(shouting)

Bangai-O - A Hover Attack by Any Other Name

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Bangai-O - A Hover Attack by Any Other Name

Post by KobaBeach »

we call this the yump 2 thread effect
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago we call this the yump 2 thread effect
we do??? i call it bangai-o... /lame joke
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

wow this is sure delayed huh. BANGAI-O THREE PACK TIME AHOY BABEY

it's funny they call this Explosion Invincible seeing as you constantly get obliterated by explosions in this game. maybe it's like exact wording as the explosion effects don't hurt you, but explosIVEs like missiles sure still hurt

bangai-o 9: jewel man
i wonder if an ost rip exists and it's pretty much strictly for the music in these mazey levels. if nothing else they have great music!

it is hilarious to me the hint girl says that there's no one like riki, in the ONE stge with "dark riki". i guess. it's such a novel concept for a boss but also i am... lowkey a little baffled by the design?? c'mon, you can't tell me that it didn't cross the mind to make him look like he has the top left portrait considering they gave him his Own Bangai-O Meter, but then he made him look like,,, That??? ok

it's so weird how Sabu The Laserm'n is literally just like dark riki but for mami, but like instead of making a dark mami, they just... make it sabu again??? like c'mon. i really wish they did that. then again given dark riki's portrait is that maybe it's a mercy

and then my point abt music in maze levels is put to the test and validated bc like. holy cow level 27 has great music. problem is that like despite having such a bop this level is... well it's extant. it's so weird to put 2 maze levels in what is essentially right next to each other with the only asterisk being "Well There's At Least Two Boss Stages Between Them? So They're Not Actually Right Next To Each Other Hahaha GOTTEM" but like, c'mon, one of them is literally mami but sabuified after you just beat dark riki, you're gonna steamroll the latter because you have a strategy for such a fight, and the former is not a very hard strategy because it's a mirror match. if nothing else takeshi-samurai sure is interesting because there's enemies to his side and barriers to try and make him a fight, unlike the standard takeshi which is deliberately defenseless and weak
bangai-o 10: strike man
Bangai-o can be a little unhinged. just a tad insane. as a treat <3

oh man it's the photography cat again!! but with a teacher. who is perverse??? that seems largely informed as all he does is say to go back to school. is he like, overtly creepy in the Japanese version??? was "perverse" a mistranslation??? does the "forbidden love" stage subtitle have to do with it or was that ALSO a mistranslation??? why was the cat there if he had no lines. anyway he's laserm'n sabu with a threatening arena instead of nothing

Did we just contact Edison. Like famous inventor Edison. Why. there's no way that was what happened in the Japanese version right?? like they inserted jokes over actual hints so surely this is another case of that?? listen i am just fully under the assumption NONE of the hint system was actually translated at this point. also hi manga ninja takeshi!! no wonder he's so quiet, i believe he comes from an actual manga

i feel like stage 30 makes a lot more sense in the version where it's fruit that fills your bangai-o meter and not explosions. it's also probably much harder tbh as you get handed bangai-os on a silver platter with explosions. also it's samurai takeshi again!
bangai-o 11: bounce man
hint woman has declared that this is kingdom hearts if she's talking about darkness

it's now i found the stage names of the european version (NOT the japanese version, those are inexplicably absent and tcrf claims that the european version is closer to the japanese version but like Still), and i'd like to note that stage 31's name may be "Run the Gauntlet!" in english, but in european it's literally just "That is not possible!". is this,,, really closer to japanese??? looking ahead it doesn't seem this mis-match fixes itself either yet without the japanese names to refer to i literally cannot tell when it's the english version making nonsense up, the european version making nonsense up, or both. also what the heck is BAD isn't our antagonist the SF Kosmo Gang

