(shouting)

Patch Discussion: Request, discussion, and general

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
VideoGuy

Re: Patches, Tools, and Hex Edits

Post by VideoGuy »

I don't see why not. I like it better than SMW's default message handling, and a LOT better than the VWF Cutscene tool, so I would say go for it if it works.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Hmm well we're 2:2 and I'm indifferent as to wether or not we use it.

Although I already rethought the two dialogues I just made incase we decide not too. Then again it and idk.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
HuFlungDu

Post by HuFlungDu »

Daarkbuu wrote:hahahahahah no

it seems a little.......ridiculous/overkill/pointless
Finally someone agrees with me... That patch always kills the mood for me, and makes my head asplode because it really doesn't fit in SMW. It's a well designed/written thing, it just doesn't work for me.
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

I don't think we should use it either. Honestly, does anybody actually like cutscene-style dialogue in SMW hacks?
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Well knowing how the story is headed it's either that or the VWF cutscene tool. And I'm leading toward this just because the text appears faster with this tool. Plus you can have an entire screen as the picture instead of just a little box up at the top.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Another thing is that it doesn't "freeze" gameplay (or at least you can set it not too) which is what I was thinking we could use for me to code cutscenes with actual movement like my Calleoca dialogue in the story thread.

On the other hand, we can do just as well with Romi's cutscene tool. (Except for Calleoca jumping on Demo but that's a small thing).

I'm not sure however if the patch also changes vanilla smw's message boxes, as I don't exactly like it where you hit the box and the rpg thing pops up, it's more useful for a tutorial or cutscene thing.

My vote is either way, but so far it seems like we won't use it.

Although I do like a good story.

ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Guys, guys, hai guys! You know what would be cool? Guys listen, listen to me guys.
It would be cool, guys, if we had a neat transition between the OW and the levels.
Hear my out guys.
If we had a transition kinda like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ROdX9FX20
at 2:13 with the titles of the levels that come down like that.
Honestly, I don't even know if that would be possible with the SMW engine, but damn it would be cool as hell lol.
There's my two cents for tonight lol... :ugeek:
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
HuFlungDu

Post by HuFlungDu »

ProfessorDemetri wrote:Honestly, I don't even know if that would be possible with the SMW engine
If it can be done on the snes (As you have clearly demonstrated this can be), it can be done in SMW. The question is whether or not it pushes the limits of the snes (It doesn't) and if there is someone willing to code it.
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

its most definitely possible, i just think that with everything were putting in, it may take it a bit over the edge. It is a cool thing to consider, but level names already show up on the ow.
Your Princess is in another castle!
Love Toad
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

HuFlungDu wrote:if there is someone willing to code it
*stares at you*

No actually, I don't think it would really work that well. We have the level names on the overworld, and I think that's enough. It's a neat idea, but I think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I don't really like the idea. For one we'd also have to draw gfx for all the level names probably.

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I wanna mention that I had this idea a while ago where on the overworld you had the level names at the top and then the person who made the level at the bottom. Could that happen?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

It could, if someone makes it.

RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

limepie20 wrote:I wanna mention that I had this idea a while ago where on the overworld you had the level names at the top and then the person who made the level at the bottom. Could that happen?
thats very possible,it would be like having a second level name, much easier than a separate thing to display the level name huge
Love Toad
HuFlungDu

Post by HuFlungDu »

chdata wrote:For one we'd also have to draw gfx for all the level names probably.
Nah, you could just re-use tiles of they are that large, but yeah, not a big fan of the idea either.
VideoGuy wrote:*stares at you*
Hey, don't look at me, I'm barely even a member of this project. If you wanted it done, I would make chdata do it :P
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

HuFlungDu wrote:
VideoGuy wrote:*stares at you*
Hey, don't look at me, I'm barely even a member of this project. If you wanted it done, I would make chdata do it :P
I know, I was just joking.

As for the OW author idea, I think I remember looking through the Extended Level Names patch once to figure it out and it didn't work. Then again now I know how stripe images work, so that would probably help. Let me take another look...
Youtube Channel
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Okay, can someone actually confirm that the patch works with the current version of LM? I've tried getting it to work, and it just crashes the ROM when I start it up. I've set freespace, saved the overworld in LM, but it still doesn't work.

Why is ASM so easy and yet actually patching something so hard?
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Did you try the one in the compilation patch? (don't got it on this computer ask any other blue tho, one of them might have it. if anyone does tails does)

VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

I was just using it on a vanilla SMW ROM, not even the A2MT Baserom.

Which is why I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.
Youtube Channel
a cool guy

Post by a cool guy »

My level depends on being able to carry a silver P through a pipe and retaining its silvericity. I see this patch is listed as "pending", what does this mean? Will the final hack fix the silver P bug?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Pending = it has yet to be decided on.

a cool guy

Post by a cool guy »

Cool, thanks. For what it's worth, here's my "yes, otherwise my level won't work" vote. ;)

I don't reckon one can easily patch that on a level-to-level basis via LevelASM?
RomHaxMax

Post by RomHaxMax »

i really dont think i matters, but if a level needs it to work correctly, then it should be applied
Love Toad
ProfessorDemetri

Post by ProfessorDemetri »

Yeah okay, fair enough.
But having the names of the creators, in a multi-creator hack, would be really cool, as not alot of people would take the time to open up a level list. It's kinda an extra head nod to all the collaborators. I think anyway lol
My vote is for this, yo.
If you need help with anything, contact me on my skype: Demekun
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

My counter argument is that I've seen hacks and other fan games with level author names like that and it really, really looks cheap.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage