(shouting)

The ROM help thread

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Chdata

Re: Lookie! I Brok'd It! - ROM help thread

Post by Chdata »

We do not have multiple midway points in the rom.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Ok, so, I made a copy of the ROM so that I could attempt to insert the music file without worrying if I screwed it up. And luckily I did, because now when I try to play the game, it just gives me a bad checksum thing and stays at the blackscreen. Any idea what I did wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work.

EDIT2: Ok, nevermind that nevermind. The ROM itself works, but when I enter the sublevel the music is for, it just goes black and no music plays.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Did you use Romis addmusic? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happens if you don't.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Well, I downloaded it months ago, so I forget which one it was, but to insert it, I had to use cmd.exe and type "addmusic.exe A2MT.smc LEVEL" and then use the addmusic.ini that it creates. Is that the process for Romi's?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah it is. What version of a2mt are you using?
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I downloaded it at the end of May, so an earlier one.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well you might wanna try on the latest version because you might have a patchless version.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So, it seems that the Sink slow, Move Fast block doesn't work right in the new version of the baseROM. You only sink to the bottom of the one block, and kind of jiggle there. The only way to sink fully is to be up against a solid wall.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Eep! What's going on!?!?

Post by Ashan »

I was play testing my A2MT level, and then all of a sudden I noticed this:
What's going on? Why are the background graphics garbled? Is there a way to fix this? If not, will I be able to save my level? Help me!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Eep! What's going on!?!?

Post by raocow »

looks to me like something related to initial camera placement values.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Is there a way to fix that? (Sorry if I should know this. I don't do a lot of rom hacking in my spare time.)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Edit whichever entrance you came out of. Go to the BG and FG things. If the entrance was at the bottom of the screen make it C0 and C0. If it was the middle scroll up one for BG and FG and if it was near the top scroll up 2 (I forgot those ones).
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

(Due to the various "oh no i haz troubles" threads that have been moved here, I'm assuming this has become the "general/uncategorized help" thread at this point and not just a thread for help with issues with the baseROM itself. If that's not the case, sorry for being irrelevant.)

Alright, so I'm just about finished with what I would consider my "rough draft" of my level right now, and it just needs a couple of changes before I'll feel comfortable submitting it to the testing thread. Hopefully most, if not all, of the things that I'm asking about are simple:

-One area in my level is dark, and I want to get rid of the "disco spotlight" sprite that is placed on the screen as a consequence. (Especially since it actually looks like a Para-Bomb with the sprite index I'm using.)
-When using Map16, to give a block layer priority, do I have to do anything other than select "Layer Priority Enable" from the drop-down box? I think I was struggling with this a while back in that I would do so, but Mario would still be in front of the blocks in the game.
-For part of my level, I went to the "Bypass Music and Time Limit" dialog box to set the time limit for that section, and decided to set the music to the slot in which that area's intended song would eventually be inserted. I haven't inserted any custom music yet (which I also don't know how to do yet, but I can probably find a tutorial for that pretty easily,) but when I reached that sublevel while playtesting, the game froze. It stopped freezing there once I switched the music slot back to one that had something from the original game. I just want to make sure, did the game only freeze because there wasn't anything in that slot yet, or is there a different way that I should set the music for my levels?

...I think that's all, so if and when I get these questions answered, I should have a "rough draft" of my level up in a day or two. Thanks!
I don't really get it but okay
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

-When using Map16, to give a block layer priority, do I have to do anything other than select "Layer Priority Enable" from the drop-down box? I think I was struggling with this a while back in that I would do so, but Mario would still be in front of the blocks in the game.
Not to imply that you're dumb, but you have to remember to re-place the block on the Map16 page and save. I've forgotten to do that a few times. Also, layer priority doesn't work on vertical levels, so that might be the problem if your level is vertical.
-For part of my level, I went to the "Bypass Music and Time Limit" dialog box to set the time limit for that section, and decided to set the music to the slot in which that area's intended song would eventually be inserted. I haven't inserted any custom music yet (which I also don't know how to do yet, but I can probably find a tutorial for that pretty easily,) but when I reached that sublevel while playtesting, the game froze. It stopped freezing there once I switched the music slot back to one that had something from the original game. I just want to make sure, did the game only freeze because there wasn't anything in that slot yet, or is there a different way that I should set the music for my levels?
Happened to me too, so I assume it's the same issue.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I don't know if this is the right place, but, well it is rom related. I seem unable to get the block to work, wich takes away the item in the box in the top of the screen. The one that makes the player small works. So I don't really understand what's wrong. I even tryed it in the newest version of the base rom. Same thing. Help?!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I could only get the 'gets rid of the item in the reserve box' block work as a question mark block that you hit from underneath :/ I have NO idea how that thing got inserted, haha!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
HarmfulGravemind

So it's like a coin block? Well that's seems kinda useless. Oh well. I need a workaround then.
Cup

Post by Cup »

You're trying to strip the reserve box? Do you want that to happen upon entering the level? Because I think that's what the leaders are planning to happen anyway. If it's for a sublevel or something, that could be solved by some pretty simple level asm. If you really need it to be a block, I have to imagine there's a working one somewhere on SMWC... If not, it shouldn't be hard to write one.
HarmfulGravemind

So they (our blue people) take the entire reserve box away? That's just awesome and makes it very easy for me :D !
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So I'm using the Banzai Bill sprite set, but I also need the lava splash to work. How do I do that?
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

Not removing the reserve box, just storage from one level to the next
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

I absolutely need the green gas sprite on this first screen of my level, but when I add it, it causes issues with demo being visible.

How do I fix that? Also WTF is with the size limit? 512KiB? I can't upload IPSs with that.

http://www.box.net/shared/dv7t3t0ks3
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Cup

Post by Cup »

Change the sprite memory setting (lakitu head) to 0D. Those bubbles don't work well on other settings, but that will fix any problems.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

AUS wrote:I absolutely need the green gas sprite on this first screen of my level, but when I add it, it causes issues with demo being visible.
Probably need a different sprite header thingy, iunno.
How do I fix that? Also WTF is with the size limit? 512KiB? I can't upload IPSs with that.

http://www.box.net/shared/dv7t3t0ks3
Place the .IPS in a .zip.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Thanks.

Now I'm having another unrelated problem, though.

How many times have you heard this? Coming out of a pipe, for some reason the screen starts at the top and moves down to Demo and oopsies! The background gets messed up at the bottom of your screen. Yeah.

How do I fix that? :S
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist