(shouting)

A Super Mario Thing - Plot and cutscenes

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
kilon

Re: A Super Mario Thing - Plot and cutscenes

Post by kilon »

I can't check them out, but is there a frame where he looks beaten/lying for the cutscene after you defeated him?
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Okay, I finished them. Here is a patch with all the cutscenes I made:
ASMTCutscenes.ips
(368.97 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
What do you think?
Also, if you die after a cutscene it means that there is going to be a level/a boss fight/the credits after the cutscene.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Well, that seems to be one of the three main holdups done. Just remember to upload the sprite and graphics files once feedback and such has been acquired.
kilon

Post by kilon »

-In cutscene 4 after the "If I can't have you, no-one can!" I think it would be better if it ended with a button input and not a timed thing.

-In cutscene 5 is a typing error. You have releporter but it is ofcourse teleporter.

-In cutscene 7 would it be possible to have BP gad out and the normal mushroom kingdom bg fade in?
If not it's okay to.
And maybe the ??? of the master could be red to make it possibly more clear that not everything is ok.

And cutscene 1 is actually changed as well. The sprites and BG are correct, but the text has been changed and music for the beach part has been added. So that one has to be made as well..
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

These are really good, nice work!
Just one problem Kilon didn't mention, with the introducing BP cutscene, I believe that cutscene appears at the start of the void world (correct me If I'm wrong) And you're not supposed to see Black Plague until the very end of the void world, so if I'm right could you take his picture out of that cutscene?
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
kilon

Post by kilon »

No, the cutscene activates when you actually meet BP. after the teleporter rooms

Plans where to just have some message boxes throughout the void world with BP taunting Demo. But those haven't been written yet and I can try it but it definitely won't be as good or in the same style for that matter as the text by Moniker.

edit: also looking at it all finished, some music choices aren't the best I think. But it would be to late to look for replacements. And it's not that they are bad but some could use a better alternative. oh well.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

The cutscene 7 thing can't be changed, as it always fades the screen when GFX are changing.
And the master's text color can't be changed, as you can only have 3 different colors each cutscene. I could switch to a sublevel to get a separate color for his text, though, but that would create the mosaic effect.

And yoshicookiezeus, could you upload the cutscene 1 VWF text file so I can change the text? I don't want to set up GFX myself.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

RealLink wrote:And yoshicookiezeus, could you upload the cutscene 1 VWF text file so I can change the text? I don't want to set up GFX myself.
?

I just used the default one...

EDIT: oh god the stupidity

Sure, here it is.
Attachments
intro.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
kilon

Post by kilon »

wait, this one used raocow's Demo so you do have to change that to Terry's Demo.

But the first one where she is sitting with her back to the screen would require making it. Looking at it though, I don't think it's to much of a shock when you use the current sprite for that.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

What about this frame? Wouldn't that work?
demoback.png
demoback.png (72.68 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
I am fairly certain that's what I used from the old graphics...
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Finished.
Attachments
Cutscenes.zip
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
kilon

Post by kilon »

Postingit in this thread for clarification.

They aren't that good, but a quick idea for BP during the Void World (all auto messages)
Spread across some of the levels (not Trial of Iron)
So you are the Chosen One?
They say faith never fails, but this has to be an exceptionp
You might be stronger then you look, but there is still work to do before everything is ready
Good. Everything is going according to plan. Come my little alien friend. We are waiting for you.
And when entering the teleporter hub:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Only the Chosen One can make it this far.
Just one more trial awaits you. Succeed and finish what you started.
Where the one could change into the number of teleporter rooms that we use (8 if we count the broken ones etc.) But just eight more trials remain sounds a bit stupid.
kilon

Post by kilon »

And some text for Con, Leader and the guard that captured you in the HQ:

Con:
Hi.. eh..
Can you please only talk to me through the headset?
Thanks.
Leader:
Remember the deal we made? You help us and we help you.