"dig or die" said right upon nearly softlocking yourself and only escaping due to the game's own jank is really funny. though once again i can't help but wonder how a game releases with softlocking like this just being... well i wouldn't say it's a core mechanic but it certainly is an actual intended element of at least a few levels. this is evidently yet another SUPER ultra gimmicky stage tho where the entire gimmick is "teehee it's boxes and when you fight the boss your missiles get distracted by the box!". i kinda wonder if these later stages were just made by pulling various gimmicks from a box. also did this muppet man just ask riki's pronouns/age before getting him. Before I Cabbage Your Ass I Need Your Pronounce

okay there's no way that this is actually riki's dad if sabu is his true son. very bafflingly the european level, instead of being called "familiy duel: just roll with it!" (sic) is called "Great! The last period of office for the president". which is frankly like if 2010cow named a level and i kinda love it, but also it suggests that this IS indeed a fake Not Riki's Dad Riki's Dad. i have GOT to know if the japanese name is even half as totally unhinged as the european name though
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago also did this muppet man just ask riki's pronouns/age before getting him. Before I Cabbage Your Ass I Need Your Pronounce
it's a gentlemans douel
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i dont know how to leave well enough alone so i translated the forbidden love stage and Yeah He's A Pedophile

title seems to be different though:
"Big Problem with the Old Man! We're All Out Of Chikuwa!"
S: RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~
S: What's wrong? You haven't been showing up at school at all lately...
R: Whoa! Mr. Samaran! Did you come all this way just to find me?!
S: Why of course! I'll be using this Kidnap-o-bot♂ that I stole from the Cosmo Gang to help me with that~!
S: Let's come home just the two of us, Riiiikiiii. Without you, school is so booooooo~ring.
M: Riki, school is really important, y'know. Maybe we should just go back and...
S: Hmm~? I don't really give a damn about what you do, Maaamiii.
R: Like hell we're goin' back! I'll burn you to a crisp, you freaking perv!
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

weird thinking about how "we're 33 into a 44 level game" technically means we're like 3/4ths of the way done with the LP??? it feels far away still. Bangai-O Time Distillation. put that on your iceberg .pngs or w/e. listen this game's enough of a rabbit hole to warrant such an image don't act like it wouldn't happen

as a viewer i've never actually thought of what it's like to Play the game and possibly mistake enemy fire for You fire. i'm generally pretty good at telling what is a Me bullet and what is an enemy bullet in games but in a Bangai-O i don't know if that'd hold up when there's just So Much Going On Forever And All Time. and now the Weather lady is the boss. the Weather lady that isn't even in the game before now? i love how riki basically says "So True Bestie" though. also it's secretly takeshi oopsie B)

Return Of Shopkeeper Tree!! also yeah it is 44 levels! i cant wait to pay so much credits. i wonder if the credit thing is a thing in the japanese version. If Only A Good Documentation Of That Exists (snarl). also the freaking nekoshi is SO good. it's so funny to just get a text box out of the blue that just saws "Miau" no punctuation yet proper capitalization.

i think the teacher needs to be Incinerated. also why is sabu the big brother again??? exactly??? it'd be really good if maybe these cutscenes were translated properly, but like i'm not Conspiracy Entertainment circa the early 2000s and i guess asking the future publishers of friggin Rock & Roll Adventures to translate a game properly is like asking a snail to go faster so We Must Do It Ourserlves I Suppose. also rip mami (telefragged by sabu) 1999-2021

if i may vent a serious grievance--not neccessarily with the game but like its documentation--holy actual cow the tcrf article for Bangai-O is so poorly set up and it's clear there's not been much study on this game. objectively the most important version to cover is the japanese one. guess what, in their entire giant honking "regional differences" section, they cover a grand total of 2 (two) times, one of them strictly for stuff in menus and one of them is "game's actually saturated". yea it's the japanese version. everything else is changes between it and the european version when it is very clear that there's clearly a LOT of stuff in the japanese version??? and started in the japanese version??? but is randomly attributed to just being a part of the european version??? strangest of all is the level names section, which ONLY has european english and US, yet it makes the claim that the EU names are closer to the japanese names... so of course it doesn't provide those japanese names so you can't check for certain if this is the case!!!

