(shouting)

What are we even doing?

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
keckcellent

Re: What are we even doing?

Post by keckcellent »

Briefly shifting subjects back to the level dredge:

I started to go through the level list and made it to Page 12 before I decided to get some sleep. I plan on only using the most recent update for a level (unless there is a significant deviation).

Here's what it'll look like (with some blatant self-promotion)

Image Image
Level: Smog-filled Skies
Level#: 12F
Original LD: keckcellent
Its a pretty vanilla level where you navigate on clouds made to look like smog. Blarggs live in the smog. A sublevel exists where you ride a skull raft on toxic pollution.
Claimed by: DoomSled8675309. Don't forget to signup officially in the Signup & Reservations thread.

(I actually chose this level as my example because of a somewhat recent comment in the signup thread saying you can't make a polluted vanilla level)

When writing the formal Level Submissions readme, they need to make a note that this is a recovered level and list the original author as well. If they can collaborate with the other author on resources that he/she used, that'll also be great for proper creditation. Anything else I should note or mention when I writeup this thread?

Anyway, I'm glad to see some progress on the chest. I'm sure a number of posts have been made about it since my writeup.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

guy wrote:And see what happens when we all discuss? We find solutions. We help each other.
This community, at the heart, is really awesome.
It's one of the reasons that I'm here as opposed to SMWC.

Also I've tried months ago to get people to 'work as a team' to help me fix stuff and even asked for out of team help from SMWC and nothing happened, which is also part of why I gave up on it. Thanks you guys now I hate what I've done to this project and thinking about it depresses me. I can barely stand posting here any more, you're lucky I'm doing this. I can't even watch raocow anymore.

I find the SMWC commnity better imo. Talkhaus is 3-4 communities. Raocowfans/LPers from the let's play forum, Artists/art appreciators, trolls, and the collaborators who are mostly a mess right now with the whole management deal and overambitious people.

SMWC is also about 3 communities. The hackers/programmers and then people who mostly post in the world of insanity. There's also people who post in those other threads like hobbies/games/anime or whatever.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Chdata, I hope you're being sarcastic... I wasn't being sarcastic.
Why do you hate what you've done? You made the basis of what we're going to be ending up using for the chests, and other ASM that was great. You did nothing wrong with anything. The game will still be completed.
It just sounds like you're depressed because you don't want to be here anymore... Not about the project.

I'm lucky? I'M LUCKY?
....Wow. And right here, I'm tapping out of this conversation for awhile......
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I got everyone's hopes up into thinking the chests would be part of A2MT, A2MT started to get built as if they were definately in the game, it got to the point where A2MT would be fairly messed up if the chests didn't get finished, I didn't finish them. Even with putting it up now, there's still the matter of someone finishing the chests which are still not done.

Not to mention all the patches, there's alot of loose ends with those. I don't even know what's in the game, what needs to go into the game, or what.

I'm not happy till things actually get fixed.

ProfessorDemetri

I don't even care about that anymore.
I care about this passive aggressive bullshit that you've been pulling for the past few days. You come back, and make it out as if the members of this project, some how, have made you depressed, SO depressed that you refuse to even watch raocow anymore?
That's not our fault at all. That's yours.
chdata wrote:Also I've tried months ago to get people to 'work as a team' to help me fix stuff and even asked for out of team help from SMWC and nothing happened, which is also part of why I gave up on it. Thanks you guys now I hate what I've done to this project and thinking about it depresses me. I can barely stand posting here any more, you're lucky I'm doing this. I can't even watch raocow anymore.
Okay, so you asked for help, and no one responded. You could have sent PMs, here and at SMW. And because you didn't get help, you gave up? PFT. It seems to me that you wanted to give up, and this is the excuse.
And then thanks to us? What did we do? We discussed how we could likely move forward and get this finished. And appearently, that made you hate your contributions to this project? And even thinking about it depresses you? Why does it depress you? And if it does, do something that makes it so that thinking about doesn't depress you.
And then you have the audacity to say that I'm lucky you're even posting here? Uh, if I have to continually contend with your depression, then I'm not lucky at all... It's like I'm talking to a child that blames others for their own feelings...
Sorry bro, but we're not to blame for your depression. You're letting yourself be depressed, because you don't know where else to go from here...

And at this point, I'm expecting a suspension for me being honest here, and frustrated, but.. I mean, I don't even care. Because I guess, I'm the only one that's willing to say this.
If you're always going to be depressed, then maybe you shouldn't be here...
ProfessorDemetri

I'd also just like to point out that the people currently working on this project are awesome.
They go above and beyond what is required of them. They put countless hours into something they don't even need to do. But they do it because they love it, and believe in the project as a whole.
I mean, take Dior and Keck for example. They just got into this project like a few weeks ago, Dior is volunteering to do the code for the chest, or atleast work on it, and the coins, and keck is dredging up all these old levels.
Even me. I mean shit, I started off as a complete noob with SMW hacking, and here I am, saying I'd like to be the go to guy for this project.
Man, it's like...
Nothing is appreciated.
I'm freakin' beside myself right now.. :|
I don't even.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Honestly chdata your martyr complex is getting pretty annoying.You say you've asked for help before but I don't recall you ever being so... open, about it. It's the way you communicate. And Dem kind of has a point - first you do a solution that works, even if it's not perfect, so it's something we as a group can use. THEN we work out the kinks so it looks better. With that sort of backwards perfectionism no wonder you burnt out.

