(shouting)

A Super Mario Thing - Plot and cutscenes

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

A Super Mario Thing - Plot and cutscenes

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Since we haven't even gotten started on the plot of the hack, I decided to post this topic. If anyone has an idea for the plot, post it here. Just remember that it will have to explain why some of the Yoshis are against Mario.

I'll start with an idea I posted earlier:
yoshicookiezeus wrote:I did have a plot idea featuring Bowser cloning a Yoshi army from pieces of egg shell leftover from a hatching Yoshi
Also, feel free to post ideas for the castle destruction messages, which don't really need to have anything to do with the plot at all.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: A Super Mario Thing - Plot and cutscenes

Post by RedMageSusie »

"Jesus freakin' hell man! Why'd you have to go and do a thing like that? Seriously now. Go eat a ham!"
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

I'm assuming that is a castle destruction message and not a plot idea. And speaking of castle destruction messages, we should have one containing some kind of reference to Mario's violence against buildings.

Also, I have an idea for the intro screen (the "Welcome to Dinosaur Land!" one, that starts right after you start a new game file). What about this: Mario starts out above a pit of munchers, but just before he hits them, the message, containing the text "That was a demo", comes up. Then we use the message block in Yoshi's House to explain the plot, whatever we decide on for it.
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

"You destroyed an old and irreplaceable relict of an ancient time... are you now proud of your self?"
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Yeah, it's a castle destruction thing. Probably needs to be longer/better
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:Mario starts out above a pit of munchers, but just before he hits them, the message, containing the text "That was a demo", comes up.
Hahahahaha, awesome, yes, do it, now!
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

castle destruction:

"Exhausted, Mario gazes at the destruction he helped cause, and wonders why he chose to fight. Was there another way? Standing aside the rescued egg, the answers seem to escape him. He only knows that he'll fight the koopas again before he finds his answer. How long will he keep fighting? How long will his pain last? Only the fire flower in his hand and the cape on his back know for sure....."

Because whee blatent ripoffs are fun.

Extra points for correct music insertion, and even more if it's just some random unimportant castle.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Castle Destruction

After mario having gone past the last level, he found a castle and for no reason decided to (method of destruction here), leaving (boss here) completely homeless. He also found an egg. It was delicous.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

"I think, y'know, the koopas have learned an important lesson about the dangers of capitalism today. Any old plumber can just buy your castle, forcibly evict you and peel it down with a wet mop. And then he can just build a glue factory there if he wants."
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

Or maybe

"YOU FOUND A HEART! ...Er...EGG! <something else attached here>"
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

They all sound like good ideas.

I think this is one of the reasons Vip, and this game (hopefully) will be popular, because of the random texts and all different level designs.
<SNN> WHO DARES
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

Well, I made this offer before but I think it was disregarded so I'll make it again:

I have some experience in creative writing, and so if you all wanted I could write like a page long plot or something that could be fleshed out in text boxes kinda RttC style, or whatever you guys want!
I'd really love to do this, cuz it's the only thing I'd really be able to contribute to the collab effort, since I have absolutely zero experience with hacks and that sort of thing.

So yeah, just let me know so I can get started.
Cookiez: you can PM me with details if you want me to go through with this.
What?

Oh...
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

How about a family of Yoshis, descended from a Yoshi that was cast into a pit by Mario's great grandfather or something. This family's had it out for Mario's family ever since. But other Yoshis see their self-sacrifice as bringing them a reward in the afterlife or something, so they continue to support Mario and co.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

How about for the plot, Bowser is working on a mind control thing and mutating thing to make Yoshi's be all crazy and evil?

Weston Smith

Post by Weston Smith »

Are we even using Bowser, given how no enjoys fighting him at the end of hacks?

Anyways, plot idea (if we are using him):

Bowser returns, but this time intends to transform the Mushroom Kingdom into a land of Communism. Mario, the hero of Capitalism, is off to save his friends who have fallen in line with the teachings of the Tyrant Bowser. The eggs he frees from each castle are containers holding the leading political powers capable of transforming the Kingdom back to Capitalism.

Too raocow, not enough wide spread appeal? Or just too dumb?
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

What other options have we got?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Garlyle wrote:
What other options have we got?
We could do that thing where, there's a new villain. And I have this awesome idea for a boss...
It's a stage, except, the entire stage is actually a huge watchma evil guy giant person, sort of like being inside a robot, with pipes in it. You have to go inside it to hurt it. Would probably use screen scroll pipes. And there could be some kind of sprites that you have to destroy to end the level. So really the only custom sprite thing you'd have to make is something that, when all of them are destroyed or a set number maybe, the level ends. and then the way the boss attacks you is just by it being a stage with enemies and other traps in it. Like spontaneous fire. And maybe it can be puzzley to find ammo.

Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

"...That's not how mops work, Mario"
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

I think first, the castle messages should be in a very mock serious tone. I also think each one should be written in a very guilt-inducing way.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

prsnth1111 wrote:I think first, the castle messages should be in a very mock serious tone. I also think each one should be written in a very guilt-inducing way.
I second the motion. I like that idea.
<SNN> WHO DARES
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

I nominate tofu-man to be the end boss/villain.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

As for the Bowser fight, who is to say that we have to use the original Bowser? I have been thinking about ways to adapt the Heavy Press boss I made some while ago. What if I redrew it to some kind of giant Thwomp, replaced the giant eye with a window showing Bowser controlling it, and added in a homing bullet generator or something? And I have an idea for a cutscene that could be right before the boss:

[Sprites shown: Mario, Bowser]
So you are here at last. You might have gotten past my armies, but I am ready.
[Sprites shown: Mario, Bowser inside the thwomp boss]
Prepare to lose that y-axis of yours to my new secret weapon, the [insert name of boss here]!

Jesus freaking hell. It's stuck in the ceiling.

Oh well. That was just a demo.
Initiate weapons cycle, authorization Koopa alpha omega.

[Heavy Thwomp lights up]

[Battle starts]

And yes, that cutscene would be perfectly doable with Romi's cutscene tool.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:As for the Bowser fight, who is to say that we have to use the original Bowser? I have been thinking about ways to adapt the Heavy Press boss I made some while ago. What if I redrew it to some kind of giant Thwomp, replaced the giant eye with a window showing Bowser controlling it, and added in a homing bullet generator or something? And I have an idea for a cutscene that could be right before the boss:

[Sprites shown: Mario, Bowser]
So you are here at last. You might have gotten past my armies, but I am ready.
[Sprites shown: Mario, Bowser inside the thwomp boss]
Prepare to lose that y-axis of yours to my new secret weapon, the [insert name of boss here]!

Jesus freaking hell. It's stuck in the ceiling.

Oh well. That was just a demo.
Initiate weapons cycle, authorization Koopa alpha omega.

[Heavy Thwomp lights up]

[Battle starts]

And yes, that cutscene would be perfectly doable with Romi's cutscene tool.
Isn't "that was just a demo" going to be used for the intro (as I recall, the message box saves you right before you fall into pirahna plants)
Other wise the rest sounds awesome.

Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Can we make it so you fight all multiple versions of bowser at the same time. Like Mario 1 and 3 and SMW bowser
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

If you can get me the SMB3 bowser sprite: Yes. Though the SMW Bowser probably won't work too well with the other ones due to it using Mode 7.