(shouting)

What are we even doing?

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
ProfessorDemetri

Re: What are we even doing?

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Hey chdata...
So for the chests, was the glitch dependant upon where we placed the chest sprite? I mean, there's an easy fix for that.
Find out where it works, and have us place it there.
I mean for example, if it works on screen 0D, below a certain about of tiles, then we could just place the chests there? Or have a new room alotted for said chests. If the chests, or the place for the chests can't be screen 0D, the chest can then be swapped out for a door that leads to a place where the chest works?
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

No, it depends on where the player opens it. You may place it on one part of the screen, only for the player to open it on the left of the screen or the right of it.

Glitch #2 is that sprites locked doesn't work at all, another big problem.

I'm digging up the compilation patch, since no blues appear to have it.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Diortem wrote:
chdata wrote:yoshi coin stuff, use with Objectool
The graphics I made are probably lost.
I got the coin asm, and will look into it. It doesn't look too complicated. All the files are almost identical. Although, your Top5Coin part is missing some code section to erase the bottom. I guess a copy/paste mistake...

Don't you even have some patched rom you used for testing vid like the ones on youtube? If so, it is still possible to extract the gfx from them.

1, 2, 3, A2MT! XD
It isn't a copy/paste mistake, I did not copy paste anything here. This coding was made by Imamelia of SMWCentral, but still has to further be edited for A2MT's exact needs.

If you haven't tried running these codes yet, none of these should have code to erase the bottom as it spawns the actual yoshi coin block itself, as this is an object and not a normal block, inserted through objectool. If you've seen the video, I've also tested it and it works 100%.

ProfessorDemetri

Okay, so that door seems more plausible then, because if we had just...
instead of a treasure chest, a treasure chest room, then we could have it one screen, making sure the screen didn't move, so the player would open it in the same spot every time?
Granted, it would almost double the amount of sublevels, but it IS a fix for that...

The second glitch I don't understand what you mean.
What sprite lock? You mean... it doesn't stay in place?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I found my PM for the patches...

Sent: 17 Jan 2011, 05:21
To: DaxterSpeed flameofdoubt Tails_155 Terry von Feleday limepie20

Incase I die or something craaazy happens I'm uploading the what I think is the latest version of the compiled patch so every other blue has a copy just in case.

I have yet to test it with Huflu's status bar hack and whatnot. I still need to do normal updates on it and I've been focusing on Pily and getting used to asm again.

(Sent to all blues)

The file appears to have been deleted. Will now dig through my files.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Okay, so that door seems more plausible then, because if we had just...
instead of a treasure chest, a treasure chest room, then we could have it one screen, making sure the screen didn't move, so the player would open it in the same spot every time?
Granted, it would almost double the amount of sublevels, but it IS a fix for that...

The second glitch I don't understand what you mean.
What sprite lock? You mean... it doesn't stay in place?
I guess having a treasure chest room could work. Also, that would not double the amount of sublevels. You would only have one treasure chest room, as the treasure chest reads from $13BF in order to seperate between all the sublevels when choosing an image and message to pop up. I recommend using a small Demo door.

The sprites locked timer is used to freeze sprites in the game such as Demo and any normal sprites. Basically, it would allow my chest to act like normal message boxes in how it freezes Demo. However, it doesn't seem to work in my chest for no freakin' reason.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Looky what I found.

With all this found, goodbye. I'll still answer questions if needed though. Whenever I happen to pop into the forum again at least. If you need anything more immediate, pm me on Youtube.

ProfessorDemetri

Great, so let's make a treasure chest room then.
We could even have some nice, shiney graphics for it, with gold, and rubies, and other treasures, or something.
That's one problem fixed.

And the other.... Why do we need Demo to be frozen? Can't she see the message? See the treasure, and then leave out another door? I honestly don't see why she needs to be frozen? lol :lol:
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Because, it's like a message box.

And if she's unfrozen, she could jump and cover the message and treasure image spawned by the treasure chest. This is aesthetically poor.

Heck, not being able to fix the graphical glitch and having to resort to these doors is also aesthetically poor, instead of being able to find them anywhere.

Aesthetics are a big thing for whatever I code for SMW. (Too bad I don't do that anymore). Big example, if you look at any custom sprite ever that freezes the player, it uses that stomp timer thing that makes the player face forward. I hate that and went to make something that incases the player in ice that you break out of after a few seconds, that you can also shake if you try to jump.

For reference, this is what the chests do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDTuNmCDdPI

I had another video showcasing the problem, however at some point I seem to have removed it.

Here's what I can salvage from searching it on YT.

A2MT Treasure Chest Problem
Why doesn't the "item" or in other words the "heart" appear when the treasure box's Xpos is $6C or less? In the top left corner of the status bar ...

ProfessorDemetri

Cool story.
But long story short, is that you're not doing it anymore, and we need to find alternatives.

And now that I think about it.
Why not just put a layer of transparent blocks under the message box, so that Demo simply doesn't have the option of jumping infront of it, but still can read it?