I just said that? Really?
Guard:
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Speaking of Con, his graphics doesn't seem to be included in the cutscene file, so if he's to be an NPC I kind of need them.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

I didn't include them because they were not in the cutscene.
Attachments
Yoshi.zip
Con and the civilian Yoshi
(1.12 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Also just in case you don't know, Con is intended to be a yellow yoshi.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Hey all. Some alternate auto-messages for the void world. I'm still using a public computer, so I won't be able to discuss or adjust. So, use as you see fit! Hopefully I'll have a working computer by the time this sucker comes out.

They should all fit in the message box char limit.
1.We see you, one-eyed wonder. We are glad that you were chosen...

2.See our work all around you. We have only just begun.

3.Come but a little closer.,,
Arrangements are in motion. We are enraptured by your progress.

4.You are chosen, and we are your choice. The rush of the solar winds! One final trial, but none of us were intended for finality.
Peace, M.

PS - kilon's NPC texts in the other thread are so choice.
Nothing's easy.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Just realized that we are still lacking two castle destruction messages; more specifically, the ones for castles 5 and 7. Anyone have any ideas?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Do these from Moniker no longer apply?

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 5***
Still no device, but perhaps that will motivate the charlies to finally wash their athletic equipment, or at least deodorize it with aerosol spray, or odor-eating foot powder.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 7***
We can only guess at Demo's true motives. Is she fighting, fleeing, or allowing some powerful surge of id to escape on a myopic rampage? ...Is she following her heart?

I'll admit castle 5 could do with tweaking because of rumia and making it plot significant perhaps, what do you think? I don't think I could write in the same style as moniker if I had to invent a new one.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Something I wanted to ask:
Do you have a message for castle 3? Because then you'd need to add some code to the Lakitu boss so it triggers a boss scene.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

flameofdoubt: Must have missed those two...

RealLink: ? All that level has in the way of level messages is the message box right at the start...
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Well (unless you already know this or RealLink didn't mean a castle destruction scene) a few pages back Moniker did write messages for every single castle, just in case you don't know, yoshicookiezeus.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Yep, I mean the castle destruction message.

e:
oh wait, just looked into the sprite again, and the required code is in.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

flameofdoubt wrote:Well (unless you already know this or RealLink didn't mean a castle destruction scene) a few pages back Moniker did write messages for every single castle, just in case you don't know, yoshicookiezeus.
Mind linking me to them? I found the start-of-world ones, but not any castle messages...
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Here's the post with hopefully the whole and final plot. Because this was the "final" one, the ones you've found already might have changed though?
Moniker wrote: Pregame
***CUTSCENE 1***

A long time ago, somewhere far from the Mushroom Kingdom...

???: You! Minion!

Demo: Me, master?

???: Yes you. Name?

Demo: Demo, master.

???: Demo, I hunger. Fetch me some victuals.

Demo: But that fleet might attack at any moment! I am needed here at the command center! And besides, we are fresh out. The next shipment won't arrive for another two hours.

???: Hours?! Minutes are days in a leapfrog's year. Did you not hear me?
VICTUALS! LIBATIONS! COMESTIBLES FOR THY MASTER!

Demo: G-g-got it, master. But how if I may ask?

???: Report to teleporter room 42B for immediate translation. I have prepared it with the coordinates of the nearest culinary emporium.
You do have your return teleporter ready, I pray?

Demo: Yes, master.

???: Oh, and try to get as many vegetables as you can. ROOTS, SPROUTS, TUBERS, AND LEGUMES! Bring them all, and all shall be eaten.

Demo: I will try, master.

Demo: *Sigh* Teleporters... So much can go wrong, and if I end up in the wrong place...?
Well, I don't have much of a choice, now do I?

Meanwhile, on a beach in the Mushroom Kingdom...

Soldier Charlie: Shoot, sir, but I don't see any yoshis. Can we, uh, go?

Captain Charlie: Think before you speak, soldier! They're underground! Don't tell me you forgot already! We are here because his royal Majesty thinks that the Yoshi Resistance Force Headquarters might be located someplace nearby.

Soldier Charlie: Under our feet! Ain't that just like a Yoshi, sportin' those weird tongues, burrowin' under ground...

Captain Charlie: Quiet down! Some of them's on our side, you know.
But your feelings are quite natural, son. In a way, I'm glad those deviants decided to fight back instead of joining up when His Majesty decided to stockpile all the kingdom's food back at the castle.

Soldier Charlie: So how come they're still fightin'? Why ain't they starved?

Captain Charlie: Well, they clearly must have some sort of secret place where they grow their own food. Which, of course, is strictly illegal. Which you'd know, if you'd pay better attention to your betters, is what we're looking for.

Soldier Charlie: ...Alright then.

Captain Charlie: Okay, I'll go through the plan one last time. Listen careful now...

Some ten meters above...

Demo: Oh dear. This certainly isn't a grocery store.
What to do?
World 1
***Cutscene 2***
Yoshi Grunt: Aaah! I mean, halt intruder!

Demo: Nice to meet you.

YG: The pleasure is all m- gah! What ARE you? What are you doing here?

D: I haven't the faintest idea where "here" is! My master sent me for some vegetables and-

YG: And you fancied some of ours, I bet! Raiding the coffers? In wartime?! Just wait here while I phone this in.
[Aside] Sir we have a situation here...Yes...Vegetables, sir...A hum-cycl- actually, I haven't the foggiest, sir.... Yes sir, standing by.

[Waiting. would be cool if Demo's sprite gets more and more bored. Standing, standing looking up, sitting, ..]

Yoshi Leader: So! Not a charlie, no, but certainly not one of us - whatever shall we do? This one looks ripe for a tongue lashing, eh, corporal?

YG: Sir?

YL: Such a clever girl to find us here. We could use a clever girl like you.

D: Um, I'll go find some vegetables elsewhere.

YL: Wait. Let me explain.
The Mushroom Kingdom has been threatened by a vile usurper for some time now. A poor man's poet-king, yes-

D: My teleporter! It's gone. I must have lost it when I fell on the head of these football players. They must have taken it.

YL: Aha! Ran afoul of some charlies! Well let us sweeten the pot, shall we? Join the resistance and we'll help you recover your little toy from the footballers. And some vegetables for master too, yes? Or you can try and find your way alone...

D: No no! I'll... help do whatever it is you're doing.

YL: It's a small price to pay. We shall help you as best we can. Our engineer Con shall provide tactical support through this headset.

Con: Greetings, Demo. You have kind eye. I've spent my life mapping my beloved homeland. I will be your guide in trying times. There is no time to lose. Good luck, and god speed.

***MESSAGE 1 - BEACH***
Ah, the beach. My parents often took me here as an egg. Now it is the last refuge of the Free Yoshis. Be on your guard for enemy scouting parties.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 1****
With the casual murder of the charlies and yoshi collaborators at Castle 1, Demo is now knee-deep in a violent political quagmire, of which she has no understanding. Kudos!
World 2
***MESSAGE 2 - FOREST***
These woods are rich with flora, but hot with charlie. Your device has been spotted with enemy troops heading north.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 2***
Demo sought her device, but found instead yet another reason to sleep with the lights on. But there will be no rest. She will challenge the gods if it means a can of beans and a way home.
World 3
***MESSAGE 3 - SKY***
Our clouds are renowned for their stout composition. Many live here in safety. Don't get too comfortable, though. It's a long way down.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 3***
What is the true nature of this conflict? What other uholy horrors await? How many lives is Demo prepared to end to claim her vegetables? Play on, gentle gamer, to find out.
World 4
***MESSAGE 4 - GRASSLAND***
The fields, our ancestral home. Now, occupied by the Charlesian army. Make haste to the caves. Your device has been sighted there.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 4***
As Demo plucks a radish from the newly freed yoshi homeland, with sadness she eulogizes the lives of those whose eggs, slime, and helmets will fertilize this soil for generations to come.
World 5
***MESSAGE 5 - CAVE***
(Static) No reception here, I guess. I hope those footballers haven't gone far. It stinks of dirty laundry down here...

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 5***
Still no device, but perhaps that will motivate the charlies to finally wash their athletic equipment, or at least deodorize it with aerosol spray, or odor-eating foot powder.
World 6
***MESSAGE 6 - ICE***
The device wasn't in the cave? Your journey may be longer than we thought. Cross the ice on into the desert. Watch out for chapped lips!

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 6***
Demo will surely think twice the next time she finds a reasonably priced pantsuit at her local retailer. But for now, she must trail a pair of nitwit jocks into the desert.
World 7
***MESSAGE 7 - DESERT***
Such a hot desert, yes... My, what a tongue-lashing you'll- (STATIC)
Curse you! Give over the micropho-(STATIC) Um, sorry Demo. Carry on.

***CASTLE CUTSCENE 7***
We can only guess at Demo's true motives. Is she fighting, fleeing, or allowing some powerful surge of id to escape on a myopic rampage? ...Is she following her heart?
World 8
***CUTSCENE 3***
Con: *This is it, at last... the Volcano Stronghold. The final fortress.*
Con: *Demo. Once you go in there, my signal won't be able to reach you. ... You'll be on your own.*
Demo: "That's fine. Your guidance shall remain with me always, giving me strength."
Con: *It's what it's for. You ready?*
Demo: "Naturally. Don't pine too much like you did when I was underground, okay?"
Con: *Heh, I'll try. I'd say good luck, but you don't need it. I know you can do this.*
Demo: "... Thanks. Stay out of trouble, you stupid horse. Demo out."
Demo: (Aside) What is this strange sensation bubbling up inside me? Could it be...love?

***MESSAGE 8 - VOLCANO***
Her spirit compels her. The darkness in her heart is her guide. No space, no time. Only the challenge, and rising to meet it.

***CUTSCENE 4***
???: And so we meet.
Allow me to introduce myself. I am King Charles the Fourth, Lord of the Mushroom Kingdom,
Dinosaur Land, and Other Sundry Realms and Minor Territories. Head of the Common Wealth,
Defender of the Faith and, most importantly, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Army.
[KC steps forward, is visible for the first time]
Demo: ...
You're just another charlie guy?
King Charles: Are we really so different, you and I? Is your endless quest for vegetables so unlike my desire to embrace every tree, shrub, and piranha plant in this kingdom to my armoured bosom?
Demo: Actually-
KC: And the sadness! You feel it as well, do you not? How many nights have you drip-dropped a single bitter tear from your big beautiful eye at the prospect of finding no vegetables, no hope of conquest?
Demo: I-
KC: Heavy lies the crown, I agree. Demo, a life of servitude does not befit a creature such as yourself. Will you be my queen?
Demo: You really don't have to do that. I just want my teleporta-
KC: It's that despicable yoshi isn't it?? The one who calls you at all hours with his sweet nothings and tactical support!
Demo: No, really I-
KC: If I can't have you, no one will!

***CUTSCENE 5***
KC: Is this how it feels? To have your heart broken?

Demo: *Sigh* My vegetables are beginning to rot...

KC: You may have defeated me, but this world shall never know peace! We could have reigned together, but now an era of darkness-

D: Another reason to leave as soon as possible. Tata!

D: My teleporter looks kind of odd... Did you do something to it??

KC: Black... gah... (collapses)

D: Whatever! (Presses her teleporter button)
World 9
***MESSAGE 9 - VOID***
Oh dear. These certainly are not my master's quarters. What to do?

***CUTSCENE 6***
Black Plague: We are pleased to receive you, Demo, lithe, loathesome lingerer from afar. Your visit was not easy to arrange. Great things never are. Oh how we admire you.

Demo: Is the Mushroom Kingdom always like this?

BP: It shall never be the same. Your arrival has set things in motion. Awesome things. Acquiring such alien acumen has enabled us. Energized us. Enlightened us. Your device has set us free!

***CUTSCENE 7***
BP: Can you feel it? Can you feel us? We are alive....
[He disappears.]

Demo: Is he gone?

Con: *Demo, are you alright? That anomolous energy has dissapated. Your teleportation device should work properly now.

Demo: Finally!

Con: * You know, I thought I'd lost you. There's so much I wanted to-

Demo: Um, bye now!

[Arrives at Master's room.]

Demo: Master? I know I'm late, and the vegetables are a tad overripe, but- Master?

???: We have been awaiting thy voluminous vegetal victuals, minion. We are so pleased you have finally returned.

Demo: MASTER!!!

Fin.