mario fan games galaxysmw centralpge project

The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

they were fun, but now they're done
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

Postby Bwarch » 7 years ago

The thwompable floors were very reminiscent of the idea of level design of introducing something hazardous in a non-lethal way at first, and then making it lethal later on.

Granted, the effect is somewhat lost here I think in a way. Can't exactly explain why.

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ditocoaf » 7 years ago

Well, the twompable floors aren't really used to their potential in this level. The cracked blocks that are under a thwomp might as well be air, since the twomp passes right through them, and they'll almost always be broken by the time the player reaches them.

The only time those blocks might matter is if you have reason to touch them before the thwomp breaks them -- say, in a "run past several thwomps in a row" situation.

Not to disparage the level, though! That's really the only fault I could name about it.

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 7 years ago

Since I've had like three people ask, I might as well just say it here: no, I didn't do today's level. I probably won't be able to do any more either (except Cup's level; I did that one before any of them) due to time restrictions as of late.

Sorry!!
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Awwwwwww.
Bad luck, man!

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Postby Frozelar » 7 years ago

Man so like I have done things the past couple days. That don't have to do with being here.

And also today's level was really awesome, I... I really liked it. As was previously stated I'm not any good at giving any type of criticism beyond 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it'. Though I really like the silly/hilarious touches that were added here and there. And I kinda thought the level could have done a bit more with itself, but that's just me.

Also man I know I've heard that music before. I KNOW it!!

Hooray!

EDIT: Oh wait! That music's from the castle in Sew Nuper Bario Mros. Wii!!!!!!!!

EDIT TOOWOOWOW: Oh wait, nonono, NSMB for the DS, right? RIGHT?!

Bean

Postby Bean » 7 years ago

You got it the second time. It's from the first New Super Mario Bros. game on the DS.

DragonLX

Postby DragonLX » 7 years ago

I don't know, it was complicated to play with the breakable block gimmick because Thwomps react when Mario is anywhere Y near them and they move super fast so I couldn't use a 'hey thwompy thwomp please clear this block for me in order to solve this puzzle' sort of deal, but rather make people pay attention if a block is breakable or not. I had some ideas but I didn't want to do anything awfully complicated and stick with a world 1ish difficulty. Those are some silly excuses though, haha.

But still, of course the level has flaws, but I really enyojed myself while making the thingy, and the fact a dude or two enjoyed it makes me even happier.

Really looking forward to the next entries, though. I liked the past levels so things can only get better. I mean, they scored better, so, yeah.

Schwer-Muta

Postby Schwer-Muta » 7 years ago

The level is very nice looking and the song sounds nice but tbh I thought the actual level part of the level was just kinda there. There's some Thomps scattered around some uninteresting geography and some breakable blocks that never do anything important. It feels like a buildup to a next part where these things become dangerous but that never happens.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 7 years ago

When I played Tomphanto's level I thought the level itself was okay, but the real highlight for me was the boss. I really enjoyed it, it was fast-paced and just... fun. It can be considered a real boss instead of a guy you wait around for to give you ammunition to kill him.

Also I still don't get why the ASMT graphics, haha.

alex2
Banned

Just keep plugging them switch palaces!
Jesuiscontent wrote:Also I still don't get why the ASMT graphics, haha.
Same reason he used the YI graphics: to pad his entry.
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
My mosts things:

Vector

Postby Vector » 7 years ago

Wait, how are graphics considered "padding"? I thought padding was sticking stuff in your level to make it longer...

TomPhanto

Postby TomPhanto » 7 years ago

Jesuiscontent wrote:Also I still don't get why the ASMT graphics, haha.
I just felt like it.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.

alex2
Banned

Vector wrote:Wait, how are graphics considered "padding"? I thought padding was sticking stuff in your level to make it longer...
It's ambiguous. I actually meant it just pads his score.
My mosts things:

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 7 years ago

I'd give him points for that. Loved the Yoshi's Island stuff, loved the fair difficulty, loved that the boss was challenging.

I'd only take a tenth of a point off for the Demo sprite itself. Her full speed running animation looked weird, for a strange white dot appeared behind her.

I really looking forward to what is next now!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

Saturn Moriya

Postby Saturn Moriya » 7 years ago

I still think it's too bad that this contest is focussing more on "interesting stuff", rather than good level design.
Level Design:

Fun: 20
Difficulty: 5
Focus: 5

Atmosphere:

Visuals: 5
Music: 5

Functionality:

Functionality: 10
Atmosphere is only 10 points you guys, what's going on? I think atmosphere is also a big part of the fun here.

I guess "a good level" here means "an interesting looking level", rather then "a well designed level". Oh well, let's just rant forever.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

I dunno, wouldn't 'fun' have a lot to do explicitely with level design?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 7 years ago

Pretty much everything fell into fun, and everything else you could only lose points for if something was bad. This level had some focus problems, I felt, as none of the areas really seemed "connected"

Ometeotl

Postby Ometeotl » 7 years ago

I would be very surprised if I outlived this three-way tie. I really liked this level when I played it myself, so no complaints.

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

No, no. This contest was mostly focused on level design. Good level design makes a level fun. There are instances where a level being interesting did factor into the fun score (because obviously, that can make a level fun), but the levels that ultimately prevailed stuck to good level design.
Level Design
I wasn’t very fond of the first too rooms. They were kind of boring in terms of level design. Each enemy was kind of on its own as separate obstacles which I don’t like. I like the lava rail platform room a lot better, though.

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

That was an amazing level, Tom. Congratz.

Alice
?
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 7 years ago

What was the overworld track in TomPhanto's level today? I know it's from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, I think the Doom Castle track, but I can't remember for sure.

morsel/morceau

Postby morsel/morceau » 7 years ago

This one, I think.

raocow thought it was this one, I think.
dont wanna jihad no more

Bean

Postby Bean » 7 years ago

raocow, you reminded me of when Oyster kicked me out of a stream in a cursing tirade because I also thought that level music was from Magna Centipede's stage. The music was actually from the intro and final stages of the game, but guess where the final stage takes place in? You guessed it. Magna Centipede's level. Craziness.

Anyway, the judging seems on par here with what I'm seeing. This level was fairly interesting with the maces doing their own thing as well as the platforms going in and out of lava without being too ridiculous. This contest really got good fast compared to say the many beginner hacks you'd see in the SMWC contests. What I'm saying is that you all know what you're doing here for the most part. Good stuff.

Alice
?
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 7 years ago

morsel/morceau wrote:This one, I think.

raocow thought it was this one, I think.
Yeah, that's definitely it, thanks. And isn't the one from ASMT actually based on that first one anyways? That's what I'd always thought at least.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 7 years ago

agie777 wrote:I still think it's too bad that this contest is focussing more on "interesting stuff", rather than good level design.

I guess "a good level" here means "an interesting looking level", rather then "a well designed level". Oh well, let's just rant forever.
Instead of making passive-aggressive comments over levels not being ranked the way YOU envisioned them to be, how about you cite some examples to your grievances of the results?

Return to “old contests”