(shouting)

The Overworld

we don't need no edu - I mean, these threads, anymore.
Personalness

The Overworld

Post by Personalness »

This thread is for overworld ideas/creations/discussion. That is all.

(I'm in the process of making an overworld as i post this, but feel free to make your own)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: The Overworld

Post by raocow »

Hmm, how about the theory that the overworld should be created around the submitted levels?

Unless you plan on doing a very maleable overworld (or that it rocks so hard we just CAN'T take it, hahaha!)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

In that case this thread may be deleted. I should have read that 19 page thread first, shouldn't I?\

EDIT: After briefly scanning that thread, i want to try something, not that it will necessarily be used, but as an option to vote on. Yay democracy.
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

It's not a useless thread though, as we're bound to discuss things we'd prefer and stuff eventually.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

we could still discuss the whole
"do we make the OW linear, Vip3-like or whatever. How will the Worlds be ordered and what about closed levels at the end of the game?"-stuff here.
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

I think we decided to make it nonlinear. I'm going to draw up my current idea of what the overworld could be like but I have two things to clarify first: Is World 9 going to be a seperate submap or an event thing like in ASMT? And what is the maximum number of submaps you can have?
raocow

Post by raocow »

One big map, six sub maps.

Considering the nonlinear nature of the game, I think we should try to just maximize the expance of the main game, and perhaps not have a 'special' world. I mean, if the asmt world 9 content was used elsewhere in the game, and the game proper ended with the King Charles thing, I think the end would have felt 'better'.

It'd be nice to avoid that this time.
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by QuietProtag »

The 8th world should be longer than 4 levels.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

If we do decide to go for themed worlds again, i made this little thing. I know we're going for non-linearity, but the first world should have some, at least.
world1.PNG
world1.PNG (4.83 KiB) Viewed 9813 times
(raocow I'm not sure if you want to see it, but all that's in the spoiler tags is an image of it)
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Let's play: Snakes and ladders :lol:

It looks not bad, but I thought it is going to be so that the OW maps are desinged after the levels are made.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

It is, I'm just throwing these out there in case we decide to use them.
raocow

Post by raocow »

If anything, they can be used as a sort of squeleton for later (a squeleton that may or may not have to be heavily edited!)
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Yea I would think having a general feel for the look of the overworlds, even without constructing them outright, would be nice.
Terry von Feleday

Were the themes we decided on in the plot thread final? I believe the idea was desert, ice, spaceship exterior (sky), storage area, forest, water/jell-o and underground/evil carnival for 7 of the 8 first worlds and Art for world 9. What would would 8 be? ...Actually who would the boss of world 8 be?

Also, we did decide in the end to place it inside a giant space station, yes?

Here's how I imagine the basic overworld layout:
[attachment=0]overworldconcept2.PNG[/attachment]
Just a basic idea of how we could make it not entirely linear. There'd obviously be more paths inbetween the various submaps, like a secret exit that allows you to go from World 1 to World 6 and stuff.
Since the submaps can have extra tilesets but everything on the main overworld has to share one, I suppose that World 1 and 2 should be simpler ones graphically, I think the desert and the water one maybe.

I'm thinking of whether I should try making an Overworld tileset, but I think I'll hold off until I know a bit more about the actual levels people intend to make.
Attachments
overworldconcept2.PNG
overworldconcept2.PNG (13.36 KiB) Viewed 9785 times
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

That's very nice, actually. Not forced linearity, but not so free that a difficulty curve can't be established.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

that looks interesting and nice, I think we should do it that way
raocow

Post by raocow »

and so in essence 'world 9' IS the real final world that you spend all game unlocking.

Very, very nice.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

Following Terry's map, I made a nice perspective view of the overworld, complete with world placements to debate on:
map.PNG
map.PNG (20.45 KiB) Viewed 9765 times
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

I don't it's a good idea to determine world themes yet. I want to give level designers as much freedom as possible and to hopefully avoid "World X is puzzle world" and things like that.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Well that looks pretty good actually, but I think forest + ice should be swapped, because
1. I think ice is harder than forest
2. The hub, the water world and the ice/forest will be on one big OW map, and somwhow I think forest+water fits a bit better than ice+water (I know, my mind is strange)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yeah, I'm going to agree with Alex-R here. I do like Terry/Personalness's look on the map (as in, four split routes each with two worlds and a switch at the end), but picking themes this early on is sort of limiting. However, assuming we WERE picking themes like that, then I would definitely make the ice world the second one on the path rather than the first. Ice worlds are generally difficult no matter what you do to them, so it would make more sense to have it as the "last" one on a path.

Just my two cents.

e: ninja'ed on the ice thing, but i suppose that just solidifies the point.
QuietProtag
also known as luigiman09, rip 2010-2014
First name: Félix

Post by QuietProtag »

Terry von Feleday wrote:Were the themes we decided on in the plot thread final? I believe the idea was desert, ice, spaceship exterior (sky), storage area, forest, water/jell-o and underground/evil carnival for 7 of the 8 first worlds and Art for world 9. What would would 8 be? ...Actually who would the boss of world 8 be?

Also, we did decide in the end to place it inside a giant space station, yes?

Here's how I imagine the basic overworld layout:
[attachment=0]overworldconcept2.PNG[/attachment]
Just a basic idea of how we could make it not entirely linear. There'd obviously be more paths inbetween the various submaps, like a secret exit that allows you to go from World 1 to World 6 and stuff.
Since the submaps can have extra tilesets but everything on the main overworld has to share one, I suppose that World 1 and 2 should be simpler ones graphically, I think the desert and the water one maybe.

I'm thinking of whether I should try making an Overworld tileset, but I think I'll hold off until I know a bit more about the actual levels people intend to make.
Personalness wrote:Following Terry's map, I made a nice perspective view of the overworld, complete with world placements to debate on:
map.PNG
S.N.N. wrote:Yeah, I'm going to agree with Alex-R here. I do like Terry/Personalness's look on the map (as in, four split routes each with two worlds and a switch at the end), but picking themes this early on is sort of limiting. However, assuming we WERE picking themes like that, then I would definitely make the ice world the second one on the path rather than the first. Ice worlds are generally difficult no matter what you do to them, so it would make more sense to have it as the "last" one on a path.

Just my two cents.

e: ninja'ed on the ice thing, but i suppose that just solidifies the point.
I like this overworld. It's cool! But I agree with Alex-R & S.N.N. It's like pushing the level designer to do a ice level.
Last edited by QuietProtag 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

Fair enough, I just placed it like that to match switch colors.

(Clowns match with red, guys.)
Terry von Feleday

Just reminding everyone that the individual maps will probably still look something like this (although of course not as crappy). These are just the "main" themes for each World, everyone is nonetheless invited to do something fancy to place in different capsules as long as their number won't end up too great (and it shouldn't, really, because freedom or not I'm sure most people here are as fine with basic themes as they were in ASMT).
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Just remember that unless someone figures out how those hardcoded paths work and create some new ones, crossing paths like in that overworld won't work.