(shouting)

ASMBXT Discussion Thread

an SMBX collaboration hack!
cheez8
Food Nut

Re: ASMBXT Discussion Thread

Post by cheez8 »

AUS wrote:I say keep the post game how it is. Locked away for those who beat the game 100%.

I mean, it's ridiculously hard right? They should be able to 100% the game if they're going to be able to even beat the post game.
Yes, it's super-hard, but so what? I say if they have 130 out of 133 stars, players have absolutely proven they either are good enough or persistent enough to tackle the postgame. I wouldn't want the requirement to be lower than 130, but just because there may be one or two levels that a player has trouble beating doesn't mean they should be locked out of an entire world for it.

Again, take me as an example. Because of the graphics used for walls in Frozen Phony Key Factory, I can't stand to play that level for more than 30 minutes at a time, and even then it's distracting and headache-inducing enough that I find it hard to focus on the stage by the time I'm halfway through the second room (out of at least six rooms, and they get LONG.) I have not managed to reach either exit yet, simply because I don't enjoy dealing with throbbing headaches. Should I have my access to the special world denied for a reason like that? I don't think so.

It's just a tiny bit of leeway for if players have a level that won't load, or didn't manage to find a zebraspace door, or find a level's graphics physically painful, or have unusual amounts of trouble on any level for some reason that they may or may not be able to control. If they have 130 stars, they're just as prepared for the postgame as they would be with 133.
I don't really get it but okay
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

I totally agree with cheez on that. 130 out of 133 available stars would be appropriate. I myself have major trouble beating pholtos' tunnel stage!
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Why would 130 out of 133 be appropriate? Literally only because it's a round number? Or are there three stars that are superfluous/buggy? At least come up with a number that has a reason. :P
Octagon wrote:
AUS wrote:I say keep the post game how it is. Locked away for those who beat the game 100%.

I mean, it's ridiculously hard right? They should be able to 100% the game if they're going to be able to even beat the post game.
This unfortunately means that among those who aren't willing to change their global system settings and potentially cause other bugs in more important applications, reallyjoel's dad is the only one able to access the postgame - and I hope it isn't that hard.
Wha? So you think that literally noone will be able to 100% the game..?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

AUS wrote:Why would 130 out of 133 be appropriate? Literally only because it's a round number?
Yeah, pretty much.

That said, I'm not sure how much farther away from 133 we should really have it since getting all 133 was the original intent. Maybe 131 would work, as there are two "unmarked" stars in the game: one that exists in a World 7 level, and another for the gimmick world's gimmick world level (which I didn't think would be very easy to miss, but I guess it's possible since there's nothing in the game explicitly stating it exists.)
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

There's a secret exit in the monastery stage? Where?!? :shock:

The hunt begins!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

AUS wrote: Wha? So you think that literally noone will be able to 100% the game..?
Technically, 100%ing the game would mean getting the leak in Murder Death place Zone (by raocow), and pretty much everyone who tested it said it was neigh impossible. I honestly doubt most can. If you don't include that, then I think most people can 100% the game.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Thanks a lot I found it. :) Now I only need to find that secret leek in the Frozen Phony Key Factory as well as the third leek in Test Chamber M!
I searched about an hour for both of these and couldn't find either of them. Anyone any tips? :)

@SAJewers: Well, I guess raocow is able to beat his level with little to no effort since it is his own level after all.

The hunt begins!
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Slit08 wrote:@SAJewers: Well, I guess raocow is able to beat his level with little to no effort since it is his own level after all.
Most likely not actually, he struggled quite a bit with his own level in ASMT.
fart.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

True.

BTW here's a video showcasing the fast movement of the skulls in "Much To Do Around Lava":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537HDnKRLPo
I wonder why it doesn't work in this level whereas it moves at normal stage in any other level with a skull raft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkhzZ6qYyg
This video of my LP shows a weird crash bug. Whenever I try to play Revolution with the notes in the bg the game crashes for me at the exact location shown in the video. However, once I toggle the notes it doesn't crash anymore.

The hunt begins!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I 100%d the game, but it took like 1100-1400 deaths. Want to know something funny about murder zone though? I don't think raocow will have any trouble with it at all, because once you've completely memorized it and know the best strategies for each screen (which he must since he made it), it's actually kinda easy. I'd say you have a 10% chance to beat it once you know EXACTLY what to do. That's only 10 tries!

Frozen Key factory is fundamentally one of the hardest levels because of its length and nearly invisible falling spikes everywhere. You have to go very slowly and practice the best strategy for every screen. The impossible secret exit doesn't help much. If I played the game right now I might have more trouble with that level than murder zone.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

kil3 wrote:I 100%d the game, but it took like 1100-1400 deaths. Want to know something funny about murder zone though? I don't think raocow will have any trouble with it at all, because once you've completely memorized it and know the best strategies for each screen (which he must since he made it), it's actually kinda easy. I'd say you have a 10% chance to beat it once you know EXACTLY what to do. That's only 10 tries!

Frozen Key factory is fundamentally one of the hardest levels because of its length and nearly invisible falling spikes everywhere. You have to go very slowly and practice the best strategy for every screen. The impossible secret exit doesn't help much. If I played the game right now I might have more trouble with that level than murder zone.
Just wondering, but what's so hard about theat secret exit? I can try to fix that up if you guys want.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I just have no idea how anyone's supposed to find it. Even if you manage to find that room, the key doesn't spawn unless you stand there for awhile. It seems to just be a raocoin room. You're far more likely to go searching everywhere else in the huge level first. But the author is aware of it and wants it that way, so changing it would be rather communist.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Slit08 wrote:True.

BTW here's a video showcasing the fast movement of the skulls in "Much To Do Around Lava":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537HDnKRLPo
I wonder why it doesn't work in this level whereas it moves at normal stage in any other level with a skull raft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YkhzZ6qYyg
This video of my LP shows a weird crash bug. Whenever I try to play Revolution with the notes in the bg the game crashes for me at the exact location shown in the video. However, once I toggle the notes it doesn't crash anymore.
Did you try changing from "," to "." to denote decimals for Windows? If you don't want to change your Windows settings or if you think it'll break other programs, another solution would be to edit the game to remove all decimal values.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

SAJewers wrote:
AUS wrote: Wha? So you think that literally noone will be able to 100% the game..?
Technically, 100%ing the game would mean getting the leak in Murder Death place Zone (by raocow), and pretty much everyone who tested it said it was neigh impossible. I honestly doubt most can. If you don't include that, then I think most people can 100% the game.
Oh. I forgot raocow made a level in this. e: three levels
Nevermind then. You guys are right.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

AUS wrote:
SAJewers wrote:
Oh. I forgot raocow made a level in this. e: three levels
Nevermind then. You guys are right.
Demoware actually isn't really hard at all I found. I didn't play the Library level, but apparently it's not as bad as the postgame levels.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

SAJewers wrote:Demoware actually isn't really hard at all I found. I didn't play the Library level, but apparently it's not as bad as the postgame levels.
I've actually taken to farming lives at the end of Demoware instead of any of the earlier levels where it's possible. Make of that what you will.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

AUS wrote:Wha? So you think that literally noone will be able to 100% the game..?
Like Slit said: As long as the glitch exists, Much To Do Around Lava is impossible, so you're stuck if you're not willing to cheat. Same for that Charlie level, allegedly.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

Well I could beat Much To Do Around Lava by doing what SAJewers told me to do (deleting the NPC90 file in the MTDAL folder) and I also finished the Charlie level by simply deleting its sprite (sorry for that SAJewers, but this was the only way for me to beat that level).

Now, will someone actually tell me where this damn secret exit in the Key Factory can be found. :D

The hunt begins!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

In the room where you go down and there's tons of stuff coming out of pipes, pile up a bunch of stuff to stand on and enter one of the pipes, don't remember which. Stay in that room for awhile and eventually a key springboard will appear. Use that... somewhere or other.
adamwcz

Post by adamwcz »

Slit08 wrote:Thanks a lot I found it. :) Now I only need to find that secret leek in the Frozen Phony Key Factory as well as the third leek in Test Chamber M!
I searched about an hour for both of these and couldn't find either of them. Anyone any tips? :)
Test Chamber M secret exits tips:
1. When the level starts malfunctioning, a new pipe appears somewhere.
2. Find a way to go through the pipe to the lava room while a P-Switch is activated.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Slit08 wrote:I also finished the Charlie level by simply deleting its sprite (sorry for that SAJewers, but this was the only way for me to beat that level).
I didn't delete the sprite, because the whole speed thing is working for me. But when I played the level, I got the Charlie to despawn, saving me a lot of headache. :D
The only problem I find with that level is that elevator ride at the beginning. You basically have to sit there for a while before you can actually try to redo the level whenever you die. It sort of breaks the flow, if you know what I mean by that. Oh, and if you fall off of it, you have to wait for it to come back, much like I had to when I first started the level and fell off trying to grab the second beet. Not fun at all.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

I think it adds buildup and it's like "whoa i'm now entering a huge castle" and the level isn't hard enough to where you have to do it many many times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If it weren't for needing a midpoint at the Charlie/Ludwig boss, I would put one there at the top. Maybe in the net update I'll throw in a pipe at the bottom to quickly skip it.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I have to wonder, it it at all possible to make a layer attached to the player character, the same way other levels have layers attached to rotodiscs and firebar segments? If so, it would probably help to create a wall of invisible blocks at the left edge of the screen in Charlie's Revenge.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

cheez8 wrote:I have to wonder, it it at all possible to make a layer attached to the player character, the same way other levels have layers attached to rotodiscs and firebar segments? If so, it would probably help to create a wall of invisible blocks at the left edge of the screen in Charlie's Revenge.
AFAIK No.