(shouting)

ASMBXT Discussion Thread

an SMBX collaboration hack!
malipo

Re: ASMBXT Discussion Thread

Post by malipo »

Aposke wrote:Maybe there's some sort of easy fix for this that I just haven't found, and maybe there's another person here who managed to get it to run under Wine.
I don't know if you still care about this, but I managed to run ASMBXT on Linux, with a few hacks:

Code: Select all

winetricks vb6run
winetricks devenum
winetricks quartz
winetricks gdiplus
and I replaced oleaut32.dll with one from one of those shady DLL sites and set it as native (not mandatory, but load times are atrocious without it)

The game is playable but it crashes every 20 minutes or so, I've learned to live with that though.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

As people no doubt have noticed, Iris is visibly quit a bit shorter than her actual hit box, this has prompted me to redo her sprite to be quite bit taller. What do you guys think?
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
lukaramu
not lukaramu
First name: not lukaramu

Post by lukaramu »

darkychao wrote:As people no doubt have noticed, Iris is visibly quit a bit shorter than her actual hit box, this has prompted me to redo her sprite to be quite bit taller. What do you guys think?
Looks really great imo!
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

darkychao wrote:As people no doubt have noticed, Iris is visibly quit a bit shorter than her actual hit box, this has prompted me to redo her sprite to be quite bit taller. What do you guys think?
Yeah I agree, it looks pretty nice.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

The new sprite is pretty good, and the deceptive hitbox got me hit a few times, so I support this change.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: A2MBXT Discussion Thread

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I've seen some mentions of A2MBXT aound here, mostly in the form of new level and it seemed to be all over the place.

I would like to humbly suggest no possible way to die after the leek is collected.
Except maybe the very last level where the floor disappears at the last second for no reason after the leek.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'd also suggest that we use the existing fork of the SMBX engine. I already have three forks of SMBX installed on my computer (SMBX, STTB & ASMBXT) and I doubt I'm alone in this. It seems unnecessary to build a new fork for every single game as many SMBX releases seem to do these days (e.g. the in-progress STTB3 which won't use the existing STTB fork). I can't think of anything we could add to the current fork anyway.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well yeah, it would be silly to reinvent the wheel.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Also if we're deciding on limits of stuff (levels per person, total levels etc.) it should be done sooner rather than later to avoid the stress that came about last time when it went from seemingly no limit to OMG-ALMOST-END-HURRY town.
fart.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Duker wrote:Also if we're deciding on limits of stuff (levels per person, total levels etc.) it should be done sooner rather than later to avoid the stress that came about last time when it went from seemingly no limit to OMG-ALMOST-END-HURRY town.
Yes, before we accept any levels, that bureaucratic stuff needs to be taken care of:

-How many levels are doing?
-How many levels per person?
-Is there a plot?
-All Characters or just Demo/Iris?
-Who gets to do the bosses?
-Probably some other stuff I forgot.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

The plot of a2mbxt is that it's Demo's birthday, and all her family decided to throw her a birthday party! Unfortunately, because they were originaly designed as video game antagonists, they where compelled to do this via making levels Demo has to run through. There are eight bosses for eight worlds: even Iris is a boss of a world because [reasons].
At the end of the postgame, Demo gets her gift: being the postgame endboss. She'll be so happy :3
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Wait, is A2SMBQRSTUV already being considered? Seriously? Wouldn't it be wise to give everyone a break first? Look at the mess that A2MT was and still is - I fear that the same thing would happen here, especially if the leaders are burnt out from the first project.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote:Wait, is A2SMBQRSTUV already being considered? Seriously? Wouldn't it be wise to give everyone a break first? Look at the mess that A2MT was and still is - I fear that the same thing would happen here, especially if the leaders are burnt out from the first project.
It was pretty much concluded during ASMBXT development that a sequel would be made, but yeah, Maybe lay a groundwork for it, but don't actually get too serious about it until after the ASMBXT LP is over.
raocow

Post by raocow »

To add to SAJewers, nobody is serious about starting the sequel yet or anything. It's just that because of how easy it is to add levels and whatnot, people can theoretical make levels if they want to.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm going to make my own level set but steal all your assets :twisted:
shaman

Post by shaman »

I've been away for a while (just watching the videos, really) but I will be present for when the A2MBXT development begins.
But that won't happen for at least some time, I'd guess
is this videogames?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

raocow wrote:
At the end of the postgame, Demo gets her gift: being the postgame endboss. She'll be so happy :3
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'd be happy to assist with the early stage testing like with asmbxt.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I may not have helped out with ASMBXT, but I definitely would like to help out with A2MBXT once development becomes active, whether for bug testing or level design.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

S.N.N. wrote:Wait, is A2SMBQRSTUV already being considered? Seriously? Wouldn't it be wise to give everyone a break first? Look at the mess that A2MT was and still is - I fear that the same thing would happen here, especially if the leaders are burnt out from the first project.
dr_kraid wrote:I'm going to make my own level set but steal all your assets :twisted:
I actually do like the idea of smaller level sets being made independently of this series's production. I really don't see why people can't release their own games. I would galdly play something with less than 100 levels on SMWX every so often. It would allow more specailization even.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

8flight wrote:
Validon98 wrote:I may not have helped out with ASMBXT, but I definitely would like to help out with A2MBXT once development becomes active, whether for bug testing or level design.
We've decided not to start production till raocows p of asmbxt is over.
Seems like AZCT is getting off the ground quickly, that will probably become a thing before A2MBXT right

EDIT: Also I agree with SNN, I feel like a somewhat maybe slightly lengthy break would be a good idea before A2MBXT anyways
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, maybe we could just throw a bunch of these "in between development" levels in to an episode, sorta of like STTB's Expansion.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'd support a "Make a Good Level in SMBX" contest.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

A Make a good level contest with a similar box idea would be wonderful.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

"Make a Good Level X" would be a good name for a SMBX contest
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch