(shouting)

What are we even doing?

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: What are we even doing?

Post by raocow »

You'd probably do a better job 'dredging' a level that actually interests you, so if you're not working on a level for yourself right now, go crazy.

Just make sure to mention the original author's name so it can be properly dual credited.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

I guess I should finish the one I'm working on, first, then, right? lol :lol:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Chdata

Re: What the frick Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I can't find anything of use on my current computer, but sometime in a few days or next week or something I'm back at my mom's apartment, I might have better luck finding stuff there.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

If you have sent them to people before, shouldn't it be accessible through whatever pm or whatever you originaly used? Or would it be already deleated?
Chdata

Re: What the Chdata

Post by Chdata »

It's alot to look through, I've been looking at my SMWC pms first.

I'm fairly sure it's finished, considering this video.

edit: Oh wait, I read my description. OH LOOK MORE STUFF I PROMISED AND DIDN'T DO THAT I PROBABLY WON'T DO.

A friend of mine's tried convincing me to come back and help you guys and save they day.

Person: Can't you go back and work on something new or different?
Me: I'm a plastic surgeon and am rearranging someone's face and quit in the middle of it. Now his face is messed up. Do I go back to him and ask "Hey can I work on something else? Perhaps your hand or something?"
No, I'd have to fix his face.
Person: there are more doctor persons..
Me: Yes, but it's highly unlikely for one to appear who can pick up from the middle of what I did to his face.

Just like SNN said. (This stuff was said before I read SNN's post about deadlocking the community.)

P: But still.. You are all a big vehicle.. you are a important weel. and there are some smaller weels.. If you leave.. the smaller weels will still roll..
Me: I acknowledge someone might be able to come in and pick things up with the programming
However the chances of someone being able to pick up what I left off are slim.
And yes, they're still rolling, unguided into a ditch
P: Besides... You can still get repaired onto the vehicle... what's stopping you from doing that?
Me: I've forgotten too much from where I left off, I remember already spending a ton of time trying to fix one of the things only to find it impossible in any practical way and figure it would be dumb to try that again when I've unlearned alot of it, since I have a new computer most of my files are lost anyways..

When I left you guys, I starting giving small hints that I'd be gone with my signature and posts, I did start uploading things but I guess I didn't make it too clear or noticeable, I also tried telling people they shouldn't bother with the chests until something is guaranteed for real.

I was hoping to cushion you guys at least something from when I leave. Didn't work. Too late now.

Example: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1192&start=175#p101410

Daxterspeed: It seems we're "fine" on the ASM part

What

edit: The file in my signature. (If you read it once, read it again because I put in replies this time.)

Sorry for my lapse in behavior the past few whatever. Feel too bad right now to look through piles of PMs. If anything I'll try and get the yoshi coin thing again.

Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Chdata, you shouldn't be that hard on yourself.~ You had the best intentions, and reading through that prop thread I do understand what you were making clear. We shouldn't get too overzealous with ideas that aren't in a proper stable state. I'm only tagging along with the project for a few weeks now, but I agree Prof. Demetri that it's our fault, not just yours.

Reading it back now gives me some sort of idea what it the chest is going to do, but it still requires a proper specification to be able to code it. You have my support, and in case you wonder whether I qualify as an asm hacker all the proof I can show here is a translation hack of custom variable width text & (de)compressed graphics of a game who's mascot got replaced in the US/Eurozone by a freakin' horse. ;) I leave it to you to decide if that suffices. So, in short I'm saying it's never too late fix things, when given a chance.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I didn't make things clear enough however. I only posted that one thing in the props thread even though I knew that noone really even reads that thread (another small problem with some of you, especially the other top people.)

Dio, have you ever programmed anything in SMW? Compressing and decompressing graphics in a rom does seem pretty impressive, I'd probably have a hard time doing that, but alot of things are specific to a certain game. Either way, if I find it again, I plan to just upload the code for the chests for anyone now if I can find it.

Money

Post by Money »

Chdata, don't go so hard on yourself. You aren't "The disgrace of A2MT". Pretty much everyone got behind on their A2MT stuff, that's what this big movement to get things back going is about. You are far from the only person that was at fault.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

chdata wrote: Dio, have you ever programmed anything in SMW? Compressing and decompressing graphics in a rom does seem pretty impressive, I'd probably have a hard time doing that, but alot of things are specific to a certain game. Either way, if I find it again, I plan to just upload the code for the chests for anyone now if I can find it.
Well, that did take me some time, as in a few weeks (btw. that game's decompression algo is like a swiss army knife, it wasn't like any other snes game I looked up on the net), but enough of that.

I'll be honest that this project is the first time I dived into all of SMW's code, for creating custom sprites, changing Layer 3 properties, and a few things more. But in doing so quite few mechanics about the game's have become clear to me. Like you, I cannot guarantee that everything can be done, but if the deadline is not in a few weeks time I'm sure something good come from it. Naturally, anyone else who feels (s)he is up to it could do it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

raocow wrote:If you have sent them to people before, shouldn't it be accessible through whatever pm or whatever you originaly used? Or would it be already deleated?
The file was deleted I guess because it was too old.
ProfessorDemetri

I am so overly frustrated at this entire topic right now, I just want to start swearing...
You don't have to read this, but if you want to understand what one of the members of this project is feeling, and want to discuss it, so that we can move forward, I'd appreciate it.
Okay so the opening to this thread was, basically, when brought down to a straight forward level, is that we don't, currently, have a figure head to the game/project. Which is true. But then the only person that was suggest as a figure head was Daxter? I like Daxter, you're cool bro, really, and you put effort into things, but you wouldn't be a good director either, because, like all the other management, you've disappeared for like... the last month. Other then this thread, I haven't seen you around the Testing and Dev, music, anywhere. And maybe that's just me, but when I'm literally in the Testing thread like.. once a day, and a suggested manager isn't, that means they shouldn't manager.

So, great, we're back to square one, and the suggestion that I had? That we didn't need ONE singular figure head, that we needed many, because this project is too big for one person. That we needed people that would know what they were doing in their own niches. Graphics, music, asm, levels, inserting, whatever. And the suggestion was almost completely ignored... Okay, so when we see a problem, why aren't we actively finding a solution?
And then the thread took a weird turn as to basically shoot down the momentum we've built for the last... few FREAKIN' MONTHS! DAMN IT GUYS! If the new members to the team would take the time and go through and READ this topic, you think they'd want to continue with us? You think they'd feel comfortable with giving ideas and suggestions? I thought this project was going to be about making an awesome game, not, HERR DURR I WANTS MANAGEMENT. And HERR DURR, I LIKE TO POINT OUT PROBLEMS WITHOUT GIVING A SOLUTION.

And now, honestly. What the fuck chdata?
Are you coming back to whine and moan about how you fucked up, or are you coming back to help? I don't get the point in whining and feeling sorry for yourself. Granted, you're funny, and really smart, I mean I'm subbed to your youtube, and you've made amazing things. But it seems like you're only in this topic to try to explain your actions and go "Woe is me, look at everyone that hates me.". The neato part about being an adult is that you don't need to explain your actions if you don't want too, to anybody but yourself. (And I'm not being condesending, I, myself, just learned this like last year lol). No one hates you, but these weird, passive aggressive posts that are basically a indirect form of self hatred is not doing anything positive for this project.

And I realize that alot of things were put onto your shoulders, and that I didn't agree with that work load even early on. But guess what? When we're talking about management, we're not just talking about you. Specifically, I'm talking about you, tails, FoD, YCZ, Dax, and mainly most of the other blues save for Lime and like wyatt lol. It's not just you, so making it out to seem like we're just talking about you, is completely false, and not in step with reality.
With that all being said...
Here are a few solutions that I think might be helpful.

-Delegate certain tasks to certain people. And maybe get people to help Lime, because with the amount that he's doing, I'm afraid he'll go the same way as his predecessors. We need more then just 2 active mods in this. If need be, make some more people with specific duties.

-Clean up the threads, for the love of jeez. Put like topics into one topc. Requests and general talking about it, can go into help threads. You don't need seperate topics for requests, help, and discussion. That can be all in one topic.

-Keep up with the deadlines, and don't be afraid to kick people that do not report in time. Like raocow said, we're trimming the fat, guys. And even that, if we could get people updating just something small, once a week, that would be fantastic.

-I'm currently putting together a thread, kinda like that old one from before, The Fridge door, showing cool things that are currently in this project, screens, level shots, music, whatever, to motivate the people that are here now, and get the creative juices flowing, also to invoke a sense of accomplishment. I think this will be helpful. Don't worry about setting it up mods, I'll be doing this either tonight, or when I get home from work.

-Look in different avenues for ASM help. Maybe the creators of different hacks could come and lend a hand, helping us out? I don't think they'd mind terribly, if they're still into SMW hacking, or hacking in general.

-Get that music thread going again. We do need to have a talk about music, as the music slots are being taken up quickly. We need to decide what music the 'Talkhaus' is going to be using as general music for ghost houses, castles, plains, whatever. Are we going to be voting for this?

-Start voting on things. We need to make clear and concise decisions about what we're using where. Mainly graphics and music. Open a voting thread, and propose one item per month. And raocow, you could help out by making a short update video, saying that we've started voting (whenever we'll start this), and that the members that are working on this, should come in to vote.

