(shouting)

Okay so should we just officially cancel this or what

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Okay so should we just officially cancel this or what

Post by raocow »

Nobody is doing anything anymore. People say that the problem is leadership, but nobody volonteers themselves or anyone for any role, and anytime we do get someone decent they eventually bail out without replacement. Right now we got a ton of things just kind of hanging in the air, with nothing happening. Even limepie seemingly stopped working on it, with a whole slew of finished levels still not inserted, or at least not in a publicly available form.

I mean, I'm just saying is that if nobody is interested in finishing this, let's not delude ourselves here.

Does writing this make me happy? Hell no. But, well, gotta call a spade a spade here.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
anonymousbl00dlust

Re: Okay so should we just officially cancel this or what

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

Just coming to back up raocow here.

I've been working on the final level with/alongside him for a good majority of this hack's development time. During that time, I nearly died from a major spinal infection, and ended up having invasive surgery that left me barely able to move for nearly half a year. During that time, I literally neglected everything in my life to make a masterpiece for this hack. I sat in a stretcher for 4 months being tube-fed and throwing every bit of strength and hope into the thought that you, and others might one day play this and enjoy it as much as I want you to.

My point here is not to garner sympathy or to elevate myself from responsibility. What I'm trying to say is that there are others just like me who put lots of work into this thing, and we owe it to each other and ourselves to make a2mt the best hack we possibly can.

Whatever happens, I WILL keep working. I refuse to give up and I suggest you all do the same.

Cheers.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

I want to to contribute more to this, but I'm not sure exactly what needs to be worked on. No one has (officially) declared that we can start working on switch palace sublevels (assuming those will still be multi-authored) or the 'final' castle.

I'm kind of interested in the overworld myself, but I'm not sure if there's already specific people working on it or something.

I dunno, I just feel like someone needs to come in and tell us what the hell we should be doing.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the day that the level I submitted 3 months ago gets inserted.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I haven't stopped; I'm working very slowly. I guess I've just been having to allocate a lot more time to life outside internet.

And no matter what happens, A2MT should by no means be cancelled. There's already a lot of work done and even if level production or really everything-production stopped here, a couple people could still organize the levels into an overworld and the hack would be able to uphold itself well.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Limepie, what we basically need right now is a baserom with all the levels submitted actually in it. I know you are busy in real life, but I'm just asking if you can take a weekend or something to have that 'done' so we can put some life back into this thing.

Afterwards, if you truly are that busy, someone else can do the insertion of the last few levels.

I mean once this is done, the rest of the work only requires one or two deidcated persons working together, but this has been a pretty big hurdle.

I don't like being pushy, especially not for 'an internet project', but what momemtum we managed to build up has just flatout died.
Cup

Post by Cup »

The only thing I see saving the project is if SNN still has interest to take over once SMWCP2 is finished. I know he's expressed interest before, and he has the qualifications and experience to make it work. He's also been following the forum simiregularly and would be ideal.

Otherwise we just need to get the baserom into the hands of someone who can make it into a game once limepie finishes what he's doing. There have been several people who seem more than qualified, it'd just be a matter of contacting them and asking if they have the time and desire. People like Yogui, E-Man, Systemkrash, Daxterspeed, who have met deadlines and made quality levels would be the first to ask.

Edit* Even if none of those people show interest, I still wouldn't kill the project until SMWCP2 is released.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

No way in hell A2MT should be cancelled, there just has been too much effort given into this project to let it die. Personnaly I'm in the same boat as Isocitration as I have a few ideas for a Charles Castle room since I sumbitted my level, but I didn't really want to go ahead and say "hey guys wassup with A2MT", so I'm kinda glad raocow opened that thread

raocow

Post by raocow »

But like, WHY should we have to wait after SNN. That's nonsensical. The thing is RIGHT THERE, anyone could do the finishing things. It doesn't make any sense.

There's something I'm not 'getting' that you guys are, or something, because everytime it is brought up I'm just completely baffled.It's like nobody is willing to take a chance.

But this is moot unti we get the baserom that has all the levels in it, which is what stopped the project in its tracks.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

What, exactly, is preventing you, the specific reader reading and responding to this post, from creating this base rom that we need?

Hell, if there's no ASM shenanigans that need to be inserted, I could make the base rom. Lord knows I have nothing but time on my hands.

EDIT: Don't we have any old proto-base roms floating around anywhere? It's not like only one person has to do everything for making the base rom. One person can design the base map, another person can insert the map events, another person can insert the graphics, another person can insert the global ASM... they're called "Development Teams" because in a project like this, no one person can (or should) do it all.
Last edited by raekuul 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

What I'm hoping for is a more recent baserom and a list of unfinished levels, that would really help so we know what levels are left and I personally don't mind making another one if there are missing levels or even just finishing the ones that got dropped or something.
raocow

Post by raocow »

That's pretty much what I've been saying.

Limepie, this is directed to you: if progress will be slow, could you at least post your most recent baserom, and what is left to do with it, as in the levels that have yet to be inserted? If you are busy that is SUPER understandable, but it's better in that case to just let someone else finish this job.

This 'problem' is essentially how someone could sum up all the problems the stupid project had from the start, really.
shdwdrgnix

Post by shdwdrgnix »

After we get a good view on how many levels are left, we can simply plan out how the remaining levels will be made and who will finish them, then it would be just a matter of getting all the other things implemented like the Overworld and the storyline.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Cup wrote:The only thing I see saving the project is if SNN still has interest to take over once SMWCP2 is finished.
I hate to bring this up here and cause a sort of derail, but this sounds exactly like the "lets make talkhaus good again" deal, where everybody WANTS something to happen, but NONE of those people are willing to take charge. It's kind of like if you were sitting at home and you thought to yourself "man I could go for a bowl of cereal" then sitting around waiting for someone to get it for you. Pretty much this:
raocow wrote:But like, WHY should we have to wait after SNN. That's nonsensical. The thing is RIGHT THERE, anyone could do the finishing things. It doesn't make any sense.

There's something I'm not 'getting' that you guys are, or something, because everytime it is brought up I'm just completely baffled.It's like nobody is willing to take a chance.
Some of you need your asses kicked into doing some of this stuff. Yes, I'm aware some of you are "busy" but there's plenty of people who I'm sure can handle it (also this isn't directed specifically at Cup or anyone else)

Also I know you guys need the rom, but I'm pretty sure it's burnout more than whatever else is happening to limepie right now. I'm sure he'll be willing to give up everything he's done. I've been telling him for a while to just hand everything over, maybe he'll finally do it! Don't worry guys, you'll get it, you just may have to wait a little bit longer. In the meantime you can fight over who has to gets to take charge
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Cup

Post by Cup »

We don't have to wait or rely on SNN. There's no reason to place all our eggs in that basket. I just see that as the best possible turn, because he has done something no one else here has, express interest. On top of that interest he has experience in reviving dying projects. Anyone can take hold of this thing definitely, it doesn't even have to be any of those people that I mentioned (or others I was impressed by but left out) it just needs to be someone willing to do the legwork. But the people that fit that one criteria are few.

I don't have the time to volunteer myself, but I can definitely start the ball rolling by PMing all those people I mentioned in my last post and at least getting them in this discussion. Otherwise, we don't HAVE to wait on SNN or others involved in SMWCP2, but the project won't suffer any more than it has waiting a few months for its reboot. It's also unlikely that he still has the same level of interest, but again, I see no harm in waiting IF nothing else comes of this thread.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I have to agree with raocow here. Don't go nominating other people, but rather promote yourself as a leader. It's not hard; you just have to be able to insert levels... pretty much? Hell, I could do it. But, alas, I can't now.

