(shouting)

Testing and Level Discussion

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Testing and Level Discussion

Post by Argumentable »

Testing is an essential part of the level making process. If you are not going to test your levels, you probably shouldn't be making them in the first place.

Post stuff here to test/discuss, either a video of the level, or an IPS to play it, or maybe both, who knows!

If you're commenting on a level, be more informative about what you like and what you think should be changed. Suggesting alternatives to things you don't like is good. Basically, be constructive with your criticism

---------------------------------------------

Anyway, from the general discussion or whatever thread, here's mine again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNPQNODk73M

I'm looking mostly for basic level progression feedback. Someone on youtube mentioned some graphics need a touchup, but I've also been told they're fine by others. I'm talking about the snails and the bees (someone keeps trying to get me to change the thwomps but I don't know to what) so if you have ideas for graphic swapping tell me that.
dazedouji wrote:As far as the castle's boss, has it already been suggested to add some of the Beeries flying in and out of the fight, and possibly also some other mooks? I don't know if that presents a difficulty as far as sprite limit or the fight itself, but if it's possible, it seems simple enough.
I'm still working on the boss, I will probably need help or have to change him. I'm 99% certain the sprite I have from SMWC doesn't call upon the level ending sequence like I've seen other boss sprites do. I don't know anything about editting the file, I'm hoping somebody can help me on that to make it end the level when he is beaten, then I can add in some eerie shooters and/or generators. The way its set up now is that if there's an eerie on the screen when the boss is beaten, the level won't end. I'm still tooling with it.

Also if you music makers wanna make a song for it that'd be cool, I don't know if I care to much for the castle theme
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Kil

Re: Testing and Level Discussion

Post by Kil »

I like the 2nd background.

Also if you have a midi of some music you want for that stage, I'm willing to convert it.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

No, I don't really have anything in mind. I'm not following the music making thread since I know nothing about it, I wasn't sure if people were itching to get some of their music into the hack or not. If nothing turns up I might just grab something off SMWC (if I can figure out addmusic)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

My level is verrrrrry in progress, but i mainly ask for testing because i've got to the point that i'm trying to do two ideas in one level, and i'm worried that they're clashing. I still need to FINISH the level but i'd like to know how well my secondary idea fits the original idea of "messageboxes everywhere" before i make any more progress. The 'original' version of my level is exactly the same but without the boss or references to the boss. Which would be better, with or without?

(ips removed because it was broken, see below for working)
Last edited by flameofdoubt 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Why don't you guys just use the forum upload system.....it's a lot more convenient then these download sites...
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I keep forgetting i can do that, thanks i'll try and remember in future.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

My graphics get all messed up when I patch it. Is it just me?
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

I'm looking for feedback on how hard my level is, because I'm kinda worried its too easy.

insert the map16 file into page 5 for it to work properly.
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Its kind of hard to judge difficulty by looking at it in lunar magic. Either make a video of a playthrough or an IPS patch for playtesting please. I can't be bothered to assemble it all myself and I'm sure other people are just as lazy as I am
Last edited by Argumentable 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

If you're talking about mine Argumentable we must have different "clean" roms. I thought mine was clean but i might've screwed it up by extracting it's graphics so i had a spare set...hmm actually that sounds exactly like what the problem is, so i'll need to go back and get my old, cleaner rom.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah, I was talking about yours. I know my ROM is clean (at least I guess it is) because I've used it for everything else I've bothered testing.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Here we go:
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I know you said its in progress, but I'm gonna nitpick anyway

I don't like the left pit, cause its not a pit. Knowing it wasn't, I tried jumping in the right and died

I don't know what's going on here but a lot of stuff doesn't spawn. I guess its fixed with the patches, but I still figured I'd point it out

Speaking of which, I don't know why that section is even there? You can just jump over everything and go in these holes (which may or may not be the purpose)

Or I can just glitch through the ground here and skip everything

This jump is impossible while big

Also the jump you have to make off the enemy is glitchy maybe? I don't know if the enemy is supposed to respawn but it usually doesn't for me. A reset pipe might be a good idea.

It seems pretty decent so far, just needs a bit of work
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

could you please tell me how to make it an ips patch?
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

You have to get Lunar IPS.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

The left pit isn't a pit, it has a goomba that didn't spawn in it.

Yeah the testing without the patch is a little harder, but mostly for me it seemed to load all the stuff you need to do the level.

Holes like that contain un-spawned message boxes. You wouldn't be able to get through normally.

How exactly do you glitch through the ground? That is one thing i need to address.

The jump is possible when big, just contrived, you have to go up and to the left, and duck-jump-slide off the edge.

The enemy does seem pretty bad at respawning. I'd put in a reset pipe but i'd need a secondary entrance, and i wasn't sure if that would take up a sub-level space...somehow? So i was nervous about putting pipes in as they'd send you back to the very start which isn't nice. Can you tell me how i pick a secondary entrance without messing up everyone else's day and if it messes with sub-levels?

Thanks for the input, i was hoping to gauge the reaction to who the enemy is and whether the level is incosistent because of it. Any thoughts on that?
kilon

Post by kilon »

flameofdoubt wrote:Here we go:
Ehrm... do you actually need a completed clean rom? Because I couldn't ever bother to complete it and when I open it Donut plains 1 and 2 aren't changed. And I don't feel like checking to see what level actually is changed.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

with glitch trough the ground I think he means get into a tight spot while big and start spin jumping and you will get trough the ledge.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

That's wierd Kilon, donut plains 1, right after Iggy's castle, that's the level i modified. You should be able to get it straight off with the save file i included.

And Machoman, thanks, now i just need to think of a way to solve that problem...i'm not sure i can think of a way because i don't want to cut off access to that gap for "aesthetic purposes" so i may just cheat and say "It's up to your own conscience to not cheat" or some such.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I know there's a goomba in it to show you, he spawns just fine. It still makes me think the other pit is not a pit at all.

I guess the unspawning thing will be fixed, as I stated before. Its still pretty odd

To glitch out you just duck and spin jump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZEJejuXuTk

Ok, so the jump might not be impossible, its still really annoying and I don't like it.

I'm sure you could get another secondary exit, just post in the level submissions asking for one and YCZ will give you one.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

kilon, as you see in the Zip file he sent, there's also a Save file (srm). You're rom must have the same name as that save file.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I was never sure about that second pit, i just worry that if i don't put in hard jumps like that it's not gonna match up to the nature of world 6, though i think it's the first level in it. I can plaster over it or raise everything up a tile so it's more obvious though.

Thanks for the video of the glitch.

Yeah i'm gonna remove it because it isn't very nice.

Are secondary exits by definition linked to sub levels, though? If so i could probably use one since i'm over the designated 84 sprite maximum for my level so far...
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

To make things easier, you might want to just edit the overworld to make yoshi's house lead to your level or something.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Beats me, I never had a secondary exit go into the same level. I think it might glitch out the level, but I also think there's some fix for that now.

And raising the non-pit a block would be fine
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

IPS-ified. go to yoshi's island 2 to play it.