(shouting)

The ROM help thread

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
limepie20

Re: Lookie! I Brok'd It! - ROM help thread

Post by limepie20 »

limepie20 wrote:press the door with the 1/2 on it depending if you are using main entrances or secondary exits.
Go where it says "Layer 1,2 (FG,BG) Initial Position"

If the entrance is near the top of the screen put:
FG=00;BG=60
If the entrance is near the middle of the screen put:
FG=60;BG=90
If the entrance is near the bottom of the screen put:
FG=C0;BG=C0

I hope that helps.
By entrance I mean where you enter the level (the pipe).
Cup

Post by Cup »

Under the Main and Midway entrance menu, towards the bottom where it says Layer 'X' initial position, mess with that.

Putting both the FG and BG at C0 will set everything at the bottom of the screen. If you want it higher just play with the combinations until you find one that you want.

It should be noted though, for basic Lunar Magic stuff like your last few questions, no answers any of us will give will be nearly as accurate or as detailed as what you can find in the help file the program comes with. FuSoYa did a pretty good job with it, and it's how I learned all this stuff. So it's worth a read if you get stuck or are otherwise bored on a rainy afternoon.

Edit* damn it limepie!
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Is it possible to export and import specific lines of a palette? It would be much less tedious than switching two full lines one by one.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

No I don't think there is. Unless you can edit the palette file.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So here's something strange, I was testing a sublevel, and I fell into a pit with Yoshi and he stayed with me onto the world map (but my level is a castle one, so yoshi is dropped off at the beginning). When I returned to that sublevel, the Yoshi that's supposed to spawn at a certain point was gone. That's problematic.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

That's odd, though technically won't be a problem in the actual game because Yoshi does not travel with you through the overworld...

...Not sure how to fix your problem, though.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Ihans no idea why yoshi comes you on the overworld because it doesn't do that in original smw so I guess it got added for some reason.
E-Man

Post by E-Man »

I hope this thread doubles as a help thread. Anyways, I've been having trouble with an ExAnimation of mine. I've been using direct VRAM offsetting to create a heat effect using four colours; however for some reason after inputting in the correct values for the ExGFX file and the direct VRAM offsets for the ExAnimation window, I still either end up seeing a black colour or some colour that I never created. I have checked the values time and time again, all of the appropriate fields are filled out correctly, and yet this continues to happen. Any idea of what it is that the problem is?

Oh and for clarity's sake, here...

Code: Select all

cd 14 0f 1d 71 21 b3 29 ce 14 10 1d 72 21 b4 29 cf 14 11 1d 73 21 b5 29
is what I have in my ExGFX file; and this....

Code: Select all

17000 17000 17008 17008 17010 17010 17008 17008
is what I have put into the frames part of the ExAnimation window.

Should it come down to it I could use the other method of setting multiple slots for the palette animation; however that's a little inconvenient for my taste.

Edit: Never mind, the problem was that I had used the wrong VRAM offset when I put a value into the frames field. Instead of 170xx (which should have actually been 17Dxx for AN1) I would have had to put 1ADxx for the frames. I'm half amazed in myself that I never caught this earlier. >_>
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Not really rom but... is it possible to lock the ASMT subforum so you can't make new topics? A spambot just posted there.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Ok, so, with the new baserom update, it's become clear that the reason the pitching chuck replacement (at that point the fat demo clonethings) were a bit glitchy, graphically, was not because they were unfinished (as had been suggested awhile ago), but because they aren't compatible with my current sprite settings. It's a bit worse now, as for some reason the new ones are still graphically glitchy, and the baseball replacement no longer shows up at all. What can I do to get them working with the other sprites I'm using in the sublevel (firebars, bullets, sledge bros).
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Ometeotl:
Have you found a solution to this yet? Or am I WAY too late on this? :lol:
I think you just have to make sure the level is set to be using chucks (clone things, flowers whatever), in it's presets, or something? I think I'm saying that wrong, but in the ExGFX window, you can choose what sprite preset the level is using... I think the chuck uses SP3 or something... >.> :lol:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Yeah, I got the solution. Thanks ,though.
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

Well I didn't break it myself, but...

I have an ex-switch palace level (11b) for my level. I want to use both message boxes, but the one that's normally used (you pressed a switch!) has glitched graphics where the block examples usually are. Can someone either tell me a known fix for this, or point me to where those tiles are so I can ExGFX them out?
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Cheeseofdoom, in the overworld editor there should be an option to "Change Special Message Levels." For testing purposes, you can just change the level number of the red switch message to anything else through that menu. I'm assuming that in the completed base rom, the message will be set to occur in a different level anyway.

I didn't test to make sure it works, but I'm pretty sure that's the fix for that.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

Isocitration wrote:Cheeseofdoom, in the overworld editor there should be an option to "Change Special Message Levels." For testing purposes, you can just change the level number of the red switch message to anything else through that menu. I'm assuming that in the completed base rom, the message will be set to occur in a different level anyway.

I didn't test to make sure it works, but I'm pretty sure that's the fix for that.
I remember now, I had actually fixed this before! I forgot I got a new baserom a while back.

Thank you.
Ometeotl

Re: The ROM help thread

Post by Ometeotl »

So I would like to change what palette the sprite of the flying item box uses, so that it won't conflict with Demo's eye. I grabbed an ExGFX file because I assumed it was something that was done through YYCHR, but the YYCHR tutorial I was reading said that wasn't the case so I don't know how to do it.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

YY-CHR can change what palette the sprite uses but not the palette. Palette editing is done in Lunar Magic. To make it easier, you can press a button in the top right corner that says load savestate and you can pick a .zst file (or whatever snes9x uses) and then it will be using the palettes from the game and you can view what it would look like in the game.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

hey I have a little problem:
I requested level 126 for my remake of TheSlyPigs level, which was originally 122, is there a way to move the whole main level from 122 to 126 without having to rebuild everything?
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Paralars:

Open level 122 in Lunar Magic, press ctrl+i, and change the "Level Number to save as" to 126. That should do the trick.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

wow, I always hated when that dialog popped up because I usually just quick-save the level.
Well, thanks a lot. :)
I feel stupid...
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Don't, it's one of those 'you have to know it' sort of thing.

Happy dredging!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage