(shouting)

ASMBXT Level Review Thread

an SMBX collaboration hack!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: ASMBXT Level Review Thread

Post by SAJewers »

It's a wonderful demo:
love this idea. however, I can see it where someone completes the level the first time without dying, then has trouble finding the second exit, as they don't expect the other section. I don't think it's too big of a problem that you should go back and add a pit somewhere, and it's probably fine as is.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

SAJewers wrote:Pit of Obscurity:
Not sure about this bit of cutoff:ImageI think we're trying to avoid cutoff, so maybe replace that. Other than that, once you put the music in the right place and rename it to meet the naming conventions, you're good.
Is it just the log at the left side, or are you talking about something else?
How are those log bottom parts even meant to be used?
If it's not too late, once I remember which other improvements I wanted to make, I'll upload a fixed version.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, that, and I honestly don't know.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

log.png
log.png (28.9 KiB) Viewed 6258 times
The actual 'top' part of that log bridge piece (in the red square).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Oh, that's what that is.
shaman

Post by shaman »

I always thought that was some kind of dirt mound or something...
is this videogames?
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Wow. That's practically an optical illusion.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

ascend
okay, first I want to say this level is an awesome level.
BUT... there are some things that I think need changing so here is a list
1. Incorrect format
a. Name should be in the authormame(s)-leveltitle format
b. All image and music files should be in a file with the same name as the .lvl file
i. To do the music file just put "levelname/" before it in the custom music query
2. The lava rises WAY too fast even if I give my self a cheaty midpoint halfway through the lava manages to catch up with me.
3. This level should probably have a midpoint somewhere.
4. Make it impossible to grab the springboards, try changing the grabside flag to 0, I find it enraging that I keep throwing them of the side into the lava.
5. Bullet jumps = no fun
6. Stop the lava when the player gets to the top of the tower.
and that's about it, good luck!
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

darkychao wrote:ascend
okay, first I want to say this level is an awesome level.
BUT... there are some things that I think need changing so here is a list
1. Incorrect format
a. Name should be in the authormame(s)-leveltitle format
b. All image and music files should be in a file with the same name as the .lvl file
i. To do the music file just put "levelname/" before it in the custom music query
2. The lava rises WAY too fast even if I give my self a cheaty midpoint halfway through the lava manages to catch up with me.
3. This level should probably have a midpoint somewhere.
4. Make it impossible to grab the springboards, try changing the grabside flag to 0, I find it enraging that I keep throwing them of the side into the lava.
5. Bullet jumps = no fun
6. Stop the lava when the player gets to the top of the tower.
and that's about it, good luck!
2. Well, the gimmick of the level is that the lava speeds up according to the music; when it gets to its fastest, you're supposed to already have a decent-sized lead on it. And the level is supposed to be late-game difficulty; everything needs to be done pretty much as fast as possible.
3. That's kind of impossible, given the gimmick. Besides, the level is just slightly over a minute and a half long; would a midpoint really be necessary?
4. How exactly would I do that? I'm kind of new to this engine.
5. ...do people really find jumping on bullets that hard? I guess I could change it if other people agree.
6. But it does stop at the top of the tower, or at least it did when I tested it. Maybe your extra midpoint is interfering with things somehow?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:4. How exactly would I do that? I'm kind of new to this engine.
Flozar has a video for that, of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VBbeWXlg08

There is actually a shortage of post/late game type levels, but try to keep the difficulty fair.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:
2, 3, 6
2. I had over half a level in lead and it still caught up to me, but on second go-through it seemes fine, i don't know what i did the first time to mess it up but it should still be a tad slower
3. Midpoint would probably be a good idea but now I'm not sure seeing how the level would work, but still try to keep it in mind
6. Yah, I don't know i must've loaded the level weird, or something because the lava came up a block more than it does now
Last edited by darkychao 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

ascend
Ok, wow, I love this level (and this type of level in general).
I usually try to complete a level that I think is realistic to beat, but my arm is too stiff from being so tense through the level. (I got pretty fast at pressing Esc - F5 - Enter)

At the lava's current speed, I would put this at either post game or world 8 (leaning towards post game since a level that is sort of in the same style as this, but easier is in world 8). I really enjoyed the level, I got to the part where you have to slide and jump to the springboard way off to the right on my furthest attempt before the lava got me.

The music and aesthetics work brilliantly, I didn't have too much of a problem with grabbing springboards, but here's how to fix it:

In the folder where you are putting the rest of the level's resources - put a file called npc-26.txt (npc-26 is the springboard, as you can find out by looking in the main graphics folder).

In the txt file write:
grabtop=0
grabside=0

And that's it, the springboards should no longer be grabbable.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.