ASMBXT Level Review Thread

an SMBX collaboration hack!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: ASMBXT Level Review Thread

Post by SAJewers »

shaman666 wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Leek Secret Slide:
Aside from possibly making it an automatic level, it gets my vote.
there are 2 leeks on the level, making it automatic would make the second one impossible to get
Didn't notice the other leek. Point taken,
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I think Darkychao & I have ironed out all the engine breaking errors in our level. Darkychao's version in the post levels thread is the most current. If you got the .7z version, that doesn't work, so get the new version in his edited post. So if those peeps who tried to get the level working before would like to try it again that'd be great.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Pit of Obscurity:
Not sure about this bit of cutoff:ImageI think we're trying to avoid cutoff, so maybe replace that. Other than that, once you put the music in the right place and rename it to meet the naming conventions, you're good.
shaman

Post by shaman »

SAJewers wrote:Pit of Obscurity:
Not sure about this bit of cutoff:ImageI think we're trying to avoid cutoff, so maybe replace that. Other than that, once you put the music in the right place and rename it to meet the naming conventions, you're good.
that's not bad, have you played "shoe zone"? that's among the finished levels, somehow
is this videogames?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

shaman wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Pit of Obscurity:
that's not bad, have you played "shoe zone"? that's among the finished levels, somehow
I have. In fact, I brought up the cutoff, but was told that was a design choice. Some people have docked points in reviews for cutoff, hence the note here, as I wasn't sure.
shaman

Post by shaman »

credits by SAJewers
oooooh now I understand what you meant! didn't think such thing was possible, and that's quite amazing
of course it needs some refinement, there are some typos (like asstistance), and redundancy (I don't think we need to see the names a second time for the level Q/A, just say "level designers" + the name of the people who reviewed but didn't make a level
also there are screenshots from levels that are not in the game yet haha

but besides that, terrific work, looking forward to the final version

I also want a screenshot of any of my levels ;_;
is this videogames?
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

credits by SAJewers
As shaman already said, really good work. Maybe sort all names by alphabet so everyone is treated the same. Also the music is somewhat kitschy, maby change it??!

But apart from that, really like it!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

LukaRamu wrote:credits by SAJewers
As shaman already said, really good work. Maybe sort all names by alphabet so everyone is treated the same. Also the music is somewhat kitschy, maby change it??!

But apart from that, really like it!
Already thinking of changing it to the original version from the OST, instead of that remix. Will look into sorting it.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

credits by SAJewers
Haha, I notice you used an older version of my level (Timed Jumps on Moving Everything) for the character design bit. I'm not sure if it's an interesting quirk for the credits, or if it should be corrected.

Also - was Demo supposed to die? It was pretty funny, but I'm not sure if it was intentional.

I like the music, it suits it pretty well. It feels quite sentimental, but if anything - that's the sort of feeling you should try to get, considering how well the Mario 64 credits worked.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

docopoper wrote:credits by SAJewers
Haha, I notice you used an older version of my level (Timed Jumps on Moving Everything) for the character design bit. I'm not sure if it's an interesting quirk for the credits, or if it should be corrected.

Also - was Demo supposed to die? It was pretty funny, but I'm not sure if it was intentional.

I like the music, it suits it pretty well. It feels quite sentimental, but if anything - that's the sort of feeling you should try to get, considering how well the Mario 64 credits worked.
The old version of the level was unintentional, I'll go fix that for the next version.

Demo is not supposed to die, it's a bug, which I think I now fixed.

As for the music, I was going to use this version, but that's on a legit CD you can still buy. Hence, this remix, which is one of only 2 I can find.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Upwards unnamed level by Dangtater:
I liked the idea for a vertical level with the Boom Boom ship, you could use this for a pretty neat gimmick. The rest of the level feels a bit too spammy and also with no flow or consistency. Most of the time I had no idea where to go. Stick to one theme and go with it and I think you could make an interesting level. Have reasons for the player to switch between Demo and Link.

For future reference, please put title in proper format. It's in the guideline thread.
Frickin Meta by Darkychao & DoctorShemp:
haha this level is great. Really fun and simpler what with the tail provided and without it provides a good challenge. One oddity I found was with raocow's sprite. Is he supposed to be halfway into the lower tile "sitting" on it. In raccoon form, the ducking animation is just big animation. I'm saying all this but I don't even know entirely if you made the sprite so, yea.

The intro room kinda looks funky with wood block on top of the ground tiles, but it's minor "oh man this won't be accepted to SMWC" thing.

Later in the level is the boss. I cannot figure out at all what to do and I've tried everything I could think of. I think a text box explaining a hint to the solution would be very helpful. This level didn't say unfinished so I'm kind of confused. I even tried picking up the bullets, which doesn't seem possible.

Overall great level,
It's a Wonderful Demo by Matahari:
First thing I noticed was I immediately got the midpoint. When I died, I was sent to what looked like an unfinished room (well it did say unfinished on the page). I would like to point out that the SMB3 airship tiles don't fit very well with the wooden ledges from SMW. Also if that is the length you are going for the second half, it seems too short.

As for the level itself, it's starts out nice with great music but then suddenly lots of floating blocks. I did like the invisible block so I wasn't stuck in that pit. Then there is a random Boom Boom you don't have to fight. Then a Koopa Kid. Then.. Bowser? Besides having too many bosses in a row I think having a random Bowser, especially in such a short stage, us unnecessary. Work more on the level design first and then have a boss at the end.
If anyone else needs a review, I will do them now. If you insist I will even do a video on them like pholtos did.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

aterraformer wrote:Frickin Meta by Darkychao & DoctorShemp:
One oddity I found was with raocow's sprite. Is he supposed to be halfway into the lower tile "sitting" on it. In raccoon form, the ducking animation is just big animation. I'm saying all this but I don't even know entirely if you made the sprite so, yea.
Yes, he's supposed to be sitting of the edge of the level, and the raccoon sitting frame is not exactly the same, he has the chipmunk ears. Oh, and yes I did do all of raocow's sprites.
aterraformer wrote:
The intro room kinda looks funky with wood block on top of the ground tiles, but it's minor "oh man this won't be accepted to SMWC" thing.
It's actually supposed to be like that, I tried to make it look like some messed up floorboards that demo is stuck in, and it's supposed to look like you're switching to raocow and demo never leaves the floorboards... yah know it's better if i just drew a picture, here
small to big.png
small to big.png (160.17 KiB) Viewed 7404 times
aterraformer wrote:
Later in the level is the boss. I cannot figure out at all what to do and I've tried everything I could think of. I think a text box explaining a hint to the solution would be very helpful. This level didn't say unfinished so I'm kind of confused. I even tried picking up the bullets, which doesn't seem possible.
You're supposed to grab the bullets from the top a la birdo eggs, I'll see if i can make that more obvious.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

darkychao wrote:
aterraformer wrote:
You're supposed to grab the bullets from the top a la birdo eggs, I'll see if i can make that more obvious.
Yeah the idea is to pick up the bullets from the top and then throw them at the boss. They do look the same thrown as unthrown so I guess there could be some confusion. Maybe we should put the bullet launcher next to the boss so the bullets launch away from the boss.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I found it pretty obvious that you could pick up the bullets, considering you can ride on them like eggs and the whole level consists of SMB2 stuff that you can pick up.
I thought the boss fight was an okay challenge, but it looked and felt really bland.
By the way, I think the music change from the first to second screen is unnessecary.
And if it isn't already, the Demo-raocow transition should probably be different so that you're warped as soon as you hit the switch, otherwise you can see raocow at Demo's place, which kinda defeats the whole image.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Paralars wrote:the Demo-raocow transition should probably be different so that you're warped as soon as you hit the switch
Yeah that's been changed back in the newest version. It was only that way because I changed some of the layout and broke that accidentally for my version and couldn't get the warps precise enough to fix it. I guess Darkychao didn't have that problem.
Paralars wrote:I thought the boss fight was an okay challenge, but it looked and felt really bland.
Also in the newest version
the glass container around the boss has been removed so the fight is quite a bit shorter. So at least it's less blandness I guess?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Not because of the length, but the visuals are not really well though out and the projectile shooters feel really slapped on.
I don't know how to describe it, but there is not really a fitting total picture with that fight, there is no theme or character to it, it's missing everything that goes beyond functionality.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

aterraformer wrote:stuff about MEEEEE
To address your points (roughly) in order, the immediate midpoint is in fact the point of the level, I'm not sure what the 'floating blocks' you refer to are but I'm guessing they're the airships (remember those things??), the unnecessary Boom-Boom is intended as a joke because seriously what's with that guy, and the level is going to remain unfinished because I don't have the motivation. Toodlepip!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

dr_kraid wrote:
To address your points (roughly) in order, the immediate midpoint is in fact the point of the level, I'm not sure what the 'floating blocks' you refer to are but I'm guessing they're the airships (remember those things??), the unnecessary Boom-Boom is intended as a joke because seriously what's with that guy, and the level is going to remain unfinished because I don't have the motivation. Toodlepip!
Did I.. cause that?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

aterraformer wrote:
dr_kraid wrote:
Did I.. cause that?
Thankfully, not.
dr_kraid wrote:I'm like two-thirds of the way through a ~gimmick level~ but I don't think I'm ever going to complete it to my own satisfaction within the deadline, especially since I have IRL exams to be doin', so I'm just going to leave it here. I really wouldn't be that upset if nobody picked it up, though.
The joke is that, via the engines' handling of multiple midpoints, if you die once the level changes completely. This is a dangerous gimmick in that if you die in the 'Present' section you have to play through the 'Bad Future' section even if you already beat it, so it's a deliberately short level. Nothing kills the feel more than a level outstaying its welcome. I also have a weird hangup about having any enemies in the Bad Future, but having no enemies at all makes it... not really a level, honestly.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/optmnh44q535mf ... uldemo.zip
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

dr_kraid wrote:cool level Idea]
When it's put that way, that sounds really neat and he should definitely continue!
Last edited by aterraformer 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

man up and finish that awesome level
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Oh, those floating blocks! Yeah, I only put those in to measure the size of the airships.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

dr_kraid wrote:Due to 'popular' demand I have 'finished' my new level and it is now open to critique!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/mbkctybn65hdl0 ... uldemo.zip
There's a block off screen in section 2 that you can stand on, and it doesn't prevent boom-boom from going off screen like it's probably suppose to (he can jump).

Is the only way to get the midpoint exit to die?

Also some bullets have cutoff near the bottom.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
There's a block off screen in section 2 that you can stand on, and it doesn't prevent boom-boom from going off screen like it's probably suppose to (he can jump).
Yep, fixed.
Is the only way to get the midpoint exit to die?
Yeah, that's the level gimmick.
Also some bullets have cutoff near the bottom.
From my understanding that's a glitch in the whole system so there isn't much I can do about it myself.

By the way, as an aside, I found the misshapen anime tits in your avatar so off-putting I had to Adblock them in the end. So there's that.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

dr_kraid wrote:By the way, as an aside, I found the misshapen anime tits in your avatar so off-putting I had to Adblock them in the end. So there's that.
Her eyes used to be off-putting to me. Heck even Minely's previous furryish avatar put me off for a while.