(shouting)

Level Names

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Level Names

Post by Tails_155 »

Alrighty. Just making sure! :P

However, we may, at the end, weed out the more cliché stuff and ask the authors if they would mind coming up with a better name... Not a requirement, just a suggestion.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah i think that would would be a good thing to do.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

What about names in the style of Donkey Kong Country? Like giving each level a name that is either an alliteration or a rhyme?
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Slit08 wrote:What about names in the style of Donkey Kong Country? Like giving each level a name that is either an alliteration or a rhyme?
Boy, I wonder how many other ways A2MT and SMWCP2 could be total copies of one another!

(really though, the "silly" naming of ASMT was nice, and I would be shocked if you guys didn't bring this back.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Nah, people have pretty much agreed to keep the naming scheme as... chaotic as the first game for this one, so that is staying, and people are naming them whatever they want, unstandard capitalisation and everything.

However, if there is a three (if!), I'm going to propose with more instance my musical reference idea!!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I forget, are we using the patch that allows for longer level names?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yes we are.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

S.N.N. wrote:
Slit08 wrote:What about names in the style of Donkey Kong Country? Like giving each level a name that is either an alliteration or a rhyme?
Boy, I wonder how many other ways A2MT and SMWCP2 could be total copies of one another!

(really though, the "silly" naming of ASMT was nice, and I would be shocked if you guys didn't bring this back.)
A2MT started first obv SMWC would be copying talkhaus in this case
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

OH SNAAAAAAP.
No he d'dn't.
:lol:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

past few posts
this great conversation is certainly helping this project become a success isn't it
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

To be fair, it's demitri responding for some reason to a trolling post by argumentable.

Why he responded, I have no idea other than he's responding to everything right now for some reason.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I exist only to troll

I think it might be fun if maybe there was a "designated level namer" who named all of the levels based on what they felt about it, with no input from the level creators themselves other than what's actually in the levels. I'm leaving it at that for now to see the feel from everyone else about it (or maybe I'm trolling still [I'm not])
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ProfessorDemetri

Okay, apparently I need to post about the topic.

As for the names, no, we can't just up and change the names already put into the game by the level designers. Or force some sort of convoluted naming system for the future levels. As the name is a part of the level, the designer that does that level is in charge of their own naming system.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I disagree, and I'm fairly certain it was done for a few levels in ASMT
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

I'll be honest, I'd be perfectly fine with someone altering my levels name to better fit the nature of the hack. I spent a while trying to think of a name that didn't sound like a boring description and literally could not think of anything. So if anyone wants to take a crack at naming it, be my guest. Level 10C.

I think I'd be down with the idea as a whole if you contacted the author of the level name in question and asked if they would be fine with changing their levels name. If they accept, then the level namer can go nuts.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Also, the current name for Paralars' level (level 10D i think?) is "(?) sky castle". As in, it needs a name, too.
raocow

Post by raocow »

no way, 'question mark sky castle' is a great name, there should be more names like that if anything
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

No, you just don't get it because you haven't played the level.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Honestly I think you don't get it, raocow could have done one of two things there:

1. Been totally joking.
2. Meant that totally absurd names absolutely have a place in A2MT.

Since it's raocow it may be choice two, but since it's raocow it may be choice one.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

List of people in this thread who really don't get it

-Tails_155
ProfessorDemetri

Okay, how about a compromise.
For the people that can't think of a name for their levels, or aren't satisfied with the name for their levels, those levels can have the rest of us name it.
For the levels that already have names, and names that are otherwise acceptable, and ones that the designers haven't told us they didn't know what to name, we'll leave as is.
Okay?
Cmbheadquarters

Post by Cmbheadquarters »

Hmm.... well, the world names could be related to that worlds 'sibling' if you know what I mean. or some thing like Sewer Showdown, or Buffalo Barn or somthing like that. or somthing that is like 'hey there XXXXX* but as raocow said with the music, we could 'symbols' describing the level. ♪= original composition key = secret exit eye = Sibling reccomended powerup, and so forth. Yeah i got carried away.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Something like that wouldn't work because if we only did it for levels that need better names there wouldn't be many levels like that. Also, some levels may use the same music.
ProfessorDemetri

limepie20 wrote:Something like that wouldn't work because if we only did it for levels that need better names there wouldn't be many levels like that. Also, some levels may use the same music.
Of course there wouldn't be. There'd only be a few. That's why I wanted to keep the designer named titles to begin with...
And I still do. The designers should make their own names for their own levels. It keeps it interesting and chaotic, just like ASMT's level names were.
Demenstar

Post by Demenstar »

The best way to get a good name is to start reading stuff, like A LOT of stuff. Look at some of the words and think about synonyms and everything you learned and then forgot about like the rest of the kids in English class.

Once you do that, then just have a little bit of creativity, and blamo!

Well, there's a lot more needed than that per se, I could definitely help with some concepts of the game in general if not just some names. But I'd need to know the general gimick of a level to do that, otherwise you can't just name things blindly, you know?

If the worlds are all themed with grasslands, ice, etc. then we can definitely come up with some good ones, granted they could be facepalmingly-horrible puns, but everyone loves that in one way or another.