(shouting)

The ROM help thread

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Ometeotl

Re: Lookie! I Brok'd It! - ROM help thread

Post by Ometeotl »

I noticed that the message box sprite just shows "y!" instead of "1" and "2". How am I supposed to know which it is, then?
DMII

Post by DMII »

Test your level ;)
DMII wrote:In my level the top of the Fire Bro has garbled graphics, even though the SP is set correctly.
Am I the only one experiencing this problem O.o
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Uhm...

So Tails gave me a new baseROM so that I could test out if the asm and music and all that is working correctly.

So... how do I transfer my levels over? I know how to save as .mwl files, and then to open those files from Lunar Magic at the correct level number, but the custom map16 stuff that I made doesn't follow over, and the background ends up being being this whole bunch of blue squares. What step am I forgetting?

Also, does palette/ex-animation carry through the 'level transfer' or is there anything else I need to do?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

You have to load and save the Map16 pages..

For the FG data you press F5 while you have the Map16 window open, and to load it into the other ROM you press F6

For BG pages you save it by pressing F7 and load it in with F8.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Machoman wrote:You have to load and save the Map16 pages..

For the FG data you press F5 while you have the Map16 window open, and to load it into the other ROM you press F6

For BG pages you save it by pressing F7 and load it in with F8.
Well then!
You learn something new every day!
raocow

Post by raocow »

Wow, I don't know what I'm still doing hilariously wrong, but everytime I try to use addmusic (romi's), it truns my smc file into a 'bad rom' and freezes at the 'hey there everyone' screen.

Pff....
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Are you having problems with any other version of the base ROM? Whatever version I downloaded a few weeks ago (I think it's version 1.55+) works just fine on my end. Could you post a step by step of what you're doing exactly?
raocow

Post by raocow »

Alright.

So in my folder I got the rom, and I got AddMusic, and I got the AddMusic .ini file

Then I go in command.com, go to the folder, then type addmusic A2MT.smc LEVEL

LEVEL contains all the required music.

What... what am I doing wrong?
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Try

Code: Select all

AddMusic.exe a2mt.smc
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Hmm, that's not quite the way I did it.

First of all, I downloaded Romi's Addmusic from SMWC to make sure I had the most recent version. I put the folder in an easy to access place. I copied the slightly altered base ROM and cmd.exe and put them in the same folder as Romi's Addmusic.

I started cmd.exe and typed: Addmusic.exe romname.smc

Suddenly Addmusic.ini appears in my folder.

I put a random .txt file from SMWC in the LEVEL folder and opened the Addmusic.ini, chose the spot for my music (30 in this case) by typing "txtfilename.txt" beside the place where it says 30, and saved the file.

I started cmd.exe again and typed: Addmusic.exe romname.smc

Then I opened Lunar Magic, changed the music slot to 30 in my level and saved.

I'm not sure the whole LEVEL part is necessary, but that might be because you're using an older version of Romi's Addmusic or something?
raocow

Post by raocow »

Well, I redid everything by following these steps exactly, and... things are working out perfect. Yay!

Next stop - making levelasm work!
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

DMII wrote:Test your level ;)
DMII wrote:In my level the top of the Fire Bro has garbled graphics, even though the SP is set correctly.
No. As I've said on NUMEROUS occasions across at least 3 threads, it is fixed in the newest version. Don't worry, move along. It's fixed. It is fixed. Either download the newest version and reinsert, or download the newest version, extract the ExGFX, and insert them in your old ROM. It's fixed. Why can't people check this? Sorry I sound annoyed by this, but everyone throws a fit, I KNOW it was messed up. It's fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
DMII

Post by DMII »

Tails_155 wrote:
DMII wrote:Test your level ;)
No. As I've said on NUMEROUS occasions across at least 3 threads, it is fixed in the newest version. Don't worry, move along. It's fixed. It is fixed. Either download the newest version and reinsert, or download the newest version, extract the ExGFX, and insert them in your old ROM. It's fixed. Why can't people check this? Sorry I sound annoyed by this, but everyone throws a fit, I KNOW it was messed up. It's fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed. It is fixed.
Woah, please calm down, it works now, everything is fine. (except the people from 9/11, they are still dead) (Black humour ftw)
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

In my rom, my goal post looks like this:

The top of it is messed up, but I haven't seen this in other people's levels, am I missing something obvious, or should I just redraw the top of the goal and hope it's fixed in the final rom?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Old graphics version, it's fixed now, has been for at least a week.
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

Tails_155 wrote:Old graphics version, it's fixed now, has been for at least a week.

EDIT:

I had inserted those graphics already, but needed to change my FG2 to 87 instead of 17.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Cheeseofdoom wrote:
Tails_155 wrote:Old graphics version, it's fixed now, has been for at least a week.

EDIT:

I had inserted those graphics already, but needed to change my FG2 to 87 instead of 17.
... Oh derp... I'll get Terry to fix it in his next update, until then, just ignore it I guess... ._.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I can't figure out the the dripping water tile. I assumed it would appear by changing BG2 to 135, like the vine ends and reset doors, but it doesn't want to appear.

The one on the left is the for the sublevel I'm working on, and the one on the right is level 105, which of course has the dripping water working. The only differences are BG3 and AN2, neither of which will make the dripping water work when it's changed in my sublevel to match the one from 105.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

You need to use ExAnimation, and it needs AN2 to be ExGFX133 to do that.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Hi,

is it impossible to have layer priority enabled tiles in a vertical layer 2 level? Because I am working on a downwards staircase inside a tower and I want the stairs to be in front of Demo and the wall bricks to be behind, so I use layer 2. But not a single layer priority enabled tile works layer priority enabled. So what can I do?
raocow

Post by raocow »

as far as I know, priority just flat out doesn't work on vertical levels, unless a fix exists.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

So I can't have tiles appear in front of the player at all or is there a fix or a different method to get to that what I want?
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

May I have some help with my problem? Awesome.

When i'm in BlockToolSD, I get some f*cked up erorr when inserting. Something about "the id doesn't exist" But i've added it to the database. so Wth am i doin' wrong?

oh yeah, if i wanna insert a block on page 27 and on row 3 is it 2730 i'm gonna write in that box thingie?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Noooooo.
If you want the block on 2730 you need tobwrite 2730 in decimal not hex.
RivalNightmare

Post by RivalNightmare »

Awesome. but.. It isays "Input is in hex"..