(shouting)

ASMBXT Dev Kit *UPDATE*

an SMBX collaboration hack!
m4sterbr0s

ASMBXT Dev Kit *UPDATE*

Post by m4sterbr0s »

OK Guys, Let's get testing!
[/i]

Here's 0.90 of ASMBXT: Prelude To The Stupid. I've transitioned everything from a Dev Kit to a final looking game. This also Includes the HUB World, which will be used in the final game. This doesn't however, include the new exe with updated strings, cheats, and Splash Screen. So don't try and play Super Demo 128, as the cheat doesn't match the sign. Otherwise, this can be considered near-final.

If you want to play any of the Gimmick Levels, you can either find them yourself, hidden in the HUB World, or use the Level Editor and change the Player 1 Start Location. See the Wiki for what level is in what world.

Also, You'll need to re-download everything again. Apologies.
old stuff:
SAJewers wrote:Another Devkit update, just in case I'm not around this weekend due to a storm:

Updates to Life Lift, Revolution, It's a Wonderful Demo, Misery Down, Final Fight, and Technical Difficulties.
Demo/Toad Graphic Updates
Added in missing raocow Boomerang Graphic
SAJewers wrote:Update:
  • Added in the death and star collect jingles
  • Added in Fixed Animated Ice Flower
  • Added in Saw thing Update
  • Added in Updates to Levels "Only One Screen", "Climbing the Mountian", "Mysterious Jungle", "Fricken Meta", "Spikey Cavey", "Gotta Go Quick", "Knock On Wood", "Leaky Jungle", "The Firelands", "Synthetic Nightmare", and "Technical Difficulties"
  • Added player blocks to the episode folder (so they show in the level editor)
SAJewers wrote:OK, an Update to the Devkit:
  • Updated the Luigi and Kood Graphics with the latest updates
  • Added Updates to Mild Interruptions, Only 1 Screen, Fricken Meta, and Four of a Kind
  • I Fixed Star Issue in Reverse Zone, and fixed Music Looping issue with Reverse Zone and The Lounge
  • Demo/iris Blocks in each sublevel of the Hub, Updated Powerups area, main area loops around now
  • Fixed Majestic Tower using wrong end NPC
  • Added Death Counter Program
I'll post a new version of the devkit with all the updates in a bit.
SAJewers wrote:
Frozelar wrote:Yeah, if I recall Google Drive usually requires a sign-in.

Also that's one big file. Or at least it's large considering there's only level stuff in there. ASMBXT is gonna be a bigger game than I thought.

EDIT: Oh, huh. Yeah I tried it too and it seemed to work. Maybe it's browser-specific...?
It's not just level stuff. It's the entire development kit, engine, graphics, levels, and all. Level stuff is just 422 MB

8Flight: ATM, download the, download the full kit and extract it somewhere, then download the update and place it in the same folder (if you use c:\asmbxt for the dev kit, extract the update to c:\asmbxt)

also: try useing the links, see if it works:dev kit | update1

EDIT: Just a note, if anyone has any level fixes, submit them, and when I wake up tomorrow, I'll release another update to add those fixes.
SAJewers wrote:New Devkit:

-Updated levels
-Dry Bones Graphic
-Fixed Bullet Bill Graphic

Update

Full Kit

older stuff:
The following below is an explanation of the dev kit by Zaidyer.
Zaidyer wrote:
Some notes:
  • Most of the AXMT graphics are already set up. To see them while building a level, make sure to save your level to the "worlds\AXMT Dev Episode" folder. The rest are STTB1+2's defaults.
  • The default soundtrack and sound effects are still mostly the STTB1+2 versions. They're of better quality than the SMBX defaults, but you'll likely end up changing them anyway since you really don't have to use Mario sounds for this.
  • I've changed the "please buy a wii" screen and a couple bits on the main menu to be more appropriate to ASMT and the Talkhaus. If these changes need to be reverted or altered for any reason, there's a "clean" ASMBXT.exe courtesy of Kaskabald which you can make copies of in order to romhack the hardcoded graphics. (The tool to do this was also included, courtesy of the NSMBX Forums.) I don't have the time to put forward for a more extensive hack, so I'll leave it to you guys.
  • I've left the source gifs I used for the new hardcoded graphics in a special folder outside the main game. There's also some PNGs to use as references, but note that you can only hack in actual gifs!
Here is the updated download link and brief description (thanks to raekuul):
raekuul wrote:Thank you, kind sir.

THE DEV KIT has been repackaged to include the World File, and it's been uploaded to my Dropbox account! No more mucking around with Mediafire, too!

Although I think I just volunteered to 'host' the dev kit. Ah well, that's fine with me.

Zaidyer, do you have a dropbox?
raekuul is hosting the dev kit. Please reply if you have any other comments/suggestions that you'd like to point out from the dev kit. Thanks.
Last edited by m4sterbr0s 11 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
XutaWoo

Re: ASMBXT Dev Kit

Post by XutaWoo »

Well,that's certainly a fantastic thing to first see when you start the program up.

Edit: Quick thing I noticed, the red and green koopas from SMBX are yellow and blue instead, I've noticed. Is this intentional?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

we should use scrawled letters like the talkhaus logo.

that or block capital.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

You forgot to include the world.wld file...

Everyone, open up notepad and paste this:

Code: Select all

"A Super Mario Bros. X Thing"
#FALSE#
#FALSE#
#TRUE#
#TRUE#
#TRUE#
"demodemo.lvl"
#TRUE#
#FALSE#
"talkhaus.raocow.com"
"Talkhaus"
""
""
""
"next"
"next"
"next"
"next"
"next"
Save it on the AXMT Dev Episode folder as world.wld
m4sterbr0s

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Edited first post with a download link to the world.wld file (I couldn't upload it as an attachment here because PHPBB doesn't accept "wld" extensions).
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

A few more side notes:

The new loading screen isn't very verbose on purpose, I wasn't sure what (if anything) it should have said other than that. The SMBX original was groan-worthy in a very bad way.
You can make it look nicer. I think it can have up to 256 colors like any gif, it's just that the new image can't use more bytes than the original one. The "Hey there everyone" screen actually uses less, but the Extractor gives you the option to zero out the unused bytes when you reinsert! (Not sure what it does if you were to go original->smaller->bigger though, which is why it's important to keep that unmodified exe as a backup.)

I threw that menu logo together real fast as a proof of concept. It's stretched to fill out the allotted space, in order to be more readable with that font. I thought if it turned out that nobody else would do it, at least it would have been there.
I like raocow's "talkhaus scrawl" suggestion.

Didn't think the world file was too important yet since we usually just test levels from the Editor at Talking Time, until we're ready for beta and Release Candidate testing. Guess I should have included it!
The reason we build the overworld last is because unless you use a Hub level like STTB 1, paths and level dots will re-hide themselves every time you move or edit them. Then the only way to fix it is to delete your save or use a cheat code. So watch out for that!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

As we speak, I'm repackaging the dev kit so that it contains the world file. It should only take me ten minutes to do, and it'll be sitting in the public folder of my Dropbox. I'll more than likely edit the link into this post, unless somebody is kind enough to post before I finish so that I won't be doubleposting.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

okay
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Thank you, kind sir.

THE DEV KIT has been repackaged to include the World File, and it's been uploaded to my Dropbox account! No more mucking around with Mediafire, too!

Although I think I just volunteered to 'host' the dev kit. Ah well, that's fine with me.

m4sterbr0s

Re: ASMBXT Dev Kit *UPDATE*

Post by m4sterbr0s »

Updated first post with the new download link and description.
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

raekuul wrote:Thank you, kind sir.

You can go ahead and host it if you want, I just wanted to get it off the ground!
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

I just downloaded the updated dev kit from raekuul and I got this message:

I click keep and it warns me again about keeping it, that it could be harmful.
I don't know why it's giving me a message like this but I thought I should let you guys know??
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Google Chrome does that with anything that's not downloaded much. It's basically a precaution against things that try to trick you into downloading a fake-well known program by making sure you aren't one of the two people to download it.
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

XutaWoo wrote:Google Chrome does that with anything that's not downloaded much. It's basically a precaution against things that try to trick you into downloading a fake-well known program by making sure you aren't one of the two people to download it.
I feel kinda stupid for not knowing this, but thanks for letting me know! ;-;
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

uhm, the file name as it's saved in my dropbox does not have "update" in it.

Oh, you renamed it when you saved it. [/panic]
freelop

Post by freelop »

I think I broke it. As I'm using the editor this icon seems to open over and over until smbx freezes and I can't do anymore. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

I already told him but for anyone else having this problem (I know I did): add ASMBXT.exe into your FFDShow exception list.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

This thing is having problems.

(That is to say, whenever I click the Custom music button about 28247 FFA thingies pop up in the corner. And no, I'm not actually planning to use Lil Wayne music if that's what you're wondering; I don't even think that's what I'm supposed to do, it having been a COMPLETE GUESS)
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

Kashkabald wrote:I already told him but for anyone else having this problem (I know I did): add ASMBXT.exe into your FFDShow exception list.
Seriously, the fix is right above your post.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Well, I would've seen that had it been the whole picture on the screen. Since it wasn't I assumed it was something unrelated. So...
Goomba98

Post by Goomba98 »

The ninji graphic should replace the SMB2 ninji.
No signature ideas right now.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Well the reason I was asking if Zaidyer has a dropbox is that if he shares a build folder with me, I can keep the this updated with a weekly download package.
shaman

Post by shaman »

We're going to need a new repack soon, but it's been more than a month since Zaidyer last visited...
is this videogames?
Kashkabald

Post by Kashkabald »

I'll go poke him on TT, I have something for him as well
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

You guys might want to go ahead and update without me, I've kind of got my hands full lately.