(shouting)

Patch Compilation - TRULY FINISHED!! ;)

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Chdata

Patch Compilation - TRULY FINISHED!! ;)

Post by Chdata »

Since some of us are using LevelASM, Marioexgfx, and the cuspalette patch, why not compile that info here?

dsx.asm or fastrom, and oampatch or nospritetilelimits? Then again no one is using dynamic sprites.

Patches that have been made: Note - I have most of these
Controller Hijack (amazing all over the place)
Reznor No Bridge Fix (Removes puffs of smoke and some stuff in custom reznor boss fights)
Boss Patch (Changes beating a boss to activating screen exit)
LevelHitBox (Makes mario's hitbox small in specific a level)
GFX separator (To use both sets of Demo graphics... does it work with marioexgfx Chibikko?)
Karoshi Level Specific (Death = normal exit)
Slow Ted Animation (Slows down Ted's graphics. For Blooper Ted only)
Some patch about the palette of munchers to use Baby Yoshi??? (For baby yoshi munchers.)
Juke Block Patch (For Juke Blocks)
POW Patch (Either use interupting but awesome Pswitch music or uninterupting and also as awesome tick tocketing)
Demo Counter

Levels to use POW Patch - Not sure how this is going to go or if we need this. Perhaps have everyone say wether or not they want jeopardy or uninterupting tick tocking.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 20 times in total.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Kil

Re: [spoiler]Patch compilation[/spoiler]

Post by Kil »

I know reallink made a patch for slowing down the torpedo teds propeller a long time ago, dunno if anyone remembered to save that.

Also for anyone using level ASM, it would probably be good to use unique jump symbols. For instance, I don't think you can have code for level 13B with the label "IFNOCOINS", and then have the same "IFNOCOINS" label in level 1C. You'll get compile errors. What I do is add the level number after every label, so it'd be IFNOCOINS13B and IFNOCOINS1C, which keeps everything straight.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Here is the slower Ted propeller patch:

Code: Select all

header
lorom

org $02B93A
JSL MAIN_CODE

org $1F8000		;FREESPACE

db "STAR"                  ; | RATS tag to protect this code from getting overwritten by other stuff
dw END_CODE-MAIN_CODE
dw END_CODE-MAIN_CODE^$FFFF

MAIN_CODE:
LDA $14		;\
LSR		; |Original code from Ted
LSR		;/
LSR		;\New LSRs. Each one halfes animation frequency
LSR		;/
RTL
END_CODE:
BlackDS

Post by BlackDS »

Umm
Yoshi is just a head in level 23
Mario is invisible in level 34

Thats all the patches i can think of.
^"that is like the quotse of the year"
Do not deny it
My personal goal is to make 200 great posts.
Take my postcount, and subtract 1400.
Thats how many good posts i've made
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Kil wrote:Also for anyone using level ASM, it would probably be good to use unique jump symbols. For instance, I don't think you can have code for level 13B with the label "IFNOCOINS", and then have the same "IFNOCOINS" label in level 1C. You'll get compile errors. What I do is add the level number after every label, so it'd be IFNOCOINS13B and IFNOCOINS1C, which keeps everything straight.
Just use namespace for each level's code. Whoever puts all of the code together can do this. It would be simpler than hoping everyone comes up with unique labels. Also, I have made quite a few patches but I don't remember which ones are being used for ASMT. If YCZ has a list or something then I can upload them.
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Hey guys, I decided to just try combining all the stuff myself, but I want to confirm what's being used and what isn't.

Controller Hijack = Definately being used
Reznor No Bridge Fix = Apparently is being used for Argumentables Reznor fight
Boss Patch = This is for the Void vanilla SMW bossrush
LevelHitBox = I might use this for the void but am unsure
GFX separator = No idea if we are using this
Karoshi Level Specific = No idea if we are using this
Slow Ted Animation = Are we really using the blooper graphics?
Juke Block Patch = I'll use them in the bonus room after I get my other stuff finished up
POW Patch = Don't know how this is level specific, but Kil says he thinks we aren't using it, and I found a bug in it
Demo Counter = YCZ should have this taken care of
customMariopallete = Chibikko is using this. I can't compile this though.
Marioexgfx = Roy is apparently going to fix the castle bug? Cuz some of us are using it. Again, not sure if I can compile this.
t83fx - highly recommended and nothing wrong with it, I'm adding it.
vertBgScrollFix -also something I recommend and I think I might use it for something anyways,

Nospritelimits =
FastROM =I made a combination of DSX.asm and the OAMpatch which are the same thing as these two. And I'm probably going to use a dynamic sprite.
Levelnames = YCZ should have this taken care of
levelasm = YCZ should have this taken care of
fadefix =we're using this

I think that's everything

But can someone also post the graphical hex edits and such. I tihnk I have the one for the Spy Boos, but not the Rex Yoshi's. And also the megamole carts.

Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

chdata wrote: Reznor No Bridge Fix = Apparently is being used for Argumentables Reznor fight
Its more like a hex edit
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

In fact, since we aren't using Reznor anywhere else, I'll just go ahead and add that to the hex edits patch.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

So you're making a patch for the hex edits? Ok.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

YCZ Important! Read!

Ok so I finally actually started compiling the patches. I put all them into one ASM file with one freespace define.

i even have most hex edits.

But I need to know this...

FastROM or DSX (I assume fastrom since it seems we won't be using dynamic sprites anyways)
I also have the Japanese HiFast.asm patch that makes it faster.

Layer 3 exgfx just for my teleporter thing (I assume you'll still say no)

Counter Break Y Patch - I doubt we're using this now... but are we?

Time Up Fix - Patch or... you mentioned a single hex edit?

Reznor fix patch -Chibikko made this to fix a bug with the custom reznor battles... but I remember somewhere there was apparently a hex edit for it... should I add this patch or just not and know YCZ has the hex edit.

The POW patch by Kil. Although I remember finding a bug in it anyways.

vertBgScrollFix - Fixes appearance of background garbage in vertical levels by setting the vertical scroll by one. Not sure if anyones using this although one of my sublevel things I really wanted to add to the void sorta needs it. (But I still can't get level numbers for the actually important boss sublevels, and you're being silent about it?????)

The Boss Patch Chibikko made for a Teleporter Slot to be an SMW Boss Rush, where you fight each boss in a row. (I think it should only be done if no one signs up for enough of the teleporters)

Also just to confrim... YCZ what's your take on the idea of one teleporter taking you back to the same room and counting as a passed teleporter, alot of people seem to be expecting it now.

edit: Also since I'm compiling the GFX, YCZ you might want to know that I don't have everything the exact same as what people have made, since some I've made from screenshots. So if you have any GFX files can you send them to me so I can make sure I have the correct origional GFX.

Unless you plan on just copy pasting things from the files I'm compiling to the .bins, in that case just tell me. Although now I'm actually compiling them ready to insert, rather than a whole ton of files, and not adding downvoted stuff or whatever.

Also I did not add the NoSpriteTile Limits patch because It's really confusing. I can't tell if it even has a RATS tag or what and what to do with it, you'll need to patch it separately. Sorry. But I have formatted it to a freespace already defined to come directly after where ASMT.ASM is patched. And ASMT.ASM is prepointed to what I think will be a freespace, but you might want to check. (308000). Also not that if you do have to change it, change it to another SNES address ending in 8000 and you can just change the first two numbers of the freespace I set in nospritetile limits to correspond with that.

Also I have tested it for insertion, but not ever single patch o see if they all work. The few that pop up riht away in a clean rom did seem to work alright, and there were no major glitches or problems or anything. So it seems perfectly OK to patch.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Kil

Post by Kil »

chdata wrote: The POW patch by Kil. Although I remember finding a bug in it anyways.

The Noteblocks patch by Kil - I think there was a bug somewhere to involving it unable to play songs above 50 (with the blocks) and I still need to ask him about it so I haven't added it yet. When we can clear that I'll be adding it in my bonus level since he decided it was ok.
Pretty sure the POW patch needs to be added to whatever status bar routines we have or the game will instantly crash. Also, so long as people don't use starmen around p switches, there shouldn't be a problem. If they do, then it just has to be disabled for their level.

Also there's a bug playing songs above 50? You sure it's not that the "max songs" is set too low? I couldn't figure out why songs weren't playing until I remembered it myself; it won't play any songs past like #$38 by default.

One bug I do know with it is that it can't handle overworld music. Actually, each overworld song has a number attached with it, so when you hear it, it actually unlocks that # of the level music. So if you hear overworld music 1, it unlocks some other level song that shares the same number. This isn't so bad really because all the OW music uses lowish numbers that you will most definitely have unlocked already.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Oh there was a limit lol.

So if I just change it to "9F" which is the max amount of songs for Romi's addmusic, would there be any problems? I mean does it have to be THE last song?

Kil

Post by Kil »

I think if you change it really high it might make it take longer when you go from the last song to the first song by like 1-2 seconds but that's it. Probably.

Also we should probably add something where you can hold L or R or something to skip forward 5-10 songs, maybe.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I say don't worry about the 1-2 second wait. I don't think it matters much. So Kil... do you know SPC7000 ASM?

Also a list of stuff currently in the patch...

;;Included are...;;
;;Hex edits;;
;;Controller Hijack Patch;;
;;Custom Mario Palette;;
;;Fadefix;;
;;LevelASM;;
;;TimeUpFix;;
;;T83Fix;;
;;Slower Torpedo Ted Animation;;
;;Mario Exgfx;;
;;Level Name Extension OW - Smallhacker;;
;;Pirahna Plant Fixes 1 & 2;;
;;NoteBlock Patch /unlimited music banks
;;Nospritetilelimits was NOT included because it was kinda confusing to me;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;Hex Edits List...;;
;;Mega Mole Shopping Cart Palettes to Red;;
;;Spy Boo tile changes (Whatever you have only use these. Don't fix the reflecting stream.;;
;;Fire Flower Flip Stop;;
;;Death Bat Ceiling;;
;;Rex Yoshi Head Displacement;;
;;Tile 83 Fix;;

Last but not least I did some ASM for the overworld to change the music, and force you to enter the stars... but I can't finish it yet since I need the OW. There's a few things I'll have to specially set up for it to work. (It won't change how anything works or looks at all)

edit: Something somewhere went haywire and I can't go through pipes without crashing the game... I'll try and figure it out. Here's what I've got so far, so if you think you can debug it faster than me go ahead. Also when you beat the level it gets all WoOoOoOoOoOoOo which I think is being caused by fadefix.
Compilation.zip

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

chdata wrote:FastROM or DSX (I assume fastrom since it seems we won't be using dynamic sprites anyways)
I also have the Japanese HiFast.asm patch that makes it faster.
If we can get it to work with all the other stuff we are using, FastROM.

Layer 3 exgfx just for my teleporter thing (I assume you'll still say no)
You are correct.

Counter Break Y Patch - I doubt we're using this now... but are we?
Yes, we are.

Time Up Fix - Patch or... you mentioned a single hex edit?
Go with the patch, as I believe the hex edit disables the message entirely.

Reznor fix patch -Chibikko made this to fix a bug with the custom reznor battles... but I remember somewhere there was apparently a hex edit for it... should I add this patch or just not and know YCZ has the hex edit.
I don't have the hex edit right now, but I could most likely easily find it in all.log.

The POW patch by Kil. Although I remember finding a bug in it anyways.
What is this?

vertBgScrollFix - Fixes appearance of background garbage in vertical levels by setting the vertical scroll by one. Not sure if anyones using this although one of my sublevel things I really wanted to add to the void sorta needs it.
Again, I'm kind of opposed to applying patches for single levels. Why not just set the scrolling rate to None?

The Boss Patch Chibikko made for a Teleporter Slot to be an SMW Boss Rush, where you fight each boss in a row. (I think it should only be done if no one signs up for enough of the teleporters)
This still doesn't seem like a very good idea to me... Everyone has fought the SMW bosses countless times already.

Also just to confrim... YCZ what's your take on the idea of one teleporter taking you back to the same room and counting as a passed teleporter, alot of people seem to be expecting it now.
If we don't have enough people signing up, this could be thrown in as filler.

edit: Also since I'm compiling the GFX, YCZ you might want to know that I don't have everything the exact same as what people have made, since some I've made from screenshots. So if you have any GFX files can you send them to me so I can make sure I have the correct origional GFX.
I don't think that I have anything that haven't been already posted in the graphics thread.
chdata wrote:and force you to enter the stars
I still don't see any point to this at all.
kilon

Post by kilon »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:
chdata wrote:The POW patch by Kil. Although I remember finding a bug in it anyways.
What is this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2sAXFywX5w

Basically have the music for the P-switch play over the music of the level without interrupting it.
Chdata know what bug he found, I thought it had to do with pressing a p switch while another p switch was still running?
Last edited by kilon 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kil

