(shouting)

Testing results/issues

an SMBX collaboration hack!
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Testing results/issues

Post by lukaramu »

raocow wrote:Might as well make a thread for it, honestly. The 'detailed' version in a thread, and maybe a summary on the wiki?
So here it is!

Please put issues you've encountered while testing here and feedback that you have! Obviously, if you don't want to be spoiled, only look at your own level!

Old issues from original post:
Current issues:

8flight – Castle of Reflection:
  • The Podobos and the Ninji in the corridor after them are pretty ridiculous to dodge
  • I would prefer to have some more fence in the fence section
  • Would a midpoint be possible with the events and such?
Cadwyn – Cavey Cave Cavelands:
  • In the cave, the music doesn’t play. (Seems to be a strange problem that only I have)
Darkychao & Doctor Shemp – Frickin’ Meta:
  • Furthermore, I don’t understand the boss. I can’t see the boss, anyways. (Seems to be a strange problem that only I have)
Kashkabald – Lusco Fusco:
  • Doesn’t follow submission guidelines (filename)
  • Feels more like world 3 to me. The two Lakitus and the bats they throw just make it very difficult to not get hit and get the P-Switch.
SAJewers - The Final Fight SAJewers – The Lounge:
  • Should be moved down in world 1
Swirlybomb – Hip-Hopping About
  • Some jumps in the second half are kinda hard for world 1, I mean the jumps from platform to platform and the vinejumps.
  • Are the blocks leading to the secret exit supposed to be invisible? That’s kinda ridiculous to find, if it would be the case.
Changelog:
31.01.: Added issue in The Final Fight by SAJewers reported by darkychao
Last edited by lukaramu 11 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Testing results/issues

Post by SAJewers »

LukaRamu wrote: SAJewers – The Lounge:
  • Too long/hard for its position, imo.
  • Pacifist/Phantom chickens in the chicken pen if you try to farm for lives there (could be the engine)
  • Also, if the floating ‘boat’ with its ‘jet’ is away and you didn’t get it, you’re pretty much screwed
  • The one coin in the pit is kind of a really mean trap.
I honestly thought it was quite easy, compared to most of the levels, though that might just be me. I don't mind if you want to move it down in world 1, or, if everyone feels it's too hard for world 1, then I can swap it and Reverse Zone (I'm of the opinion of one level per person per world).

As for length, it was my first level, and I was not sure about length. If you guys want, I can cut out the jet section and everything before it. The Chicken thing is my mistake, as I they should be all friendly, but I don't think I made them all friendly. As for the one coin trap, I honestly thought it was funny, and it's near the midpoint. I can cut it out if you really want, though I kinda like it.
As for the first two levels:
I I agree that Mild Interruptions shouldn't be right after ehilc, though I still think ehilc be the first level of world 1. maybe we should move mild interruptions.
On Lusco Fusco:
I totally agree it doesn't feel like it fits world 1. It should go in another world.
Last edited by SAJewers 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

LukaRamu wrote:Holy – Land of the Pacifists:
  • According to the wiki, there should be a secret exit. Seems like a warp is missing, as a second section is existing.
You missed the joke real badly.
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

SAJewers wrote:
  • Too long/hard for its position, imo.
  • Pacifist/Phantom chickens in the chicken pen if you try to farm for lives there (could be the engine)
  • Also, if the floating ‘boat’ with its ‘jet’ is away and you didn’t get it, you’re pretty much screwed
I honestly thought it was quite easy, compared to most of the levels, though that might just be me. I don't mind if you want to move it down in world 1, or, if everyone feels it's too hard for world 1, then I can swap it and Reverse Zone (I'm of the opinion of one level per person per world).

As for length, it was my first level, and I was not sure about length. If you guys want, I can cut out the jet section and everything before it. The Chicken thing is my mistake, as I they should be all friendly, but I don't think I made them all friendly. As for the one coin trap, I honestly thought it was funny, and it's near the midpoint. I can cut it out if you really want, though I kinda like it.
I think just moving it down it world 1 should be fine.
SAJewers wrote: As for the first two levels:
I I agree that Mild Interruptions shouldn't be right after ehilc, though I still think ehilc be the first level of world 1. maybe we should move mild interruptions.
Agreed.

dr_kraid wrote:
LukaRamu wrote:Holy – Land of the Pacifists:
  • According to the wiki, there should be a secret exit. Seems like a warp is missing, as a second section is existing.
Then explain it to me please :P
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

LukaRamu wrote:
SAJewers wrote:

I think just moving it down it world 1 should be fine.