i genuinely think this thread has more info on the japanese version of the game than literally tcrf does and just it did that on total accident somehow. if anyone here is an archivist that knows japanese (I sure meet the former but don't know the latter!!) please if for not tcrf but for My Personal Interests i want to hear more abt japanese bangai-o and how utterly jank it apparently is! someone get that tomato guy on the phone if you must. this game is a total rabbit hole and yet there's a pretty obvious cave-in in how information of the japanese version is so Not Extant Yet
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago i dont know how to leave well enough alone so i translated the forbidden love stage and Yeah He's A Pedophile

title seems to be different though:
"Big Problem with the Old Man! We're All Out Of Chikuwa!"
S: RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~
S: What's wrong? You haven't been showing up at school at all lately...
R: Whoa! Mr. Samaran! Did you come all this way just to find me?!
S: Why of course! I'll be using this Kidnap-o-bot♂ that I stole from the Cosmo Gang to help me with that~!
S: Let's come home just the two of us, Riiiikiiii. Without you, school is so booooooo~ring.
M: Riki, school is really important, y'know. Maybe we should just go back and...
S: Hmm~? I don't really give a damn about what you do, Maaamiii.
R: Like hell we're goin' back! I'll burn you to a crisp, you freaking perv!
Ah. I See. That's. A Choice. They Made. For This E-Rated Video Game. Huh. :aliceko:

i think it's telling that i was just kinda, willing to accept that this was also just. the game doing a mistranslation and that maybe the teacher was merely corrupt and not actually a good teacher for other, less concerning reasons (like secretly being a part of the Kosmo Gang) and they somehow translated "corrupt" as "perverse". and the fact they just kinda,,, keep using the teacher after that. yeah i can't blame raocow for saying the teacher is an uncomfortable character. bangai-o! the only game where you're not actually sure if the teacher needs to be arrested for federal crime

that being said. please don't leave well enough alone. i need to know more about this game So Much. and also it turns out tcrf refuses to do that job apparently. (i still really want to know about the "familiy duel" stage though, between the cutscene and the Entire Stage Name, that sounds like absolute lunacy)
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

why would a discussion about game development lead in with the discussion of evolution. especially since the purple hair girl is apparently meant to be Darwin. was this always about game development in japanese? i am operating under the assumption it was NOT because i have learned i cannot trust the translation in this game to convey anything, not even how much i really want to have the teacher be arrested in-universe. also the cat is owned by sabu??? like not "oh this is the sabu we pretend is literally anything other than sabu" i mean this is literally sabu as in sabu your first antagonist and he tells you his name is sabu sabu.

the opening of Stage 38 is just Cabbage Central i think. lasers, radial attacks from enemies, homing attacks from enemies... yeah i think you're fully expected to just constantly be spamming your bangai-o blasts. it wouldn't shock me if this level is part of the reason for the bangai-o blast being tweaked to rely on explosions and not fruits (more on this in a bit). i cannot imagine playing this level in the way raocow is, without the explosions filling your meter instead of fruit. also why is there just this nerd as the boss. when it's the SF Kosmo Gang's lair entrance??? why is it anything other than a known member of the kosmo gang??? this nerd would 100% be into crypto if crypto existed when bangai-o existed, that's all i'm saying. though i suppose the analogue would be beenz.

"ARE WE GONNA BEAT MOM!?!" ~raocow, surprisingly not playing The Binding of Isaac: Repentance. what surprises me is that it seems the motherly thing is literally just the english version, as the EU version is "For those that have the desire! We shall assist you!". no idea what the japanese version could be. did riki accidentally quote Family Guy's opening in that hint about... Part 2 Gulf??? what was the hint in the last level, actually??? does it mention it being a part 1??? listen you need to know i'm having to relent on just mocking tcrf's incompleteness on its bangai-o coverage everytime i ask these questions and it does take a lot out of me.

OH MY GOD IT'S HIM!!! IT'S THE WEIRD PINK THING IN THE GAME OVER SCREEN!!! i was genuinely excited to witness this like i jolted physically and that's a little pathetic i realize but like YO IT'S THE THING!!! I RECOGNIZE IT!!! also why do they treat it as mom?? WHY IS RIKI'S DAD HERE AGAIN. i love the church bells in this btw. it's so good. i think aside from this though, is wondering what the Heck is this fight like in the japanese/eu versions of the game. i know in the game over screen in those versions, the pink thing is... well, for lack of a more tactful way of putting it, they committed Happy Happyism and instead of localizing it as a santam'n they just went and redesigned the whole thing. strangely, the cultist is in the eu version as well, only the american version changes it to be the pink thing. is this boss portrait different as well? or does this pink thing just have basically no context in the original versions??? i literally cannot find even a longplay of the japanese version of this game so like, heck if i know unless i decide to LEGALLY:tm: acquire the japanese version and play it myself, literally almost the entire way through, with no understanding of japanese, all in the hopes of just finding if this 1 (one) graphic is different

today's tangent is a big one! it's more on the fruit mechanic. i genuinely wonder just how different the game's balance is in the versions where the fruit actually influence your bangai-o meter and not explosions??? i've brushed upon it a few times before (especially with the Stage 30 Fruit Sale) but like in some of these levels--like, say, Stage 37 today--it feels like having an excruciatingly finite amont of bangai-o blasts as opposed to an infinite (or at the very least much more quantifiably larger) bangai-o blasts would make this game a LOT harder overall. especially as the amount of times we've seen fruit that are ranked higher than bananas is like... countable of two hands i think. i think it's telling that in raocow's initial run that almost made it to the end, he went from having 1 bangai-o blasts, to 0 bangai-o blasts, to 1 bangai-o blast... to 4 of them. that, wouldn't happen with the reliance on fruit i don't think!!! and also i'm thinking of how effective the fruit are is directly tied to how effective your bangai-o blasts were, which is tied to how effective the fruit was... yeah this seems like kind of a strange ouroboros snake-eats-its-own-tail self-fulfilling game balance.

i suppose that's also KIND of true for the explosion-centric meter as the better your bangai-o blasts the more bangai-o blasts you end up getting, but like, it's to a much lesser extent, as there's ways to just Endlessly Farm Explosion Particles so you always have a way to fill your bangai-o meter like those yellow and blue lasers that create explosions for firing at them even if you don't actually damage them at all. and those lasers are in pretty much EVERY level, like i think it's easier to count the levels they're not in than the levels they are in, and usually the levels they're not in... are like, 9 times out of 10, they're usually a "this is a boss fight in disguise of a whole stage" stage where the boss itself if the thing you can farm explosion particles off of.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im mostly watching this for the mecha stan's opinions in the comments
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

as i stated a few posts ago, this game's difficulty is all over the place. tomorrow we're likely doing stages 42 and 43 before the finale of 44 in 2 days. i thusly expect that in 2 days, which is ostensibly going to be just the final level, the video will be either 5 minutes or 5 hours worth of footage

there is NO WAY riki's dad re-marrying his wife wasn't a mistranslation. i 100% bet the pink thing (or whatever its equivalent is) is not meant to be riki's mom. either way love wins <3

"DID IT!" ~raocow, softlocked. it's weird how these level names are like, increasingly redundant about how they're the final levels. trust me, it's gonna get even more confusing in the upcoming levels. also, my favorite of the eu level names--in eu this level's name is "The charming commando 2 1992 Italy". i literally can't fathom why they named it that. i don't know if that's close to the japanese name bc i don't have it. i choose to believe the japanese name is NOTHING like this. HOLY SHOOT IT'S KING TAKESHI!!! i actually love that they tried to make a takeshi an actual threat and it only took... uh... 41 levels. even still it sucks how you can, at least theoretically, totally nullify that threat as it's entirely reliant on enemies behind blue gates riki can fire through, enemies that are not invincible/have infinite hp, as chibicow has demonstrated so kindly for us. aslso, the boss portrait in the top right for king takeshi is weirdly crushed??

