smw centralpge projectirc.cat.bio

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

VGM Contest X RESULTS

they were fun, but now they're done
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

VGM Contest X RESULTS

Postby Sturg » 2 months ago

Alrighty! We had 19 total entrants this round, which was kind of what I expected honestly.

And now, here are the results and stuff!!

THE GAMES

(PC) VVVVVV - Pressure Cooker (Found by 17)
Full Song

Gotta start off the contest with a gimme, also the song that got recognized most funnily enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(SNES) U.N Squadron - Stage 1 (Found by 3)
Full Song

A pretty neat Capcom schump with military aircraft. <REALISM>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(N64) Glover - Atlantis Realm: Level 1 (Found by 2)
Full Song

Tiny bit sad only 2 peeps knew Glover. It's really clunky control wise, but it holds a special place in my glove shaped heart.

(PC) Crypt of the Necrodancer - Mausoleum Mash (1-3) (Found by 6)
Full Song

Rhythm based game with a freaking kickin' soundtrack. Like if you haven't played or even listened to the OST, please do so rather soon.

(GC, PS2) Pac Man World 2 - Into the Volcano (Found by Jesuiscontent, half found by 1)
Full Song

One of the more obscure ones of the contest. I was debating on picking a more well-known song from the game, but that one was used in a previous SMWCentral contest.

(PS3, 360) Sonic '06 - Soleanna Castle Town (Found by 7, half found by 1)
Full Song

OH DudE It's That RADICAL Hedgheog

(PS1) Spyro: Year of the Dragon - Charmed Ridge (Found by 5, half found by 1)
Full Song

Awesome platformer. Awesome soundtrack by Stewart Copeland. Glad a couple folks knew this.

(PS2) UNLIMITED: Saga - Battle Theme 1 (Found by 3)
Full Song

So this was a song I kinda picked at the last minute because I was running out of good song ideas, thus this was the one I knew the least about. Sucks that a bunch of people wanted hints on this though, including the first person who wanted hints. Seeing how this was the first game to get a hint, it wasn't the greatest of hints.

(N64) Conker's Bad Fur Day - Count Batula (Found by Nabe)
Full Song

How the fuck does only one person know about Conker's Bad Fur Day or even guess close to it?

(PS1) Jet Moto 2 - Mach Schnell (Also found by Nabe)
Full Song

Wowie, surprised to see this actually get found. It's one of the more difficult (and obscure) racing games out there; pretty fun though! Developed by 989 Studios, the same folks who helped develop Twisted Metal.

(Genesis) Shinobi 3 - Whirlwind (Found by 2)
Full Song

Sick, Gnarly Surfing Ninjas on the Genesis uhhh yeah song's pretty lit too

(PS1) Resident Evil 2 - The First Floor (Found by 2, half found by 3)
Full Song

No this is not silent hill

(NES) Shatterhand - Area B (Found by me apparently)
Full Song

I thought some folks here were literate in the NES knowledge!! oops

(PC, XBox, PS2) Psychonauts - Agent Cruller's Sacred Hall (Found by 2)
Full Song

Honeslty I'd blame Horikawa for this one, still PLAY THIS GAME

(CD-i) Hotel Mario - Reading the Letter (Found by 8)
Full Song

at least people love memes enough to know this one

(PC) Ragnarok Online - Tread on the Ground (Found by 3)
Full Song

I picked this one because I fell in love with it when watching videos of that weird Mario fangame with billions of playable characters for some reason. Love that guitar regardless.

(PS2) Tekken 5 - Moonlit Wilderness (Found by 2)
Full Song

hey it's the fighting game that's not street fighter or soul caliber

(Dreamcast, GC) Skies of Arcadia - Blue Pirates' Ship
(Found by 4)
Full Song

The 2nd song I chose after running out of ideas. It looks okay I guess?????

(SNES) Pilotwings - Light Plane (Found by 13)
Full Song

I'm a little airplane now

(PC) AVGN II: Assimilation - Security Breach (Found by 2, half found by 2)
Full Song

The games are slightly meh, but some of the songs for the AVGN games are actually some of my favorite, one of them appearing on this list. On the flipside, there are also some TERRIBLE songs which strangely contrast from the rest of the game.

(PS1) Gran Turismo 2 - Moon Over the Castle (Found by 2, half found by 1)
Full Song

Wasn't sure how many people would get this one. The games are somewhat known, but the intro theme for them, not so much.

(DS) Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! - Title Theme (Dr. Kawakakis or whatnot) (Found by 14)
Full Song

Who the heck is Dr. Kiwikakarot?

(PS2) Tales of the Abyss - Mt. Roneal (Found by RedMageMike, half found by 1)
Full Song

Tehnically the only winter related song in the contest.

(GBA) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rookie and Popple (Found by 14, half found by 1)
Full Song

The M&L games are some weird anomalies in the Mario Universe canon.

(Wii) No More Heroes - Pleather for Breakfast (Found by 4)
Full Song

YEEAHHHHHHHHYEEEEEEEEEEYYYYEAAAAAYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYEHYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-
Pretty interesting game for the wii.
YEAAAAAYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

(PS, 360, Wii) Bully - Walking Theme (Found by 5)
Full Song

Fun concept of a game where you play as a Bully at a private school. The ending chimes in the contest clip pretty much give away the song tbh.

(Genesis) Dynamite Headdy - South Town's Theme (Found by 4)
Full Song

This has always looked like a really fun game to play just by looking at the cartoony colors and weird polish it has. The song is also pretty wacky, what with random instruments blurting out their favorite 4 or 5 notes every 15 seconds.

(PS1) Intelligent Qube - Stage 2 (Found by Nabe)
Full Song

You can outright blame raocow for this one. Back months ago after I found out I was hosting this contest, I pointed it out and raocow joked about having an Intelligent Qube song in it. I looked it up and man I fell in love with the four songs this game had to offer.

(PS1) Wild Arms - World Map (Found by 7)
Full Song

yeehaw ride 'em up cowboy also yes jesuis this is wild arms

(PS1) Pong: The Next Level - Pong World (Found by Nabe)
Full Song

Again, I'm shocked to see someone (the same person, but regardless) discover a rather obscure title I plugged into the contest.

Oh yeah the game uh it's pong but at the next level *ADVANCED DESCRIPTION*

(PS1) Crash Bandicoot 3 - Dingodile Theme or Crash Bash - Dot Dash (Found by 4, half found by 4)
Full Song

Yes, I had to have at least ONE Crash song appear on my list. Like it's never appeared before so why not? Also fun fact, I'm not really a huge fan of the original Crash trilogy soundtrack SHOCK and SURPRISE

(Wii, Wii U) Mario Sports Mix - Peach's Castle (Found by 3)
Full Song

Woah it's a Mario game that not a lot of people really knew. To be fair though, it's a Mario SPORTS game that weirdly decided to insert Final Fantasy characters as well(?). Not part of the Mario Universe canon????

(PC) Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 - Summer Air (Found by 2)
Full Song

This song made me really enjoy this game on a slow, Sunday afternoon. Glad to know two people know about it.

(Genesis) Ecco 2: Tides of Time - Title Theme (Found by 2, half found by 2)
Full Song

My original hint for this game was gonna involve YSG but then I realized how stupid that would be, so I decided against it.

(Wii U) Pushmo World - Mallo's March (Found by 2)
Full Song

Great little puzzler of a game, on the Wii U nonetheless! With how obscure this is, I didn' think it'd get the same amount of correct guesses as both Resident Evil 2 and Psychonauts.

(GC) Luigi's Mansion - Catching Ghosts (Found by 4)
Full Song

oh noooo it's an obscure song from a well known game

(360, PS3) Bayonetta - Let's Dance Boys! (Found by 8)
Full Song

what the heck smash brothers you never told me that this song is in your game

(PC, Xbone, PS4) Overwatch - Victory Theme (Found by 6)
Full Song

With how popular this game has been appearing, I was like "why not" and included the only song (that I know of) in the contest.

INTRUDER: Arthur - Music Cue #3 (Found by 3)
Full Song

RedMageMike how did you not connect the dots with the hint I gave you?

(PS2) Kinetica - Main Menu (Dang, found by Nabe)
Full Song

Pretty much intended to be the hardest song in the whole contest, and yet one person got it! That's crazy to me, as literally no one else I talk to knows this game. Anyway, this is another really difficult racing game (more so than Jetmoto 2) with a radical human-driver concept.

(SNES) Live a Live - Megalomania (Found by 6)
Full Song

This appeared in MaGL3 and I was expecting more people to get this. Granted, it only appeared for like six or so seconds, but I thought that'd be enough to figure it out.

(3DS) Paper Mario: Sticker Star - Kamek Battle (Found by 2, half found by 2)
Full Song

not many people got this because they stopped playing this game before even getting to this part

(NES) Mike Tyson's Punchout! - Training Theme (Found by 16)
Full Song
Sorel wrote:43. It appears that a chocolate-obsessed obese african-american man with black hair, and also black facial hair, wearing a red vest and a white towel wrapped around his neck, who apparently calls himself my trainer has, without my permission, obtained my two-wheeled, pedal powered transportation object by illegal actions, without my knowledge of the event and is currently attempting to escape the scene by using the said object on the streets of New York in the middle of the night.

(PS3) Journey - The Road of Trials (Found by Nabe)
Full Song

As a big fan of the Cello, I hoped more people would have similar tastes as I do and know stuff from Journey. A little saddened but hey you know what now everybody this just gives us the opportunity to join together and have a gnarly listening session.

(3DS) Kirby Planet Robobot - Patched Plains (Found by 9, half found by 6)
Full Song

ok guys I know it's kirby but WHICH kirby?

(PS1) Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - Lights, Camel, Action! (Found by :) :) :) )
Full Song

Kinda expected this one to be a no go. This is definitely my favorite song of the game from like World 3. The game itself? Probably one of the clunkiest uses of tank controls in a game that is sort of bland in aesthetics and overall isn't the greatest of platforms.

(SNES) Contra 3 - Stage 3 (Found by 3, half found by 1)
Full Song

Contra 3 is probably my favorite Contra. Not sure if it was because of the song appearing in a later stage or if it wasn't as popular, but I wonder why this didn't get as many correct guesses as other games. also the code the hint is referring to is the contra code

(PS3, 360) NieR - Grandma (Found by 5)
Full Song

This appeared in the 1st talkhaus VGM contest so I'd thought I throwout a throwback game, and more people seemed to know this one this time around. Also yes the name of the song is indeed Grandma

(Wii) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Romantic Groose (Found by 2???)
Full Song

GUYS C'MON IT'S JUST GROOSE'S THEME BUT SLOWED DOWN!!!! /s

(PS4, Xbone, PC) Furi - You're Mine (Found by 2)
Full Song

One of my favorites in the contest that I put at the end. Everyone should at least take some time and listen to both this and the rest of the Furi soundtack, it's pretty rad! Anyways, gotta end off with a headbanger of a song!!!
The RESULTS

19th -17th
The "I didn't get Mike Tyson's Punchout! Correct" Rank

19th Place - Participation Award
Kshaard - 5

hey you got vvvvvv right

============================================

18th Place - Complimentary Cool Dude
QubicTom - 6

Gets a Sturg point for commenting on the art I did. Sturg points unfortunately don't have value in this contest but still thanks!!!!

17th Place - Last, Last, Last Minute Entry
Parama - 9

See I told you'd beat a couple people!!!

16th - 14th
The "Winning is Not as Fun as Losing" Rank

16th Place - Doing their Bestest and Havin' a Good Time
Matt is me - 13

You seemed to be having a lot of fun with this contests just from your answers and such! Even if you didn't get too many I appreciate your guesses a lot, as it was fun to look at.

15th Place - The Sturgilicious Entry
pholtos - 15

Pretty much every guess in pholto's entry followed the gimmick following the life of Sturg. Talk about effort haha!

14th Place - Likes the Number 8
8bitgamer123 - 16

You submitted 8 top quality answers without hints! Good work.

13th -12th
The "I Know A Couple More Than the Bottom Ranks" Rank

13th place - The New Guy
RegiBleck - 17

As far as I know, I've never seen you enter one of these before, so it's nice to see some a newcomer! (and if you have, the placing title is forever dead)

12th place - Procrastinator Proclamator
Pyro - 18

Way to be one of the only people to get AVGN II and Sticker Star.

11th -10th
The "Managed To Get Into A 3-Way Tie Except It's Actually A 2-Way Tie" Rank

11th Place - Successful Hint Utilizer
kitikami - 21

I'm glad you were able to identify more songs from all those hints you used!

10th Place - All Around Pretty Decent
128-up - 22

I was pleasantly surprised to see you get Pushmo World correct.

10th Place - Also Tied For Most Half Guesses
ano0maly - 22

I had a little trouble comprehending your answers to the point I went back and triple checked it.
Don't worry it's me, I'm just a dum-dum and can't read too good.

8th - 7th
The "Scores Right Smack in The Middle" Rank

8th Place - Veteran of the Trade
Bean - 25

While you didn't score terribly high, I still consider you to be the Silent Prince of the VGM department.

7th Place - Alleged Arthur Fan???
AuraPaladin - 26

Glad to see you so excited about the intruder song, as it boosted you just one point above Bean.

6th Place
The "Technically Didn't Get Into the Top Five Because We Tied" Rank

6th Place - Best Mod
Jesuiscontent - 29

Nice you got pac man 2 all by yourself please feel better soon

6th Place - The Other Guy Tied For Most Half Guesses
cheez8 - 29

I think if you double checked some of your guesses you would've gotten even more right. [See: Spyro]

4th - 2nd
The "Big Hitters" Rank

4th Place - Fairly Knowledgable
Xirix - 33

Way to guess Tales of the Abyss for 21 when it was actually 23!!!! Still good job yo.

3rd Place - Had Lucky Instincts
Sorel - 37

I'm not sure if you knew what the intruder song was or not, but it seemed like you just randomly guess it. Kudos if you did! Also, the 1st entrant to ask for hints!

2nd Place - Consistently Excellent
RedMageMike - 43

Even when I'm not participating you're always in the top three or so, glad to see that hasn't stopped.
but seriously how did you not get the intruder you like posted an arthur video and everything

:o 1ST :o
The "I Knew Who Was Going To Win Even Before I Finished Their Entry" Rank

1st Place - The Sturg Award
NABE - 86

jfc like seriously when I saw you get Jetmoto AND Kinetica I was pretty sure I knew who the winner was of the contest. Way to completely demolish the competition and get 2x the score of 2nd place!!!

Welp, that about wraps thing up! Thanks to all who participated in this contest and submitted! I had a lot of fun doing this, even if it was late!!

Until Next Time!

Spreadsheet of all the results
Last edited by Sturg on 02 Jan 2017, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
now let me into your cool gang

128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VGM Contest X RESULTS

Postby 128-Up » 2 months ago

Sturg wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to see you get Pushmo World correct.
I own Pullblox on my 3DS (I think that's Pushmo), and I recognised the last few seconds of the snippet as the level clear jingle. So I had the series nailed down. From there it was just "Well it's not Pullblox so it's probably the Wii U one I saw videos of".

Either way, thanks for this!

also holy shit Nabe where did you come from
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.

RegiGiygas
is anything important? like waffles or sprockets?
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/hymn

Postby RegiGiygas » 2 months ago

I am kind of disappointed with myself that I didn't get the Glover or Crypt of the Necrodancer songs, since I've played both of those games. But whatever.

Congrats to Nabe, Sorel, Mike and all the other chaps who participated.
Waaa.

Xirix
The British Palindrome

Postby Xirix » 2 months ago

Okay I definitely wasn't expecting 4th, but I'll take it. ^_^ This was fun, I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next one.

Some thoughts.. I'm less annoyed at myself for the AVGN game one as I've only played the first one, not the second. But really, that was Gran Turismo? It totally sounds like a JRPG intro... and what the hell Intelligent Qube? That's Mario Galaxy music right there, am I going insane? :P

RedMageMike
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Postby RedMageMike » 2 months ago

I'm dumb. I took the hint as this game has a library card in it and not check Arthur songs...

Pyro
cutie
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Pyro » 2 months ago

hell yeah i'm super good at videogames!!!!!!
professional meme

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 2 months ago

Seems about right for me, I've hardly played any of these games.

And you are right, I quit sticker star during the first. level.

Who is pholto? ( '^')
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV
Pokemon Gimmick Free For All Feel free to join in the fun! :3

ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.
Currently playing:

Bean

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

Should've got the Sticker Star one since I liked that soundtrack, but Luigi's Mansion and Mario Sports Mix were never going to come to me. I'm more surprised I got the half guess right for Ecco seeing as how I've never played or even looked at a video of one of those games before. Crash one was pretty easy to guess the series from the music style, but I thought it was the Jet Ski theme from Warped which is what threw me off there. And finally, you're dang right Contra III's the best one.

One more time, here were my picks. Don't think I'll ever win one of these again, but it's nice to try!

1) VVVVVV
6) Sonic the Hedgehog 2k6
8) Ys?
11) Shinobi III
17) Tekken 5*
18) Skies of Arcadia
19) Pilotwings
21) Gran Turismo 4
24) Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
25) The Intruder!
29) Wild Arms
31) Crash Bandicoot?
34) Ecco the Dolphin?
37) Space Channel 5?
43) Punch-Out!!
45) Kirby: Planet Robobot
47) Contra III: The Alien Wars

*Originally didn't put this down because of a really good hint, but after a quick PM, it was no big deal and did.

8bitgamer123
Desperately avoiding nihilism.
First name: Brian

Postby 8bitgamer123 » 2 months ago

Wow, okay.

edit: why didn't i submit earlier i could've used hints aaaargh
Last edited by 8bitgamer123 on 02 Jan 2017, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 2 months ago

A collection of comments
Sturg wrote:I had a little trouble comprehending your answers to the point I went back and triple checked it.
What

I clearly underlined or boldfaced my guesses. If anything I think pholtos's guesses are hard to comprehend. When I saw them I was thinking "pholtos how is Sturg going to grade this, it's like you're giving the task of guessing back to him"
(PS2) Kinetica - Main Menu (Dang, found by Nabe)
Full Song

Pretty much intended to be the hardest song in the whole contest, and yet one person got it! That's crazy to me, as literally no one else I talk to knows this game. Anyway, this is another really difficult racing game (more so than Jetmoto 2) with a radical human-driver concept.
Actually I've played Kinetica, even posted about it in the Underrated Games thread. I just don't remember music from it.
(SNES) Contra 3 - Stage 3 (Found by 3, half found by 1)
Full Song

Contra 3 is probably my favorite Contra. Not sure if it was because of the song appearing in a later stage or if it wasn't as popular, but I wonder why this didn't get as many correct guesses as other games. also the code the hint is referring to is the contra code
No it's the Konami Code, get it right (it didn't even start with Contra, Gradius was the first game with the code)

When I saw the hint for this one, I knew it had to be either Gradius or Contra. The VGM just sounded more like Contra than Gradius.
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

Kshaard
Phonotactically-non-conformist monosyllable

Postby Kshaard » 2 months ago

Welp, as someone who probably has finished less then 10 games in my life…

(wait… it's literally all mario. 64 and the DS remake, smw, nsmb, 3d land and that's it. wow.)

OK, 5 games, I think a score of 5 is almost respectable. No it's not; I definitely knew punch-out. And the arthur music. Ah well; at least I somehow guessed resident evil.

You didn't specify whose signature it had to be!

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 2 months ago

ano0maly wrote:A collection of comments
I think if you flipped the underlined and bolded answers, that would've been clear to me at least. Or even just use one clear indicator for all guesses rather than using two different ones. It's all good though, I just had a bit of trouble, no big deal.

Glad to see Kinetica is not dead.

As for the Konami code that was entirely my bad. I've always heard it as the Contra code and not the Konami code. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
now let me into your cool gang

Sorel
Daga kotowaru.
First name: Alexander

Postby Sorel » 2 months ago

...wait, 3rd place?

I never watched a single episode of Arthur, so it was mostly just a blind guess. But, only mostly. Why? The instrumentation and composition gives it away.

Here are my guesses, including Number 43.
It's that time of the year again, huh?

1. MMMMMM is my favourite game (Pressure Cooker - VVVVVV)
2. Sounds like... Megaman?
3. weird one.
4. Catchy.
5. Blindly guessing... Donkey Kong?
6. oh no. ( Soleanna Castle Town - Sonic 06)
7. Sounds neat.
8. I dunno, sounds like Bravely Default.
9. sounds like some SNES RPG music.
10. quite rocky!
11. Never played Shinobi, but I heard it's alright. (Whirlwind - Shinobi 3 - Return of the Master Ninja)
12. Ominous.
13. ...Ninja Gaiden?
14. Something something Metal Gear.
15. oh god is that really the Hotel Mario intro theme? why? (Reading the Letter - Hotel Mario)
16. no clue.
17. nope.
18. just as confused as always. Sounds like some sort of airship theme though.
19. Soaring through the sky. good times. (Light Plane - Pilotwings)
20. Welp... still no clue.
21. I cri evri tiem. and then, guitars happen.
22. GOD DAMMIT KAWASHIMA (Main Menu - Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training/Age/Whatever this game was localized as)
23. ???
24. Poppin'. (Popple Battle - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga)
25. uh...
26. wait, Rockstar made this game? (Walk theme - Bully)
27. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT (South Town's Theme - Dynamite Headdy)
28. uh... The Legend of Zelda?
29. [insert high noon here]
30. AAAAAAAAAAAAA THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR
31. okay... what?
32. ???
33. I like how this one sounds, but meh.
34. sounds dark.
35. uh...
36. God dammit this one was hard to find. (Sucking Up Weak Ghosts - Luigi's Mansion)
37. DANCE BOYS, DANCE! (Let's Dance, Boys! - Bayonetta)
38. PLAY OF THE GAME - SOREL AS GEN- no wait it's Sombra. again. fucking hell. (Victory theme - Overwatch)
39. gonna place my bets on intruder.
40. I like this one!
41. Fuck Megalovania, this is 10 times better. (Megalomania - Live a Live)
42. I gotta admit, this game was mediocre, but the music was rad! (Kamek Battle - Paper Mario: Sticker Star)
43. It appears that a chocolate-obsessed obese african-american man with black hair, and also black facial hair, wearing a red vest and a white towel wrapped around his neck, who apparently calls himself my trainer has, without my permission, obtained my two-wheeled, pedal powered transportation object by illegal actions, without my knowledge of the event and is currently attempting to escape the scene by using the said object on the streets of New York in the middle of the night. (Training/Jogging Theme - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!)
44. sounds forest-y
45. Hello, Kirby game I will never buy. (Patched Plains 1 - Kirby: Planet Robobot)
46. sounds like bones being used as drums. and trumpeteroos.
47. Midis. Midis everywhere.
48. My friend keeps telling me about this game. Maybe I should give it a shot. (Grandma - NieR)
49. I dunno.
50. I need to play Furi at some point. (You're Mine - Furi)

EDIT: so, who got Number 50? I'm kinda disappointed only one other person guessed it correctly.
ImageImageImageImageImage
If you need something translated to german or something german to english, feel free to PM me. I'll get to it eventually.

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 2 months ago

My answers:

This took much effort.

Just for reference, the answers I locked down are in underline; other actual guesses are in boldface.

1) Pressure Cooker from VVVVVV, desu yo!
2) <hint used> Front Line Base from U.N. Squadron. I had to search a lot of SNES plane games for this.
3) Chrono Trigger
4) A rhythm game, maybe? Beatmania?
5) Eh, Yoshi's Woolly World
6) Feels relaxing.
7) Charmed Ridge from Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon! Huzzah!
8) F-Zero...?
9) Castlevania. With an orchestral piece like that, that's the first thing that comes to mind.
10) Star Fox game
11) Megaman X(n)
12) I think this is the intruder.
13) I really feel like I should know this... but I got nothing.
14) Metal Gear Something
15) Jak & Daxter ish
16) A 3D Sonic game
17) Something from the Persona series
18) Mabinogi
19) Light Plane from Pilotwings - I got this because of ASMT
20) AVGN Adventures perhaps
21) Guilty Gear
22) <hint used> Main Menu theme from Brain Age, thanks for the hint!
23) Tales of (fill in the blank)
24) Popple Battle from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Take that!
25) yelling
26) Perfect Dark
27) <hint used> Paper Mario?? That's the only thing I can think of based on the hint, but it doesn't sound right...
28) A Zelda game
29) Wild Arms
30) One of the Donkey Kong Land games
31) Dingodile theme from Crash Bandicoot Warped (My first thought was Crash Bash, see Dot Dash)
32) Pac-Man World? Sounds familiar.
33) LaTale because it sounds nice
34) Ghosts n Goblins
35) LittleBigPlanet
36) Bubsy
37) Dead or Alive, hopefully
38) <hint used> Victory theme from Overwatch. How majestic!
39) Umm... Banjo-Kazooie.
40) Catchy. What's the person saying?
41) Street Fighter
42) jazzy
43) Bicycle Training from (Mike Tyson's) Punch-Out!! Bam!
44) The style makes me think Atelier series.
45) Sounds like Kirby.
46) Guacamelee!
47) <hint used> Contra, I suppose?
48) If only I could parse the words, I would look them up!
49) Kid Icarus: Uprising. Because it feels like a sky theme.
50) Some other thing I have a vague sense of what kind of games would fit, but can't name any.

My game knowledge is not broad enough

And the hints I requested:

2. This dogfight of a game sounds similar to another very well-known SNES game, which makes sense as they both were made by the same developer!

22. Handheld workouts for your cranium.

27. Similarly to SMB3, this entire game takes place solely on a stage set for a play.

38. Play of the Game goes to anybody who can guess this somewhat recent video game song.

47. Incredibly difficult games incredibly renown for its cheat code.

And a general advice (if you're reading this I may mean you): don't feel that you shouldn't participate just because you don't know that many. I myself only knew about 5-6 at first, not counting the ones with hints, but I just tried to make thoughtful guesses for the others. Guessing is the fun part.
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

cheez8
Food Nut

Postby cheez8 » 2 months ago

I was kind of hoping I'd be the only one to get Roller Coaster Tycoon 3! Ah well, I'll settle for being the only Not-Nier Person to guess it. That's just as good. Also, I think this marks the second AVGN track in a row which I mistakenly labeled the intruder

also hey, I hardly had time to research #4 and the ones you gave me hints about, okay
on that note, here, have my barely-edited first draft
cheez8 wrote:
[Message Subject: AUGH]

I LOVE PROCRASTINATION OH YEAH
TIME TO PASTE MY STUPID FIRST DRAFT (plus a pinch of research)

1. VVVVVV
2. F-Zero?
3. Braid? idk it sounds like it's probably something on steam
4. Crypt of the Necrodancer
5. Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2?
6. Sonic Lost World
7. I think this is Spyro's sort of style so... Ripto's Rage? (could check) (DIDN'T CHECK)
8. Violin Racer (maybe a hint? idk seems potentially sonic-y)
9. Secret Agent Violin
10. Violin Racer GX: Rock On
11. Sonic CD
12. Resident Evil 2
13. Ninja Gaiden 3
14. fire emblem
fire emblem
fire emblem
15. Hotel Mario. gdi Sturg
16. this doesn't sound good enough to be the intruder
17. Star Fox Adventures
18. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon???
19. ASMT PILOTWINGS I REMEMBERE DIT
20. ?????/??/?? (looking back through I guess I'll call this the intruder)
21. Tales of Vesperia
22. Brain Age
23. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
24. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
25. CSI: Madoka
26. No More Heroes maybe? what video games even bother with social cliques these days
27. A hint might help me here. The soundfont seems distinctive. A hint didn't help me here. Final Fantasy: Theatrythm?
28. Lego Something
29. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon? the style reminds me of a Blue Rescue Team track but better
30. Chibi-Robo
31. shouldn't this have lyrics or something (maybe Mega Man Legends on account of that weird grumpy bass)
32. Mario Sports Mix! Finally a hint paid off with a bit of elbow grease
33. R-Roller Coaster Tycoon 3? Wow, did not expect that at all
34. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
35. Birds Invade a Peaceful 8-Bit Morning
36. Luigi's Mansion. Physically impossible to forget this tune
37. AWW YEAH (might blow a hint on this so I can listen to it sooner <3) (didn't happen. Persona 4 Arena is probably a safe guess)
38. come back to this one
39. Wario Land: Shake It!!
40. Trauma Team idk
41. King of Fighters
42. Dawn of the Ugly Duckling actually Paper Mario: Color Splash might be a safe guess
43. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
44. Kid Icarus Uprising
45. Kirby: Planet Robobo bo bobobo
46. Viva Piñata!
47. Final Fantasy 2
48. "You're late for Friday, Daughter 3 of 8. F'naleigh removed your nose!"

what do you MEAN "No results found"???
49. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword feat. Groose
50. Mega Man & Bass
I don't really get it but okay

Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!

Postby Reecer7 » 2 months ago

Man, if I knew that out of the FOUR answers I got, one of them would only have two other people guess it right (#35), maybe I would've submitted my answers.

But maybe I wouldn't have. Four's still pretty pathetic.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand.
I do a lot more things at my tumblr here than I do here! So, check it out, if you think I'm cool!

Nabe
Still working on AZCT

Postby Nabe » 2 months ago

yeah sorry y'all I am way into racing games
128-Up wrote:also holy shit Nabe where did you come from
The AZCT subforum! I'm not allowed out until it's done.
Sorel wrote:so, who got Number 50? I'm kinda disappointed only one other person guessed it correctly.
:D
(haven't played it)

Matt is me

Postby Matt is me » 2 months ago

Oh man, I didn't think I'd be that close to a solo-correct on #34.

I'm pretty happy with 13 points. I knew I'd have at least 8 (10 after hints), so 13 is great. :D

RedMageMike

I didn't expect to be the only one to get Tales of the Abyss. I also didn't expect to be only one of two people to get Glover.

Thanks for making this one Sturg. It was fun. Congrats to Nabe for going total beast mode on this. Can't wait to see you and Sturg battle it out next contest :lol:

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 2 months ago

Well no wonder I couldn't precisely find #5 in the pac man world 2 OST after getting your hint

"waka waka except in 3D

, I'd have never clicked on "into the volcano" for a track that sounds so much like a beach level like this one. What the hell is wrong with this game?

Also yeah I was so sure #29 would be a trap and not actually Wild Arms...

Nice contest Sturg. I think that was the one that was the most balanced difficulty-wise, and good on you for going through the effort of thinking of hints for everyone !

RedMageMike

Jesuiscontent wrote:Well no wonder I couldn't precisely find #5 in the pac man world 2 OST after getting your hint

"waka waka except in 3D

, I'd have never clicked on "into the volcano" for a track that sounds so much like a beach level like this one. What the hell is wrong with this game?
For some reason, my first thought was "jungle". And then I also thought it might be Crash Bandicoot. It didn't help for #5, but it eventually got me #31, so it worked out kinda.

Parama

Postby Parama » 2 months ago

i did a thing yay
If I was suffering, I’d cut the ties that were never meant to bind.

kitikami

Postby kitikami » 2 months ago

Thanks to Sturg for running this. The hints were a nice gimmick, and it added to the fun to be able to search for songs with a solid starting point. There were also some really good tracks that I'm glad to have heard now.

I really should have recognized the Crash Bandicoot song enough to at least get the series, but I also guessed that the one was from Kirby without actually knowing the song, so I guess that evens out.

Return to “old contests”