As for the first two levels:
Agreed.
dr_kraid wrote:
Then explain it to me please :P
I'm not sure what the hubworld is going to look like, and whether or not the levels will be somewhat linear or spread out randomly, but I'm ok with moving both mentioned levels to before castle of reflection.

As for Land of the pacifists, I think you need to not be a pacifist.
Last edited by SAJewers 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

LukaRamu wrote:Then explain it to me please :P
Kill all the enemies, message appears and then return to start. By some kind of magic there will be a portal to the unknown near the starting location. I don't remember how it was made but it works.
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

I am sure good at figuring out secret exits O_o
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

LukaRamu wrote: Darkychao & Doctor Shemp – Frickin’ Meta:
  • raocow’s House has a green-ish outline. Is that intended?
  • When the ‘birdo eggs’ die, the death effect has no red in it as they have it when they are alive.
  • Furthermore, I don’t understand the boss. I can’t see the boss, anyways.
  • well, the house is really as good as i could get it to look, if you think it looks bad, I can try and fix it.
  • I'm assuming you mean the bullets, and the effects have to be default size, meaning that you can't have animations that weren't in the original sprite, such as the flashing red hand.
  • Can't see the boss? like the giant Dr.Mario virus on the right side is seriously invisible? that would be on your side, maybe reinstall smbx. unless I'm reading you wrong and you meant something else in which case please tell me
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

darkychao wrote:
  • raocow’s House has a green-ish outline. Is that intended?
  • When the ‘birdo eggs’ die, the death effect has no red in it as they have it when they are alive.
  • Furthermore, I don’t understand the boss. I can’t see the boss, anyways.
  • well, the house is really as good as i could get it to look, if you think it looks bad, I can try and fix it.
  • I'm assuming you mean the bullets, and the effects have to be default size, meaning that you can't have animations that weren't in the original sprite, such as the flashing red hand.
  • Can't see the boss? like the giant Dr.Mario virus on the right side is seriously invisible? that would be on your side, maybe reinstall smbx. unless I'm reading you wrong and you meant something else in which case please tell me
  • No, its ok in retrospektive.
  • Ah, ok
  • Already reinstalled it, wasn't working still. And I could 'pass through', so... It wasn't just invisible.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Actually, with Land of the Pacifists, my major issue is that
the Blood God isn't the tulip from Yoshi's Island
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

dr_kraid wrote:Actually, with Land of the Pacifists, my major issue is that
the Blood God isn't the tulip from Yoshi's Island
that's flesh god
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LukaRamu wrote:
darkychao wrote:
  • Already reinstalled it, wasn't working still. And I could 'pass through', so... It wasn't just invisible.
I just redownloaded the latest version and tested it and I don't get this problem. Is anyone else experiencing it? Because it seems very bizarre and I have no idea what may be causing it. However, a few things that we missed out on that should be changed anyway:
  • The folder still has graphics for Toad, which will be superfluous in the final version
  • There's a spelling error in the secret room (which I didn't even notice Darkychao had added until I triggered it Blue Booting over the level to get to the boss): "troble" instead of "trouble"
  • That secret room would actually be a great place for a password
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just downloaded it and looked in the editor. If the Bos is the Blue Dr. Mario Virus, then I see it in the editor, no idea about in game. One Sec.

EDIT: WFM. However, you should probably consider fixing the leaf graphic to fit the new graphic.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

LukaRamu wrote:Cadwyn – Cavey Cave Cavelands:
  • In the cave, the music doesn’t play.
Not sure how that happened, as it works just fine on my end. Here's the freshly updated link though, in case I somehow posted a broken version: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98897370/cadwy ... elands.zip

If that still doesn't work I just don't know man. Maybe try re-installing SMBX, but I honestly don't know if that would fix the issue.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

LukaRamu wrote:Swirlybomb – Hip-Hopping About
  • I guess the Tanooki Suit is well-hidden enough to justify its placement in world 1 (I only found it while searching for eventual secrets I missed, also it is probable that you lose it before you finish the level :P ). Thing is, you miss the midpoint by getting it, which is kinda meh.
  • Also, some jumps in the second half are kinda hard for world 1, I mean the jumps from platform to platform and the vinejumps.
  • Are the blocks leading to the secret exit supposed to be invisible? That’s kinda ridiculous to find, if it would be the case.
  • I didn’t have music in the secret exit leek room. Is that intended?
I didn't actually place the level myself, so issues with being in world 1 are like... well, if it would fit better in, say, world 2 or something and there's another level that could be moved to world 1, perhaps someone will be on that. Or it could just be 'the challenging level of world 1'. Though if, say, the vine jumps are legitimately too much, they could be extended by a tile each or something.
  • I kinda thought that getting the Tanooki Suit and skipping a small bit of the level is a fair tradeoff for missing the midpoint, but if you know the midpoint is there, you can still easily go back to it. Maybe the exit point can drop down to the midpoint instead if it's really necessary.
  • The idea for the secret exit is that you get the Tanooki Suit and search around a little bit to reveal the invisible blocks leading to the secret pipe. I was trying to create a legitimately-non-obvious secret exit. Though, I suppose there could be invisible blocks on the other side of the pit too to make it easier, if necessary.
  • The secret exit room is supposed to have the same level theme as the rest of the level... Evidently I forgot to change the folder name when I submitted the level :x I'll fix that myself if I need to re-submit the whole level, or I'll just ask someone else if not.
If I can be all Butting-into-other-peoples'-business McGee, standard Mario level design is that "if there's a coin there, you can get it without dying/getting hurt", so if there's just a blatant 'haha gotcha' trap... well, there shouldn't be.
(clearly I'm technically breaking the rule by placing a couple coins inside inaccessible spots in my level, but I don't think that counts)
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Seriously I think I made the easiest level in the hack. You can put mine earlier if need be.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

So, I tested again because the bugs REALLY felt strange. Deleted SMBX, got fresh Dev Kit, redownloaded the levels with the freshest link I could find.

In CCC by Cadwyn, the music still doesn't play. However, as I wanted to look at the sound mixer/properties, and went back into SMBX, this window popped up (I stretched I so I could see the full title):
ASMXBT Problem.png
ASMXBT Problem.png (31.38 KiB) Viewed 11224 times
As I write this, I notice that there is a \\. But this couldn't be it because the custum music path in the level settings was correct. Does anyone know how to fix this?

With Frickin Meta, it didn't show up in the editor for me. I placed it, saved the level, tested it, and it wasn't appearing? I don't know whats up with that.
Also, my OCD was kicking in and I fixed raocow's house for you. It's attached.
Attachments
frickin meta.zip
The graphics fix
(19.58 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

darkychao wrote:
that's flesh god
Flesh Lord actually, but the point is we only got room for one Elder God up in here and it's not gonna be that comma-shaped usurper.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

swirlybomb wrote: [*]The one coin in the pit is kind of a really mean trap.[/list][/spoiler]
If I can be all Butting-into-other-peoples'-business McGee, standard Mario level design is that "if there's a coin there, you can get it without dying/getting hurt", so if there's just a blatant 'haha gotcha' trap... well, there shouldn't be.
(clearly I'm technically breaking the rule by placing a couple coins inside inaccessible spots in my level, but I don't think that counts)
[/quote]
Ok, If I replaced the one coin with a coin arrow above the trap, would that be better?
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

SAJewers wrote:
Ok, If I replaced the one coin with a coin arrow above the trap, would that be better?
I would say so.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

OK, I made that change, any other changes I need to make?
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

SAJewers wrote:OK, I made that change, any other changes I need to make?
No, I don't think so.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LukaRamu, in "Frickin' Meta",
Is it still possible for you to beat the boss even though it's invisble? You're meant to pick the bullets up and throw them to the right so they hit him. I suppose that would check if it's a graphic issue or if he's just completely not there.
lukaramu
not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

Doctor Shemp wrote:LukaRamu, in "Frickin' Meta",
Is it still possible for you to beat the boss even though it's invisble? You're meant to pick the bullets up and throw them to the right so they hit him. I suppose that would check if it's a graphic issue or if he's just completely not there.
I pick the bullets up, and on all heights they hit the wall. Maybe it's just my SMBX which is really trolling me (although I redownloaded it, so I wouldn't know where the problem whould be).
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LukaRamu wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:LukaRamu, in "Frickin' Meta",
I pick the bullets up, and on all heights they hit the wall. Maybe it's just my SMBX which is really trolling me (although I redownloaded it, so I wouldn't know where the problem whould be).
Our level's trolled a bunch of people's computers, with some older versions not even opening on some. I think Darkychao and I have created the Macbeth of SMBX levels.