(shouting)

Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Diortem

Re: Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

Post by Diortem »

I looked for the Rotodisc, but the sprite asm says that it also suffers from the same problems. A quick search through the collision detection routines show that the code treats Spinjumping the same as being on Yoshi (regardless of any jumping state) this is most likely linked with the glitches. I did some testing on my own by taking the Ball 'n chain sprite and changing the following code:

Code: Select all

LDA !RAM_OnYoshi
PHA
STZ !RAM_OnYoshi ;not on yoshi during the collision detection routine
JSL $01A7DC			; interact with Mario
PLA
STA !RAM_OnYoshi ;restore value
Now the collision detection with the ball is correct, and hits Demo directly rather than making Yoshi flee. This side effect is actually what I need for my level since you'll need his flying abilities throughout that sublevel. The hitbox is bit higher up, but I don't think it's too bad plus that could also be fixed.

However, Yoshi still flees when making contact with the center of the sprite. Apparently, there is something beyond the BnC's direct sprite code that cause damage here! I could put a muncher there to make it look normal, but I'll try to find where this collosion is caused from.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

I need a slippery block that only the block is slippery while the entire other level isn't. I've scoured SMWCentral.net and found the Proper Slippery Block by Ersanio but those keep the level slippery if you don't hit the right blocks that disable the slippery. And I've also tried Schwa's IceBootSensitive block in his Pseudo Power-ups, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Here's what I want to do:
slippery part.png
But not have the land next to it be slippery either.
So I need a block that is only slippery when specifically touched, and for the rest of the level to be normal. Does anyone have the code for this block?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well wehave blocks that turn the slippery flag on and blocks that turn it off so you can just put the ones that turn it on where you want them and surround it with ones that turn it off.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I need a teleporter screen exit block.
I'm sure there is one inserted in 2.17, but I don't know which one.
Can you help? :)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Tile 470.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Thanks, that one worked.
But it looks like I cant transfer any items (springboard) with me when using that one.
Is there another teleporter that doesn't delete items?
If not, I'd like to request one.
._.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I couldn't find one on smwc so I assume it doesn't exist.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Uhm, so could someone who's better at this stuff please post an overworked version of the teleporter block that allows you to bring items like a springboard? :geek:
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

^
I don't need that despereately right now, but I'd really appreciate to have that as soon as my level is finished. So, if anyone considered being so kind to make this block, take your time.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

This is probably pretty simple but I just need a block that explodes (like when Mario spin jumps on a turn block) when the on/off switch is set to on. I'll have some that you can walk through and some that you can't do don't make it always solid. Thanks.

edit:
Actually, I tried and I made this:

Code: Select all

;explodes when off

db $42

JMP Go : JMP Go : JMP Go
JMP Go : JMP Go 
JMP Go : JMP Go 
JMP Go : JMP Go : JMP Go 

Go:
  LDA $14AF
  BNE Explode
  RTL

Explode:
  LDA #$02 ; Replace block with blank tile
  STA $9C
  JSL $00BEB0
  PHB
  LDA #$02
  PHA
  PLB
  LDA #$01 ;set to 0 for normal explosion, 1 for rainbow (throw blocks)
  JSR $028663 ;breaking effect
  PLB
  RTL
(Yeah I know the layout is probably terrible, I've never made a block.)
It works for the most part but it only works when Mario touches it and I want it to work always so as soon as you hit the on/off switch, they all explode.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I don't know if it's possible to put a sort of main routine in block asm to run every frame.
If it isn't, I guess you could use levelasm or a generator to check for this.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Thanks,
It doesn't really matter anymore, though. I found my way around it.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Okay, for some reason the sprites in the first part of my level keep disappearing. I have no idea why and your help would be appreciated. A picture of what it's supposed to look like is in the attachement below, on the far left, with the eeries, big boo, and boo blocks. Different ones disappear every time, and you can still be hit by them as they move. I have no idea what's going on here! :?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Try clicking on the lakitu in Lunar Magic and choosing sprite memory B.

Also, quick tip:
try to use less cement blocks and make your level out of land. It looks a lot better.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Wow, thanks, that worked perfectly! Also, there won't be any cement blocks in the final level, they're just there to make the level playable until I've made the custom stuff.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Okay, just making sure!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Hey guys.

I'm looking for something for the level I'm working on, but since I am an utter and complete noob in all that asm and custom stuff I'm kindly requesting some help here !
So basically my level is sort of a shell-themed level, with blue koopas kicking shells all over the place. But to add some variety I thought putting some cannons that will shoot shells instead of the usual bullets. Now my question is : what do I need to do this? ASM? Custom blocks? a generator thingy? or none of the above...?

Or even better, is something like this already inserted in the game? I don't think I've seen any in the few levels i've played.

If someone could tell me what I need to do in order to insert this it will be greatly appreciated.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Do you want the bulletshell's design to be special in anyway, or just the static image of the shell laying on the ground?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ometeotl wrote:Do you want the bulletshell's design to be special in anyway, or just the static image of the shell laying on the ground?
Ah, sorry, guess I wasn't too clear about what I wanted. I was talking about a cannon that would shoot "running" shells, as in a shell after being kicked by a koopa, that falls off ledges and bounces off walls and stuff; thus the usual design of a shell would be perfectly fine. If you could do something like this, that would be awesome in a bucket :D

I will upload the level when I come back home if you want to see the general "feel" of the level.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I have no capabilities in what you need, I just wanted you to clarify what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ometeotl wrote:I have no capabilities in what you need, I just wanted you to clarify what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.
Auuuuwww :( You just crushed my hopes to dust... for eternity. Well not really for eternity if any talented kind soul manages to do this, but still!

Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

A cannon that shoots moving shells? I remember seeing a few of those in hyper VI. Not sure if it's hard or frowned-upon to take a thing from another hack, but if not then that's a place you can get it.

If it helps, the level I'm thinking of is either the second or third level in world 6, the sewer world.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Wyatt wrote:A cannon that shoots moving shells? I remember seeing a few of those in hyper VI. Not sure if it's hard or frowned-upon to take a thing from another hack, but if not then that's a place you can get it.

If it helps, the level I'm thinking of is either the second or third level in world 6, the sewer world.
Thanks ! I'll look it up, I didn't even know the hack wasn't locked.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

I don't know how to access the custom sprites in the baserom. the custom sprite collections is empty.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Your rom needs to be named a2mt and be in the folder the ips comes in.