And right now, we don't need a leader but rather a manager.

And, raocow, if I don't finish the baserom by the end of this weekend, I'll post what I do have done. At most, there should only be like three levels left to insert. Mainly because I probably wouldn't be able to progress at all until two weekends later.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Good. Good, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you limepie.
dashta

Post by dashta »

I have no idea what I'm doing, but if I have some guidance, I can insert stuff into the baserom, or whatever else needs done on that level.
Again, no experience whatsoever, but I have a small degree of free time, which I can devote to trying to do this stuff.
I have been trying to find a way to get involved with this (Mario hacking has proven to not be my forte) so I would be happy for the opportunity, if someone can at least make enough of a commitment to help me understand this stuff.
If I would be more of a hindrance than anything else, I completely understand, I'm just extending the invitation.
VV My Channel, shameless advertising FTW! VV
http://www.youtube.com/user/daeshta?feature=mhee
GENERATION 26: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I'm only doing this because Yonowaaru made me, blame him.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Basically, anyone who wants to help out with inserting levels just needs to be familiar with lunar magic and able to insert music, insert sprites, insert blocks, and use xkas.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I don't think we should cancel this at all, in fact, I've just finished my level and I don't want it to go to waste, so I'd be happy to work on another level to make the project last (besides, I've got a major idea in my mind thats repeating OVER AND OVER!) and I was practicing ripping overworlds (like Kremland from DKC2 for example) so if you guys want any ripped overworlds, just PM me.

Besides, I'm a pretty good leader myself, I could give it a shot.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Worst case scenario, just get all the levels together and throw together a basic overworld and release it as a variety hack.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I like how a lot of people immediately mentioned my name even though I offered months ago and have since become incredibly busy with life. The absolute earliest I'd be able to help with it would be April at this point (but at the rate things are going, that might actually be fine). SMWCP2 is nearing completion though, so that "free time" may be sooner. Who knows?

Others have raised a good point, though. I'm shocked that no one is volunteering to take over (and those who are .. don't really have the qualifications and/or wouldn't do a good job at all). What happened to relatively decent sized group of people who were all in on this hack from the get-go? I realize it's been almost two years and many of them have left, but it's actually discouraging to see about a dozen people max posting in this forum now (with some of them not even really involved in the project to begin with).

Eh. I mean, the hack is too far along now to be called off, but I imagine it's going to take quite a while to get the remainder done.

EDIT: Also, as a friendly note for those who are leading/attempting to lead (limepie for one, whoever else is doing stuff) - if you feel burnt out, take a break. Don't feel pressured by an Internet project, because that's all it is in the long run. I'm speaking from experience that you'll end up really pissed at yourself if you do something you don't want to do (or don't have time to do).
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

S.N.N. wrote:EDIT: Also, as a friendly note for those who are leading/attempting to lead (limepie for one, whoever else is doing stuff) - if you feel burnt out, take a break. Don't feel pressured by an Internet project, because that's all it is in the long run. I'm speaking from experience that you'll end up really pissed at yourself if you do something you don't want to do (or don't have time to do).
Haha, yes, this is something I have come to realize but due to many reasons undefined, continuing to insert levels isn't feasible for me.

Maybe I can get back into deadlines and wiki because it doesn't seem like flameofdoubt is doing that even though I bestowed that authority upon him.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Alex wrote:
Diddyboy100 wrote:Besides, I'm a pretty good leader myself, I could give it a shot.
Hell no. Your ZM collab hack flopped pretty hard, so I'm super against you trying to lead this.
I was kidding, Alexander! I know only 1 user who would know about my "on hold" project.

But yeah, seriously, I think ether S.N.N. or another user named JDC who is a pretty good leader.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Diddy don't ignore raocow's posts.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
raocow

Post by raocow »

We don't even really need a leader at this point, peeps. We need 'the levels inserted in the baserom', first of all, as our priority here. FOCUS, people.