(shouting)

ASMBXT Level Review Thread

an SMBX collaboration hack!
Trotim

Re: ASMBXT Level Review Thread

Post by Trotim »

Pholtos wrote:I'm going to ask this so I can get it off my mind. Do you guys want me to keep reviewing the levels? I think I'm a bit too nitpicky, and I think I may unintentionally get people to lower the difficulty of their level. (Unsure about that, it's an assumption. I have yet to replay a level that I have reviewed in the past.)
Of course you should keep reviewing. If you don't want to do more WIP levels yet how about reviewing (and rating the difficulty of?) finished levels?
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

I've enjoyed watching all the reviews, even if none of mine have currently been reviewed. It's exciting to see what people are coming up with, and the video format reveals a lot more than a paragraph or two could.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Yes. Definitely keep reviewing in video format! They are so much more helpful than text reviews. Even if you are being a bit nit-picky, knowing what you find fun and what you don't is a valuable tool. I was personally paying attention to your playing more than your words, as they showed what parts of a level a new player would find confusing or difficult. What you were saying was just an aid to understanding that.

You're not making people lower the difficulty directly. You're just showing the designer what's unfair difficulty - and there's no problem in reducing that.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Trotim wrote:
Pholtos wrote:I'm going to ask this so I can get it off my mind. Do you guys want me to keep reviewing the levels? I think I'm a bit too nitpicky, and I think I may unintentionally get people to lower the difficulty of their level. (Unsure about that, it's an assumption. I have yet to replay a level that I have reviewed in the past.)
Of course you should keep reviewing. If you don't want to do more WIP levels yet how about reviewing (and rating the difficulty of?) finished levels?
I second this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

All right I guess I'll continue helping with the review process then.

More Reviews!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGE5cXu_uI0

Levels Reviewed:
Blood Cavern by Willhart
Block Overhang by Xutawoo
Castle of the Moonlit Cliff by Xutawoo
Hope Rides Alone by Cadwyn
Spikey Cavey by Duker

Edit: Updated review of Blood Cavern : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5LkNfIr4O8
Last edited by pholtos 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Pholtos wrote:*snip*
Thanks for the review!
Yeah, I think the whole "plot" needs some work, as it's pretty much one long remake of The Protomen's debut album. The cutscene I have planned at least will show how the world is under Dr. Wily's rule and Dr. Light made Protoman to fight, yadda yadda... I'll see if I can clear things up for those who don't know the reference.

Also, no editing the sound effects on a per-level basis sadly. If it was possible I'd totally change all sorts of sounds but I've actually had my hands full with the graphics and music alone.

That trek back to the rooftops does look painful though... I'll see what I can do about that.

Also since you didn't demo it; those spikes are instant death. lol
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

On Block Overhang
It's pretty much supposed to just be a early-ish level, yeah. Nothing too difficult, unless you want to go for the Dragon Coins and even then it's not that hard.
On Castle on the Moonlit Cliff
The theme of this level is endurance! Hence why it's a boss rush and a long level tied into one. Somehow I didn't realize the left path on the lava fall was that much easier, but eh, I think I'll leave it. Also, the pipe not being there without the switch isn't arbitrary, considering the amount of flying things you can make use of in the level; if it was always there, then you could skip the quadruple Boom Booms and the lava lake if you're good enough with a leaf!

Also, I was somewhat disappointed when you didn't take to exploring when you got the boot. I know you were just trying to get it done and such, but as you saw in both the editor and in-game there's areas you can get to with the boot. Not to mention to can now grab boots everywhere. I suppose there's no real indication of any of this, really, even the fact that that part of the level is one big section, but eh it's supposed to be a secret anyway. :P
MrWeirdGuy

Post by MrWeirdGuy »

I hate to be that guy, but could someone re-review Firelands and Leaky Jungle?
Please and thank you. :V
This is my signature because I am a boring individual. Yep.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.

Post by docopoper »

Ok, I've finally released the update to my levels that I have been working on for weeks. Could somebody please take another look at them. I think they're ready to submit - but I'd like to be sure.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Ok, I replayed Pholtos' Tunnel due to it saying that it needed a re-review on the wiki (it was probably outdated - but I don't mind since I really like the level).

I remember originally playing this level - it was pretty hard, but it was action packed enough to keep my attention. I originally had a lot of trouble at the first set of spires - I kept falling off and found it difficult to land the jump on a two wide sloped platform while still maintaining speed. Later I had trouble with the overhang that forces you to stop near the end of the level - the lava would always get me.

But now I can beat it - and I've got to say - while the jumps in some places are a bit precise (like jumping on the blue pipe at the beginning), this is so far my favourite level - I really liked the music and the sense of momentum you kept going. The level is also varied enough to give you that sense of progress that is really necessary in this sort of level. Overall - the level gave me the same sort of addiction as the tricky treasures in Rayman Origins.

EDIT:
There is one thing that bugged me though - could you fix the graphical cutoff on the ramps right before the first set of spires please?

EDIT 2:
Ok, here - I did it for you: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49070895/Pholt ... 0Fixes.zip
It replaces two of the normal SMW grass tiles.

Also - sorry about the double post, I didn't notice.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

docopoper wrote:Stuff.
Ah thanks, I was waiting for someone to re-review it.

Yeah the point was to make a fun challenge, also if you played version 3 that is the current version. I haven't really touched graphics ever so if you did help fix the spires thanks.

With that I think tunnel is ready to be pronounced finished.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

docopoper

Post by docopoper »

Pholtos wrote:
Ah thanks, I was waiting for someone to re-review it.

Yeah the point was to make a fun challenge, also if you played version 3 that is the current version. I haven't really touched graphics ever so if you did help fix the spires thanks.

With that I think tunnel is ready to be pronounced finished.
I played the version on the wiki - I assume that's version 3. Right?
Also - you have to edit the level yourself to put the sprites in. I can't really do that part for you. But it should be pretty easy to do.

shaman

Post by shaman »

Re-review of Final Fight
haha I like what you did there. but the final boss can be trivialized if you jump off the koopa kar and magnifying-glass bowser and larry to death.
other than that's it's a great improvement over the version I firstly reviewed, good job
just remember to set up the correct place for Player 1, since the version I played was just before the last boss and I had to change it accordingly to play the whole level
also there's a new level by me waiting to be reviewed, if anyone would be so kind =)
is this videogames?
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

shaman666 wrote:there's a new level by me waiting to be reviewed, if anyone would be so kind =)
Wow, I really liked your level... it's very simple, yet complex and creative at the same time. I can't really think of anything major that was wrong with it... although, it struck me as kind of weird to have two SMW thwomps followed by a SMB3 thwomp. I dunno.

Also, it can kind of be annoying if you miss the powerup right by the midpoint. What I mean is:

If you are facing the edge of the screen then the powerup just goes right offscreen. Perhaps if you moved it to the box on the right side it would give the player time to catch it if they accidentally did that.

I apologize that those were oddly specific, although I always like to point out at least SOMETHING in my reviews. Welp.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-a0dPPNzs

Rereviewed:
Final Flight by SAJewers
Spikey Cavey by Duker
Exciting Sky Cave! by Frozelar
Pebble's Peaks by docopoper
Revolution by docopoper
Timed Jumps on Moving Everything by docopoper
Last edited by pholtos 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

shaman

Post by shaman »

Frozelar wrote:
Wow, I really liked your level... it's very simple, yet complex and creative at the same time. I can't really think of anything major that was wrong with it... although, it struck me as kind of weird to have two SMW thwomps followed by a SMB3 thwomp. I dunno.

Also, it can kind of be annoying if you miss the powerup right by the midpoint. What I mean is:

If you are facing the edge of the screen then the powerup just goes right offscreen. Perhaps if you moved it to the box on the right side it would give the player time to catch it if they accidentally did that.

I apologize that those were oddly specific, although I always like to point out at least SOMETHING in my reviews. Welp.
ah, thanks
I'll change that powerup then, it also happened to me once or twice, but I didn't think it was a big deal
also didn't even realize I used 2 different kinds of thwomps, I'll get that fixed as well!
is this videogames?
docopoper

Post by docopoper »

shaman666 wrote:also there's a new level by me waiting to be reviewed, if anyone would be so kind =)
I gave your level a quick play - and I do quite like it. The stark contrast between the red of the second section and blue of the first was striking - it worked well. I also thought the way the thwomps moved on the boat was cool. Speaking of the boat - I noticed that if you get the fire flower from the question mark block on it - due to the movement - it glitches out and gets ejected out the side of the block awkwardly.

In the second section - the big boo never really presented a normal challenge to me, it either blocked me in and made me have to draw it out so that I could get past - or it was simply no threat.

Other than those too bits though - it was fun and worked well. The blargs caught me off guard, but in a good way. Yeah - I like this level.

shaman

Post by shaman »

docopoper wrote:
shaman666 wrote:also there's a new level by me waiting to be reviewed, if anyone would be so kind =)
I gave your level a quick play - and I do quite like it. The stark contrast between the red of the second section and blue of the first was striking - it worked well. I also thought the way the thwomps moved on the boat was cool. Speaking of the boat - I noticed that if you get the fire flower from the question mark block on it - due to the movement - it glitches out and gets ejected out the side of the block awkwardly.

In the second section - the big boo never really presented a normal challenge to me, it either blocked me in and made me have to draw it out so that I could get past - or it was simply no threat.

Other than those too bits though - it was fun and worked well. The blargs caught me off guard, but in a good way. Yeah - I like this level.
thanks! and yeah, there's nothing I can do about the fireflower there other than moving it away from the boat, it's how the layer things works basically. Maybe I'll move it to the next unmoving land.

also remember to spoiler your reviews so a certain someone doesn't read it before he plays!
is this videogames?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

shaman666 wrote:Re-review of Final Fight
haha I like what you did there. but the final boss can be trivialized if you jump off the koopa kar and magnifying-glass bowser and larry to death.
other than that's it's a great improvement over the version I firstly reviewed, good job
just remember to set up the correct place for Player 1, since the version I played was just before the last boss and I had to change it accordingly to play the whole level
also there's a new level by me waiting to be reviewed, if anyone would be so kind =)
Yeah, I noticed that after I uploaded it, and fixed it and re-uploaded it. Care to explain what you mean about trivializing the boss? I don't understand.

EDIT: Ah, I see what you mean, Use Boomerang raocow and kill them with the axe. I'll look at fixing that.

EDIT2: Ok, fixed it with a generator and rainbow shells.
Last edited by SAJewers 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Ah SAJewers my review might be a little off since I reviewed the version that had screwed up spawning for Mario. Whoops?

The video finally finished processing by the way. It's up now.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Pholtos wrote:Ah SAJewers my review might be a little off since I reviewed the version that had screwed up spawning for Mario. Whoops?

The video finally finished processing by the way. It's up now.
That's ok, maybe retry it once I fix a few more things.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Thanks for the review! Slight wall of text response so I'll just spoiler it.
I know about level-outside-folder whatevs, just didn't wanna bother before final submission. I'll have it fixed by then, dont you worry :p .

Do you think the midpoint is needed? You went through it pretty swiftly so length-wise I think it would be ok without, but the spin-jump right after might be a bit too much trial and error which is why I put it there mostly in the first place so there's not too much to replay each time.

Difficulty wise, does late world 2 or early world 3 sound about right to you? (of course a bit harder if I would remove the midpoint)

I still find the spinies dying humorous, but the result after the initial reaction is very validly "well, no reason to not wait" which goes directly against what I set out which was a speedy and fairly fluid level, I need to think about that part a bit.

Ok didn't became as much of a wall of text as I thought, might as well extend it a bit for no reason! :3
fart.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Duker wrote:Thanks for the review! Slight wall of text response so I'll just spoiler it.
I know about level-outside-folder whatevs, just didn't wanna bother before final submission. I'll have it fixed by then, dont you worry :p .

Do you think the midpoint is needed? You went through it pretty swiftly so length-wise I think it would be ok without, but the spin-jump right after might be a bit too much trial and error which is why I put it there mostly in the first place so there's not too much to replay each time.

Difficulty wise, does late world 2 or early world 3 sound about right to you? (of course a bit harder if I would remove the midpoint)

I still find the spinies dying humorous, but the result after the initial reaction is very validly "well, no reason to not wait" which goes directly against what I set out which was a speedy and fairly fluid level, I need to think about that part a bit.

Ok didn't became as much of a wall of text as I thought, might as well extend it a bit for no reason! :3
I feel like with the midpoint it's probably late world 1, early world 2 maybe. Without the midpoint, world 2-3. It's your choice. We may need some early game levels.

If you want the level to be more fluid perhaps simply removing the podoboo's would be best. Or else expand that section to keep the podoboo's but not have them kill the spinies.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Thank you for rereviewing my level again, Pholtos!
Over the update I did actually add a mushroom to that "useless" area by the start, looks like you just missed it...

Also as far as the snakeitu's height thing in the first main room, timing is key. If you wait for him to go to a far side then run you should be able to make it without him hurting you.

Also in the kill room, you probably forgot to kill the kicking koopa's shell towards the top of the section. I suppose I should modify it so that you don't have to kill the shells too, huh. Sorry about that.

I guess my level has a lot of strategy involved.

Thanks again!
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

It's been a bit so I'm going to be that guy again and ask for a re-review of "Hot Hot Angry Stars" and "Toad Central". Both have had bugfixes and since this game looks to be nearing completion I'd like to know if they're ready or not before the deadline gets sorted out.