(shouting)

THE DEADLINE!

an SMBX collaboration hack!
shaman

THE DEADLINE!

Post by shaman »

Hey there peeps

Considering we're past 50% of levels concluded, I've decided to define a deadline for submitting FINISHED levels.

that deadline is the 31st of January

Please note that, under no circumstance, we will accept finished levels after this date, even if it was deep into development and/or almost done.
If your level only needs a review or a small touch before that date, submit it anyway, and we will accept it, as long it fits the guidelines correctly, so pay close attention to that.

After that date, we will gather the finished dev kit, with all replaced graphics, and add all levels to the HUB, accordingly with the world distribution decided by then.

If everything goes accordingly, the game should be released in february.

Any questions, feel free to PM me, or post on this thread.
is this videogames?
Kashkabald

Re: THE DEADLINE!

Post by Kashkabald »

Releasing in the first week of February seems too soon. We should have at least a month to playtest the game itself and make small changes here and there.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Kashkabald wrote:Releasing in the first week of February seems too soon. We should have at least a month to playtest the game itself and make small changes here and there.
that's why I said it "should" be released, not that it is going to be released.
one week is way more than we need to playtest every single level, and if any fixes are required, they should be minor and not take too much time
is this videogames?
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

One week to playtest over 100 levels, and build a hub based on their difficulty? Good luck.

can't honestly see somebody playing through 100 levels in a week.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Chari Tsuki
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Chari Tsuki »

Well you've never met me. I could be a hundred in a day if given enough time.
ASMBXT Download (For those who would like to re-live the good old days!): http://www.mediafire.com/download/h1d39idk4gdf3wi
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Yeah, uh, just making it a final final deadline isn't perhaps the best idea, nor is the amount of time given afterwards really enough.

Perhaps a check during some time to see if we have a good estimated difficulty balance? We don't want to end up with a bunch of late game levels and barely any early game, I'd imagine. Granted, I'm not entirely sure if raocow himself would mind that, but aren't we releasing it to the public as well, ala ASMT?
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Should the testers have to beat the levels? Or should they just go on first impressions. Because if it's just first impressions - then I could see them getting through them all. (if they have a lot of time)
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Considering we currently have all of two people (myself included) doing graphics and spritework, I certainly hope we aren't expecting to finish absolutely everything by early February. Levels are understandable, but Demo's spritesheet isn't even finished.
shaman

Post by shaman »

docopoper wrote:One week to playtest over 100 levels, and build a hub based on their difficulty? Good luck.

can't honestly see somebody playing through 100 levels in a week.
the 2nd and 3rd parts will be done previously. we are already making the world distribution on the wiki, and the HUB is already being build

the only thing that can delay the game more is the sprite work, as cadwyn says, but considering the rate they're coming out, I honestly expect everything to be done by then.

anyway, I'll change the wording on the original post anyway, saying first week of february may be a stretch, indeed.

about playtesting, it will simply be a "public beta" here on the talkhaus. the whole game will be available to download and people will report broken stuff on a thread, simple as that.
is this videogames?
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Ok, if we take it that each level would take 14 minutes to complete. (Which is probably a pretty generous average).

And 14.3 levels have to be completed a day.

That works out to 3 hours and 20 minutes of solid level playing per day. And that's given my - what I think is generous - estimate (especially given some of the levels in this pack).

Committing that much time every day for a week is a great way to burn yourself out.

EDIT:
I thought we were going to get one person to play through all the levels and re-rate their difficulty.
Last edited by docopoper 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

shaman666 wrote:that deadline is the 31th of January
Do you by chance mean the 31st? Sorry I'm a bit picky like that.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
shaman

Post by shaman »

Pholtos wrote:
shaman666 wrote:that deadline is the 31th of January
Do you by chance mean the 31st? Sorry I'm a bit picky like that.
friggin english language and it's little thingies

fixed
is this videogames?
Chari Tsuki

Post by Chari Tsuki »

I can test every level in a few days. I mean really it's not that hard.
ASMBXT Download (For those who would like to re-live the good old days!): http://www.mediafire.com/download/h1d39idk4gdf3wi
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Sounds fine to me.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

That'll give me plenty of time to finish my A2MT level and create a couple levels for this project. I really want to partake in this but A2MT has to be my top priority, we are so close to getting all the levels done! :D
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

shaman666 wrote:the only thing that can delay the game more is the sprite work, as cadwyn says, but considering the rate they're coming out, I honestly expect everything to be done by then.
I'll take that as a vote of confidence. :) But yeah, it's just this is my first time working on a project like this, so I have no concept of what the time frames can be like. Guess I'll be learning as we go.

But man, I still have 1 (huge) level to finalize, plus 3 more to submit and 1 of those hasn't even been started yet. Looks like I got my work cut out, but given what's been accomplished in just 1 month I'd say the time frame given is reasonable.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

shaman666 wrote: friggin english language and it's little thingies

fixed
I had a feeling. Of course with the internet I can never tell a person's primary language.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

If you are working on a thing and the deadline flies past, there's probably going to be a sequel (that we will get illusions of grandeur about that will lead to development hell)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Chari Tsuki

Post by Chari Tsuki »

A2MBXT? YES!
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

raocow wrote:If you are working on a thing and the deadline flies past, there's probably going to be a sequel (that we will get illusions of grandeur about that will lead to development hell)
YES, a multi-planar overworld, 150 levels, respriting EVERY tile and sprite, all characters selectable in all levels, a cutscene for the beginning, every world and end, all custom music and sound, and a plug at every fan game community from Talkhaus to Valve MUAHAHAHA!

... woah, getting ahead of ourselves there.
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ignoritus »

Cadwyn wrote:
raocow wrote:If you are working on a thing and the deadline flies past, there's probably going to be a sequel (that we will get illusions of grandeur about that will lead to development hell)
YES, a multi-planar overworld, 150 levels, respriting EVERY tile and sprite, all characters selectable in all levels, a cutscene for the beginning, every world and end, all custom music and sound, and a plug at every fan game community from Talkhaus to Valve MUAHAHAHA!

... woah, getting ahead of ourselves there.
The scary part is that half of those sound plausible.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Pholtos wrote: I had a feeling. Of course with the internet I can never tell a person's primary language.
my excuse is that the deadline I imposed first as the 30th, so right after realizing January had a 31st, I only changed the 0 to 1.
and yeah, my first language is portuguese
not while I'm taking care of stuff haha. I'm a preacher for agile development, and simplicity will always reign superior to fancy stuff
I assure a2mbxt will never suffer the same fate as a2mt
is this videogames?
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

shaman666 wrote:
not while I'm taking care of stuff haha. I'm a preacher for agile development, and simplicity will always reign superior to fancy stuff
I assure a2mbxt will never suffer the same fate as a2mt
Imagine doing 'Waterfall' method for a project like this? Would break apart within weeks if not days.
fart.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Then when that is almost done, we'll decide to make a hack in a different engine for reasons. Maybe SMB3 next time..Or Yoshi's Island if we're crazy.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

AUS wrote:Or Yoshi's Island if we're crazy.
I don't wanna know how difficult that hack would be... (sorry for off topic)