(shouting)

What we could have done better

it came, it went! all the old ASMT stuff is here
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Re: What we could have done better

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

The only thing I would complain about is people not submitting there levels in time without a good reason. So stricter realeasing time things. When the level submission says you have to this or that date to submit it and you go over the time without a really good reason, your level is automaticly assigned to a trustfull person!
Blinx

Post by Blinx »

add tons of insightful cutscenes
Last edited by Blinx 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
asdf
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I don't think making the plot suck is something we could do better.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Daze

Post by Daze »

Blinx wrote:
Moniker wrote: plot handler
hey, NO

sorry bro global plot handler that can't be debated against is not a good idea
Maybe, in the same way that there could be two project coordinators to smooth out the assembly of the entire hack, there could be two plot coordinators to make sure that things don't stagnate to a single one's ideas? If we ended up having a single one, I think Kilon is plenty open-minded for the position. Still, having two could streamline the process/ensure fairness to possible contributions.
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
Blinx

Post by Blinx »

they wouldn't listen to me anyway

Kilon: guys this joke is hilarious (to twelve year olds) let's put it in

Blinx: nope sorry your joke is stupid

Moniker:shut up blinx stop trolling
asdf
kilon

Post by kilon »

You put yourself in that position.. Come with some decent posts and we can discuss it.
Besides, you always need some arguments as to why you want something like this or in some other way.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Well most of raocow's fans are twelve year olds so maybe it wasn't a bad thing afterall?
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Argumentable wrote:Well most of raocow's fans are twelve year olds so maybe it wasn't a bad thing afterall?
We could've improved our noise-to-signal ratio.

Re: plot - I think kilon and I were very open-minded. For my part, I actively sought out other people's opinions. But this is a collab, you have to meet us half-way and actually engage the situation instead of just repeatedly calling for its dismissal. When I saw parts of the plot I didn't like, I proposed solutions, and nearly all of them were accepted.

So if you think a cutscene is too long, revise it (or propose revisions) to make it more streamlined. Don't just continually complain about the general tedium; that's completely unhelpful (and you're probably not going to get your way by just whining). If you don't have something helpful to say, don't say anything at all (or go to the gazebo or something). This is why I can't stand Blinx, or even sometimes Argumentable for that matter when he isn't actually working on something. We had a serious case of too many chiefs and not enough indians at the close of the project.
Nothing's easy.

randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

Moniker wrote:If you don't have something helpful to say, don't say anything at all (or go to the gazebo or something).
I love it when the gazebo is treated like /b/.
- randoguy101
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

...You mean the gazebo isn't /b/?

As for what I could do better - well, actually participate in the creative process, I suppose!

Silly jokes aside, I don't know whether you maybe already did this for ASMT, but my suggestion for the whole sorting my theme/sorting by difficulty problem would be to create a rough world theme list thing (as in, World 1: Grasslands, World 2: SPAYZ STASHUN, World 3: The gazebo, and so on) before levels are actually distributed and ask people to keep theme and difficulty related. I think that unless perception of difficulty varies too widely between people here, this should work towards a mostly balanced curve.
People who aren't sure how difficult their level is could always just keep the theme freely interchangeable and have the playtesters decide where that would go.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Moniker wrote: We could've improved our noise-to-signal ratio.
Oh yeah, a lot of stuff was repeated over and over. We should probably get whoever is "in charge" of whatever section to have a post with proposed ideas that are being worked on and repeatedly suggested ones that are dismissed so people won't say the same thing over and over and over and over again.

Also, re: the rest of your post, while I do agree that maybe some parts were taken a bit too far, the people who weren't trolling probably should learn not to take the bait and fill up an entire page full of complaints and "go away" posts. Ignore that shit, and if you have a really major problem with it, send in a report. I didn't recieve a single complaint personally (or through reports) about any of these happenings, so I didn't do anything about it (and it is too late to go back now and report them sorry)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

Terry von Feleday wrote: but my suggestion for the whole sorting my theme/sorting by difficulty problem would be to create a rough world theme list thing (as in, World 1: Grasslands, World 2: SPAYZ STASHUN, World 3: The gazebo, and so on) before levels are actually distributed and ask people to keep theme and difficulty related.
yeah, but I think it's kinda boring do it that way, it's much cooler when people can be crazy with their level design and randomly decide to make one level that's abstract white and pink or one level made just of ropes or one level using mega man graphics ect. I think if you force a theme it would lose something.

I personally think the level designers should be allowed to go crazy, then the levels should be arranged in order or awesome level design/gimmicks and to some extent difficulty. worse and easiest at the start, hardest/coolest at the end.

The only problem I can see with this is that the overworlds wouldn't have any correlation with the levels, but who cares about that?
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

rubberfishy wrote:The only problem I can see with this is that the overworlds wouldn't have any correlation with the levels, but who cares about that?
If it really mattered so much, people could just ignore overworld themes during level design, and add in consistency later. (For example: Someone makes a factory level or whatever, and it's fun/difficulty factor landed around World 4 or something, which was an ice world. Then, you change the palettes a bit and make the level slippery, and voila, a cool level that stays consistent theme-wise and difficulty wise.) I understand this is not the best way of handling things, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
- randoguy101
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

We could've had the ability to ban certain people from viewing/posting in the collab forums only.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

We could make better use of Switch Blocks. In my opinion there should be at least one part in every level that makes use of some sort of switch block. The level shouldn't be dependant on them, but it would be a nice touch.
Terry von Feleday

Well, it's not like we have to make the level theme things too rigid, after all grasslands aren't ALL GRASS, ALL THE TIME - a factory of sorts could fit nearly everywhere, and something incredibly random like a level with enemy graphics as its tileset or whatever could also work everywhere equally, in a very non-sequitur sort of way.

Also, I care about overworld correlation :P sure the area around the level doesn't have to be the level itself lovingly recreated in 1:50 scale or whatever, but something like an ice level randomly popping up in the middle of a forest strikes me as a little too weird.

One thing I thought might be a good idea for this would be if the level itself could be whatever it wants, but the first screen and the goal area would have a relation to the overworld, or, even better, the levels before/after it. For instance, while watching the Overgrown Fortress level, I figured it'd be really cool if the first screen was the remains of a burnt forest with an entrance to the actual fortress rather than a random cave. That way, there'd be a bit more continuity and levels of unrelated themes wouldn't contrast so jarringly.

Just a thought. I imagine it'd be difficult to account for level themes during the actual level creation, but I think this is something that could always be done afterwards as well.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Continuity like in MKM? That would be hard to arrange in a collab hack. Not impossible, but it might be unnecessarily difficult.
Terry von Feleday

Well, if it's too much effort, a connection to the world theme rather than the level before will really not be much effort and can be done by the level creators themselves if you make a world list beforehand.

For instance, just a screen of normal forest before the fortress rather than one of the oxidated variety.
kilon

Post by kilon »

But then you have to make sure the first and last sublevels aren't to much fillers. it will hurt the impact of a level if it starts and ends on a disappointing note.
Alex-R

Post by Alex-R »

I don't really get why we should sacrifice originality for continuity here. Sure, a level in an ice world should preferably have something to do with ice or cold stuff, but focus should always be on gameplay first and everything else after. If the creator don't want to add something from the level before or add a hill just because there's a hill on the overworld, he or she shouldn't have to.

Random stuff and levels sticking out may not make it the closest thing to a sequel to SMW, but that's the nature of a collaboration and is that really a bad thing?
Terry von Feleday

Well, it really only has to be the first screen, after all. That's not a terrible lot of filler, I think.

It's not like I'm saying the entire level should change for a bit of continuity, and it shouldn't be rigidly inforced in every level if it somehow breaks the flow of the level itself, either.
Blinx

Post by Blinx »

chdata wrote:We could've had the ability to ban certain people from viewing/posting in the collab forums only.
chdata you ass
asdf