i genuinely had the revelation today that... this is a treasure game. yeah despite me already knowing this i just processed that fact somehow!!! it's so weird to look at this game--literally, not like analytically--since it still, despite everything, has a very treasure-like graphics style in the gameplay itself. like it actually looks kinda like gunstar heroes in particular. bafflingly, though... that's kinda all i can place to treasure??? it makes me wonder how many of treasure alumni worked on this game and how many were newer employees where this was their first project.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago im mostly watching this for the mecha stan's opinions in the comments
i'm mostly watching this bc this game has flung me into a rabbit hole and Gosh Darn It i'm gonna see it to its (il?)logical conclusion
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago there is NO WAY riki's dad re-marrying his wife wasn't a mistranslation. i 100% bet the pink thing (or whatever its equivalent is) is not meant to be riki's mom. either way love wins <3
her original appearance was that of a weird klan-like ghost thing, which can be seen as well on the original game over screen. i assume she had 64 on her hat in the n64 version, she had to be censored for the us release

either way yes, they're remarrying, ban chose to follow his pure feelings or whatever
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago it's weird how these level names are like, increasingly redundant about how they're the final levels. trust me, it's gonna get even more confusing in the upcoming levels. also, my favorite of the eu level names--in eu this level's name is "The charming commando 2 1992 Italy". i literally can't fathom why they named it that. i don't know if that's close to the japanese name bc i don't have it.
it is, and i shit you not:

Code: Select all

悩殺女コマンドー2
        92年 伊
my attempt at translating this is like "The Bombshell Fem-Commando 2 (1992, Italy)"
borrowing a bit from google translate for the bombshell part because yeah that's a better term.
it's like a made up (porn?) movie name or something. it's a very VIP way of naming things, but without the edgelord stuff

i dread to think what oyster would translate this as
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago i'm mostly watching this bc this game has flung me into a rabbit hole and Gosh Darn It i'm gonna see it to its (il?)logical conclusion
my brain:
* smooth
* no weinkls
* cute
* can't think=no sad ❤️
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago there is NO WAY riki's dad re-marrying his wife wasn't a mistranslation. i 100% bet the pink thing (or whatever its equivalent is) is not meant to be riki's mom. either way love wins <3
her original appearance was that of a weird klan-like ghost thing, which can be seen as well on the original game over screen. i assume she had 64 on her hat in the n64 version, she had to be censored for the us release

[image cropped]

either way yes, they're remarrying, ban chose to follow his pure feelings or whatever
so the portrait IS different in the japanese version and the pink thing is wholly unique to the US version??? holy gosh. also yea they uh, committed happy happyism so i can't blame them for trying to change the design :kood:

also the fact that them re-marrying is just. in all versions, and it's not a mistranslation. Whatever You Say, Bangai-O
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago my brain:
* smooth
* no weinkls
* cute
* can't think=no sad ❤️
God i wish that were me
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago it is, and i shit you not:

悩殺女コマンドー2
        92年 伊
my attempt at translating this is like "The Bombshell Fem-Commando 2 (1992, Italy)"
borrowing a bit from google translate for the bombshell part because yeah that's a better term.
it's like a made up (porn?) movie name or something. it's a very VIP way of naming things, but without the edgelord stuff
I checked to make sure. Not an actual film. It definitely reads to me as a very dumb action flick, like Onechanbara and the action-sexploitation films that inspired it. She-Wolves of the Wasteland. That's a title I just had to read so it's going in this post.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

just a disclaimer the google translate was only used because i wanted to see how oyster would have translated it
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago it is, and i shit you not:

悩殺女コマンドー2
        92年 伊
I checked to make sure. Not an actual film. It definitely reads to me as a very dumb action flick, like Onechanbara and the action-sexploitation films that inspired it. She-Wolves of the Wasteland. That's a title I just had to read so it's going in this post.
ig the next question is... if it's not a film, what in the Actual Fuck is it. was it like??? just improv???
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago I checked to make sure. Not an actual film. It definitely reads to me as a very dumb action flick, like Onechanbara and the action-sexploitation films that inspired it. She-Wolves of the Wasteland. That's a title I just had to read so it's going in this post.
ig the next question is... if it's not a film, what in the Actual Fuck is it. was it like??? just improv???
most likely. just roll with it 草

we've ran into a lot of this in the vip translating era of this eye o mine's server (ahem every single tsc stage cough cough) so i guess it's just japanese surreal comedy
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

there is no way the final level won't be a 1 level video tbh, even if just bc i feel like stage 43 will in of itself be a 1 level video sort of deal

it is SO good that one of the last bosses is literally the name input guy. i still wonder if game clear godzilla will show up. i wonder if his status of an omnipotent "fruit hermit" is in the original japanese version? i also wonder why he has that cat ig. also this poor dude must feel pretty peeved that fruit don't actually increase the bangai-o meter in this particular dimension

anyway on the topic of level names from yesterday. i briefly mentioned how redundant the game gets towards the end and how there's like, multiple levels that'd suggest being a final level. yeah the past 3 levels all have names across different versions of the game that imply being the last stage. stage 40 is obviously the blockade "don't let 'em stop you now!" here but in eu it's literally just "The last time". no idea what it is in japanese. 41 has THAT baffling name in japan/eu but over here it's stockade "Almost there..." and now we have Ground Zero. "Go Bangai-O Go!"

a random trinket of info i'd like to bring up as it is one of like 3 things abt the japanese version that tcrf actually has: y'know how in this game they're "level <number>" with a startlingly large amount of empty space? yeah no it's not bc it wants to just look aesthetically pleasing it turns out. in the japanese version the level textbox roughly translates to "This is district <number> of Hell". this also, bafflingly, appears in some eu versions (namely french and german) but not others (british english).
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

bangai-o double feachure??? DON'T MIND IF I DO!!! except it's also the finale... damb ;-;

16 - can legally drive a car
so my point about how redundant the level names get towards the end? yeah they saved the silliest redundancy for last. this is "The Last Great War.: Finish the SK Kosmo Gang!", and then (as you'll see episode 17) the final level is "The Final Challenge.: Good luck - you'll need it!". for those of you keeping track at home, this is before "Blockade.: Don't let 'em stop you now!" (which, in eu, is LITERALLY just "The last time"), "Stockade.: Almost there...", and "Ground Zero.: Go Bangai-O Go!". literally all of the last 5 levels have names in english to suggest they're the last level. i'm not wholly convinced the english translators tried to come up with a cool name for the last level, had a lot of ideas, but naturally only 1 final level to go around, so they just handed all of them off to the preceding levels--especially as the level names are basically entirely different in eu (and presumably japanese)

raocow notes this level is like... uncharacteristically a Normal Level, and honestly i entirely agree. granted the final level is BASICALLY just "it's a straight line of chambers*. final boss is here. you fight him." so i feel like they wanted this to be as standard as possible? it'd also explain why the boss is kind of a throwaway all things considered--i feel like when they made the final level, they decided to split it up between the level part and the boss part and that's how we got Whatever The Boss is... though why they didn't decide to split THAT final boss from its level is beyond me. speaking of the boss

IT'S A SHEEPIE!!! an alcoholic sheepie at that! ...did the esrb rate this game for inclusion of alcohol? do you think they got this far in the game? (oh no it's an Eastern Mind being rated K-A despite the existence of the room of sexual desire all over again). i literally have No context for this man's existence, frankly??? i wonder if this is any different in japan. especially since he seems to be reciting a poem???

*yes i know it bends but like it's still linear
17 - can play a grand theft auto
i have said through this thread that either raocow will take an entire 5 minutes to beat the final level or 5 hours. given the video is literally split in two, i can see it was the latter. okay technically it was 2.5 hours and i was somehow literally guessing the two time slots that would roughly be the halfway point.

so wait is the purple girl meant to be like a medium? was that the entire joke with her nonsencial speech and her claiming to be Literal Charles Darwin??? do they allude to that in the japanese version at all??? it's weird the explanation only really appears in the literal final level though... i feel like there HAS to have been an explanation earlier and we either missed it, or it was mistranslated. i do like that the weapon he boasts abt is "The End of Treasure" since this is, y'know, a Treasure game. it wasn't their last one, though, i can name Wario World as happening not too long after bangai-o in fact

"Spreading The Needle Of Warcrime" ~raocow, 2021. i want to frame this quote

it's him! it's Actual Gai! of Ban and -o fame!!! he says... startlingly little before the fight??? it's weird as he also has literally his own cutscene music entirely--it's not like a riff before the fight or anything, no it's just a wholly distinct song. and like, you can 100% see why i said this will either take you 5 minutes or 5 hours based on the fight. this dude literally is Dark Riki On Steroids. his default attack is cabbages. fortunately it means you have ample opportunity to counter with your Own cabbages so you just Shred his HP if you time it right??? however, if you deviate from that pattern, even just a Tiny Bit... yeah you'll finally learn what it's like to take a max-power 400 cabbage firsthand. you could get lucky any just hit the successful pattern first try (5 minutes) or you won't and you need to figure it out (5 hours). also quite bafflingly, he is the ONLY boss to acquire a form of i-frames to my knowledge, since he uses the V to become briefly invulnerable.

quite tellingly, when we see raocow breeze through the stage at one point, combined with the actual run that won against Gai, yeah it basically was 5 minutes. i think there's a timeline where raocow just got both of those god runs try and was wondering why i was hyping this up as being either super easy or super duper hard. as raocow puts it--it really is just a normal boss. that they then put on drugs.

after all the fake dads that showed up, it's weird to find out Gai actually for real for actual IS riki's uncle, and is taken in like a second father??? Also why is Sabu and (fake???) dad in the corners of the credits. also it sure is great that, of all the things tcrf documents about the eu version, the ending sure isn't one! there is no discussion of ANY version of the ending, actually.

i will also make sure any game i develop has "Cool people who developed the game." at the start of the credits.

raocow mentions people dropped off but honestly??? this was super fucking rad. this feels like just an Exceedingly My Kind Of Game Game. absolutely baffling on some primal level, it's a cryptid due to poor documentation of it, it is just utterly bizarre in a way i think only a mother could love and i am going to be this game's adoptive mother. i genuinely ADORED writing these little rambles about the game on the talkhaus every day... and honestly??? i think "Properly Understanding Bangai-O Lore" has been put on my list of "things i wanna do one day" because holy cow i did NOT realize how much a rabbit hole the shoddy translation job truly was. (honestly i think i'm genuinely a little bummed the LP is over bc it means i don't really have a place to talk abt bangai-o and its lack of sense-make translation now). Bangai-O Translation Project when, tomato hmu <3

tabarnak counter: x1??? i think mr. rao of cow said it in one of the attempts???

also raocow did use a savestate and 100% i get that. you can always savestate late-game bangai-o, it's called self-care <3

Truly, The Real Gai-o Were The Friends We Banned Along The Way. Three Cheers !!
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago just a disclaimer the google translate was only used because i wanted to see how oyster would have translated it
Level 42, Dodge the Beefsteak
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago honestly i think i'm genuinely a little bummed the LP is over bc it means i don't really have a place to talk abt bangai-o and its lack of sense-make translation now
feel free to shitpost about it on discordhaus and ill try to reply

i'd like to try and translate the text so i might make a thread just for the shits and giggles and if moogy or anyone else who is better than me at japanese wants to provide feedback i'd also be down
Classtoise wrote: 2 years ago Level 42, Dodge the Beefsteak
beefsteak is so passé

these days it's all about the "Defeat the Assault of the What Garden/Osaka Prefecture Party!" and "TENTENS While Changing Clothes"
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Classtoise wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago just a disclaimer the google translate was only used because i wanted to see how oyster would have translated it
Level 42, Dodge the Beefsteak
the golden ending... :rao:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i remembered what the other game people previously thought was bangai-o's inspo was, kagirinaki tatakai by hiroshi ishikawa, published by enix. i think a dev came out and stated it was hover attack. i got reminded of it because tales of destiny 2 (not eternia)'s opening has kagirinai in its lyrics, the song is extremely good but WOW i hate the girls' faces, those detailed lips clash so strongly with the detailed shoujo eyes and the simple face

anyway im gonna update the op with the remaining three eps because i just didn't watch them,
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »