(shouting)

ASMBXT - Password System

an SMBX collaboration hack!
Kashkabald

ASMBXT - Password System

Post by Kashkabald »

So yeah, I mentioned I'd make a topic on this. Lemme explain my idea on detail.

Basically, some levels, aside from whatever hidden exits they might have, they could also house a password, which would be hidden somewhere in the level
like this example on one of my levels Image of course the pass is fake and the key doesn't actually do anything.
. The password would be typed in the launcher, which would point to a webpage about the game, such as in this 5-minute mockup:

Clicking the password link would prompt you for a password, and after you typed it you would get your reward.

Ideas for possible rewards:
-The new cheat codes (check the string replacement thread)
-Artwork (either fanart, or some new official Rao artwork I guess)
-Hints about other levels
-General sillyness

As of now, the only level I know of ready for the system is one of my own (Lusco-Fusco). Since it's a quite easy world 1 or 2 level with a very badly hidden password, the reward should be minimal (a joke would fit in quite nicely with the level). The rewards should be better as the game goes on.
Kashkabald

Re: ASMBXT - Password System

Post by Kashkabald »

8flight wrote:
Will the lvls be marked if they have a pass or not?
They should, since secret exits and dragon coins and etc are marked.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

I'm all for this idea, and intend to put a password in at least 2 of my levels.

Given the limited nature of this feature, should we establish a short list of password "reservations" that people can claim/surrender as needed?
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

So if we want to have a password for our level, should we post it in this thread with the password itself?

Also, someone should make a page or edit a page on the wiki indicating which levels have passwords and whatnot. And to be able to set a limit of passwords we can have.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Ultimately how it's coordinated is up to shaman666 himself, but my idea would be having the level designers note if there's a password, and in-game having the level name note that as well (so a level named "Test Level" would be "Test Level [P]" or something).

We also need to properly adjudicate the rewards to each level.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

sturgyman wrote:Also, someone should make a page or edit a page on the wiki indicating which levels have passwords and whatnot. And to be able to set a limit of passwords we can have.
Done! I included some starting guidelines to get the ball rolling, just stuff that seemed reasonable and/or good to pin down right away.
EDIT: Also someone's gonna have to check on that "coins don't get collected when set to Friendly" blurb I added; I seem to recall "collectable" NPCs could be rendered uncollectable by setting them as Friendly, but I don't know if that applies to all of them.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Is there any specific guidelines for what the password should be, or is it up to the level creator to make up the password any way he or she wants?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chari Tsuki
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Chari Tsuki »

Cadwyn wrote:
sturgyman wrote:Also, someone should make a page or edit a page on the wiki indicating which levels have passwords and whatnot. And to be able to set a limit of passwords we can have.
Done! I included some starting guidelines to get the ball rolling, just stuff that seemed reasonable and/or good to pin down right away.
EDIT: Also someone's gonna have to check on that "coins don't get collected when set to Friendly" blurb I added; I seem to recall "collectable" NPCs could be rendered uncollectable by setting them as Friendly, but I don't know if that applies to all of them.
If set to friendly they aren't collectable.
ASMBXT Download (For those who would like to re-live the good old days!): http://www.mediafire.com/download/h1d39idk4gdf3wi
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

So if I want to add a password, I just say so here?

The library level will have a password, then! That is my official mention!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Yeah. I think the absolute best way is to just state the intent now, and then distribute the rewards according to the final level positions in each world.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Are these passwords more supposed to be hidden or hard to get?
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
shaman

Post by shaman »

docopoper wrote:Are these passwords more supposed to be hidden or hard to get?
that's for you, the mr. level designer, to decide!
is this videogames?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Kashkabald wrote:Yeah. I think the absolute best way is to just state the intent now, and then distribute the rewards according to the final level positions in each world.
In that case, I have one in Final Fight.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Forgot to say, and it might be obvious, but Lusco-Fusco will have a password.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Life Lift now has a password. What do we do after putting in a password? Do I need to post is somewhere? And what about the content it provides? Do I have to make it, or will other people do that?
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

So, I assume the password system is still going ahead right? Because nobody has mentioned anything about it for quite a while.

shaman

Post by shaman »

well, I'm expecting kashkabald to have the website thingie ready together with the game and all the hard-coded stuff he was working on
I'm not going to miss this feature if it doesn't make to the launch, to be honest, but let's see how it goes
is this videogames?
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Well, if it doesn't make it into the launch, I'm going to have to make an edit to one of my levels to give a different reward than a password.

Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

docopoper wrote:Well, if it doesn't make it into the launch, I'm going to have to make an edit to one of my levels to give a different reward than a password.
Same here, probably a second exit.
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

shaman wrote:well, I'm expecting kashkabald to have the website thingie ready together with the game and all the hard-coded stuff he was working on
I'm not going to miss this feature if it doesn't make to the launch, to be honest, but let's see how it goes
I don't see why can't it make to the launch: as far as I know there's no launch date set, there's only a level deadline, there's still a whole month or two or three of betatesting and whatnot.

Which brings me to one point: I'm getting the feeling the game is being rushed for one reason or another, and it's putting me off the whole project because of that. Your comments about the betatesting period on the other topic kinda confirmed my suspicions. Nothing personal, but if the game is effectively rushed I'll ask to remove any credits to me.

I just feel we can take the time and polish the product and add a lot of small touches (something the SMBX engine is good at) and not rush it for the sake of seeing raocow LP it ASAP or something.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Kashkabald wrote:
I don't see why can't it make to the launch: as far as I know there's no launch date set, there's only a level deadline, there's still a whole month or two or three of betatesting and whatnot.

Which brings me to one point: I'm getting the feeling the game is being rushed for one reason or another, and it's putting me off the whole project because of that. Your comments about the betatesting period on the other topic kinda confirmed my suspicions. Nothing personal, but if the game is effectively rushed I'll ask to remove any credits to me.

I just feel we can take the time and polish the product and add a lot of small touches (something the SMBX engine is good at) and not rush it for the sake of seeing raocow LP it ASAP or something.
I think the only intended rushing was on finishing levels, so that we're not waiting forever on levels. With the overflow of levels, there's been more of an unintended rush it seems, and now I get the feeling that people want to see this done so raocow can lp this right after he finishes VIP1.

However, I agree that we should maybe slow down and get things right. The only set date was a level deadline of the end of january, with the thought that testing would take less than a month. With the amount of stuff left to do, I think we can afford to not rush, and still be able to get this done by the first of march.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

There's definitely going to be at least one 'major' game between vip1 and this, I think.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Yeah. In fact - I think we should specifically aim not to have this come out for raocow's next LP, if we do that - then we can be sure that it is being completed with quality in mind instead of release time.

I guess we can set another deadline when this deadline expires.

I actually do quite like the idea of having the password system. I was just getting a bit unsettled because I don't know whether I have to make the content for the password, and because sometimes ideas die - like my external editor thingey did (I did actually use it for one of my levels though) - and I wanted to fix my levels if necessary.

If you're still working on it though - that's great. :)

raocow

Post by raocow »

I personally have no idea what your external editor even.. do! Your posts where always so vague, haha /derail
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Yeah, I had great plans for it... But then I found out that you could only have 99 layers and 98 events (or maybe it's the other way around). But anyway - that kind of destroyed my moral since it really reduced the usefulness of the editor.