Post by Kil »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: The Boss Patch Chibikko made for a Teleporter Slot to be an SMW Boss Rush, where you fight each boss in a row. (I think it should only be done if no one signs up for enough of the teleporters)
This still doesn't seem like a very good idea to me... Everyone has fought the SMW bosses countless times already.
Yeah, every koopa kid and vanilla boss is beyond boring and they seem to be hated all around. I can't stand them either. I am making a boss, but I dunno if it'll be finished. I haven't noticed anyone signing up for teleporters (and it's tough to make stuff at that scale), which worries me. Maybe we should decrease the number of teleports to fit the supply.
Chdata

Re: Patch Compilation - Nearly Finished!

Post by Chdata »

and force you to enter the stars
I still don't see any point to this at all.

Actually part of the code depends on it right now. For changing the music.

edit:
I don't have the hex edit right now, but I could most likely easily find it in all.log.

Do you use the ROM map?
Couldn't we change
x1D91B $03:D71B 1 byte Misc. Number of Reznors killed before bridge begins breaking
To something like "05"
Because I think the bridge only appears when you actually use the level setting for it.

Ok researching my problems with the patch, the things that seem to do the most damage are fadefix and the two pirahna plant fix patches. The two pirahna patches seem to have to be pointed to freespace (checking the ROM map they were pointed to seemingly unused data)
But I tried changing that and I got this... ERROR

edit: Yep it's those three patches. Removing the pirahna plant patches fixed the crashing when entering pipes. Although I think it was only number two so I'll try again.
And Fadefix is what caused the levelending to flash ugly colors.

Have not tested FastROM or Nospritetile limits yet with all this stuff.
Also here's some info Roy said...

FastROM is just about incompatible with everything, even with tools (BlockTool and SpriteTool). This is why it should only be applied on a clean ROM.
Although... compared to HiFast, FastROM really does little. HiFast wouldn't be compatible with anything at all, since it changes every single JSL in the SMW ROM.

edit: I was right, the problem was the second pirahna plant fix patch. Whoever made it didn't know that JSL label takes up 4 bytes and that caused error. I think I'm going to submit a version with a fixed freespace thing.

Chdata

Re: Patch Compilation - To Fadefix or not to Fadefix

Post by Chdata »

Well now the only problem is Fadefix.
It causes CRAZY color flashing.

Will post codes soon. Cuz I can't quite figure out the wrongness.

edit: Redownloaded and reincluded the patch and it works.

It seems I'm finished... well except for fastrom and nospritetile.

List of stuffs in the patch
Hex edits
Controller Hijack Patch
Fadefix
LevelASM
TimeUpFix
T83Fix
Slower Torpedo Ted Animation
Mario Exgfx - NO CASTLE DESTRUCTION ERRORS NOW DON'T WORRY
Pirahna Plant Fixes 1 & 2
Extended Level Names This patch messses up some of the palettes of OW Mario
Counter Break Yoshi

Will be used but is disincluded / might be included soon.
Nospritetilelimits
Fastrom
JukeBlocks

VideoGuy

Re: Patch Compilation - now almost finished

Post by VideoGuy »

Man, that reminded me of that one level in SMB3 where you could go behind the ground and all sprite interaction was disabled. Except that was intentional. Also, the color flashing is hilarious. It almost seems like "The level is done, let's party!"
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

The compilation is now finished.

List of stuffs in the patch
Hex edits
Controller Hijack Patch
Fadefix
LevelASM
TimeUpFix
T83Fix
Slower Torpedo Ted Animation
Mario Exgfx
Pirahna Plant Fixes 1 & 2
Extended Level Names
Counter Break Yoshi
FastROM
Nospritetilelimits

Just patch ASMT.asm to the rom.

Note - Kil's Jukeblock patch was NOT added because he/we'll need to manually exclude songs using sample banks.

randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

chdata wrote: T83Fix
Wit, noob question, what's wrong with tile 83?
- randoguy101
Chdata

Re: Patch Compilation - FINISHED!!

Post by Chdata »

If you have Koopa graphics that use a normally empty sprite tile, various other sprites will show that tile in a glitchy way.
This includes
Jumpin Pirahna Plants
Springboards
Bonus Game Tic Tac Toe
Score

randoguy101
spicey tomato

Re: Patch Compilation - FINISHED!!

Post by randoguy101 »