundtracks or something? or something?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

punky is the cutest little thing and honestly i kind of want to play his game? it may be piss easy but it's okay, as long as it's fun.

the snow stage reminds me of this one bootleg taiwanese digimon platformer game on the gba, digimon sapphire? i have a soft spot for that game, jank as it may be.
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago fun fact about sonic underground: its ending literally is in copyright limbo and it will never happen. not only did it not get any additional seasons with which a traditional finale episode could be made, it was going to be in an issue of Archie Comics but ken penders caused the huge stink and, alongside everything else he basically sent on a death march, he took the entire mythos of sonic underground with it. this included the ending of the show. this isn't even me joking, this is a real section on the sonic wiki

god i used to watch underground as a wee baby and i don't like it anymore (ova 4lyfe) but my arc the lad and okage friend kind of likes it in a sort of guilty pleasure type deal, so it's extremely sad that penders decided to ruin everything for everyone as usual. manic and sonia are honestly some okay recolors, but i don't like their voices. jaleel white is a pretty mid voice actor im sorry, he's better at real life acting.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

http://archiesoniconline.com/?comic=son ... e-50-cover

According to Ian during the back section of the fan take on the Archie finale, SEGA just kind of backed out for unknown reasons.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Grounder

Re: All the S@nics - - Bookmark

Post by Grounder »

(gimmick pic album if anyone is interested)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

heyy nice, I was hoping they'd be archived somewhere

you finally have a bit of a break grounder
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

where is the angel park map from? it looks cute, very top down snes game.

not gonna say jrpg exactly because games like harvest moon/story of seasons exist and i don't consider them exactly jrpgs unless they go full on dungeon exploration and towns and whatnot along with the farming like with the popolocrois spinoff and i believe the doraemon one. semantics though, i just consider them more life simulations
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago where is the angel park map from? it looks cute, very top down snes game.

not gonna say jrpg exactly because games like harvest moon/story of seasons exist and i don't consider them exactly jrpgs unless they go full on dungeon exploration and towns and whatnot along with the farming like with the popolocrois spinoff and i believe the doraemon one. semantics though, i just consider them more life simulations
harvest moon, actually!

it's the star knight festival village
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago harvest moon, actually!

it's the star knight festival village
i suspected as such!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's why i mentioned harvest moon hahahaaaaaaaa
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago also fun smurf facts: the one time the smurfs did an arc after 9 seasons of episodic chicanery (they got lost in time and era-hopped each episode of season 10) the show got cancelled without any resolution to it. i guess they ended up helping invent communism or something. i mean, THAT'S a more interesting white guy to pair them up with than whatever the movies did.
Ha-ha. That and Inspector Gadget were baby Bean's favorite shows. I think I lasted until Season 6 or so, whenever they introduced the kid and Grandpa Smurf. I think I took one look at the Tarzan Smurf dude the next year and never looked back. Even kid me knew that different art style didn't look good. Seasons 3-5 were the real deal though. And I can't recall many cartoons from back in the day getting definitive endings. It's why Reboot (before they came back with post-finale movies that ended on a cliffhanger) was kind of a rare neat deal because you got a resolution with it.
QuiEstFaba

Post by QuiEstFaba »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago

Tons of fun, though.

Say it with me, now...

SCREW
PENDERS
One sunny morning you get up, and you make your will, and you pass the salt to the people who care about you, but you never know who's talking to you....
QuiEstFaba

Post by QuiEstFaba »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago
TiKi wrote: 2 years ago also fun smurf facts: the one time the smurfs did an arc after 9 seasons of episodic chicanery (they got lost in time and era-hopped each episode of season 10) the show got cancelled without any resolution to it. i guess they ended up helping invent communism or something. i mean, THAT'S a more interesting white guy to pair them up with than whatever the movies did.
Ha-ha. That and Inspector Gadget were baby Bean's favorite shows. I think I lasted until Season 6 or so, whenever they introduced the kid and Grandpa Smurf. I think I took one look at the Tarzan Smurf dude the next year and never looked back. Even kid me knew that different art style didn't look good. Seasons 3-5 were the real deal though. And I can't recall many cartoons from back in the day getting definitive endings. It's why Reboot (before they came back with post-finale movies that ended on a cliffhanger) was kind of a rare neat deal because you got a resolution with it.
oh, christ
all I really remember is the Belgian UNICEF PSAs. European animation truly pulls no punches...
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Who's ready for another edition of Fun Sonic Facts? Starring... me! And NOT starring Heavy Sigh.

So you've seen how Thomas, Zool, Kid Chaos, and Oscar. tried bringing the Sonic experience to the Amiga. But you may not have known that Sonic himself was once planned to come to the computer! Read for yourself!
However, fans of ye olde computeres will notice something horribly, HORRIBLY wrong with that statement. And if you haven't, let me show you how U.S. Gold handled porting one other particular game on those five computers (The ZX Spectrum, the Commodore 64, the Amstrad CPC, the Atari ST, and the Amiga [Presumably the original Amiga 1000]). You may not recognize this one at first, but once you do...

Zounds! I understand it's not entirely fair to compare the two games (Street Fighter II needed bigger sprites and a slower camera), but you'll get an idea of how utterly unequipped some of these platforms are for the game that they were trying to get shoved on them. More Sonic-like examples exist for all three platforms (Rainbow Islands and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles for the ZX Spectrum, Mayhem in Monsterland, Rolling Ronny, and Flimbo's Quest for the Commodore 64 [Plus these games are a great list], Prehistorik II and Exolon for the Amstrad CPC, and we've already seen the attempts for the Atari ST/Amiga), but you'll notice that a lot of those first three consoles' games are not one bit close to the Sega Genesis version of Sonic - and not very many for the latter two, either.

The graphical limitations are also on full view, with either blocky, bright colours or monochrome on the ZX Spectrum (albeit with 1x1 pixels), a limited palette and rectangular pixels on the Commodore 64, and either rectangular pixels and 16 bright colours or 1x1 and 4 colours on the Amstrad CPC. The Atari ST and Amiga ain't doing so hot, either - while they both have user-definable palettes and 1x1 pixels, the Atari ST only has sixteen colours, while the Amiga doubles that to thirty-two*. The Sega Genesis, for reference, has sixty-one. That's almost DOUBLE the Amiga. (There was a trick to get 64 on an Amiga, but it seems to have been quite finicky to use if not very many titles DID use it.)

*You'll also notice something kind of funny about those last two videos - if they're for different computers, and I just said that the Amiga is capable of showing more colours on screen at once than the Atari ST, why do they look the same? Yeah, that was a common thing in that era! It was easier to make an Atari ST game and then "spruce it up" for the Amiga, since the former had half the on-screen colours of the former. The greatest common factor of 16 and 32 is 16, if you will. So many Amiga games, like our old friend Street Fighter 2 here, effectively don't use their hardware to its fullest capability.

This would die down later as games started coming out on Amiga/DOS instead of Atari ST/Amiga... but Commodore kind of failed to keep releasing new Amiga hardware revisions that would keep it as capable of running the newest VGA, 256-colour DOS (or should I say Pentium processor?) games, like DOOM. Instead they repackaged an ordinary Amiga and ordinary games (such as Oscar.) as the Amiga CD-32 and tried to sell it to console owners, instead of, uh... trying to appeal to the userbase that they already had by making something to compete with the Pentium-powered computers. It may have seemed a smart move to try and not harass your existing userbase to buy a new Super Amiga computer and instead target younger kids who would gel to a console better than a computer and who didn't have an Amiga already... but they already HAD the Mega Drive and SNES. And even IF you were a kid without a console or computer, and you were asked to pick between Sonic, Mario, and Oscar., who would you pick?

So uh, sorry to harp on graphics (as one pirate would put it, "Looking out for treasure is my true aim; that is quite plain - 'tis my terrain!") but remember that creative use of 15-colour graphics that I pointed out earlier in the thread?
TiKi wrote: 2 years ago made to prove a point on another discord server but man sonic 1's art was so good
Yeah. This palette row is just one of the Mega Drive's four, and it's already almost half of what an Amiga can normally produce, and ALMOST ENTIRELY fills up the Atari ST's colour slots. So there were two solutions here:
1. Merge the existing colours in such a way that the always-extant elements' colours (the ones in this palette row basically, and also some that are in the yellow/green slash yellow/purple palette row, such as rings and yellow springs) can be reused in every zone ("static" colours), and each zone has space for its own "fluid" per-zone colours. Sonic 1 actually did that... but it had 30 whole "fluid" colours, and then there's that whole thing where a few other colours were fluid as well, with some zones having green-and-yellow Badniks (Green Hill's chameleons and Star Light's orbinauts) and others having purple-and-yellow ones (Marble Zone's hermit crabs and Caterkillers). So you'd have to do that within the space of HALF the palette space the Mega Drive had. And that's just for an Amiga.
2. Redraw the entire game to be in a more "Amiga/Atari ST-friendly" style, similar to how Sonic 1 SMS makes certain elements smaller and reduces the colour count... but as we've seen, U.S. Gold was focused on flashy screenshots for the "gaming mags". The ZX Spectrum, Atari ST, and Amiga versions of Street Fighter II, much to their detriment, tried to keep the full-size arcade sprites (or if not full-size, still WAY too big for their britches). Even Capcom's non-outsourced SNES and Mega Drive ports weren't fool enough to go that route.
Or, if you're U.S. Gold...
3. Do 1. but in 16 colours so that you can put the Atari ST graphics on an Amiga. Sonic 1. In 16 colours. I'm not even sure if you could do the "static" and "fluid" method because there wouldn't be that much space reserved for both groups - Street Fighter II, as you can certainly see, just has 16 static colours for the whole game.

And that's the tale of how many British kids' perception of Sonic was nearly ruined forever by awful, outsourced ports from rushed development teams that were told to port games and graphics to hardware far below the Mega Drive's. I am completely confident in stating that, unlike the Ancient version for the Master System and Game Gear (that, while outsourced, seemed to have SEGA's help with a lot of aspects as it WAS for SEGA's own consoles), the five U.S. Gold versions of Sonic 1 wouldn't have been enjoyable "in their own way" or "with the right mindset". No, that's said Master System/Game Gear versions of Sonic 1, Tearaway Thomas, Zool, and Kid Chaos, and also some of the other pretty enjoyable fighting games for the Amiga, like Elfmania or Fightin' Spirit, if you want to compare them to Street Fighter II up there. No, U.S. Gold would have just produced something slow, clunky, and awful.

Instead, Sega changed their mind and only released the game on their own three consoles. The games were beloved by children, Sonic got his own comic, and many laughs (at his friends' and foes' expense alike) were had (by Sonic). And, best of all, you could buy a game with the name "Sonic" on the box and know that you were in for a great time. How long would it last, thought Sonic? Only the gloves on his then-beige hands would know for sure...!

(1993. It lasted until 1993. Sonic Spinball was not a great time.)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago Who's ready for another edition of Fun Sonic Facts? Starring... me! And NOT starring Heavy Sigh.
u.s. gold and tiertex are up there in terms of garbo publishers so fuck them
Image Image
QuiEstFaba

Post by QuiEstFaba »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
TiKi wrote: 2 years ago Who's ready for another edition of Fun Sonic Facts? Starring... me! And NOT starring Heavy Sigh.
u.s. gold and tiertex are up there in terms of garbo publishers so fuck them
I've heard of the latter.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB