(shouting)

A Super Mario Thing - DEADLINE: Feb 28

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
Daze

Re: Collab Hack?

Post by Daze »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:A Horse's Revenge is done.

Video link

Comments most appreciated.
I'm impressed with this level, YCZ. The smashers, the clappers, the boss... all look good, from where I'm standing. A couple questions, though. As far as the reset door, can you carry the baby Yoshi through that and let it eat one more enemy, if you messed up? Or will the count reset? Just because letting the Koopa leave his shell before eating him seemed counter-intuitive to me, at least at first. Also, it's pretty easy to change Yoshi's dialogue, right? I imagine it'll probably be changed for the finished product, but I'm just pointing it out now. Nitpicks are all I have, really. Again, good job.
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

So what level numbers should I use? I'll probably need at least three of them. Also, is Map16 page E completely empty, so that I can use it for the pipes?

And I just realized that the Black Plague graphics will require some hex edits to use, since the Big Boo Boss uses several hardcoded palettes to pull off the transparency effect. I have some experience with those particular ROM addresses, as I had to do a similar thing to the custom sprite version to get my floating muncher boss to use the correct colours, so I could probably do it. (I'll just have to play through Time Bomb Tower again so that I can rip the colours from a savestate...)

@dazedouji: No, you can't carry items through a door. And the Yoshi message is really simple to edit: it's the second message for level 0 in Lunar Magic's message box text editor.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

dazedouji: You can't carry objects through doors.

The whole puzzle will just reset. Excellent level, if I do say so, Yoshicookiezues. Only one complaint from me: I'd rather have the boss look like a Yoshi doing a ground-pound, but it doesn't really matter. Also, if no one else wants to, I'll make the font for the title screen.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the level maker himself, lol.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Level numbers for... That level that looks hard?

Use, 11f, a6, and a7.

If anyones wondering, I am keeping track of what levels have been used...
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Dealth0072

Post by Dealth0072 »

I used 11A for my Ice Cavern, its done.

You can use it for the cave or Ice world, either one yo...
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

I think I'll use it for Ice World, just 'cause it'd be a little... off... if it was in forest world.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

tatanga wrote:Excellent level, if I do say so, Yoshicookiezues. Only one complaint from me: I'd rather have the boss look like a Yoshi doing a ground-pound, but it doesn't really matter.
I have to agree. Either that or a regular thwomp I would like more. Having Yoshis face inside a thwomp looks kinda "forced" to me.
SpikyRat wrote: Awesome, yoshicookiezeus! Let's hope that raocow doesn't somehow find that video.
And let's also hope he doesn't get nightmares from this level, dreaming the whole night of weird yoshi combinations ^^

One thing though: Will all castle-levels now have this yoshis-everwhere-gimmick or only that one in particular? Because I think for one level it's okay to have a yoshi overdose, but too much of the same in other levels would would take away the joke. However, I hope to find some elements of this level in other levels, like the football charlies and the munchers :)
"What the hell. And thus hell was whated." - raocow, VIP 4

My videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TwilightArts
CyclopsDragon

Post by CyclopsDragon »

I had a very strange idea, and it doesn't really matter to me whether or not anyone likes it, but Rao's latest SMWR video made me think of it: bullets traveling on the z-axis. You know, from the foreground to the background, and vice versa. If someone could program that, it would be a great gimmick for single level. I sense "Bill's Palace" in the making. Although they'd have to be Banzai bills, because if not, the ones from the FG to the BG would be too easy to dodge, and the ones from the BG to the FG would be impossible to see if you were standing on the same square.
Also, I agree that YCZ has an awesome level. I was cracking up when I saw that first smasher fall, and especially at the end, where Magikoopa killed Yoshi. But then I thought, "Awwww... poor Yoshi."
Writing my music, all day long; there's a cute ol' goopa, he goes in my song!
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP DR. ZOIDBERG
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

CyclopsDragon wrote:I had a very strange idea, and it doesn't really matter to me whether or not anyone likes it, but Rao's latest SMWR video made me think of it: bullets traveling on the z-axis.
Oh god. The sprite itself probably wouldn't be too hard to program (only check for Mario-sprite interaction at a certain time), but the graphics routine would. For a sprite to have the effect to grow like that would take up quite a bit of graphics space, meaning that if you want to have any significant amount of tileset specific sprites in the level, you would need to make the sprite upload its graphics tiles dynamically to the sprite tiles area. And I just don't have the knowledge to make dynamic sprites...

(And another thing: How would the sprite work after "passing the foreground"? It couldn't just keep growing forever, and just having it disappear once it reached a certain size would be kind of odd...)

Speaking of Bullet Bills, however, I could probably recreate the giant homing bullet chasing Mario from VIP4's Temple of Homing level if anyone would want to use it. In fact, I already have a sprite working like that; it would just take some tweaks to its x and y speeds and graphics routine/hitbox.
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: Speaking of Bullet Bills, however, I could probably recreate the giant homing bullet chasing Mario from VIP4's Temple of Homing level if anyone would want to use it. In fact, I already have a sprite working like that; it would just take some tweaks to its x and y speeds and graphics routine/hitbox.
I'd say we should be careful with that. Temple of homing played by raocow is one of my favorite videos, but I'm sure he doesn't really want this torture ever again. And we don't want to scare him away from our hack, do we? If we use the homing sprite, we shouldn't make the homing gimmick as hard as in temple of homing, or elso it will be just frustration, but not fun in the slightest.

Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

CyclopsDragon wrote:I had a very strange idea, and it doesn't really matter to me whether or not anyone likes it, but Rao's latest SMWR video made me think of it: bullets traveling on the z-axis. You know, from the foreground to the background, and vice versa. If someone could program that, it would be a great gimmick for single level. I sense "Bill's Palace" in the making. Although they'd have to be Banzai bills, because if not, the ones from the FG to the BG would be too easy to dodge, and the ones from the BG to the FG would be impossible to see if you were standing on the same square.
Also, I agree that YCZ has an awesome level. I was cracking up when I saw that first smasher fall, and especially at the end, where Magikoopa killed Yoshi. But then I thought, "Awwww... poor Yoshi."
Reminds me of one of the bosses in Super Kitiku world. Carol coded an attack like that where in the boss went from the Foreground to the Background and shot this big swirling flame from the background to the foreground which got bigger and bigger until it went of screen. Mario's head also turned to look at the background. But yeah that wasn't a sprite...but an actual attack.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Okay, I play tested my level. How long should it take to clear? 'Cause I finished it in about, 2 minutes. I know it's an opening level, but if you guys think that's too short, I'll edit it a bit more.
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Alright here's a revision of the second level of the game with my first attempt at original music included, went back to the normal palette cause graphics can be edited later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7iclqjQak

Like RedMageMike's, I kept it very short for an opening level, but can be extended if necessary...
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

prsnth1111 wrote:Alright here's a revision of the second level of the game with my first attempt at original music included, went back to the normal palette cause graphics can be edited later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq7iclqjQak

Like RedMageMike's, I kept it very short for an opening level, but can be extended if necessary...
Hey, I like your choice of music. Did you make it yourself or where is it from? Sounds neat and matches the level very well. Keep up the good work :)

prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Made it myself after spending a few hours understanding the Mario .txt format. It's a really weird way to write music but I was too annoyed by trying to convert .midi files. Still need to get the hang of it.
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

Wow, that's awesome that you made it yourself. It sounds like a mix between a mario- and snes-rpg-track. Which is a good thing. Hope to hear more of your music in the hack :D

🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Okay, here's my level. If there's anything that should be changed (e.g. needs more enemies and/or items or the rearrange the lay-out), just let me know and I'll get right on it.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/MikePLD/ ... l=81272307
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

Your level actually inspired me to another level idea - maybe someone wants to make it?

How about a SMB3-ship-like level called "Noah's Arc", where there are only two enemys of every type walking around? That means 2 koopas, 2 goombas, 2 wigglers, 2 thwimps, 2 fish and so on. Probably that would look kinda neat to see enemy couples everywhere ^^

Maybe it would be too much to have too many different kinds enemies in one stage, but maybe it would be kinda funny. If the stage had a boss fight - you guessed it - there would have to be two enemies as well.

If anyone wants to make such a level, feel free to do so! :mrgreen:

Dealth0072

Post by Dealth0072 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5gHeUM ... annel_page

I updated it after this vid was made and set the star a little farther back so you couldnt starman through the bullets.

I might make more =/
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

My posts are getting repetitive, but I have to say I like your level and especially the music - also made by yourself?
The level itsself could be a little longer, but maybe that's just me.

Damn, this hacks sure gonna get awesome!!! :D

Dealth0072

Post by Dealth0072 »

I would make it longer, i dont know how though!
I used as much of the screen LM would let me.
TwilightArts

Post by TwilightArts »

Oh, ok. I didn't know that. Well, just one more thing: I've been watching your videos right now and the earthquake powerup level a that friend of you made is a really cool idea. Do you think that could be a fun gimmick in any stage for our hack? Looks promising to me.

prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

@Kristian
So barring further issues with my posted level, can I take level (edit: 12B) for a future level in the sky world?
Dealth0072

Post by Dealth0072 »

IDEA: For the Intro to the hack after you choose your file.

We make the Megaman 2 into, only with mario at the top.

We can use...
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showexgfx&id=966 ExGFX for the Building.
and http://www.smwcentral.net/download.php? ... type=music for the music.

And as soon as it reaches the top, a message block appears as normal.

Also when beating a boss we could replace the victory theme with http://www.smwcentral.net/download.php? ... type=music

Discuss.
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

Dealth sounds like a nifty idea to me yo.
What?

Oh...