ASM Lunacy

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

ASM Lunacy

Post by Tails_155 »

Okay, I am making this separate from the other sprites request stuff, as these are just extreme ideas that someone, dedicated enough may want to use, consider this a drawing board for ASM ideas not necessarily for any use, yet.

If this needs to be moved somewhere, by all means move it XD

Okay, so I had an idea based on SMW YEAH!! sprites for the paratrooper elites. Taking it to the extreme and actually giving the Koopas element related powers, I have a lot of ideas, I'll attach sprite samples as I finish making them. The completed one, graphical concepts-wise is the Yellow Paratroopa.

Yellow has Earth/Quake theme: It can summon spires, stun-slam disco, and destroy projectiles.

Red Elite Paratroopa has fire theme: It can blast fireballs, shoot home-once large flames, is immune to fire, and can do a disco-like slide which cannot be jumped on, but can be bounced on with spinjump.

Blue Elite is mainly air themed: It can throw its shell, which returns like a boomerang which can be stomped like a regular shell; It can disco in the air (without falling, staying on the same plane,) it can divebomb, and when it is stomped it is not knocked out of the air (a spin jump will temporarily ground it, and 3 jumps still defeats it)

Green took some creative license: can throw hammers, starts on the ground, jumps into the air, and into flight when Mario jumps nearby on same plane, dodges Mario's jumps, when stomped, it will spring back into the air once it hits the ground

Also, unlike the one in YEAH!! (which still deserves credit for much of the original inspiration) When stomped, it would recover, as the others did, but after 3 stomps, it would become its respective shell, and not die, same with capes, etc. Spin jumps would work the same, except that the third spinjump would work like any other enemy being spinjumped

Other ideas [here as I update] (Ideas include new Koopas, and other enemies)

Shadow Koopa (I may add a graphic later) - Black shell, which, when swallowed by Yoshi, can be spit out as an exploding shell, which explodes on impact with an obstacle (and can destroy ice/turnblocks?) - Can fade into the background/sneak, and can throw shurikens (horizontal projectile)

Fire Koopa: Similar to Red Elite, can spit fire, and has a modified disco, but instead of being unstompable, it leaves a sumo blaze trail (may add graphic.) The shell is orange, and when spat, it shoots 5 fireballs instead of 3

Terrapin Troopa: Simply a swimming version of any of the Koopa Troopas, requires buoyancy, functions like fish, but Yoshi can swallow them to take their shell power

Koopa SWAGs (Sky WAter Ground): Can be a paratroopa, but can jump into water and swim (requires buoyancy?), or function on ground; would have the same abilities as their regular counterparts (elites for the traditional colors)

Stone Troopa: Brown Shell, throws boulders like Diggin' Chuck, Yoshi eat: stomp power; Spit: Boulder sprite, bounces, hurts enemies

Swift Koopa: White? Pink? Shell Double Speed, edge-detect (like Red Koopas/Blue Koopas) Eat: double movement speed (perhaps for a racing level?)

Shock Troopa (Ground): White? Light Yellow? Shell. Shoots Sumo Bros. bolts horizontally, functioning like the bolt would to ground on wall impact (nearest ground) Yoshi Spit: Lightning bolt, acts like the Shock Troopa's bolt, except it flares on impact with an enemy, or wall, and hurts enemies instead.

Shock Troopa (Air): Same Shell. Shoots Sumo Bros. Bolts vertically.

Hoppin' Koopa: Purple Shell, jumps 4 blocks into the air when it reaches an edge (still moving in the same direction it was moving) Yoshi Eat: Jumps like when on a triangle (Yoshi)/springboard/note block; Yoshi Spit: Purple shell

(Messier and harder than most of the others I'd figure:) Frost Koopa: Ice Blue Shell. The platform nearest the Koopa becomes slick like icy. Can move at double speed, disco (temporarily, then return to walking Koopa, and the sprite is always the ice blue color) Yoshi Spit: Frost breath (freezes munchers, coins, enemies)

Fire Magikoopa: Red robe, turns blocks into Podobos (bouncing, or, if you design for only levels with buoyancy, the vertical ones,) hopping fire, or the Sumo Bro bolt (forgot to add in the image.) Can also cast a fireball which homes (X direction) once, after passing Mario.

Earth Magikoopa: Green Robe, can summon the rock spires; turns blocks into Thwimps or the rock Diggin' Chuck throws (which would bounce toward Mario)

Frost Magikoopa: (not too exciting) light blue robe? turns blocks into ice blocks

Necromancer Magikoopa: Gray/Black Robe? Turns blocks into Bony Beetle or Dry Bones, when stomped, crumples then reanimates

Elite Magikoopa: Shoots 3 shots when appears, takes 3 hits to defeat. Can use any ability (gold robe?)

Magikoopa Jr.: Only shoots magic, the magic doesn't affect blocks.

The SSB Bumper

Flex Rex: When stomped, will revert to normal after a time (limited use, really)

Ambush Sparky: Starts as the Sumo Bro bolt, when it hits the ground, breaks into 2 Li'l Sparkys which go in opposite directions, traveling around the platform they land on

Elite Spiny? Can jump/Disco?

Podobo which jumps at an angle, and back in lava (similar to the Thwimp pattern) instead of vertical

One I think raocow would like: Fake Goal Sphere, would have a different base goal sphere graphic (a smiley face, or the like) which gains sharp teeth and chases Mario in close proximity, at a high rate of speed

Fake Key: Key which, when in close proximity to Mario, turns (handle side down) and runs away, when stomped, functions as a Key, but will struggle and act as an enemy again after a time

Crush Thwomp: When it slams the ground, it stuns Mario (ground,) and launches all ground sprites 2 blocks into the air.

Crumble Thwomp: Slams the ground, breaks into two Thwimps jumping in opposite directions

NO YOSHI Blocks: Function as 130 when on Yoshi, as 25 when not; could be set up to an additional Switch Palace (hence being ASM lunacy, and not a typical block) which shuts them OFF, to allow access to secret exits.
Attachments
Fire and Earth Magikoopa
Fire and Earth Magikoopa
Magikoopa 2.png (10.85 KiB) Viewed 8888 times
Red Battle Paratroopa
Red Battle Paratroopa
Red Battle Paratroopa.png (11.96 KiB) Viewed 9012 times
Yellow Battle Paratroopa
Yellow Battle Paratroopa
Yellow Battle Paratroopa.png (11.36 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
Last edited by Tails_155 14 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Chdata

Re: ASM Lunacy

Post by Chdata »

Lol if we could contact the creator and get the sprite that'd be awesome. If someone does we should just put a single yellow para-leet koopa in only one sublevel at the most dangerous spot to put it, and no where else lolo.

Ok not really.

Also question.... do the giant green dinosaur sprites breath fire, in vanilla SMW, or was that a custom sprite.

Also I think it'd be interesting to have our own "leet" sprites. Here's my concepts.

Leet Ninji that can pop up out of dimensional holes ripped through time that will throw knives at you. (I think I'll draw this one out.) [this ones my favorite idea]
Leet Bats - well I think those metroid sprites used the way Argumentable would work, as long as it kills you on drinking the last coin.

Leet lava lotus (frog) - A lava lotus frog that can actually hop around and in the middle of its jump while in air will spew lava (hearts) straight downwards instead.

Leet Bullet Bills - a 32x32 homing bullet bill (Not like missile X) which eventually explodes into 4 homing bullet bills (Hopefully the Homing Killer Jap. kind cuz those are cooler.)

Leet Bowser statues - The normal sitting one will have retractable spikes like the bony beetles, and jut them out if you are too close. The first spitting one is similar but instead of fire it'll shoot 4 small fireballs in a design I might draw. The jumping golden one can wall climb and chase you through a level, and spits fire, and can smash down like a thwomp with retractable foot spikes.

I might be willling to draw some exgfx for these if someone is willing to try these sprites out.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Kil

Post by Kil »

Real custom sprites take forever to test and are tough to make. Maybe chibikko or someone is up for it, but it seems like everyone is overloaded with stuff already. YCZ has the last boss and tons of organizing to do, crushawake is already having plenty of problems with his boss, etc
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

good luck disassembling a koopa.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

@Tails_155 and chdata: honestly, that all seems doable with a bit of work. I have heard stories of attempts to disassemble the koopas giving people nightmares for weeks after they gave up: sounds like fun. I don't know how realistic this is for ASMT considering koopas are a major enemy and most of the levels are done. It doesn't make sense for something as common as a koopa to have these better versions which are used so infrequently. Besides:
Kil wrote:Real custom sprites take forever to test and are tough to make. Maybe chibikko or someone is up for it, but it seems like everyone is overloaded with stuff already. YCZ has the last boss and tons of organizing to do, crushawake is already having plenty of problems with his boss, etc
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

That's why I made this separate from the ASMT stuff, this needn't be part of ASMT, but it would be a collaborative work if anyone really wanted to make them XP
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Make the bouncing green koopas cause those stun earthquakes
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

Right. If someone would be willing to provide me with a list of sprites wanted (Make a poll, see which are most wanted and least wanted), with exact details, and with a graphics file for them respectively, then I shall look into making the most sought after ones after my boss is done, and my GCSE's are over (I will work on them regardless, but it will slow my progress).
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
kilon

Post by kilon »

I mentioned this in raocows thread, but maybe we should draw a line and say this doesn't have to be inserted in ASMT. We have ASMT2 that will be made no doubt.

after all, pretty much all levels are done and to use such advanced sprites just in 1 or 2 castle rooms or void rooms would be a bit of a shame of the hard work.
Yes, the sprites can be used in other hacks, but I think we should focus on finishing ASMT first and leave some room of improvement for ASMT2.
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

kilon wrote:I mentioned this in raocows thread, but maybe we should draw a line and say this doesn't have to be inserted in ASMT. We have ASMT2 that will be made no doubt.

after all, pretty much all levels are done and to use such advanced sprites just in 1 or 2 castle rooms or void rooms would be a bit of a shame of the hard work.
Yes, the sprites can be used in other hacks, but I think we should focus on finishing ASMT first and leave some room of improvement for ASMT2.
Fair enough, agreed.
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
Kil

Post by Kil »

kilon wrote:I mentioned this in raocows thread, but maybe we should draw a line and say this doesn't have to be inserted in ASMT. We have ASMT2 that will be made no doubt.

I agree, seems like everyday there's more random ideas that sound good, but are we really going to actually make all this stuff
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Chdata

Ideas and Inspiration for hackers

Post by Chdata »

So in that case I think it'd be best to work on these sprites for ASMT2, after ASMT is finished, and focus on ASMT now.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

One I think raocow would like: Fake Goal Sphere, would have a different base goal sphere graphic (a smiley face, or the like) which gains sharp teeth and chases Mario in close proximity, at a high rate of speed

We could use the doppelshroom custom sprite, and probably add some animation frames and give it a sparkle.

AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

Sonikku did something similar, except it was a boss.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

As far as ASMT goes, these weren't designed with any intention of being made originally, just ideas for if anyone was interested, they were more generally for any game, as I came up with them based off the original graphics, so I had no intention of them being in ASMT (to clarify)

A poll may be difficult, since I am adding ideas as I think them up, and there is no absolute complete list. If a lot of people decide they like a specific idea, though, I would be willing to make sprites for it, etc.
Chdata

Ideas and Inspiration for Hackers

Post by Chdata »

Hey heres a random sprite idea I got from one of raocow's vids.

Remember when he was standing on one of those custom sprite things that shoot out pellets? And raocow got spooked when it started vibrating.

We should make something like that that you can stand on then after a while it gets annoyed, shakes, and will try to bite you lol.

edit: Another concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DMta9T ... -fresh+div
At 1:59 it'd be awesome to turn that glitched out Charlie into an actual custom sprite for ASMT2. Except he doesn't keep rising when out of the ground, instead acts sort of like a pirahna plant except you can jump on it like a normal charlie. (Maybe it spawns the normal chargin chuck after being jumped on)

Blue Elite is mainly air themed: It can throw its shell, which returns like a boomerang which can be stomped like a regular shell; It can disco in the air (without falling, staying on the same plane,) it can divebomb, and when it is stomped it is not knocked out of the air (a spin jump will temporarily ground it, and 3 jumps still defeats it)

How about for the disco shells: A flying UFO homing disco shell with propellers on top like those hats.

Also for my Goopas I had an idea, I'll draw something for it.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Daarkbuu wrote:good luck disassembling a koopa.
good luck with any of that.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

This one is far less insane, and is in fact more of a question...

If there are dolphins in the game, a sprite on which Mario can stand, then why are there no good parabeetle ASMs in any game I've seen?
kilon

Post by kilon »

I've seen some 32x32 parabeetles in Super Mario World Master Quest 7..
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Is it really that hard though to make a normal parabeetle? I mean VIP4 did them wrong, Luigi's Adventure just resprited cheepcheeps... is there something I don't know? (Other than how to ASM, myself?)
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I'm not sure but I think sprite tool comes with them. Try looking around. If not, ???

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Well, it doesn't seem like creating one would be much harder than taking the rideable Beezo and messing around a bit with the Y speed whenever Mario is standing on it.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

chdata wrote:I'm not sure but I think sprite tool comes with them. Try looking around. If not, ???
yes, it is in sprite tool.
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

...yeah, the "making Yoshi do something" will be the hardest thing to handle, but I have an idea. I will go try and make the Black Koopa right now.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

elite.PNG
They move really fast and chase you if ya get close, sort of like the Rexes from Yeah! This idea is based off of Spike Kirby, although I couldn't draw a stationary spikey goopa.
I might draw a blinking frame... infact I did but it wastes alot more space.

The gfx spots will take up the goombas and pirahna plant if you can't makem use sp2 and 4 along with 1.

edit:
Elite Goopas.PNG