(shouting)

Testing and Level Discussion

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Chdata

Re: Testing and Level Discussion

Post by Chdata »

Well just not in the hub sublevel with Rumia and a few of your other levels in it.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Chdata: A couple of problems still, the second form is very easy compared to the final one, as you can just wait around for his scrolling to hit the shells anyway. Related to that, when you kill the boss you have to then go kill the shells to "win" which I always thought was anti-climactic at the end of bosses.

Also I still think that the final form is too hard. Not because of the earthquakeing, (which i personally can't cope with and kills me easily, but is a challenge) but because the jellyfish are random and fast. You can be stood on a platform and just be unlucky enough that the passing big jellyfish fires upwards and then you're dead. There's no way to predict or dodge this, you can only try and keep away so that that doesn't happen, which is even harder, at least for me.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yea I was meaning to fix the second form. I'm thinking of making the main boss reflect off of walls, shoot some more bullets than normal which still do screen wrap, and make sure if reflects below the shells. Then the last form, I think the two lower forms are slightly safer to stand on just keep moving. But I'll try removing the JSR Spawnsprite that happens randomly regardless of your xpos since it's too hard for you.

And the first form will be sped up.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Phase 2 of the KC final boss fight. Any thoughts?
Attachments
KCbossP2.zip
(356.3 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Kil

Post by Kil »

if anyone gets the glitch where the wrong set of tiles gets scrolled onto the screen, I'm 99% done fixing that already
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

This is pretty good.

But those elevator stairs, I can walk under them and it's kinda glitchy=ish when you jump up.

Also the one mushroom you need to get, you can get hurt and screwed.

We should make a version of KC that can midair jump.

Also I have some gfx of a "smooth" giant thwomp I'm gonna look for them. (Then again I forget if it's the right size)
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Working on improving the first mushroom, taken out the stairs.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I got stuck here.
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00000.png
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00000.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
Also is all this cutoffish stuff intended? I can tell it isn't a glitch with Kil's patch because something like that would only screw up how you see graphics and not how they act.
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00001.png
Super Mario World (U) [!]_00001.png (7.58 KiB) Viewed 7680 times
And when he jumps in the lava, what happens after that?

To make him be able to surprise jump out of it again you could have lava that acts like water to sprites and actual lava to mario or something.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Thanks, fixed.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Looking at 105, do you have the correct pirahna plant gfx? It's not supposed to have a plant tail.

edit: If anyone's crazy enough to try and code a third form of the boss fast enough, here's my idea for a battle.

Your in a room that drops "soccer balls" which are really shells, except KC can kick them at you. In fact he sometimes spawns some to kick at you and is invincible to shells. To hurt him you need to grab one of the soccer shells and throw them through a "hoop" near the top middle of the arena, and the hoop is a custom block which will convert shells that move through it into the digging chuck rock sprite (we'll use the origional smw one for gfx), except it's a custom sprite so that when it falls this is what happens...

If it hit's KC's head, he takes damage (since you can't jump on him to damage him)
Hopefully he does the same thing as what happens when you hurt him by jumping on his head, and then the rock falls off screen after that the same way as mentioned below.

If it hits the ground it bounces once and then the it doesn't interact with objects anymore and falls off screen. (but it can still hit KC's head if you're lucky)

But he doesn't just do that, he also jumps at you, chases you, kicks footballs.

edit: I might try to do this, YCZ could you tell me the code magikoopa uses to aim for Mario and spawn a sprite? I might want to try shooting out a reflecting boo buddy in the shape of a soccerball with a hitwave.
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

As far as graphics and Exgraphics go this rom is a horrible mishmash of what I need, what I don't, what's from the beta, what shouldn't be there, and so on. Basically if something is in there or not in there that should/shouldn't be in the final rom, do mention it, but it's probably not a problem, since I'll just be cutting out what needs to be submitted from that rom and everything I cut out will be changed as needed.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Oh wow, that turned out better than I expected. Good job you two.
You should make it teleport you to another room after you beat it, because there is a cutscene afterwards.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

RealLink: I've no idea how to code the teleport but I agree that should happen, I could stick in a "no sprites on screen teleport" sprite if necessary.

chdata from earlier: The cutoff stuff is intentional, something about the castle breaking up or something, which I made up out of thin air. When he jumps in the lava is supposed to be the end, I had to ditch the "jump out of lava at you" idea because if KC dies your screen won't scroll, so you can't get to somewhere for him to jump out at you from. Also that's how I did it before, with red water tiles, but the problem is if you fall in the lava then it'll show as only water.

One problem is continuity: He goes from being in lava to talking to Demo, while hurt, in the next cutscene, or can your third phase explain that chdata? If you could have him emerge from the bottom of the lava pit or something that could work, OR I change the lava to just a high fall, and the idea is he survived the fall and you climb down via the vines to the arena for the third phase.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

I hope were not using that song though...
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

flameofdoubt wrote:Also that's how I did it before, with red water tiles, but the problem is if you fall in the lava then it'll show as only water.
Well, you could use an instant kill custom block set to act like 25.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

You can just chop off his head, you don't need to throw him in lava!
asmtboss_00000.png
PS Hi
asmtboss_00003.png
Song is fine, and work the cutscene around the game PLEASE, not the other way around. I don't think I like the shaking so much, though
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

Argumentable wrote:
Song is fine
of course it's fine, just not epic enough for a final boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWVmry7bSLE
Kil

Post by Kil »

chdata wrote:Looking at 105, do you have the correct pirahna plant gfx? It's not supposed to have a plant tail.

edit: If anyone's crazy enough to try and code a third form of the boss fast enough, here's my idea for a battle.

Your in a room that drops "soccer balls" which are really shells, except KC can kick them at you. In fact he sometimes spawns some to kick at you and is invincible to shells. To hurt him you need to grab one of the soccer shells and throw them through a "hoop" near the top middle of the arena, and the hoop is a custom block which will convert shells that move through it into the digging chuck rock sprite (we'll use the origional smw one for gfx), except it's a custom sprite so that when it falls this is what happens...

If it hit's KC's head, he takes damage (since you can't jump on him to damage him)
Hopefully he does the same thing as what happens when you hurt him by jumping on his head, and then the rock falls off screen after that the same way as mentioned below.

If it hits the ground it bounces once and then the it doesn't interact with objects anymore and falls off screen. (but it can still hit KC's head if you're lucky)

But he doesn't just do that, he also jumps at you, chases you, kicks footballs.

edit: I might try to do this, YCZ could you tell me the code magikoopa uses to aim for Mario and spawn a sprite? I might want to try shooting out a reflecting boo buddy in the shape of a soccerball with a hitwave.
is there really enough time though

I mean that sounds like it'll take a week
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Argumentable: Thanks, fixed and fixed. Also shaking is something we'll have to do democratically since I kinda like it.

Darkbuu: I liked the current song, It's the only thing I've heard so far that I thought fitted. Bear in mind that this starts just as the Heavy Press battle with Cave Story last boss music ends. Also I'm open to suggestions but epic songs aren't action-y enough and action songs aren't epic enough. I opted for an action song because at the end of the day running away from an invincible chuck, no matter how much you dress it up, didn't seem to fit with epic music. If you suggest a piece of epic music you think fits I'll throw it in there and you can try it out. If people like that more we'll go with that.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

so my suggestion wasn't epic enough? imo it fits perfectly.
Last edited by Daarkbuu 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Well I coded the main coding of Trilobyte in less than a day.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

chdata wrote:Well I coded the main coding of Trilobyte in less than a day.
And the main code of my Yukari boss was done in what, three hours? As long as you know how to do what you want to do before you start, the actual coding doesn't need to take that long.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Darkbuu: I'm pretty sure that's the music Kil is using for his Rumia boss fight. Also I don't think it fits at all. It fits in a touhou setting because it's slow and passive, but this fight is quite active and certainly quick and action-based. An "epic" track is usually slow and powerful (see: RPG fights, where this fits perfectly), this fight needs quick and tense (see: Megaman bosses, but they're all overused).
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

no, kil's rumia song is something that he composed himself.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Then I stand by the "It's too slow" comment. Try to imagine doing that chase sequence, or ANY chase sequence, to that music. It wouldn't work, would it?