(shouting)

Level distribution by world

an SMBX collaboration hack!
shaman

Level distribution by world

Post by shaman »

Hey there fellas

so, the point of this thread is to position each level on each world, according to difficulty/contents/whatever. I think we have decided on 8 worlds of 10 levels each, plus 2 extra worlds (one post-game difficulty and one "gimmick" world), so this is what we're doing. We will probably adjust this a lot during the game's development, so nothing you see here is final until the game is out. Suggestions are also welcome, and if you desire your level to be in an specific position, ask away!
I've already added my own levels, according to the feedback I had on their difficulty.

The current version is on the wiki:

http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/World
is this videogames?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level distribution by world

Post by SAJewers »

Ascetic Skies, Hope Rides, Alone, Ehclic Os Era Sekamer,Firelands, Reverse Zone, Final Fight, You Should Know could go into a "Video Game Town" world or something, they're all intended to be homages/references to various video games.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

So does 'Demo's Souls' I'm assuming, are they similare in terms of difficulty?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

My level "Welcome" could go in that world too.
shaman

Post by shaman »

raocow wrote:So does 'Demo's Souls' I'm assuming, are they similare in terms of difficulty?
Uhh, not really, Demo's Souls is supposed to be endgame difficulty (as expected from the reference itself haha)
I wasn't really thinking on "theming" the worlds, that's something very hard to do on a collab, and nothing I would suggest, really.
is this videogames?
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

My Lethal Lava Cave is definitely more early game material, maybe start of world 2/end of world 1 even depending on how difficult and complex people think it is? It's straightforward but uses a couple basic SMBX-specific things so you might want it to introduce those
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

To make it clear: It was decided that worlds are done by difficulty ONLY, to avoid the difficulty spikes of death.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

would my one current level count as last world or post game?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'm unsure where the plain of the lesser used would go... Maybe midgame to early-ish. I really have no clue.

I think from players reactions both tunnel and elemental confusion would be somewhere end game, one of the last worlds from the looks of it.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
shaman

Post by shaman »

raocow wrote:would my one current level count as last world or post game?
I'd say last world, it's hard but it's doable. post-game is where we'll put the really insane stuff, like you suggested
is this videogames?
raocow

Post by raocow »

I think it's pretty clear we are so-so judges of our own levels. Anyone that played a lot of the levels would like to attempt something? Like, pholtos, you reviewed a bunch of levels, for example.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

So, what about my level - Revolution? It's more orientated around being artistic as opposed to being a legitimate level. It would seem weird to me to put an artistic level right at the beginning of the game - but it is pretty easy. I don't know if it should be early or mid-game.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

docopoper wrote:So, what about my level - Revolution? It's more orientated around being artistic as opposed to being a legitimate level. It would seem weird to me to put an artistic level right at the beginning of the game - but it is pretty easy. I don't know if it should be early or mid-game.
World 2 or 3.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

So is it okay for us to insert our own levels into the world distribution at this point, or at least after a bit of discussion to make sure more than just the creator agree? Also Shaman said 10 worlds plus the 2 extra, but I only see 8 + 2 extra on the wiki. Not a big deal to expand it, just making sure I understood as that's a 20 level difference right there.

For my own levels, Cavey Cave and Echlic are obviously early world 1 by design, Climbing the Mountain and Questionable Content could be world 2 or 3 if only for some tricky jumping areas.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Gosh, um...
I guess Shy Guy's Pinball Machine could probably be placed around world 4-5?
Haunted Sky Mansion probably more endgame, like world 8?
Those are my suggestions, so if you feel like they should go elsewhere, feel free to.
I'm not a great judge at difficulty.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
raocow

Post by raocow »

Cadwyn wrote:So is it okay for us to insert our own levels into the world distribution at this point, or at least after a bit of discussion to make sure more than just the creator agree? Also Shaman said 10 worlds plus the 2 extra, but I only see 8 + 2 extra on the wiki. Not a big deal to expand it, just making sure I understood as that's a 20 level difference right there.
I'd go as far as to permit people to place other people's levels if there is a good consensus.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If tutorial of Spikes is going to be in world 4, as in the wiki, then I nominate ehilc as the first level of world 1.

As for my levels, The lounge can go in world 1, reverse zone can probaly go in one of the early levels, while Charlie's Revenge and Final fight can go as bosses, maybe late game. Not sure on Synthetic Nightmare, Technical Difficulties, and The Uncompleted Dare.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

I think that after we all place our worlds, it should be left up to a beta tester to re-order them. But placing them ourselves should make the beta testing its'self a bit easier.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
raocow

Post by raocow »

It's because I just know some people won't put up their own level in the wiki, and it'd be dumb to 'loose out' because of this, when originaly we pretty clearly said 'you just have to do a whatever level oh man'.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Cadwyn wrote:So is it okay for us to insert our own levels into the world distribution at this point, or at least after a bit of discussion to make sure more than just the creator agree? Also Shaman said 10 worlds plus the 2 extra, but I only see 8 + 2 extra on the wiki. Not a big deal to expand it, just making sure I understood as that's a 20 level difference right there.

For my own levels, Cavey Cave and Echlic are obviously early world 1 by design, Climbing the Mountain and Questionable Content could be world 2 or 3 if only for some tricky jumping areas.
whoops, my bad, I intended to say 8 world + 2 extra, 10 total, got all that mixed up
is this videogames?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

I think Glazed Donut Dungeon could fit in like world 7 or 8 maybe even 6 if any of them happen to be snowy lands. I would definitely put Flight Sim in gimmick world unless flying is more post game than gimmicky (gimmicky sounds post game also to me haha)
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
shaman

Post by shaman »

aterraformer wrote:I think Glazed Donut Dungeon could fit in like world 7 or 8 maybe even 6 if any of them happen to be snowy lands. I would definitely put Flight Sim in gimmick world unless flying is more post game than gimmicky (gimmicky sounds post game also to me haha)
I'm separating them because there can be a gimmicky level that's pretty easy.

I'm actually considering scraping the idea of a gimmick world and make the gimmick levels a secret entrance at each world. what do you guys think?
is this videogames?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

shaman666 wrote: I'm separating them because there can be a gimmicky level that's pretty easy.

I'm actually considering scraping the idea of a gimmick world and make the gimmick levels a secret entrance at each world. what do you guys think?
Nifty.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

docopoper wrote:I think that after we all place our worlds, it should be left up to a beta tester to re-order them. But placing them ourselves should make the beta testing itself a bit easier.
LukaRamu volunteered to do this in the ASMBXT Discussion Thread (unless he's changed his mind since). There's probably more people who'd do it too. Pholtos has already played a bunch of levels and is doing more so maybe him? Not that I want to put his hand up for him or anything. Otherwise though I'd go with LukaRamu's suggestion that the beta testers be good enough at the engine to play through all the levels so they can sort them fairly.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

If need be I will help with the level placing aspect. I have a month-long break starting this thursday so I'll have plenty of time to help out if needed.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing: