(shouting)

Testing and Level Discussion

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
flameofdoubt

Re: Testing and Level Discussion

Post by flameofdoubt »

I might be able to explain that...The way the n00b's custom boss (the sprite I've modified) works is that it does different actions at different HP values. So at 'full health', 7HP, I made it do nothing and be a normal metroid. Then it spawns a missile on itself randomly which puts it to 6HP, where it rises and changes the music. Then it spawns one again and goes to 5HP, where it starts floating around and you have to kill it. The thing is that when it gets hurt by itself it acts in the exact same way as when it gets hurt by you, so will flash and make noises.

Does that explain the "out of nowhere" hits you were experiencing?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Yeah, it probably does. I was just a little confused when they started spewing throwblock crumbs out of nowhere. Then just ignore everything I said and keep on trying fixing those other bugs.
kilon

Post by kilon »

I like it. The unpredictable movement only helps in my opinion.
The wrapping around the tiles is a bit irritating, but given the unpredictable movement, you can somewhat explain it.

The only irritating thing is the weird hit detection of the shell. When you walk into it from the outside, you stop quite far from the thing.

And the 3 metroids where fun to fight too, despite the getting stuck. If you could manage to fix that, it might be a good second phase of the battle, despite the slowdown.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Last edited by Kil 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Kil wrote:due to technical difficulties this boss is done early http://www.sendspace.com/file/7xmmgw
Make a video.

I just played it and It's an awesome boss. Although that part where you have the darkness covering the area and Rumia drops a shell.............I just think she shouldn't be firing when the shell drops.
Kil

Post by Kil »

that part is not so bad if you use the secret hug the wall strategy while occasionally jumping

actually, the shell should be dropping about 6 seconds earlier... fixed it
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

Yeah, awesome boss, really, but the very end feels tedious, I spent way too long trying to find the shell AND dodge stuff. Just seems a bit unfair to me...

(Also if you jump high enough you can see Demo's hair, intended or not? Not that it makes much difference but I thought I'd mention it)
Kil

Post by Kil »

well yeah but jumping that high is way too dangerous anyway
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

oh btw kil, did you make castle five as well, or just this boss for castle 5?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Personally I saw the shell just fine, I think it's distinguishable enough from the bullets, and since that bit above the blackness is your only reference you're focusing intently on it.

Wow though, Kil, that is a very polished fight (all the special effects and neat touches are done very well!), and possibly the closest thing to touhou I've seen inside SMW's engine, great work.

I'd be interested to hear what the technical difficulties you faced were because that implies this fight was intended to be even better.

Have you considered 'standardising' between your's and YCZ's setups? Keep the bullets different yes, but his could have the same style of health bar (though his is a survival of course) and yours could have the spell card names in the top right, suggesting continuity between the bosses.

(also edit in light of new posts): I don't think the ending is tedious at all unless you use savestates. If you've played through all the way to the end and could die at any second and such there's a very tense feeling, since you really, REALLY don't want to hit one of those bullets.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Daarkbuu wrote:oh btw kil, did you make castle five as well, or just this boss for castle 5?
I have no idea who made castle 5, lol. All I know is it has a big boo right now and big boos are horrible
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Lupinius made the Cave World Castle (keep wanting to call it the dark world for some reason, weird).
Kil

Post by Kil »

flameofdoubt wrote:Personally I saw the shell just fine, I think it's distinguishable enough from the bullets, and since that bit above the blackness is your only reference you're focusing intently on it.

Wow though, Kil, that is a very polished fight (all the special effects and neat touches are done very well!), and possibly the closest thing to touhou I've seen inside SMW's engine, great work.

I'd be interested to hear what the technical difficulties you faced were because that implies this fight was intended to be even better.

Have you considered 'standardising' between your's and YCZ's setups? Keep the bullets different yes, but his could have the same style of health bar (though his is a survival of course) and yours could have the spell card names in the top right, suggesting continuity between the bosses.

(also edit in light of new posts): I don't think the ending is tedious at all unless you use savestates. If you've played through all the way to the end and could die at any second and such there's a very tense feeling, since you really, REALLY don't want to hit one of those bullets.
I would've liked to add spellcard names but I'm not sure how that was done. (I'm guessing it's something on layer 3?) Also I'm just too sick and tired of coding to do the second half. I wanted to do a lot of stuff with the warp window thing you saw at the beginning and a lot more interesting attacks
kilon

Post by kilon »

Very interesting boss.
The first three hits where relatively easy once you get the hang of the pattern, but the darkness was a nice added touch.

Only thing, when you die the balls disappear. Is that planned or some technical error?
Kil

Post by Kil »

Yeah I'm not sure if I can fix that with the way I programmed the bullets. I cut everything unnecessary out of them so they wouldn't cause any slowdown
kilon

Post by kilon »

Oh, and because it wasn't locked, I played the MONDO stage as well. Or at least the normal exit (I believe there's a secret exit as well)
Clever. Really challenging with those bounce sprites too.

And now I won't play through the rest even though there might be more out there.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

For spellcard names, add this routine somewhere and JSR to it when you want the name to appear.

Code: Select all

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Layer 3 upload routine, for spellcard name
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

SPELLCARD_NAME:		REP #$30
			LDA $7F837B
			TAX
			SEP #$20
			LDY #$0000
LOOP_START:		PHX
			TYX
			LDA.l NAME,x
			PLX
			STA $7F837D,x
			INX
			INY
			CPY.w #NAMEEND-NAME
			BNE LOOP_START
			REP #$30
			LDA $7F837B
			CLC
			ADC.w #NAMEEND-NAME-$01
			STA $7F837B
			SEP #$30
			LDX $15E9
			RTS

NAME:			db $53,$EF,$00,$1D		; properties for tile table
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $0D,$38			; D
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $19,$38			; P
			db $1D,$38			; T
			db $0E,$38			; E
			db $0D,$38			; D
			db $FC,$38			;
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $1B,$38			; R
			db $0C,$38			; C
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $17,$38			; N
			db $1E,$38			; U
			db $16,$38			; M

db $58,$09,$00,$29		; second row
			db $86,$38			; "
			db $0D,$38			; D
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $17,$38			; N
			db $16,$38			; M
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $14,$38			; K
			db $1E,$38			; U
			db $FC,$38			;
			db $0A,$38			; A
			db $12,$38			; I
			db $16,$38			; M
			db $0E,$38			; E
			db $0D,$38			; D
			db $FC,$38			;
			db $0F,$38			; F
			db $12,$38			; I
			db $0E,$38			; E
			db $15,$38			; L
			db $0D,$38			; D
			db $86,$38			; "
			db $FF				; end
NAMEEND:
As for the name tiles themselves, $00-$7F are GFX28 and $80-$FF are GFX29. The $38s are tile properties in YXPCCCTT format, and the table rows with four bytes are the table properties for the stripe image format.
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

flameofdoubt wrote:(also edit in light of new posts): I don't think the ending is tedious at all unless you use savestates. If you've played through all the way to the end and could die at any second and such there's a very tense feeling, since you really, REALLY don't want to hit one of those bullets.
I'm pretty tired and probably grumpy right now that could be why I found it tedious. I kept missing and had to get the shell back over and over...

Also, I think savestating would do more harm than good there, haha.
Kil

Post by Kil »

I will probably add some spellcard names then
Kil

Post by Kil »

kilon wrote:Oh, and because it wasn't locked, I played the MONDO stage as well. Or at least the normal exit (I believe there's a secret exit as well)
Clever. Really challenging with those bounce sprites too.

And now I won't play through the rest even though there might be more out there.
Yeah I needed a sprite that could do something other than kill you, because you're too vulnerable so often in that level.

There's actually a lot of random levels in the level to the right.
Kil

Post by Kil »

also here's a video if youre like me and too lazy to patch roms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPwcDL3tSM

I died of course
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Kind of a moot point but you don't even have to patch it these days, just have a same-named .smc file in the same folder as your .ips and load the .smc. ZSNES will do the work for you.

EDIT: Also Kil, looking at the video have you fixed Rumia's flashing since you uploaded the test ips? When I patched that ips to a clean rom Rumia flashed weird colours when she got hit, rather than a clean white outline.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Oh god. That is one amazing boss battle you have there.

Out of curiosity, are those bullets cluster sprites?
Kil

Post by Kil »

No but I really should have used them. I didn't know anything about them at the time though. My bullets are just regular sprites running stripped down collision-detection and gfx routines. Still, I can't get more than 9-10 of them going at once this way.

PS guys I tried making the black screen a tiny bit smaller so that you can see 1 pixel of demo's feet, and it is actually a lot more fun that way. You can also sort of see the shell. I guess I'll leave it that way.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Kil wrote:also here's a video if youre like me and too lazy to patch roms
link
That was awesome with a capital awesome.

AWESOME.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!