(shouting)

Patch Discussion: Request, discussion, and general

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Chdata

Patch Discussion: Request, discussion, and general

Post by Chdata »

This is the forum for discussing which patches will be included into the rom, and for requesting for a patch or requesting help.
Post all patch related discussion here.

This is the version of LevelASM we are using for the baserom, use this or you will be confused.
It is NOT a download right now due to past complications, just read what this post says.

Do not use $168000 (aka $968000) for anything.
Do not use $198000 (aka $A98000) for anything.

Tails' note: Please remember what versions of the tools we are using. Conflicting versions can cause unforseen issues. Please update yours to the standards that the inserter sets.

SEE THIS PAGE FOR A LIST OF WHAT PATCHES ARE INCLUDED, AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFO.
Especially look here if you are curious about the global subroutines.

Lunar Magic Fixes Used:
Auto-message sprite fix
FastROM addressing

Tools: (Just because it's listed doesn't mean it'll be used. But most likely, it is.)
LM1.82
Romi's Addmusic
Carol's More.bin (to be used with Romi's Addmusic) - If this messes up any songs don't worry it's fixable.
BTSD44
Tweaker
-Blocktool to BTSD Custom Block Pack
Sample Tool
Romi's Spritetool
Translhextion
VWF Cutscene Tool
Last edited by Chdata 9 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: updating the first post to include all past posts
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Patches, Tools and Hex Edits

Post by Tails_155 »

SMW-Fix? It could fix some problems, I dunno if it's necessary, fully.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Patches, Tools, and Hex Edits

Post by raocow »

Is this here the place to discuss wether or not we want counter-power-ups or not?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yes.

If anyone wants a powerup blocked from there level (and it can even be a single powerup and not just force small mario.)

Post your information here. Or when we're sure of who's controlling the rom, tell them and I guess that person can PM me or do it themselves. And whoever pm's me that info when they become the manager guy, tell me the request even if it sounds impossible.

Also if we include the $19 expansion patch, I have tons of powerups I'm porting to it that we can add to the game such as...

Wall Jumping
Hammer throwing
Claymoores
Kirby style jumping
Peach Bomber
Peach hover
Ground pound (I need to bugfix this)
Double jump

etc.

The way these powerups behave with the $19 patch is very convenient. If you get hurt you become small mario and they don't stack or anything.

Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

I think he meant an actual discussion about if we should force small Mario in every level or not.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

chdata wrote:*A few parts of my message box recoding patch. (Not the new message system, just the levelnum restore.)
What exactly does this do, and why do we need it? If it's about the translevel number thing, all the NPC's and message boxes based off those messed around with that plenty in ASMT, without any of the effects you were describing.

And about extended level names: did you see WYE's new version for even longer names? Is that something we want or not?

Also this reminds me to suggest that one patch that writes the name of the current sublevel at the top of the screen. Not necessary by any means, but it would be kind of neat.

It feels so nice to not be in the managing position for once~
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Yeah, as was happening in.. uhm... in the asmt1 bugfix thread I think, haha
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

wouldn't powerups like double jump and floating mess up the game a bit if you can carry them to another level?
Or am I missing something?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Paralars wrote:wouldn't powerups like double jump and floating mess up the game a bit if you can carry them to another level?
Or am I missing something?
Not with the $19 patch. The way they work, you don't need any external generators or something like that. Of course it'd probably best to forcibly get rid of any non-vanilla powerups outside of the levels people want to use them in.

Also yeah, I think my LVL NUM show patch would be interesting, especially since I fixed the bug at the start of levels where it doesn't show up immediately.

I say WYE's new version, and I figured that if we're going to have costumes, it'd actually be better to use Smallhacker's version because you still see Demo in the top corner with whatever costume she has. Plus, no one in ASMT really had a level name that was really that long, so I doubt we'll need that much extra space.

I don't think small Mario should absolutely be forced in every level.

Lastly, here's the things my message box patch does (that I'd include in ASMT)

-Causes the translevel number ($13BF) to always be restored after ANY message is played.
-Also it waits to do this only after the message actually appears (when you can see the letters)
-This is useful because it allows you to change $13BF to play a message from another level without having to restore it later.
-This also happens whenever you see yoshi's message and such. (It gets restored again.)

It's like a safeguard against the problem, plus if someone wants to just use a custom block that plays a message (instead of an NPC, incase they want a sign or don't want to worry about sprite limits) they won't need to set up some levelASM code to restore it.

RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Why carols and not Romis addmusic?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

chdata wrote:Also yeah, I think my LVL NUM show patch would be interesting, especially since I fixed the bug at the start of levels where it doesn't show up immediately.
No, I meant that patch where you can actually give every sublevel its own name (not just number, displaying that seems kind of pointless), and it shows up at the very top of the screen, above the status bar. To be more exact, it's this one.
chdata wrote:Lastly, here's the things my message box patch does (that I'd include in ASMT)

-Causes the translevel number ($13BF) to always be restored after ANY message is played.
-Also it waits to do this only after the message actually appears (when you can see the letters)
-This is useful because it allows you to change $13BF to play a message from another level without having to restore it later.
-This also happens whenever you see yoshi's message and such. (It gets restored again.)

It's like a safeguard against the problem, plus if someone wants to just use a custom block that plays a message (instead of an NPC, incase they want a sign or don't want to worry about sprite limits) they won't need to set up some levelASM code to restore it.
But the NPCs don't restore the number, and yet we didn't get any problems at all in ASMT.
K3fka
SMW Central PR guy
First name: Steven

Post by K3fka »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:But the NPCs don't restore the number, and yet we didn't get any problems at all in ASMT.
Well, what would happen after talking to an NPC would be, if you go to a regular message box and hit it, it would show a message from the level that the NPC read from. You probably tested it by talking to all of the different NPCs, and they change the levelnumber when you talk to them, so they always read from the right level. I don't remember if there were message boxes in the place with the Yoshi NPCs in the original ASMT, but that's the problem Chdata is talking about.
Cecil Deacon

Post by Cecil Deacon »

If we have an idea for a really random bowser fight (with edited graphics and not as the final boss) can we hex edit him? there are some fun things you can do...
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Actually no, but that is one problem my fix fixes.

I meant that screen exits will get messed up if you link more than two sublevels.

AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

Cecil Deacon wrote:If we have an idea for a really random bowser fight (with edited graphics and not as the final boss) can we hex edit him? there are some fun things you can do...
We try not to re-use any original SMW boss fights if we can, the only one we did use was reznor for Agrumentable's level.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

There's no reason not to use the SMW bosses if they can be made original enough.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

/although it's very hard to do. When I suggested making the bosses different through hex edits so they would be different and harder, YCZ said that it actually only makes them take longer to beat. Plus the SMW boss fights are boring nowadays,

Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

wasn't kil coming out of retirement to make some bosses.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

No. He just said so on another thread.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Wouldn't it just be better to use WYE's version of Smallhacker's level name expansion patch?
It seems better, though I haven't used it myself.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

From what I understand, it removes the "Current Demo outfit" graphic from the corner, and Chdata wants to keep it.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Which makes sense with the different costumes.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

kilon wrote:Which makes sense with the different costumes.
Indeed.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

chdata wrote:/although it's very hard to do. When I suggested making the bosses different through hex edits so they would be different and harder, YCZ said that it actually only makes them take longer to beat. Plus the SMW boss fights are boring nowadays,
I think at this point, it'd be more interesting to make the SMW bosses easier - imagine if you made Iggy fly off the stage when stomped instead of having extra strength Iggy. That is, if you bother to use them at all.
video games
kilon

Post by kilon »

But Iggy is about as easy as can be.
Making it even more easy would be just stupid.