I know I may sound rough here but that sort of self-pity really grates on my nerve after a while, especially after a few of us, including myself, told you it wasn't something to get all stressed about.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Is the code for the chests up somewhere? There's no reason you would have to put them in a chest room. That would be too intrusive anyway. Worst case scenario, just get rid of the image and just have the description of the treasure, but I don't think it'll come to that anyway. There's no reason displaying a sprite to a fixed location on the screen should be so error prone.
ProfessorDemetri

Kil, yeah, I think they're like a page back or something...
er, never mind, I've backed 'em up.
here.
Attachments
The Backup Patch.rar
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Treasure Chest ASMT.rar
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Chdata posted the code back on page 4.

I'm gonna look at all these patches tonight and see what works what doesn't etc stuff.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Code: Select all

.HDMA_Ready			;
	LDA #$E8		;
	STA $0300,y		;Xpos
	LDA #$66		;
	STA $0301,y		;Ypos
	LDA #$44		;
	STA $0302,y		;Tile
	REP #$10		;16bit XY
	LDX $010B		;
	;LDA #$30		;YXPPCCCT Data
	;ORA CCC,x		;CCC Data
	LDA CCC,x		;
	SEP #$10		;8bit XY
	BRA .StoreYXPPCCCT	;End the second tile's routine
Nothing seems wrong about this so I'd have to have a rom where the chest breaks and play it in bsnes debugger to figure out why it's not working.
ProfessorDemetri

If I knew more about ASM, I'd try to help, but I have no idea.
That code might as well be in japanese... I can't read it... and make sense of it lol
But I guess the original problem was, was that the message block wouldn't appear in certain instances, or rather, it would be blank.

But like we were talking about before, that would be solved if it opened up in the same spot in one room. A treasure room.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

kil3 wrote:

Code: Select all

.HDMA_Ready			;
	LDA #$E8		;
	STA $0300,y		;Xpos
	LDA #$66		;
	STA $0301,y		;Ypos
	LDA #$44		;
	STA $0302,y		;Tile
	REP #$10		;16bit XY
	LDX $010B		;
	;LDA #$30		;YXPPCCCT Data
	;ORA CCC,x		;CCC Data
	LDA CCC,x		;
	SEP #$10		;8bit XY
	BRA .StoreYXPPCCCT	;End the second tile's routine
Nothing seems wrong about this so I'd have to have a rom where the chest breaks and play it in bsnes debugger to figure out why it's not working.
The xpos seems to get messed up no matter what I try.

Now for more me being a jerk:
Could have sent PMs to who? The only people from Talkhaus who could've helped were Kil, Chibikko, and Crushawake. Kil quit until now, Chibikko is fairly inactive and hasn't really responded to me lately, and I don't even know where Crusha is anymore. I went to SMWC's irc (other than Tails I don't know anyone who frequented #serioushax at the time, so obviously noone had any clue I was there) since there's tons more of ASMers who could've helped and a few that I know are reliable, but that didn't help.

(Incase you don't know, IRC is a type of real time chat and more reliable than PMing people.)

And no I'm not really blaming you guys for my poor attitude, I think I've already acknowledged somewhere that it's all my fault.

Right now I'm worried A2MT won't get finished because of basically the stuff SNN said, my lack of involvement could deadlock A2MT ASM-wise, if that happens then it will have entirely been my fault. I guess it hasn't really happened YET but even thinking that it will worries me. Then I'll really have let down (even more than now) raocow, his 10k subs, anyone else who thought A2MT would be finished, the few people who expect me to make amazing things, and the rest of the collabers.

repost:
I got everyone's hopes up into thinking the chests would be part of A2MT, A2MT started to get built as if they were definately in the game, it got to the point where A2MT would be fairly messed up if the chests didn't get finished, I didn't finish them.

Whenever I think of ASMT I get bad thoughts right now, and anything raocow only makes me think of ASMT.

extra:
No offence, but to be honest the best leaders are mindless and robotic in their posts, straightforward and business only. Sort of like limepie.
And yes, I shouldn't be here. I'm only posting because I was sent a pm on youtube, and now that my code stuff is out here, I'll get out of your hair.

ProfessorDemetri

chdata wrote: And yes, I shouldn't be here. I'm only posting because I was sent a pm on youtube, and now that my code stuff is out here, I'll get out of your hair.
Welp, thanks for coming back and giving us those patches.
They will be really helpful. Not sarcastic.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Ok the other way to fix the sprite thing is just by hardcoding an OAM slot for it to use, which is how I dealt with Rumia's health bar.

http://www.smwiki.net/wiki/OAM_map

Instead of using $300,y, don't use "y" (y, which is an offset to an OAM slot GET_DRAW_INFO gave you earlier, is something you don't need if you're hardcoding the OAM slot to use) just use something from the OAM MAP like $200 $201 $202 and $203 when the treasure is drawn. There's never going to be more than one on screen at a time so it shouldn't conflict with anything.

Although when you write directly to the oam you don't use the "JSL $01B7B3 ;Draw the tiles" function. You just manually put those 4 8x8 tiles that make up the sprite in a little square over at the specified spot. It's not elegant but at least it works.
Last edited by kil3 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

chdata - all I'm asking is that you stop talking about it. Just let it go. Talk about anything, about what has to be done, what has to be fixed, rejoin anytime you like, I don't care; just stop talking about the past already. It doesn't matter anymore.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

About the chests
Kil3, you got something going there, that's good. ^_^ Are you going to undertake the challenge of the chest? Cause having two people work on it, could lead to conflicts.

I was looking at the code and was thinking of a different strategy to avoid most of the glitches. Namely, imitating the message box as much as possible. I.e. use a new index for the trigger at $7E:1426 and JSL'ing from the regular message routine to the custom show message, that Chdata made, if the ID has the new value. This is still just an idea as I haven't worked it out yet.

I think Nintendo made it on purpose that the message box sprite only sets a trigger for the message so the text generation/layer 3/locking/button confirmation sequence to be handled _separately_ from the sprites. All the said functionality already present, so rather than reinventing the wheel I'd rather reuse as much as possible. This simplifies the chest to a mere message box with gravity.

Of course, if you can fix it like it is, that's also swell! :)

About the coins
What should the essential specification be? They're not hard, but still require work. This is what I got so far from most of the threads:
- Behave like normal Yoshi/Dragon Coins in SMW
- Collectable only once (also see last item)
- Show an outline (or something like it) when the stage is reentered (or immediately if the coin is collected?)
- $7F:9CA0 should become #$01 when all coins in the game are collected (= current implementation, but that means that after game reset the flag can never be triggered again...)
- When all coins are collected a flag is written to SRAM during a convential save game moment (so only when all 5 are collected it can be persisted in SRAM)
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Diortem wrote:imitating the message box as much as possible
imo that's what should have been done from the beginning and I suggested that a long time ago. I think chdata got burned out because he made things more complicated for himself than they had to be. The chest should have essentially been a message box that uses a bit of SRAM and prints one sprite.
Are you going to undertake the challenge of the chest? Cause having two people work on it, could lead to conflicts.
I didn't plan on it. I'm hoping someone else does because I'm not really setup to get back into smw romhacking stuff anymore.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

kil3 wrote:I didn't plan on it. I'm hoping someone else does because I'm not really setup to get back into smw romhacking stuff anymore.
Ok, that's a clear answer. No one else volunteering..? Then I'll try to work on it. Seeing that you do have good knowledge of the necessary ASM, would you mind to bump into the forum and read some of the posts in case I run into silly things? Others can reply too of course. ;)
raocow

Post by raocow »

aren't those yoshi coins supposed to be working like we wanted by now?

Basically, they are designed so you only have to collect them once. Once you get a dragon coin, it stays collected even if it's the only one you collect, if you die, if you complete the level, whatever. They are made so you can collect them at your pace, without having to worry about dying, and without having to worry about getting them all in one shot. The 'phantom' dragon coin that is left is so, basically, you can try and collect it again for fun or whatever, though instead it would probably just give you a coin or something. It'd be nice if it still kept the 'get all five in one shot to get a free life' bonus, though.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Just so you know, I've changed some colours around. I've removed the blue from ycz, tails and chdata, brought FoD back down to a normal blue, added Demitri as a blue, and put limepie up as a cyan. Considering Demitri is trying for 'main manager', I'm giving him a shot as a blue, and if things work out great I'll boost you up to cyan.

Basically, since we're doing some clean up here, I figured I'd continue the cleaning up here too.

No offense meant FoD, but you're basically 'lead tester', which is great, you do a great job, you're just not really a manager at all, haha. That was an original mistake on my end!
Money

Post by Money »

I think you have to take limepie out of the regular collaborators for him to turn cyan, cuz he isn't currently
ProfessorDemetri

Thanks Rao.
After I do the play tests that I said I was going to be doing, I'm going to be reorganizing the threads abit... condensing, and the like, blah blah blah.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

Then I guess I'd like to get demoted. All I do is remove some spam and answer some complex cms/wiki related question from now and then (well I did make this thread, but not because I'm a capable leader).
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Ok, I see, but I'm not sure the coins work entirely (at least the asm of the #5 coin doesn't match the others, which doesn't make any sense). Adding the 1-up sequence doesn't sound like issue, but I'd rather focus on the chest right now.

I'm making progress on showing the message box and text, but showing the 16x16 image makes things more complicated. This can be done, to my knowledge, by either:

-Lowering the drawing/masking priority of the Layer 3 message. That means that any sprite will appear over the message. This is how the switch palace message works, but since the room is empty no sprite can overlap with those messages. That looks rather ugly, especially if this needs to work in any situation.

-Customizing the native HDMA routines to leave a fixed 16x16 tile open (as in not black), and fill it with the image using a black background rather than transparent so it fills up the gap. This would require proper timing and more work.