(shouting)

FINAL TESTING INITIATED - v1.02 ready for testing

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Chdata

Re: FINAL TESTING INITIATED

Post by Chdata »

kilon wrote:One other thing I noticed in the last beta version that raocow didn't come across:
-In the computer room and VR corridor of the castle, when big and ducking, you still get Demo instead of only the green or red outline.
I recall this being a problem in previous versions, but I believe everything was fixed. Apparently not.
In the exgfix thing I made a new exgfx file for my computer room that included the change for coin blocks (along with the ducking frame) do you have that in too?
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Speaking of ExGFX, did you fix the piranha plant stems for that one level Argumentable did, "Starry Nights" or whatever it was called?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I added that fix in the exgfix.zip I sent him.

Is anyone against making you small when you enter the teleporter hub and removing the two mushrooms there?

I'm not, but since you're removing that now, why not make Demo spawn right on the completely unused teleporter so it makes more sense?

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

One more thing: which freeRAM address/es exactly was it that conflicted between King Charles and Rumia, and needs to be STZ'd at the start of KC's castle?
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

$0660~$06FE or something

by the way, would it be possible to get one of those message popups in my teleporter room B0 that says something to the effect of DON'T TURN BACK. It might help people avoid despawning the cement guys...
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=966&start=825#p49363

LevelInitORspriteInit:
LDX #46 ;Number of ram addresses minus one
ZeroemOut:
STZ $0695,x ;The freeram you used Kil
DEX ;Decrease X till negative (#$FF)
BPL ZeroemOut ;Branch if X is negative, aka #$FF since we DEX it

;Rest of code here

it was suggested to make this run on the OW

Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Kil2 wrote:$0660~$06FE or something

by the way, would it be possible to get one of those message popups in my teleporter room B0 that says something to the effect of DON'T TURN BACK. It might help people avoid despawning the cement guys...
Maybe too radical at this stage, but maybe consider that ASM that makes the screen not scroll back left like in SMB1.
Nothing's easy.

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

that would be pretty easy to do yeah, but you can still despawn them pretty easily just by walking back and forth im afraid
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

perhaps find a way to make it process offscreen but not process offscreen if it's offscreen left.

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

that sounds harder than just getting it to not process offscreen and not despawn
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I was thinking just check the x position.

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

wait C3 is in 4 days?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yes

I could make the code in less than an hour but... I'm currently busy with some random stuff.

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

I mean, is this going to be ready for C3 at all? it's taken 3 months to get this far. is it going to be done in 4 days?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

What do you mean by "this" and "it"?? Just this thing about the non spawning cement guy? Or YCZ's aforementioned 7th beta test?

Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

the game
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Sorry about my recent inactivity... Been completely swamped with schoolwork lately. I don't have any school tomorrow, though, so I'm working on getting the final stuff done for SUPER SPEEDRUN TESTING before the C3 release.

Anyway. chdata: about that incompatibility with LevelASM; what in the world does

Code: Select all

DL !FREESPACEBAR+#8		;Download our freespace
actually do, and is there any particular reason why we can't move it a few bytes forward so as not to interfere with the LevelASM hijack?

Oh, and I still need a version of that hand block that works with BTSD 0.42.

And I am not sure if I have the updated versions of the cutscenes; could someone please link me to the newest ones?

Apart from these things, everything is pretty much done though.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Sorry about my recent inactivity... Been completely swamped with schoolwork lately. I don't have any school tomorrow, though, so I'm working on getting the final stuff done for SUPER SPEEDRUN TESTING before the C3 release.

Anyway. chdata: about that incompatibility with LevelASM; what in the world does

Code: Select all

DL !FREESPACEBAR+#8		;Download our freespace
actually do, and is there any particular reason why we can't move it a few bytes forward so as not to interfere with the LevelASM hijack?

Oh, and I still need a version of that hand block that works with BTSD 0.42.

And I am not sure if I have the updated versions of the cutscenes; could someone please link me to the newest ones?

Apart from these things, everything is pretty much done though.
DL !FREESPACEBAR+#8

it's the same as JSL Freespace (and skips the rats tag). It overwrites a JSL. It can't be moved back because iirc it does something to the jsl that's part of the effect. Really all you have to do is replace the code in levelasm that's meant to restore
JSL $018xx (whatever that was) with a JSL to the code which would be !FREESPACEBAR+8.

org $A2E2
JSL Start ;Overwrite JSL $018xxx

and

org $A2E3
db !FREESPACEBAR+#8 ;Overwrite $018xxx

org !FREESPACEBAR
db "RATS"
db start-end^stuff
db start-end><&^FFFF

Start:
End:

Do the exact same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure I already said that the hand block is the Guardian block from SMWC, just redownload it.

And I sent you the updated cutscenes in EXGFIX.zip, along with alot of other bugfixes including a fix for the podoboo's gfx (which you thought were unchanged gfx) and alot of other stuff.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

To try and clarify completely:

Go into ASMT.asm

Find:

JSL $01808C (From LEVELASM)

Replace it with:

JSL SpritesAreWimps (From DISABLE DEATH)

To figure that one out, whatever you set as the freespace (for example $168000) for the disable death patch, add #$08 to that value and make it a JSL to that spot. (In this example, JSL $168008)

Repatch both.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

So which of the patches should I patch first, and get its $A2E3 hijack overwritten by the other one? My guess would be the deathdisable one, but I'd like to make sure.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

V1.01 is now ready for testing. I don't have the new levelASM stuff and demo counter inserted yet due to abovementioned conflict (thus v1.01 instead of 1.1), but everything else should be fixed. Password is the same as always.
Attachments
ASMTv1.01.rar
Finally
(801.54 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:So which of the patches should I patch first, and get its $A2E3 hijack overwritten by the other one? My guess would be the deathdisable one, but I'd like to make sure.
Patch disable death first, then levelASM. LevelASM should have the JSL to disable death like I just explained in the post above.

edit: While testing I found you can still get to Gutzdozer as big Demo. You need to STZ $19 in levelinit there.

Also I've been wonder, what's with that transition to the level, where it's dark except for a mushroom if you have one in your item box?

edit 2: In the Jukeblock room, if you hit it enough times there's a song which is just a weird unchanged sound that lasts forever. I think it has the wrong samples because it's supposed to be the one from Kil's pressure point. (The waterfall sound)

Ow samples also haven't been fixed. (The problem where samples from levels don't get reset on the ow.)

You need to JSL to the sample tool hijack in OWASM. I'll find the value laters but I think it was post a few pages back.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

chdata wrote:edit: While testing I found you can still get to Gutzdozer as big Demo. You need to STZ $19 in levelinit there.
yoshicookiezeus wrote:I don't have the new levelASM stuff and demo counter inserted yet
chdata wrote:Also I've been wonder, what's with that transition to the level, where it's dark except for a mushroom if you have one in your item box?
It's for resetting the layer 2 position, since setting layer 2 scroll to None will make it use the position from the end of the previous room. I tried doing it through levelINIT, but that didn't seem to work.

EDIT: both the deathdisable patch, the demo counter and LevelASM works perfectly now. EDITAGAIN: also samples. If noone finds anything that suddenly decided to become completely broken, I do believe that this hack is done.
Kil2

Re: FINAL TESTING INITIATED - v1.01 ready for testing

Post by Kil2 »

Is the level init/asm for the first room of pressure point supposed to be working in the download up there? Cause I still keep all my coins and the level asm isn't going.

It's also still working in color crave cave. You keep losing coins.

ps is it just me messing around with too many cheat codes or does the castle message after rumia look really weird.
Last edited by Kil2 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Re: FINAL TESTING INITIATED - v1.01 ready for testing

No, there aren't any changes in levelASM from v1.0 in the version that's a few posts up. I have changed it, though, and it works as it should now.