...those are all that I can think of right now off the top of my head.
Like I've said in the past, I'd be more then willing to help with all of this.
Honestly, I work graveyard shifts, so for like 6 hours out of my 8 hour shift, nothing happens. I can literally set up a ton of stuff here, or help out other ways, by getting in contact with our over seas friends, or whatever.

We can do this, we just need to keep at it.
Let's keep the downer threads unstickied, yeah?
It just kills morale...

Thanks for listening. I'm sorry I got frustrated. :oops:
raocow

Post by raocow »

Is it really necessary to vote for 'generic music' when the majority of the people are finding music just for their level?

And don't we have, like, for the most part, the graphics kind of figured out, and what we have left are things where we don't really have any good propositions?

The reason why only want ONE person doing the insertions and whatnot is to prevent confusion and mix-ups. Having more than one person can easily start to create 'version conflicts' and can potentialy turn into a mess.

Gotta agree that I kind of wished the more vocal 'oh man you gots problem' peeps would actually offer solutions other than just that.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

yoshi coin stuff, use with Objectool
The graphics I made are probably lost.

edit: Yeah I know management is another big problem. It's partially why I left since I was pessimistic of us getting a solid leader.

I'm only back here thanks to limepie pming me on youtube.

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Thanks, chdata.

I think that ProfessorDemetri would be a good leader (there's really no one here who has kept up with a2mt from the very beginning so we really shouldn't be thinking about that).
ProfessorDemetri

raocow, I don't mean literally like 3 people inserting, I literally mean one person inserting, and maybe another person being in charge of ASM, and another person being the head of the Music department, and another person being in charge of the graphics, and so on and so forth.

I wouldn't mind being the lead, I'd definately try my best. But my knowledge of ASM, and other complicated SMW hacking is very limited. But I guess I could just deligate that out to people that knew.
And granted that I have alot of time to be here, and go around in the forums and what not, also to be making resources or levels or whatever.
Might be an idea.
I'd need help though. And that's where all those other people would come in. Especially for ASM and Music lol.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

We have a lead for music (Wyatt) and a lead for graphics (Terry). When I say lead I don't mean that. I mean someone who knows what's going on in the project, makes decisions, motivates people, keeps this place organized, etc.
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

Putting my 2 cents in:

I know that its been about 1 - 1.5 months that I have tried to be more actively engaged with this project so my knowledge of everything isn't as great as others but I do think ProfessorDemetri would make an outstanding leader. I don't think you'd really find something that is suited to be leader but you'll find something who can grow into that role and ProfessorDemetri defintely (in my opinion) fits that criteria. I think part of the issue is that one of our most active project coordinators is also the guy that can't touch any levels because he is going to play them blind later (obviously, raocow). I haven't really followed much on ASMWCP2 (or whatever its called now) but I'm sure SNN is able to take a more active role in how the levels are shaping up. If there is ever an A3MT, it may be ideal for raocow to help coordinate level design & progress (if he has the time & knowledge of course). Also, it's got to be toned down some ASM wise. Part of me hopes that either the Talkhaus or SMWC (or hell, a joint collab between the two sites) one day decides 'HEY! A COLLAB VANILLA HACK WOULD BE AWESOME!' but someday I guess.

As for me, if there is any role that I can take to help out others moreso, I am willing to do it. I don't need a fancy title or color. I just would love to get this project rolling, whether its answering questions or helping with level testing more. I just would love some direction on how I can help further.

Part of me wonders whether people are intimidated by the project. People get the impression (myself including initially) that raocow loves those crazy Super-ASM heavy, EXGFX-mad levels. And raocow did mention it in either the early part of VIP5 or the end of Something but maybe it should be stressed differently. Also, has someone considered making a teaser trailer of already in place A2MT levels. It might help pull people in and show the diversity of the levels. Obviously, it'll have to be a non-raocow. There are some good 'vanilla' stuff in there and some stuff that is anything but 'vanilla'.

ASM: I can't talk about ASM that well. I know theres 3 thing going on - Parrot Coins, which I think look to be about done, the chests (?), and the Demo Suits (which hasn't been mentioned much). In the long run, I don't think they matter that much so we should decide, 'Incorporate or no"

Plot: I kind of agree with raocow about this. ASMWCP's plot was perfect in my opinion - it was there but it wasn't overwhelming there. You could skip cutscenes and I think A2MT's plot should be after this. To be honest, all I remember about ASMT's plot was 'DEMO TRANSPORTED INTO A LAND OF CHARLIES WHO STOLE HER TELEPORTER AND THERE ARE YOSHIS THAT HATE CHARLIE TOO'. And most of that I remember because I recently watched PinkKittyRose's LP of ASMT.

