(shouting)

A Super Mario Thing - DEADLINE: Feb 28

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

A Super Mario Thing - DEADLINE: Feb 28

Post by Argumentable »

Okay, so it was mentioned offhand in this thread if you didn't see it, but the idea of a collab hack came up. I really like the idea of them, so I figured I'd make the new thread, since I didn't see anybody else do it, for interest checks or ideas or whatever.

Like I said, I think it would be a fun idea. We could set up some world themes, and usually someone will have at least one good idea. Its certainly a lot better than having two and then just churning out 50 awful levels just so people will play them.

Tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cha ... unar+magic
I haven't watched all of these, just a few, but I like them. If you don't know anything, check them out and you should get a basic idea. I also suggest just messing around in lunar magic, getting a feel for it before you do anything big. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here

Want to make a level for the hack?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=177
Go here, and pick a level that doesn't have a green or red box around it. Follow YCZ's instructions, and you should be ok. If you want feedback on your level, I would suggest making an IPS file and posting it here so people can test it

General Levelmaking Guidelines
I might be a bit out of line here but here's some things to consider
-Don't be unfair. Harder levels are good, but there's a difference between hard and unfair. If the player doesn't know something is coming, and they need to, its unfair. Using coins to guide players to off-screen platforms helps
-Gimmicks are good. You don't need to be extreme (though if you can it would be interesting,) but things like swapped graphics, or a level based around an entire enemy or concept is good. Use your imagination
-Don't create a level just for you-know-who. Create your levels so that everyone, even people who don't visit here, can. In-joke stuff is fine, just try not to take it too far

Don't forget Super Mario World Central
http://www.smwcentral.net/
They have a lot of shit. Really. Most of it works
Last edited by Argumentable 14 years ago, edited 10 times in total.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: Collab Hack?

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'll be willing to learn how to hack just for this. Given my noobiness, my levels will probably be used in the first couple worlds.
Sharkenaa

Post by Sharkenaa »

As I mentioned in that thread, I'd be more than willing to produce music for a collab hack. Someone else should just import the songs into the hacks or probably send them to the hackers? Well, I could provide a download link them, too. But first we should decide if we're even gonna start this project. If we are: Sounds great, I'm in!
Jcranjel

Post by Jcranjel »

I have no clue how to make hacks, but I'm so in lol
I guess I'll provide ideas more than anything else

I would also be willing to playtest anything we make lol, I beta test so many games lawl, I'm quite good at feedback now
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

I've already found a way to change the footballs into baby yoshis, but it involves not only changing the sprite art, but also modifying the sprite data do it uses the correct palette, which is a global thing. (not too bad for someone who only started hacking a few days ago and knows nothing about ASM :D )

I can provide an IPS for the core game if everyone else wants the footballs replaced. I've also made and tested an ExGFX for something… awesome… for ghost houses
Last edited by Kincyr 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jcranjel

Post by Jcranjel »

Kincyr wrote:I've already found a way to change the footballs into baby yoshis
LOL, somehow that seems perfect for a hack made by raocow fans

how do you make levels and stuff? like what programs would I need and everything, I could mess around with them and see what I can make lol

oh and lol, someone else from michigan
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

I can only share my ideas, since I don't know anything about romhacks, but I guess since its a collab hack, I think that's fine too :)
Aside from that, I have some minor photoshop skills. Don't think that is too helpful though.
TwilightArts wrote:
Kincyr wrote:one thing I'm sure would be hilarious is if someone replaced the footballs with baby yoshis
The best game for raocow would definitely be a hack where yoshi's sprite is used for an actual enemy like the rex or something. Then he could finally kill the freakin' horse for real ^^
Wonder what yoshi's replacement to ride would be, though. Maybe a Charlie? Oh wait, that would look kinda gay, wouldn't it? :shock:
What about that idea I had a few days ago? Possible, funny or plain horrible? :)
"What the hell. And thus hell was whated." - raocow, VIP 4

My videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TwilightArts
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

both the patch, and the ghost house ExGFX are attached. Obviously, it would be best to apply the patch to a copy of the pure ROM before starting any editing.

the result:

I'll leave the ExGFX a surprise for everyone
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

LOL, that's freakin' awesome! :lol:

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

I have been hacking SMW for a while, and could probably contribute with some levels, and perhaps a few custom bosses (provided I manage to come up with any good ideas for bosses that aren't too complicated to code, that is...). However, if we are going to do a collab hack we would need someone to organize the whole thing: who uses what level numbers and secondary exits, what numbers are used for what custom sprites and blocks, what patches to use, who does the overworld... That sort of thing. (No, I am not nominating myself for that position.) Also, we would need some people, preferably experienced SMW hackers, to test the levels submitted and fix any glitches (both gameplay- and graphics-wise).
CyclopsDragon

Post by CyclopsDragon »

I'd be willing to help, considering I have a few good ideas for levels. I'd need to learn how to use LM or something, though.
Writing my music, all day long; there's a cute ol' goopa, he goes in my song!
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP DR. ZOIDBERG
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:I have been hacking SMW for a while, and could probably contribute with some levels, and perhaps a few custom bosses.
Oh yeah, your name came up in the latest daigaidai video. Should be cool then

I'm going to encourage everybody to make a level even if they think they suck at it and never tried it before (if things work out I might do a tutorial of extreme basics of lunar magic)

If we need someone to do the bulk of mashing things together, I wouldn't mind helping with it. I wouldn't really want to do it all alone, but I can do it. I don't really thing who has what level numbers really matter since I'm fairly certain you can just copy paste level data into whatever. Maybe a little time consuming, but it makes it easier for everyone else. I don't know how rough this would be with custom musics and sprites, worst case scenario there could be a list of what exactly is used. If anybody has any experience on that matter please speak up.

I might be able to set up a little ftp thing to upload stuff to, but don't quote me on that. Music, graphics, levels, whatever would work. I think the overworld should be about the last thing done, though.

Some good basic guidelines I think would be
* Don't get discouraged - I doubt every level will be used, and there might be some that aren't great, but work with people and they can probably turn out great
* Hard, not asshole - Hard levels would be ok, but jerk moves like death at the start, blind jumps and the like should be shyed away from.
* Criticize constructively - If you have an opinion on a level you're testing, you should give it, but if you don't like something give some suggestions on how it could be better. "This level is too hard" doesn't really help. "I think there are too many bullet bill shooters in this level, if you took out some of them I think it would be better" is probably better.
* Take criticism well - it probably goes with the first and previous thing, but if someone disagrees with what you did, take it into consideration. They're only trying to help.
* I thought I had more - Oops

Thoughts on anything? Maybe world themes if we want to do that? How big we expect to make it? Am I writing too much? Etc?
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ParadoxHotel

Post by ParadoxHotel »

I play around with LM sometimes and have a good idea for a puzzle level. Not sure how collaboration hacks work with sending level files but I'll participate.
Love, Ire, and Lakitu!
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I think that was a well said post Argumentable. I probably think the hack won't be too long, given the amount of active posters on this forum. I think 3 - 4 worlds might cover it, since I can't reasonably see 8 worlds being done unless more interest is generated, or if people are willing to make like, 5 levels each.

I'll try to get around to experimenting with LM sometime this week.
Dagron

Post by Dagron »

Oh you can count me in on this. I have messed around with lunar magic before so we'll see how it goes.
Hmm what is this "Signature" you speak of? We do not have such things in my rainforest.
Check out my youtube let's play channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Dagron0
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

Count me in! I've already got one level done especially for this hack!
EvilLemmy

Post by EvilLemmy »

I wouldn't mind doing a couple of levels or musics or something for this. I've made a couple of levels in the past just for fun, they're kind of unfair in some parts but they weren't really meant to be serious attempts.
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

Depending on if I can work Lunar Magic, I might be interested in using this as a chance to get a handle on the program. I'd like to keep an eye on this.
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
Jcranjel

