(shouting)

Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
ProfessorDemetri

Re: Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Dior, if you don't mind helping me out abit more..
How do I actually implement it? I mean, I'm really new to this whole custom sprite thing... eehmm, how do I change the graphics for it? I'm assuming it just make a new EXGFX file for it, but how do I point your code and stuff to what I want it to look like?
And then, to put it in the game...
I take what you've given me, put it into the ST folder under sprites, then add it to the list SpriteA2MT, and then do the whole insert thing in lunar magic?
..I'm such a noob lol :ugeek:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Sure, you're on the right track already. I didn't modify the GFX tiles yet, so it will use the exact same tiles as the regular Ball 'n Chain (SP4).

For insertion of the sprites into the ROM you need to:
-Insert sprites in Sprites in the "\ST\sprites" directory & add it in SpriteA2MT.txt like you did
-Have sprite_tool.exe, xkas.exe & trasm.exe in the "\ST" directory (downloadable in one package right here)
-Also have an A2MT rom in the same directory (not necessary, but eliminates typing the path)
-Either use the command line or double click on "sprite_tool.exe" to run the tool.
-Type in the location\name of the rom & text file
-Wait a minute or two as the ROM gets patched, and that's it.

For testing I usually create a second text file that only includes the sprite to be tested, this way the patching goes muuuuch faster. ;)
ProfessorDemetri

...whoa...
That's alot of things that's patching lol Watching it scroll like that.. is kinda weird lol
So for the graphics, I use the GFX file as it would regularly, but EXGFX it out to something else, pop that into the bypass exgfx, and there we go?
Also, to get the sprite into the actual level, I do press Ins, and then in command, I put in AA, or whatever sprite number, even if I can't select the sprite from the custom sprite list (which only goes up to 30 btw lol)? Right?

EDIT: Oh, and also, could you make it work with $P1? That would be great. As the SP4 is already taken up with this.. lol viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1265&p=110386#p110386

EDIT 2: So whenever I try to do the whole Ins thing in LM, with sprite mode on, not FG mode on, I type in AA, or AB, (AB is something else I'm trying), but I keep getting the regular ole Fishbone (AA), and Rex(AB)..what's the about?...

EDIT 3: Is it because I'm not setting the extra bits? That gives me a little red cross box..hmm... I'll figure this out, so help me god lol If that's the problem, what do I set for the extra bit? 1,2,3?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Indeed. Yep, all sprites refer to GFX tiles by index. That's why you often get garbled mess when trying to insert a tileset specific sprite from a different graphics set. If you override SP4 (at the moment) the Ball 'n Chain will change.

I read you need a 32x16 ball, but does that still mean you need 2 chains, and are the two tiles for the ball mirror copies of each other? The current ball is like the original (it uses only 1 tile that is copied & rotated 4 times to make it look complete).

Also correction about the insertion, just make sure to set "Extra bit" field to either 2 or 3 (if it's smaller than 2 the regular sprite AA will pop up which is a Fishbone).Yes, you need that.The red cross always appears in Lunar magic, as it doesn't show custom sprites. You'll have to run the emu to see the results

The Big Boo doesn't consume all the tiles in that graphics file now does it (Ball & Chain only needs 2 tiles). It would be better to merge those with the tiles not used by the Big Boo, as pendulum is using custom code it possible to refer to any tile within any of the SP1-4. Overriding SP1 is usually not a good idea as all the common graphics are in there. This will lead to glitches when spin jump effects or dust clouds appear.

Edit 20-
Maybe this works better with a different medium to talk. XD
ProfessorDemetri

AAaarrgh, yeah you're totally right.. how about sp2? ahah that would be lovely.
Also, yeah, it's pretty much the same thing for the ball and chain, I'm going to exgfx it out, so that it looks all pointy and junk, so that's why I only need to the bottom 2 to be mirrored..
Check out this really shitty mspaint explainer thing.. lol I'm starting to get tired... evidently
yar.png
So, yeah, the chains are still fine, but I'll just need 2 bottom pieces for the pointy bits, which I'll be filling in with ExGFX.

EDIT 9001: Indeed, add me on skype? Or even MSN?
the skype is in my sig, and the msn is under my avatar?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I've sent you a msn invitation. As I don't do skype. :P You'll probably recognize the message.
Also nice image you got there. XD
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

limepie20 wrote:[I'd like to request a custom sprite] basically a mimic coin sprite.
So it looks like a coin and when you get near it, it jumps at you and keeps jumping at you, like a bouncing koopa that follows you. It would be cool if it opens is mouth when it jumps at you and shows its teeth but that's optional. Also, when you jump on it, it turns into a moving coin.

I hope this request isn't too big, it seems easy to do. Thanks in advance for whoever attempts to make this.
Hey, Dior. You don't have to do this and I just remembered this and you seem like you're good with sprites. If I got this in my level, that would be great but you don't have to take the request and I'd still love you the same. I'm asking just incase.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Lime: I don't mind to help, but I first want to finish Demetri's request as I already started it. It's easier to work on one thing at a time.

So the coin behaves something like a Hoppin' Flame, but is triggered by proximity distance?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh yeah that's fine. It just seemed you were done with the 'posting portion'. Yeah like a hopping flame or parakoopa. Also, could you make it so if you kill it and don't get the coin it respawns? Thanks in advance. You can take as long as you want.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

wouldn't a hopping flame that you can just jump on to kill it be little to no challenge?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Well I'd prefer it to be faster and jump higher, more like a parakoopa. But whatever Diortem wants to make is fine.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

limepie20 wrote:You could customize this block to work like a 1up.
Because I'm terrible at ASM/coding, would it be easier if I post the code for a 5-Up block and have someone tell me what coding to replace in order to make it a 1-Up block instead?

Here's the code btw:

Code: Select all

; A block that will give Mario 5 lives
; Act like 25

JMP Mario : JMP Mario : JMP Mario : JMP Return : JMP Return : JMP Return : JMP Return

Mario:
	PHY		; Push Y.
	LDA $18E4	;\
	CLC		;| Give Mario
	ADC #$05		;| 5 lives.
	STA $18E4	;/

; Glitter

LoopStart:
	LDA $17C0,Y
	BEQ CreateGlitter
	DEY
	BPL LoopStart
	BRA End

CreateGlitter:
	LDA #$05
	STA $17C0,Y
	LDA $9A
	AND #$F0
	STA $17C8,Y
	LDA $98
	AND #$F0
	STA $17C4,Y
	LDA $1933
	BEQ ADDR_00FD97
	LDA $9A
	SEC
	SBC $26
	AND #$F0
	STA $17C8,Y
	LDA $98
	SEC
	SBC $28
	AND #$F0
	STA $17C4,Y

ADDR_00FD97:
	LDA #$10 
	STA $17CC,Y

End:
	LDA #$02		;\ Replace block 
	STA $9C		;/ with block #$1E6.
	JSL $00BEB0	; Then erase self.
	PLY

Return:
	RTL		; And return.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Uh..
probably just replace the 05 in

Code: Select all

ADC #$05      ;| 5 lives.
with 00.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Thanks Lime, I was able to figure it out. The only thing I don't know is the code for the "yay" text to appear when getting a 3-Up moon. I'd like that have that on this block if possible.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Hmm... According to the RAM map on smwcentral the 5-up graphics are glitchy. I'm not sure if there is a patch for this to fix it in case you have strange graphics.

Demetri:
Attached is the Pendulumnchain.asm/cfg for insertion into the ROM. It uses only top half of the ball like we discussed and it slows down when it gets near the peak of its swing. Also the graphic indices in SP4 were changed from $E8 -> $CC (for the chain) & $EA -> $CE (for the ball quarter). If those numbers don't tell you much, just look at the picture I sent you earlier. The graphics will work like in the diagram. The only thing remaining might be the palette index as it's hardcoded in the asm. Just tell me which one you need and I'll fix it up.

I've ran into sprite issues for the customized Big Boo one. It's actually implemented, but the default custom Big Boo sprites causes some strange effects (invisible Demo). I read the "Sprite limits patch" is needed for this, because rendering large sprites seems problematic.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Schnurmanator wrote:Thanks Lime, I was able to figure it out. The only thing I don't know is the code for the "yay" text to appear when getting a 3-Up moon. I'd like that have that on this block if possible.
good thing I posted a code for you some days ago
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

:O Omg Paralars, i totally missed your code. im really sorry QQ

Thanks btw, I'll have to test it as soon as I can. And sorry again, I miss things occasionally :/
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Demetri:
Here's the second sprite patch you requested. It uses the customized Tileset in SP4 as we discussed earlier, that should make it compatible with the other sprites you wanted to mix in the level. Make sure to set the sprite header to $10 (click on the lakitu head in LM). Otherwise the graphics will glitch. Since it's based on Ladida's dissassembly you can use the extra bit to make it follow Demo even, when she faces the sprite.

That should be all. Have fun with inserting them into your level. :D
ProfessorDemetri

Dior:
You're my internet hero.
Thank you so much! I'll be putting it into my .ips patch when I get a few more things worked out.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I've ran into a sprite problem myself today. I was working on editing LightSlei's level by making it a winged Yoshi course, but I noticed the collision detection somehow is really weird when Demo is riding said horse. Note: please don't mind the Ball GFX. The tiles were just like that for testing
A2MT006.png
A2MT007.png
I got hit by the Ball 'n chain eventhough there absolutely no contact (normally only the ball can do damage), moreover it's possible to walk right through the ball without getting hit at all. I don't understand what's going on here. Has anyone seen such behaviour?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

so basically the ball tiles don't match the ball hitbox?
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Paralars wrote:so basically the ball tiles don't match the ball hitbox?
Yes, but when not riding Yoshi the hitbox is perfectly fine on the exact same screen.

I tried to look up if there are any occurances of riding Yoshi could break the Ball 'n chain sprite in Google, but I couldn't find anything in particular.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Yeah there are some sprites that are glitchy with Yoshi. When you are on Yoshi, for a unknown reason, when you touch the 'middle' of the Ball 'n' Chain (the point where the sprite rotate), Yoshi get hurt and run away.
You can't fix it, it is a glitch from the sprite itself that is present in the original SMW (but you never see it since Yoshi isn't allowed in castles).
But you can try to found or create a patch to fix the glitch or a custom sprite that act the same but with the glitch fixed (don't know if it's possible).
Or you can use this glitch as a gameplay element ; for example you can put a red block where the ball 'n' chain spin and put a message box that say that these blocks are too hot and since Yoshi doesn't like hot stuff it hurt him if he get too close but it's safe for the player or something like that.
Or you can simply remove the Ball 'n' Chain.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I was afraid of that, although Ball 'n Chain shares most of its code with the rotating platform of which the hitbox does work with Yoshi (otherwise he couldn't be in several other non-castle levels). Adding a damaging tile in the center would help, but that still means the ball can't hit Yoshi.

Removing them is indeed the easiest option... I'll have another look at it's code, because this is very unsatisfactorily.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

maybe you can replace it with exGFX'd rotodiscs or something silly