OldLevells: I can go through the entire testing thread this weekend and dredge up a list of old level IPSes (let me know if I should/shouldn't). I like the idea and it may involve some MAP16/level trickery but I think there are some great ideas that time lost.

Ok, now lets all put our hands in the center of the circle and on 3, A2MT.
1 2 3 A2MT!!!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Okay if you actually do go back and find a bunch of levels, it may be a good idea to ask the people who made them if they want to pick it up again and finish it first.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Limepie has a point, but yeah, otherwise I'd be totally stoked about the dredge project, and if you would actually do that legwork.

Tomorrow I'll be making the new video with the new deadline, I'll give a word out about the 'dredge project', in case an oldschooler gets wind of it.

edit - also, the problem with the current vanilla submissions, I think, is that they get declined because they are not focused enough. You can totally have a 'focused' level using vanilla, as I make a point of pointing out all the time. Namely, almost every later vip vanilla level ever. But... it's like peeps hear that, panic, and decide to quit instead.
keckcellent

Post by keckcellent »

What I planned on doing was dredging through the archives, creating a list of links in its own seperate thread, playing through each IPS briefly to get a sense of what its about, snapping a screenshot, contacting the user (through their talkhaus account unless I know that they're an SMWC user that occasionally frequents this site - it'll be an SMWC PM in that case), and updating a thread list as each user gives permission. I just ended a job and started a new, more full-time job and my car just died so I have been quite busy this week and won't be able to begin this list until at least Friday night but unless something terrible happens, I'll be done by Sunday night at the latest (ideally Saturday night).

Also, I understand the point about vanilla levels. I feel confident about my abilities to create a 'focused' vanilla level so I guess thats why I brought it up. I have seen a # of unfocused chocolate levels too.

EDIT: Nevermind - I sent one to myself. SMWC's PM system is fixed
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

That sounds like an awesome plan. Good luck.
ProfessorDemetri

Okay guys.
I've been thinking about this the entire day, and if it's okay with the rest of the people directly involved, then I'd be more then happy to take on the mantle of general manager or whatever we're calling it?

And yeah, Lime, that's what I thought you meant too. Basically someone that keeps things organized, and keeps a clear, direct path on what we're doing.

Let me know if the other people agree, or whatever. I'd need my forum privelages changed so I can keep the thread organized and the like. Along with me getting something on the wiki also.

Keck, if you could do that, yeah, I was thinking of doing the same thing.. lol Maybe making a thread with them in it, and a general summary of what it is, and yeah, like you said, a screen shot would be awesome!

When everything is okay with me taking on the role, I'll be sending out some notices to some people to see what the general status about a few things are.

With everyone working together, I think we can get this done. :)
1, 2, 3, A2MT! :D
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

chdata wrote:yoshi coin stuff, use with Objectool
The graphics I made are probably lost.
I got the coin asm, and will look into it. It doesn't look too complicated. All the files are almost identical. Although, your Top5Coin part is missing some code section to erase the bottom. I guess a copy/paste mistake...

Don't you even have some patched rom you used for testing vid like the ones on youtube? If so, it is still possible to extract the gfx from them.

1, 2, 3, A2MT! XD
ProfessorDemetri

So Doir...
About the coins lol
We were talking about them over in the GFX thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1217&start=1475
Could you implement either of those to work?
And hows the coins going btw? Are they still something we should be concerned about or something that's totally plausible?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Here's the message I sent Chibbiko 12 Jun 2011.
chdata wrote:I feel absolutely horrible having to drop my work onto other people now.
This is something I feel has high priority to get fixed.

The whole thing is basically already set-up how I want it, but there is a glitch I've had forever with drawing the gfx for the collected item. Sometimes it doesn't seem to understand the screen boundary correctly and doesn't appear on the spot I designated for it, and this can sometimes depend on the treasure's position when you open it.

As for the below, it's stuff.

I don't know what to say about the bosses I said I'd work on...

ASMT's patches I figure we'd just need a solid list of what is needed and someone to test all of them together.

The costume blocks I don't know if we're going through with. At least I'm probably not.

If you have any questions (especially because I'm not giving much information about my stuff) be sure to ask. I'm p sure we're using the $13BF version and the other one you see is probably one for if someone wanted a chest in every sublevel.

Fakedit: Augh there's patches that have to work with that... my computer with all my ASM and my SMW hacking past is dying (Windows XP :c ). I've been transfering stuff although I can't find anything anymore. I've forgotten where anything is and what I have where.

You can try asking any other blue for the compilation patch as I sent it around once to all of them.
Attachments
Treasure Chest ASMT.rar
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 88 times