(shouting)

Testing and Level Discussion

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
kilon

Re: Testing and Level Discussion

Post by kilon »

flameofdoubt wrote:Kind of a moot point but you don't even have to patch it these days, just have a same-named .smc file in the same folder as your .ips and load the .smc. ZSNES will do the work for you.
That's what I always do. Unless I want to see it in LM.

Also: about that Cementia level: one time one of the stone sprites didn't spawn. Could happen, but I'm just saying. Mostly to make this post somewhat relevant.
Kil

Post by Kil »

I had that problem once. It's because they very quickly can move off screen and despawn themselves. There's only 1 cement guy that is really able to despawn himself (unless you try hard), so I'll fix that part.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Someone go break my boss fight.

Also the actual room is not finished, I think I might put in a shell generator instead of a row of shells.

Also the music isn't final, Kil do you think you can port... one sec gotta find the midi.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Are the graphics meant to be all glitchy chdata?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

It's already broken and i didn't do anything!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Whooaaaa I didn't use a clean rom

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

quick suggestions: "wow are you sure it has enough hits?" also those little guys get really serious really quick, this is a hard fight i'd suggest throwing a couple of mushrooms in half way through. Also I'm trying but i haven't beaten the final 'form' yet.

EDIT: that didn't fix it at all?

EDIT: also don't use the shells, they kill each other and not the boss.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

The graphics are still glitched..

And when the water disapears he becomes impossible.. You can't jump over him because he will bombard you with leeks and you have no chance to hit him.

EDIT: Oh and when he turns into the second form and teleports from side to side, he hits the shells and hurts himself automatically
Last edited by Machoman 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Yeah that last form is......yeah... i'm not gonna beat it lets just say.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Weird I tested the patch. Must be something with my rom. I think it has a header since the file size is 513. And I think it's normally 512.

Now?

Also I'll work on making the last form easier.

Kil - That boss is amazing, but when you get hit by the black orbs I would change it so they don't all disapear suddenly, either in a puff of smoke or they just still show the tiles at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTz8isRxDxA
Video incase the ips still fails for some reason.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

This IPS should work, and I made the final form easier, and fixed a bug you guy's don't even know about.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

The final form is still too hard. He flashes when you spin jump on him so i spent ages jumping on him that way about 12 times before i gave up. Because of the way he affects your movement, you can't jump often enough to avoid him, and he moves so fast he will smash you almost immediately. Because the water disappears you can no longer reach the throw blocks to attack him with them, so not only can you not avoid him, you can't attack him either. I've tried picking up one of the left over bottom throwblocks but its just not feasible, and what if you used them all up first? Plus he takes FIVE hits from throwblocks to kill...just wow.

And now for the other main problem...the little enemies. They're instant contact death, can't be spinjumped on, and in the final form they're spammed just as much as fast as the boss is moving...can you do this yourself, chdata?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Err what? I thought I lowered the amount of objects it throws in the last form to like very little? Also spinjumping on top of it shouldn't make it flash or get hurt at all, what are you talking about?

Anyways I'll add something to generate projectiles. (Throw blocks shells and stuff)

kilon

Post by kilon »

I don't think it's that insanely difficult. Yes, it's really hard but it's in the endgame and the bosses are allowed to be difficult there. Plus there is definitely a pattern which you might be able to remember.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I have to say I disagree. You have significantly lowered the projectiles but they still fall in a very large arc and very quickly, so they cover an unpredictable and large area of the screen quicker than you can react. Whilst the pattern is very definite it's very cumulative; if you jump in time to avoid it once, odds are it'll hit just as you touch the ground, stop you moving, and then ram you.

Can either of you, kilon or chdata complete this boss without savestates?

Also are the little enemy projectiles supposed to be starmen? that could be lethally confusing.
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

I think it's much better now.

And if you get like 2 mushrooms it should be doable without savestates.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

That's a fair point, drop some mushrooms during the fight and it'll be much more doable.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I can beat it fairly easily. But there's another change I made to it which I'll upload soon. Just the first form.

Also right now is the one you guys are playing the one where it still shoots loads of projectiles in the last form, but only when it's away from you, or does it only shoot one or two at random intervals, because that's my current version.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

One or two at random intervals.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Oh well then that form's really easy for me right now, don't see how it can be hard other than getting screwed up if it stuns you.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Newest version of boss. I can do this savestateless. Although last form is more difficult now.
Attachments
asmt.zip
(391.54 KiB) Downloaded 115 times

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

This is really good now. The last hits are hard to get off by significantly easier. The little enemies still move too fast I think, since if you're anywhere above it when it randomly decides to fire you don't have enough time to move, but I know it has to be that fast so it goes high enough.

The only real problem I have with it now is that you're using the starman graphic, is that the final graphic for those things? It looks misleading and doesn't really match the jellyfish well, I thought they were going to be little jellyfish or something I'll be honest.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I was planning on drawing spark balls like in MML2 but they didn't turn out good, so I think I want to draw jellies.

Kil: You should disable flight in Rumia's arena.

STZ $149F

Also at some positions that paralax scrolling causes some cutoff on the stars.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

asmt.zip
(390.44 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Ok I'm pretty happy with this version of the boss and I think this'll be it other than the main gfx and music.

Explanation of forms:
First: Just like in MML2 it floats around slowly chasing you spawning littly jellies
Second: completely random idea with both vert and horz screen wrap
Last: In MML2 you can fight they jellies without water but with higher gravity and they just sit there spamming sparks into the air. (so they don't bash around but I figured in that game if you were to slide one it'd be like playing pool lol.) When they don't spawn they're invincible. Although it'd be harsh to give the player low gravity and spam.

Hey did you know you can JSL to code stored in ram via hex. (like JSL $7E1243 if there was an LDA #$01 STA $19 written in hex at that spot it gets run.)
Just thought it was interesting.

Kil

Post by Kil »

chdata wrote: Also at some positions that paralax scrolling causes some cutoff on the stars.
yes but I thought I disabled vertical scrolling so that should be impossible
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.