(shouting)

Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Thank you. I still don't know how to make the sprites look right. I might need a link to a tutorial.

edit: Just figured out to make them look right.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

For that, just open the SSC file that comes in the baserom. Look for the sprite you want to use and it should say something like SP2=xxx. The SP2 can be also be SP3 or SP4. The xxx is the exgfx file that sprite uses.
So, in Lunar Magic, click on the red poison mushroom and check the box at the top. Some of the options are SP2, 3, or 4. Change that to whatever exgfx the custom sprite uses (from the SSC).
That should work but it may mess up graphics for other sprites you want to use. If it does here's a thing about exgfx I've written before:
limepie20 wrote:The problem with the graphics is really easy to fix and once you learn it, you can do it with no problem. Go in Lunar Magic and look at the tileset specific sprites. Bob-omb is the first sprite there and if you look at the top right corner, you see "SP4=02". That doesn't make much sense if you don't know what it means but it's pretty simple, actually. Click on the red poison mushroom (Super GFX Bypass). This basically shows the graphics the level is using. If you look you can see an SP4. The reason the bob-omb said SP4=02 is because SP4 needs to be set to 02 in the Super GFX Bypass for the graphics to be correct. That's pretty much how to solve your problem.
But there may be some conflicts. Most of the tileset specific sprites use SP3 and SP4 and some of the graphics in your level may be screwed up if you change the SP3/4. For instance, Thwomp needs SP4 to equal 03 and the Hopping flame needs SP4 to equal 02. Obviously, SP4 can't both be 02 and 03, but there is a solution and it requires exgfx. When you press the red mushroom it extracts the graphics which creates a folder named 'Graphics' in the same folder as your rom. That folder contains all the global graphics for that rom (note: you need a program called yy-chr to view and edit these graphics files. If you don't alreayd have it, I suggest downloading it from smwc; it is very useful in smw hacking). There will be a bunch of differently numbered files and they= numbers have a meaning. Remember the bob-omb? SP4=02. That means the bob-omb's graphics are in the file "GFX02". SO the hopping flame and thwomp's graphics are in files GFX02 and GFX03. Copy/paste file GFX02 (they are interchangeable so you can copy/paste 03 and do the rest opposite). Now you have a second gfx file with the hopping flame and the other things in that gfx file. Open up gfx 03 and copy/paste all of the thwomp's tiles into the copy of GFX02. Now be careful here, you can't just place the thwomp anywhere in the graphics file. You need to put it in the same exact position as in GFX03. Now you combined the two gfx files so the thwomp and hopping flame can be in the same gfx file (obviously, if the thwomp and hopping flame where in the same position in the gfx files, it would be impossible to combine the gfx files and put them in the same level (they might be; i didn't check)). Now insert that new file as an exgfx file.

Sorry if I over explained. I don't know your smw hacking knowledge so I'm just staying safe. If you don't know how to insert/use exgfx, tell me and I'll tell you.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I only have access to sprites 0-30 in the custom sprites collection, even though the sprite list text file list had more.
I mostly want the fakegoal(76)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, if you want anything past 30, be on sprite editing mode and press insert. For the sprite, write the custom sprite number you want. Then for the extra bit, write 2. The sprite will appear in the top left corner of the first screen so you can change the other two inputs if you want.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Hopefully my last question, do the line guide objects(the ones that the platforms, saws, and fuzzies follow) only show up if they are in a level with the right tileset? I'm using sublevel 070 and the line guides aren't in the objects or sprites menus anywhere. Do I need to get a different sublevel that supports them or am I doing something wrong.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

they are number 38+ in the tileset specific object menu, or the first map16 page.
They use FG/BG tileset 2/6/8 (click the purple poison mushroom to change)
or just GFX16 in the FG3 slot (click the red poison mushroom to change)
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Thanks, Paralars!!!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

I need Slot 51 for my level:
It's the Pendulum Ball n' Chain
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm pretty sure pendolums were already used, you should re-use it from there level! (I have absolutely no idea what sprite number it is though)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Demetri requested and uses it, but he's not around.
Maybe limepie knows.
And what's up with you still reading spoilers here and there? :mrgreen:
I guess I can forgive you raocow, because of dat announcement video today
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I can remember two levels that used pendulums but neither of them were ever finished (one being Demitri's, the other being yoshiguy's). So 51 is yours.

Also, please put all your requests in the signups thread; that's where they go.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Do iceball bros throw iceballs?
Why don't they use the spitting animation?

Oh and why do the fireball plants still use palette C or D, the standard graphics are designed for palette A colors A-F, I see black plant heads everywhere.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

When I try to insert my block from block tool, it says that "Map16 out of range". I'm trying to insert it at 0x5D00. Why won't it work?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

the tiles from 4000 upwards are background image tiles without behaviour (or ASM)
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Well, I've concocted an idea for a level lately, I'm planning on requesting another slot in a later phase and see what's needed then.
I know a tileset I can use and I thought of a custom sprite to use with that, I know the layout I will use, but with palettes, difficulty, background theme etc I could really adapt to everything I can imagine with that level,
The thing is, I can't make that sprite, I've looked into sprite programming quite a bit lately, but I don't know enough about RAM adress handling etc yet to really pull that off.

The sprite I need is basically a tweak of a
baby yoshi
it seems like a pretty simple addition to me, but it's really specific, so I can't use cfg editor for that.
As I found no disassembly of that sprite to make a slight edit, I'm asking if anyone would be willing to program the sprite for me.
If anyone is willing to help me with that, tell me and I will explain the details.

Like I said, it seems not too complicated to me and there really is quite some time for that.
Thanks.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

Gee, Paralars! I wish I could help you as much as you've helped me, but I have no idea how any of that stuff works!

Anyways, I have two more questions.

1. Is there a way I can make a pipe useable, but completely covered by another solid block? I've seen it done before, but I've tried to increase the Z order, and it just completely nullifies the pipe. How do you do that?

2. Still having problems with inserting my block. Basically, it says that it needs to act like a certain block, but when I type it in, it just changes it back as soon as I click ok. Then, when I try to play my level, it won't work. Am I still missing something?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

are you talking about changing map16 properties?
You need to
- Left click select the block
- Change the settings
- Paste the block with the new settings over the old block by right clicking
- Save the map16 changes with F9 before you play

If you want a block that is enterable like a pipe, make two map16 blocks that are set to "act like" the two pipe top blocks (137, 138). For the graphic tiles, you can choose what you want.
Leifytwig123

Post by Leifytwig123 »

You did it again, Paralars! Thanks so much, I'm almost done with my level now!

Do the On/Off solid blocks at the beginning of this thread act like block 130? Because that doesn't work for me. This is the second to last thing I need done.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sprite that spawns just normal sprites continuously?

I want one to spawn normal goombas in a fast rate, but SMWC doesn't seem to have a sprite like that :/

I don't want it to be a generator because I already have one on screen and you can't have more than one :(
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Thank you very much your excellency, Yoshicookiezues! :D
¡Gracias muchas para tu excellencia, Yoshicookiezues! :D (idk why, but I'm in a Hispanic mood)
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

BF Talkhaus Reserved for A2MT

This is the boss sprite right?

I just started something with Mishi but don't bet on anything.

Especially because I just had to re-learn the basics of lunar magic completely down to how to delete everything in a level.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

I suck at coding, so could someone help me?

Where do I add some code that plays a sound effect and shows some shininess graphics (like getting a coin) when you bypass this coin toll block?

Sound Effect
$7E:1DF9:
10 - Magikoopa shoot magic

Idk the shininess code :/

Toll Block Code

Code: Select all

LDA $14AF
BNE rtour
LDA $0DBF
CMP #$63           ; set the number of coins to pay
BCS retour
LDA #$30
STA $1693
LDY #$01
RTS
retour :
LDA $0DBF
SEC
SBC #$63           ; set the number of coins to pay
STA $0DBF
LDA #$01
STA $14AF
rtour :
RTS
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Hey I just finished watching Roacow's ascetic run of outrage and I think it would be a good Idea to include invincible flopping fish enemies.
Apparently there are some sublevel claims coming up in the in the"next phase" of the project and I really think this would be a gimmick I would use in a level
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

final final level questions here we go!

has anyone used the smb3 screen-scroll pipes in this hacK? I'm already using like a billion resources but I might consider using them in my level if they are already being implemented.

also, I recall there once being a triple-firebar sprite somewhere but there doesn't seem to be a download on smwc's file system. what's the deal with that thing?

EDIT: nevermind. found the firebar and a workaround for the pipes.
Last edited by anonymousbl00dlust 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.