This way, we still have the Chest, we still have the treasure, and everything's all good. :) lol

Man, you guys love to over complicate things... >.>

E: And the door wouldn't NEED to be aesthetically poor. It could be a golden door, specifically made FOR the treasure room. I think that would be a neat idea. And it could be really nice looking too.

Edit after watching the video: Okay, I see what you mean. So is there a way for the message to appear in the top half of the screen? Or a positioning code that would force it upwards, and not be where demo is?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Cool story.
But long story short, is that you're not doing it anymore, and we need to find alternatives.

And now that I think about it.
Why not just put a layer of transparent blocks under the message box, so that Demo simply doesn't have the option of jumping infront of it, but still can read it?

This way, we still have the Chest, we still have the treasure, and everything's all good. :) lol

Man, you guys love to over complicate things... >.>

E: And the door wouldn't NEED to be aesthetically poor. It could be a golden door, specifically made FOR the treasure room. I think that would be a neat idea. And it could be really nice looking too.
A layer of transparent blocks is ugly to bump in to in the middle of the screen.

The door isn't that bad though, but whatever.

edit: For one, we'd need to hide the status bar. For two, the position of the HDMA and Layer 3 message spawning is fairly hard coded from what I remember, and would be annoying for someone to change.

Not to menion it wouldn't look as good.

ProfessorDemetri

What we need to do is make something that works, and then figure out what we can do to make it LOOK good later.

If it'll come down to using transparent blocks, then so be it. Atleast we'll have a chest that displays treasure, and is a fun little thing exclusive to A2MT.

And honestly? I don't like the idea of the black strip appearing over Demo in the first place. From the video you linked me, and poking around on the youtube related videos, I'd RATHER it be above Demo, instead of appearing inside her. Kinda like a Message Box message, only with a piece of treasure in it.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Why don't you just lock the entire game into the chest code when you open the chest? When the player pushes a button leave the chest code loop. You shouldn't need to lock sprites or anything. Is the graphical glitch about opening the chest on a screen boundary?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

chdata wrote:It isn't a copy/paste mistake, I did not copy paste anything here. This coding was made by Imamelia of SMWCentral, but still has to further be edited for A2MT's exact needs.

If you haven't tried running these codes yet, none of these should have code to erase the bottom as it spawns the actual yoshi coin block itself, as this is an object and not a normal block, inserted through objectool. If you've seen the video, I've also tested it and it works 100%.
Then it is strange the code for the bottom of coin five is not the same as the others (just compare the files). They're all copies except that the index is different and the "SEC SUB / CLC ADC" part on lines 37/38. If it acts the same it means the others have superfluous code, or at least something fishy is going on.

That's a pretty long convo going on. The downrun is that indeed we need to get something working (Btw. is the chest vertical level compatible?). Although, with the asm for the chest in a fixed room it could be possible to manipulate the teleporter (e.g. one would only need 1 single chest room in the whole game, although I'm not sure how dirty that would be).
ProfessorDemetri

If you lock the entire game, how would you be able to get out of it?
Or is the lock on a timer, and when it timer reaches 0 the chest message disappears, and Demo can move again?
I like that idea. lol

Dior:
I think having one room would be ideal.
It would cut down on sublevels needed, we'd have a unifying tile set, and everything would look just fine. And the chest would work just fine too. I don't see this as a problem.
Last edited by ProfessorDemetri 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:What we need to do is make something that works, and then figure out what we can do to make it LOOK good later.

If it'll come down to using transparent blocks, then so be it. Atleast we'll have a chest that displays treasure, and is a fun little thing exclusive to A2MT.

And honestly? I don't like the idea of the black strip appearing over Demo in the first place. From the video you linked me, and poking around on the youtube related videos, I'd RATHER it be above Demo, instead of appearing inside her. Kinda like a Message Box message, only with a piece of treasure in it.
Did you watch that video? The black strip appears under the player, not over. Also I just noticed, that video actually does show the sprites locked glitch as I'm able to kick a red shell.

Kil you are a genius, too bad I never thought of that all these months.

ProfessorDemetri

I meant the relative position of the box on the screen, not nessicarily Demo. Sorry for the confusion lol

And see what happens when we all discuss? We find solutions. We help each other.
This community, at the heart, is really awesome. :D
It's one of the reasons that I'm here as opposed to SMWC.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Hey wait is the problem that demo appears in front of the text and stuff? Isn't it because you have to mess around with the screen/subscreen settings (and restore them when the chest is finished)

$7E:0D9D 1 byte Hardware mirror Main Screen setting of current level mode (000abcde - a = Object layer; b = Layer 4; c = Layer 3; d = Layer 2; e = Layer 1). Appears as TM in Lunar Magic. Mirror of SNES register $212C, transfer only occurs on level load.
$7E:0D9E 1 byte Hardware mirror Sub Screen setting of current level mode (000abcde - a = Object layer; b = Layer 4; c = Layer 3; d = Layer 2; e = Layer 1). Appears as TD in Lunar Magic. Mirror of SNES register $212D, transfer only occurs on level load.

basically mess around until the HDMA and the layer 3 text is in front of the sprites
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

kil3 wrote:Hey wait is the problem that demo appears in front of the text and stuff? Isn't it because you have to mess around with the screen/subscreen settings (and restore them when the chest is finished)

$7E:0D9D 1 byte Hardware mirror Main Screen setting of current level mode (000abcde - a = Object layer; b = Layer 4; c = Layer 3; d = Layer 2; e = Layer 1). Appears as TM in Lunar Magic. Mirror of SNES register $212C, transfer only occurs on level load.
$7E:0D9E 1 byte Hardware mirror Sub Screen setting of current level mode (000abcde - a = Object layer; b = Layer 4; c = Layer 3; d = Layer 2; e = Layer 1). Appears as TD in Lunar Magic. Mirror of SNES register $212D, transfer only occurs on level load.

basically mess around until the HDMA and the layer 3 text is in front of the sprites
That's not a problem at all. If I wanted it to appear in front of Demo that would be easy enough. Although, that isn't really good because then I have to make it work so that the sprite image for the treasure somehow also isn't behind the HDMA, which is annoying as hell to do. The problem is.. blakneghaeoignaeogna089tha give me some time and I'll just dig up enough files to record it again myself.

edit: Meh, I'll reexplain it again. The 'treasure' item sprite sometimes does not always appear in the right place on the message. This changes depending on where the chest is on the screen related to the screen position when it's opened. Basically, the treasure for some reason doesn't always appears the set amount of pixels I set it to appear relative to the screen boundary, and sometimes doesn't appear on screen at all (but through testing I did find it off screen elsewhere, since the screen is really two screens long horizontally.)

it could be possible to manipulate the teleporter
Teleporter? What is this?

ProfessorDemetri

So when I say above Demo, I mean like in the upper portion of the screen, not layered infront of Demo.
Like literally, how a message box appears. Higher then Demo, in the screen, not infront of her.
I think that would look better also.
Eehmm... yeah... So then, who's actively working on the chest then? Dior? lol :lol:

Teleporter, for the one room that the treasure is in?
Remember? You suggested that that we didn't need sublevels, so much as a teleporter that would read where you came from, but the correct chest stuff in, and then send you elsewhere.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:So when I say above Demo, I mean like in the upper portion of the screen, not layered infront of Demo.
Like literally, how a message box appears. Higher then Demo, in the screen, not infront of her.
I think that would look better also.
Eehmm... yeah... So then, who's actively working on the chest then? Dior? lol :lol:

Teleporter, for the one room that the treasure is in?
Remember? You suggested that that we didn't need sublevels, so much as a teleporter that would read where you came from, but the correct chest stuff in, and then send you elsewhere.
Um, the message box spawns the message in a set position on the screen, not above Demo.

We don't need multiple sublevels, we need one sublevel to place one treasure chest sprite in. The rest of your sentences I don't quite understand.

The treasure chest can read what Overworld level you entered in the first place, no need for some special teleporter or whatever. The chest also seperates that by the 3 save files.

ProfessorDemetri

Chdata:
Neato, so the chest is fine in a room by itself. It can read what OW level it's in, and show the according prize.
Okay.
So how does that work out for each level..
For example, I'll use my level as one.

Saying we're using one sublevel for the chest room, let's say an example of that would be using sublevel xxx
So my main level starts on 1B, and I do have a chest there.
So saying I replace my chest on 1B, with a door to level XXX, then how do I get out of this universal chest room (XXX), BACK to level 1B?
You see what I'm sayin'? That's why I thought we'd need seperate sublevels per level. Just for the exit alone. But if there's a teleporter, that does something similiar to the chest, and reads what OW level you came from, and sends you back to it, then it shouldn't be a problem. We'd just need to then use like secondary entrances or something...
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Chdata:
Neato, so the chest is fine in a room by itself. It can read what OW level it's in, and show the according prize.
Okay.
So how does that work out for each level..
For example, I'll use my level as one.

Saying we're using one sublevel for the chest room, let's say an example of that would be using sublevel xxx
So my main level starts on 1B, and I do have a chest there.
So saying I replace my chest on 1B, with a door to level XXX, then how do I get out of this universal chest room (XXX), BACK to level 1B?
You see what I'm sayin'? That's why I thought we'd need seperate sublevels per level. Just for the exit alone. But if there's a teleporter, that does something similiar to the chest, and reads what OW level you came from, and sends you back to it, then it shouldn't be a problem. We'd just need to then use like secondary entrances or something...
You would use a custom block that mimics doors and can send you back. I know it's possible and am sure I saw something like that in the past. Otherwise, it could just send you back to the OW and have you re enter, or send you back to the first level.

ProfessorDemetri

Aaaaah, but sending the player back to the beginning of the level might be a jerk move, thinking that some parts might be hard to get through, it would be needed to be played through again.
So I'd hope that we could do a block that minics the door, like you said, to just send you back to the destination that you entered from...
:ugeek:
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I forget how secondary exits work, can't you just send them back that way?