(shouting)

The Overworld

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Chdata

Re: The Overworld

Post by Chdata »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Just remember that unless someone figures out how those hardcoded paths work and create some new ones, crossing paths like in that overworld won't work.
Holy what I almost edited your post lol.

Anyways, what about that area in the forest of illusion in SMW. It has a crossed patch. I think you can just "break" the path so there's no path temporarily and it'll work. It's worth a shot.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

chdata wrote:
yoshicookiezeus wrote:Just remember that unless someone figures out how those hardcoded paths work and create some new ones, crossing paths like in that overworld won't work.
Holy what I almost edited your post lol.
Enjoying that moderator status I see... lol

But really, I think that basic idea of the overworld looks quite nice, If we have some oblong levels that don't fit with the world theme, we could always just put it in some building thing, make the area around that level slightly different, or make a series of hologram buildings throughout the worlds.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

chdata wrote:I think you can just "break" the path so there's no path temporarily and it'll work. It's worth a shot.
Just tried this and sadly it doesn't work, but i'm going to experiment some more. Also I can't find a crossed path on the forest of illusion submap?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Well it does let you do that. If you wanna check here's a 100% SRAM save for SMW.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I don't remember anything about Forest of Illusion, but I know that Chocolate Island also had crossing paths. I still remember the first time I looked at that point in Lunar Magic. For whatever reason, the level just had a path that exited from the top, looped back around and led to the same level from the bottom, and somehow this managed to create crossing paths. (I was EXTREMELY confused.) So I don't know how the crossing paths work yet (and doubt I will anytime soon), but Chocolate Island may be a better starting point than Forest of Illusion to figure that out, because I don't think I even found any extra paths in the first place in Forest of Illusion.

Anyway, we might need to determine a general number of levels for each world before we start. Maybe something like "8-13 levels for world X, 7-10 levels for world Y," just some wide range to ensure that none of the worlds end up being less than 4 levels or have way too many levels or anything. If there's a certain theme/difficulty combination that few people seem to want to make levels for, then there probably won't be many levels sticking to that theme unless there's a minimum number of levels required for that world. Yes, little mini-capsules can be elsewhere in the world, but still, if there's an ice-themed world with 7 levels, there should probably be more than 3 ice levels there.
I don't really get it but okay
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

The chocolate island ones are hard-coded.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

FOI does indeed have one, though, but I don't know whether it's hardcoded (I'd imagine it's the same as Chocolate Island's)
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

No horizontal path means that it's a hard-coded path.
Pikerchu13

Post by Pikerchu13 »

How does this little hub world look? I used ExGFX in this submap, which is why every exit is a pipe, doesn't really matter though, in my opinion.
D: Desert World
F: Forest World
U: Underground World
W: Water World
Knowledge is a gift, and it's the only gift I'm not giving! :ugeek:
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Neat graphics, but almost everywhere in the game is set inside a huge space station. If you can find Terry's mockup that's a good indication of the sort of thing it should look like, and he also did a map for where everything should lead.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

what FoD said, but I must admit, it looks wonderful.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

How is it with subworld making? Are there any special themes to them, more then they should be located in space.

I guess that anybody is allowed to make a submap, so I want to give this a try.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Even if it's in a space station, the domes can be SO FREAKIN' HUGE that it's impossible to tell, except for like in one of the submaps which is right on the edge, or something. If anything it'd be a neat reveal.

Think BIG, people.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kilon

Post by kilon »

That volcano is a nice indication of new (hq) OW graphics. Because seriously, we need that.
lileeper

Post by lileeper »

I think the edges to the submaps That border the outside of the OW should break off into space or something. So some maps would border space and some wouldn't.
The pie is the real lie!!

sentry back on duty replacement no longer needed
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I'm really hoping we do that, I'd like to see some really cool looking Space Station shots.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Are we using the common Pyramid level spots on the world map?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Pyramid level spots? What are they?
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

A large number of hacks use a Pyramid on the world map as a level spot. Lifted directly from the All-Stars version of SMB3's desert world, I believe.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Hopefully I'm not overruling anyone here but I see literally no reason to use a pyramid to indicate a level in a space station. We'll be using the little yellow and red circles.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

all levels will be marked by a red or yellow pyramid

hahaha, nahh. I take it you want to make a 'pyramid' level? We'll see how things turn out when the overworld is actually being built, though I suppose it,s something to keep in mind.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I just wanted a recolored version of the Pyramid tile, because it fits my level theme quite nicely. My level isn't a pyramid at all.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Then I'm confused.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Wait we're not using universal pyramid tiles!?
Ometeotl wrote:I just wanted a recolored version of the Pyramid tile, because it fits my level theme quite nicely. My level isn't a pyramid at all.
So a Pyramid tile fits your level theme nicely but your level isn't a pyramid at all.

Now I'm confused too...
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

A recolored Pyramid fits my level, not a standard one.