(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
eltiolavara9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVDPAVX8bE
First name: hi

Re: Celeste - Nanda Devi

Post by eltiolavara9 »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago
eltiolavara9 wrote: 5 years ago am i the only one that hates when any form of media references recent stuff? like the selfies thing in this episode or whanever it's called, it just felt like one of these ads that tries to be hip with the youth
Are you seriously insinuating that the concept of "selfies" is a "youth fad" or whatever to you which you pretend to not even understand? I thought "silly people five years younger than me taking pictures of themselves!!!" about ten years ago, but selfies are absolutely here to stay and there's nothing "recent" about them.
no it's just the way they did it with the filters and stuff
its just a pet peeve of mine
hi
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Celeste - Masherbrum

Post by Leet »

what is "the way they did it" (don't actually answer this)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Theo is very much a contemporary, 2010s (Instagram came out in 2010, the huge list of filters in 2011) beardy hipster photographer who is well-meaning but maybe a little too friendly for some. Celeste is very much a contemporary story, although it could just have easily been a timeless one with some script and asset changes. But that's not the kind of game it is. It came out in 2018 and it reflects specifically on experiences that people, likely including the developers, have been having for the past decade, and I believe it does so without pandering to the quirks of the decade in an attempt to be trendy - Theo's filter silliness annoyed me too, but it made me annoyed with Theo, not with the developers, because I understood what they were trying to convey about his character and personality. He's playing off Maddy's self-deprecation with a universal "oh, no-one feels good about themselves, don't be so hard on yourself" and trying to put a positive thing on things, albeit in a beardy hipster photographer way. And beardy hipster photographers do annoy me, but they are very much a fact of reality (yes, Portland is part of reality, despite what they claim) and Theo is one of them.

Now if Celeste were a game published by EA and made by a dev team numbering in the hundreds I'd be suspect of the inclusion of "InstaPix" and the like, but that clearly isn't the case here.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoNow if Celeste were a game published by EA and made by a dev team numbering in the hundreds I'd be suspect of the inclusion of "InstaPix" and the like, but that clearly isn't the case here.
Pre-order Celeste now and get access to the Crystal Hearts level pack, only at GameStop!

$2.99 for a free double jump. (one time use)
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

excited to see you start tackling the postgame today, anyways
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

have fun doing this segment again wholesale
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

I like the Crystal Heart in this level a lot, because in a lot of ways it feels like a typical SMW secret exit.

On another note, somehow I never put it together that each branch cleared out a specific "type" of clutter... I guess I just didn't notice that it was only certain objects that were disappearing each time.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

10204307 wrote: 5 years ago On another note, somehow I never put it together that each branch cleared out a specific "type" of clutter...
So this I got immediately.

But I took like an hour to find what to do for the crystal heart because the answer to the puzzle is dumb.

Given there's a LOT of abstract room creation and 99/100 other times a spot like this exists, nothing is there. But now because of the crystal heart being in this section, it DOES. I guess the hint is that it HAS to be this section that you get to it, but other than that, there's nothing to indicate the path. And I thought too maybe backtracking was a solution... but then noticed the path behind you locks.

I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Giik

Post by Giik »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 5 years ago
10204307 wrote: 5 years ago On another note, somehow I never put it together that each branch cleared out a specific "type" of clutter...
So this I got immediately.

But I took like an hour to find what to do for the crystal heart because the answer to the puzzle is dumb.

Given there's a LOT of abstract room creation and 99/100 other times a spot like this exists, nothing is there. But now because of the crystal heart being in this section, it DOES. I guess the hint is that it HAS to be this section that you get to it, but other than that, there's nothing to indicate the path. And I thought too maybe backtracking was a solution... but then noticed the path behind you locks.

Looking at it again I think you can piece together enough clues. Sure it might take a retry or two but the hearts aren't supposed to be something you get your first time through.
You can easily *see* the heart, and through a bit of following directions you can find the path *to* the heart. But it's blocked by towels. Okay, clear out the towels. But if you went through one of the other paths first (which you likely did if you saw the heart already and are trying to get to it), you'll know that the path locks behind you. And the path blocked by towels is *in* the towel segment. Hmmst.

So through deduction you have to clear out the towels, and then get back to the beginning of that route without actually leaving it. But a lot of things are one way? Except earlier you can see a different exit in the middle of the towel route, also blocked by towels. So there must be a different way to go back after you clear the towels.

Thankfully you don't have to explore far, since the hidden tunnel is in the room where you clear the towels out.

Crow

Post by Crow »

You should never need to replay the entire section, only the one path that leads to the heart

You know, assuming you know which one it is

Post by 10204307 »

The crystal heart in this level was one of the ones that I found without needing a guide. I don't think it's hard to figure it out if you're just thorough with your searching. And most importantly, it feels just the right level of obscure for a crystal heart.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I dunno what it is, but i'm decidedly not a fan of something that's built so that you basically have to do it on a second pass. Would the blobs locking you in even change anything besides being able to do the heart in one run? It's not like the layout even changes until you hit the switch at the end.
Crow

Post by Crow »

good news for you: you don't have to do it on a second pass, like i already said earlier every collectible in the game is designed such that you can get every last thing in a single run
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I just thought about how to actually solve this puzzle and I realized I got the actual process mixed up and made it appear more confusing than it actually is. I guess cleanup tomorrow will be quick.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i mean you realize there is more of the level to play through before cleanup occurs, right? :P
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i mean you realize there is more of the level to play through before cleanup occurs, right? :P
I heard the level was long, but I don't know how much is left.
Crow

Post by Crow »

enough to fill at least another entire video, if not more. i really doubt it'll extend beyond one more vid tho but we'll see
this isn't the longest level in the game though, so
Crow

Post by Crow »

for the record, for that first strawberry, you can just
jump into it and dash left
instead of going all the way around twice,

also,
"stay away from mirrors maddy" oh lord if you only knew
pretty much every strawberry in this section is tough to get tho

Post by 10204307 »

I really love that scene, because the fact that Chapter 2 was a dream leads you to believe that Mirror Maddy was also just a product of the dream, and then in Chapter 3 the game very suddenly psyches you out by revealing that no, she can manifest in the real world too! It’s such a cool scene. (I also love the leitmotif associated with her.)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

10204307 wrote: 5 years ago I really love that scene, because the fact that Chapter 2 was a dream leads you to believe that Mirror Maddy was also just a product of the dream, and then in Chapter 3 the game very suddenly psyches you out by revealing that no, she can manifest in the real world too! It’s such a cool scene. (I also love the leitmotif associated with her.)
The neat thing about (ba)Deline's theme is it's just a darker arrangement of Maddy's leitmotif. Lena Raine did such a good job with this game's music, it really shows the kind of potential there is in giving the Super Mario World treatment to a tune with greater narrative/thematic significance.
Last edited by Rixithechao 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

I'm not sure if this has been happening before now and I'm just now noticing it, but in the double strawberry room whenever rao died he respawned at the start of the obstacles not at the beginning of the room. I thought that was really thoughtful and smart design.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

About the hotel closure described in Oshiro's diary: I don't yet know the full story of this game, but I think it's not necessarily that something terrible happened afterwards. It might simply be that Oshiro was emotionally unable to leave the hotel, and could be

representing one's difficulty of moving on from past attachments and obsessions

Also in a room like that where there's another path to the end of the screen, it's recommended to try going through it to preview the design of the screen.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

some people are too lazy to take the normal way, even when someone already unlocked the door for you

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Also Theo, "El Creepo" isn't real Spanish

(although technically the Spanish script uses a different word)