Post by Jcranjel »

yeah, if I get my hands on lunar magic and have a basic idea of how to use it, I could try making some levels lol
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

I'm in! With yoshicookiezeus in we can't make something bad, can we?
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

If you are seriously intending to do this, you should take the time to really organize it even before people start making levels. That's what I'm doing with SMWCentral's Team Hack. We're still in preproduction at the moment and having been planning for a while now. Figure out how you're going to do levels, assign map16, insert patches and asm, overworld, etc. Then you might have a good chance of getting the hack off the ground.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

TwilightArts wrote:
TwilightArts wrote:The best game for raocow would definitely be a hack where yoshi's sprite is used for an actual enemy like the rex or something. Then he could finally kill the freakin' horse for real ^^
Wonder what yoshi's replacement to ride would be, though. Maybe a Charlie? Oh wait, that would look kinda gay, wouldn't it? :shock:
What about that idea I had a few days ago? Possible, funny or plain horrible? :)
possible, for someone who knows a lot about ASM. While I know nothing about programming custom enemies, I have ideas for 3 possible behaviours:
  • walking around aimlessly like a goomba or green koopa
  • flying around like a winged red koopa
  • acting like a dry bones, by that I mean occasionally changing direction to face Mario and spitting a big fireball (showing the swallowing sprite, followed by the full mouth sprite, to show you he's getting ready to fire.)
a universal behaviour can be that when he's hit, he'll run away from Mario. Another hit kills him
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

Kincyr wrote:
TwilightArts wrote:
TwilightArts wrote:The best game for raocow would definitely be a hack where yoshi's sprite is used for an actual enemy like the rex or something. Then he could finally kill the freakin' horse for real ^^
possible, for someone who knows a lot about ASM. While I know nothing about programming custom enemies, I have ideas for 3 possible behaviours:
  • walking around aimlessly like a goomba or green koopa
  • flying around like a winged red koopa
  • acting like a dry bones, by that I mean occasionally changing direction to face Mario and spitting a big fireball (showing the swallowing sprite, followed by the full mouth sprite, to show you he's getting ready to fire.)
a universal behaviour can be that when he's hit, he'll run away from Mario. Another hit kills him
I like that! :mrgreen:
But it sounds difficult to realize. Hope that someone is able to do such a thing. I'm sure raocow woul love it.

Nameless Fool MT

Post by Nameless Fool MT »

Argumentable wrote: * Hard, not asshole - Hard levels would be ok, but jerk moves like death at the start, blind jumps and the like should be shyed away from.

Thoughts on anything? Maybe world themes if we want to do that? How big we expect to make it? Am I writing too much? Etc?
You should add no abuse of invisible coin blocks. If you need them for the player to make a jump, that's fine, but otherwise don't use them please.
The lazy one...
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah, I think most people can judge for themselves what counts as a dick move and whats challenging
FirePhoenix wrote:If you are seriously intending to do this, you should take the time to really organize it even before people start making levels. That's what I'm doing with SMWCentral's Team Hack. We're still in preproduction at the moment and having been planning for a while now. Figure out how you're going to do levels, assign map16, insert patches and asm, overworld, etc. Then you might have a good chance of getting the hack off the ground.
I didn't really see this thing having too much stuff changed. I mean, yeah, I know SMWC wants you to change all the graphics and add all this code, but a couple people seem to not know much about Lunar Magic, which is fine. Hell, I don't know all the ins and outs of it. If people know some patches they want to put in, or whatever else, we should talk it over. Mostly what I saw was something pretty basic.

I mean, I guess exgfx wouldn't be hard, and most of the level stuff just seems like it'd be more of a pain for the final product, which I'm willing to trudge through to an extent if we want it all together. I don't really have any experience piecing one together, so as I said before, anybody with any info on that or even if they want to step up feel free to.

Also, I mentioned something earlier about making a tutorial. Lucky me, I happened to stumble upon a bunch. I haven't watched them all, but if you want some tips or something check out this stuff http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cha ... y=tutorial

I don't know if people are making levels yet or what.

Edit: Here's some patches http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=patches