(shouting)

Sprite / Block request thread

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
crushawake

Sprite / Block request thread

Post by crushawake »

Orright, say you wanted a custom block/sprite, and either didn't know how (there is a tutorial) or couldn't be bothered (lazy). Just say here what you wanted it to be! Here is the template for what you want:
Blocks:
What you want it to do when -

Mario hits it from the top:
Mario hits it from the bottom:
Mario hits it from a side:
A sprite hits it from the sides:
A sprite hits it from above/below:
A fireball hits it:
The cape hits it:

Sprites:
Name:
Size: (As in, how big it is. 16x16, 16x32, 32x16, 32x32.)
Alternate effects / actions:

Yeah, i'll do my best to answer all and any requests put to me. Just don't make it VERY complicated, like "I want it to spawn like 30 sprites at a time while shooting fireballs everywhere!". I doubt ANYONE on this forum can make Carol stuff, so yeah.
Last edited by crushawake 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
Chdata

Re: Sprite / Block request thread

Post by Chdata »

Blocks:
What you want it to do when -

Mario hits it from the top: nothing
Mario hits it from the bottom: It shakes the screen and plays an explosion noise, and shows explosion graphics. You might need to make some kind of custom sprite for the explosion?
Mario hits it from a side: nothing
A sprite hits it from the sides: nothing
A sprite hits it from above/below: nothing
A fireball hits it: nothing
The cape hits it: nothing
The explosion I'd like it to use is the one from GFX2D
also afterwards it should turn into a brown used block (It's gonna look like a normal coin question block)
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

Okay, for your explosion block, you will need to copy the BOOM! tiles and put them in your level's tileset, as I am CLUELESS about drawing stuff dynamically from other files. Other than that, i'm working on it now.
If you need a hand with Mario Romhacking in some way, feel free to PM me. I'll try and answer. <3
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yep.
Also if possible can the explosion use sp3?

Personalness

Post by Personalness »

Mario hits it from the top: hurt you unless you land on it with a spin jump (like a spiny)
Mario hits it from the bottom:hurt you
Mario hits it from a side: hurt you
A sprite hits it from the sides:act like block 130
A sprite hits it from above/below:act like 130

If there is already a block like this, please tell me.
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Sounds like this one.

No Spin or Star Hurt Block
Added: 2008-05-03 10:22:24 AM If the Blocktool offsets are right, you bounce off from the top - complete with clicking graphic and sound -, and the sides will hurt you. When Mario has star powers, it will act like whatever it's set like. Roy
Submitted by: Roy 0.7 KB Download
Downloaded 111 times.

http://www.smwcentral.net/download.php? ... ype=blocks
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

thats exactly what i needed, thanks!
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

As you may or may not know, SMWCentral has started a project to disassemble every single sprite in the Super Mario World ROM. I have already made some contributions to this project, and as I am now done adapting the sprites I had commented earlier, I am now taking requests for disassemblies, if you would wish to make edited versions or just study the source code. Just don't request the Koopa Kids, Bowser, or Reznor, as Mode 7 is kind of beyond my capabilities... And the same thing goes for the various scrolling commands.

Also, please check the project thread before making a request, so that noone else has either claimed the sprite or already finished disassembling it.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Offtopic but, is mode 7 really that hard? Roy and maxx from SMWC have written stuff about it although I mostly skimmed over it the first time. I also read carol's ASM documents but they don't mention mode7.

I heard something about a mode7 image data format somewhere, which sort of scares me.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
SeaThief

Post by SeaThief »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:And the same thing goes for the various scrolling commands.
Do you mean the BG, FG, or both? Because I wanted a version of the fast-scrolling BG sprite that didn't need the white platform sprite to work.
big_drums

Post by big_drums »

Block

Mario hits it from the top:

If there exists a big yoshi in the level it'll destroy
itself and put a moon on the spot where it was

Mario hits it from the bottom: nothing
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

big_drums wrote:...Mario hits it from the top:

I don't know how to change the block into a moon but making it act like one was easy. Since the player is already on top of the block, it will disappear in a fraction of second anyways. This is what the block does:

Yoshi is loose and Demo is not riding it (ignoring baby Yoshi): act like a moon.
Demo is riding Yoshi: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.
No (adult) Yoshi exists: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.
Anything else: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
big_drums

Post by big_drums »

Chibikko wrote:
big_drums wrote:...Mario hits it from the top:

I don't know how to change the block into a moon but making it act like one was easy. Since the player is already on top of the block, it will disappear in a fraction of second anyways. This is what the block does:

Yoshi is loose and Demo is not riding it (ignoring baby Yoshi): act like a moon.
Demo is riding Yoshi: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.
No (adult) Yoshi exists: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.
Anything else: act like the "act like" setting in Lunar Magic.

Thanks!
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

SeaThief wrote:Because I wanted a version of the fast-scrolling BG sprite that didn't need the white platform sprite to work.
That can be easily done with a hex edit:
ROM Map wrote:2C9BC - 3 bytes - Change to A9 08 EA and the background will start scrolling fast with generator F4 without having to touch platform C1
(Also, sorry for the late reply.)
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

I don't know whether I'll need it yet, but is it possible to make an ON/OFF activating Triangle?
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:I don't know whether I'll need it yet, but is it possible to make an ON/OFF activating Triangle?
I made it anyways. It is fully commented and can work while ON or OFF, and right facing or left. Make sure to put the assist block under it. The triangle acts like 1B4 (left) or 1B5 (right) and the assist acts like 1EB.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Chibikko wrote:
Tails_155 wrote:I don't know whether I'll need it yet, but is it possible to make an ON/OFF activating Triangle?
I made it anyways. It is fully commented and can work while ON or OFF, and right facing or left. Make sure to put the assist block under it. The triangle acts like 1B4 (left) or 1B5 (right) and the assist acts like 1EB.
I can't get it to function, it just keeps acting as a solid block (I adjusted it to "Act like 1B5")

New question, is it possible to make a block that can only hold items? (specifically, Keys, can a keys-only-set-on-this block exist?)
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I no longer care about an explosion block, I think I found a custom sprite that does that pretty much. SCORPIONS nitro crate.

But now I think I could use a custom block that...
16x16
If the ON/OFF switch is ON, this block will kill you if touched on any sides, and act like a grey cement block to sprites.
If the ON/OFF switch is OFF, this block will act like whatever it's set to in the map16 page. OR just act as a grey cement block.

And one that does the exact opposite as that.

Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:...I can't get it to function, it just keeps acting as a solid block (I adjusted it to "Act like 1B5")

New question, is it possible to make a block that can only hold items? (specifically, Keys, can a keys-only-set-on-this block exist?)
I heard you got it to work after remembering [F9]. As for the other one, here it is. Act like 25.
chdata wrote:I no longer care about an explosion block, I think I found a custom sprite that does that pretty much. SCORPIONS nitro crate.

But now I think I could use a custom block that...
16x16
If the ON/OFF switch is ON, this block will kill you if touched on any sides, and act like a grey cement block to sprites.
If the ON/OFF switch is OFF, this block will act like whatever it's set to in the map16 page. OR just act as a grey cement block.

And one that does the exact opposite as that.
What is this explosion block you speak of? Anyways, the request is done. I should note that the glitch when touching the corner of the block is something with every custom block. I included a patch which fixes this, but I did not make it.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

DO NOT MAKE THIS SERIES IF IT IS POSSIBLE (yet)

Is it possible to make something that functions like this?

The screw is one half/one quarter unscrewed on a spinjump, and you bounce like you spin jumped a turnblock or something, and once the screw separates, the block falls, and would be caught by the other block

When it falls it would function like a falling spike (if one could even get below it)

The stationary spring, if below the other block, would function as a ceiling spike

If so, I will consider a use for it, but I don't want it made yet in case I can't use it (as it'd waste other peoples' time...)
Attachments
ScrewIdea.zip
(9.46 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:DO NOT MAKE THIS SERIES IF IT IS POSSIBLE (yet)
The screw is one half/one quarter unscrewed on a spinjump, and you bounce like you spin jumped a turnblock or something, and once the screw separates, the block falls, and would be caught by the other block
When it falls it would function like a falling spike (if one could even get below it)
The stationary spring, if below the other block, would function as a ceiling spike
If so, I will consider a use for it, but I don't want it made yet in case I can't use it (as it'd waste other peoples' time...)
It would work better for the screw to be a custom sprite for the beginning. It starts frozen and moves after collision via spin jump (perhaps needing an invisible block to check this). It should be possible to make it budge slightly on the first hit or two and then fall after the third. The sprite would be custom based on the disassembly of a falling spike which could be changed to use the right graphics and hit-box (32x16 with enough frames of animation). When the custom block underneath is hit by that sprite then the sprite stops, including its animation. The block would be underneath the land the player walks on so the screw wouldn't stop until it partially goes into the ground, and the block could act like whatever for when the player hits it. That would take some work but I think it is possible.

Disclaimer of sorts: Regardless of how this thing is to be coded, blocks do not move. There will need to be a custom spite involved and only 12 sprites (max) can be processed at once, including the fallen ones. Keep this in mind when thinking of a use for it. Also, certain conditions (i.e. the ON/OFF switch, powerups, kill other sprites, etc.) can be activated when the screw lands on the block.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Chibikko wrote:
Tails_155 wrote:DO NOT MAKE THIS SERIES IF IT IS POSSIBLE (yet)
It would work better for the screw to be a custom sprite for the beginning. It starts frozen and moves after collision via spin jump (perhaps needing an invisible block to check this). It should be possible to make it budge slightly on the first hit or two and then fall after the third. The sprite would be custom based on the disassembly of a falling spike which could be changed to use the right graphics and hit-box (32x16 with enough frames of animation). When the custom block underneath is hit by that sprite then the sprite stops, including its animation. The block would be underneath the land the player walks on so the screw wouldn't stop until it partially goes into the ground, and the block could act like whatever for when the player hits it. That would take some work but I think it is possible.

Disclaimer of sorts: Regardless of how this thing is to be coded, blocks do not move. There will need to be a custom spite involved and only 12 sprites (max) can be processed at once, including the fallen ones. Keep this in mind when thinking of a use for it. Also, certain conditions (i.e. the ON/OFF switch, powerups, kill other sprites, etc.) can be activated when the screw lands on the block.
I need to be more patient and practice ASM XP

but it is hypothetically possible? (And I was aware it would have to be sprites, since blocks don't function that way)

Would all sprites be able to walk on the block, or just Mario, I know that sprite/blocks (info block) enemies walk through, etc.
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

Tails_155 wrote:...I need to be more patient and practice ASM XP

but it is hypothetically possible? (And I was aware it would have to be sprites, since blocks don't function that way)

Would all sprites be able to walk on the block, or just Mario, I know that sprite/blocks (info block) enemies walk through, etc.
It should all be possible. Only the custom sprite would have the unique interaction and the other sprites would interact differently. They could walk on it or not. They could even die if they touched it or change into something else. ASM is all powerful.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Chibikko wrote:
Tails_155 wrote:...I need to be more patient and practice ASM XP

It should all be possible. Only the custom sprite would have the unique interaction and the other sprites would interact differently. They could walk on it or not. They could even die if they touched it or change into something else. ASM is all powerful.
Heh, it'd make a good puzzle, but I wouldn't know where to start (puzzle or ASM XP)
crushawake

Post by crushawake »

So, let me get this right:
You want a 16x32 screw which, when spin-jumped on, moved upwards. When done (for example) 4 times, the screw falls down and dies?