Dancing with the moonlit knight

Re: Mafia Game 2 - Night 1

Post by RedMageSusie »

Once everyone who has a special role finishes their night actions
Tain
Please no touching the flair

Re: Mafia Game 2 - Night 1

Post by Tain »

8flight wrote: 6 years ago What role did you receive if you werent dmed?
If you weren't pmed you would be regular townie, I will be sure to write this explicitly from now on.
Last edited by Tain 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tain

Re: Mafia Game 2 - Day 1

Post by Tain »

Game 2 - Day 1

Players
  • 8flight
  • bbbrrr_it_cold
  • Holy
  • Ignoritus
  • pholtos
  • RedMageSusie
  • Sorel
  • Sturg
  • Supershroom
  • Voltgloss
Setup
  • 2 Mafia Goons (1 special)
  • 8 Townies (1 Sheriff, 1 Tracker)

Our dear friend RMS has been spotted by a nearby satellite, somehow orbiting earth. It does not seem he remembered to bring a spacesuit with him.

Have fun on day one!
Cedur
Brigande
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Cedur »

Great, Day 1 and a blue is dead.

We need to lynch at the latest Day 2, but I'd be up for a random lynch already
Winners don't doubt, doubters don't win.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Does the blue text mean RMS was a power role?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

If blue does mean power role, this is already pretty bad.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Poor RedMage, yet again.

Tracker, this means that your ability is effectively a rolecheck now assuming no Ninja.
Tain

Post by Tain »

Yes, blue means town aligned but not townie. Ill be sure to color that in the rolelist in the future
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Oh well that sucks

I mean, I'm all for a RL in the near future.

Also we've got either a sheriff or tracker left, so that's something to consider
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

We basically have a sheriff left. If that was the Sheriff the tracker now knows that any action they see has to be mafia. If it was Tracker we have the actual Sheriff left.
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

ah k

I'd assume Mafia would've chosen either the Godfather or the Ninja, so there's still a chance we won't be able to identify one of them.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

We should definitely lynch today. It's the Town's one way of killing mafia. It also doesn't have to be entirely random.

Least Suspicious to Most Suspicious
- 8flight
- pholtos, Sturg, supershroom
- Ignoritus, Soren
- bbbrrr_it_cold, Holy

Vote: bbbrrr_it_cold
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I've never been good at reading too much into things but how did you come up with those levels of suspicion?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Yes, I am interested in knowing why I am most suspicious. Also in why 8flight is least suspicious, since he's at the top of my list.
Actually, to avoid the pot calling the kettle black, I should probably explain that, in my experience, people who act the fool (such as publicly asking why they haven't gotten a pm and such) are just that - acting.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I am, at the very least, satisfied enough with that answer to not vote right now.
I still am rather interested in knowing why I am suspicious (and the reasoning behind the whole list - I looked at Holy's singular post and am not sure what in there is particularly suspicious). I'd like to hold off on voting until I feel that there's actually a good argument to vote for someone, and I've seen none. However, if it comes down to it, I will certainly be voting to save myself.
Sturg wrote: 6 years ago I'd assume Mafia would've chosen either the Godfather or the Ninja, so there's still a chance we won't be able to identify one of them.
Forgot to comment on this earlier in my rush to defend myself, but I would be remiss if I didn't point out this exchange.
Tain wrote: 6 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago - Has the Mafia already picked their special role? I.e., that's already locked in before the town concludes voting on its special roles?
Mafia picks their role before town picks theirs. They do not get to pick based on what the town picks, just as the town doesn't get to pick based on the Mafia.
So, of course, it is possible that the mafia picked Godfather or Ninja, but they could have picked Strongman in hopes that we'd pick Doctor or Roleblocker. Of course, mafia would have voted too since they are a part of the town and that could be an interesting wrinkle...or it could be nothing noteworthy. I always overthink these mafia games...
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

pholtos wrote: 6 years ago I've never been good at reading too much into things but how did you come up with those levels of suspicion?
I think 8flight's comment about "what role do you have if you didn't get a message" would have been exceedingly risky for mafia to make. They have no way of knowing that vanilla townies didn't get a message. I realize it *could* be a ruse but I don't think it's likely for mafia to take that kind of risk right out of the gate.

Ignoritus and Soren delayed voting on power roles until the very end, and then 1-2 hammered the Cop/Tracker choices. The lack of any fight over the choices likely means mafia is fairly comfortable with our picks. So I expect they picked Godfather or Ninja (making at least one of Cop and Tracker significantly less useful).

brr and Holy both did what I'd call "hedging" in their votes on power roles and specifically commenting that "right now" they would vote certain roles. brr in particular made a fairly long post without a vote that went in circles and didn't make any conclusions - until more people voted; and then brr came in with the Cop/Tracker combo that ultimately won. That kind of behavior strikes me - with the very limited info we currently have - as suspicious.

The above doesn't take into account any new developments since my post.

Incidentally, Tracker isn't a full rolecheck. If Tracker targets a Mafia who does *not* make the kill that night, that player won't be seen targeting anyone - thus appearing to be "town."
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

wait mafia people already got their role PM when we voted for the town roles?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Voltgloss

Re: Mafia Game 2 - Day 0

Post by Voltgloss »

Sorel wrote: wait mafia people already got their role PM when we voted for the town roles?
Yes:
Tain wrote: 6 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago I'm unclear on two rules:

- Has the Mafia already picked their special role? I.e., that's already locked in before the town concludes voting on its special roles?
- If a Mafia Strongman performs a kill, and they are Roleblocked, does the kill happen or not?
Mafia picks their role before town picks theirs. They do not get to pick based on what the town picks, just as the town doesn't get to pick based on the Mafia.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago The lack of any fight over the choices likely means mafia is fairly comfortable with our picks. So I expect they picked Godfather or Ninja (making at least one of Cop and Tracker significantly less useful).
See, I'm not so sure I agree there. If the mafia had fought over the choices, wouldn't that have been one of the most suspicious things they could have done,?
Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago brr and Holy both did what I'd call "hedging" in their votes on power roles and specifically commenting that "right now" they would vote certain roles. brr in particular made a fairly long post without a vote that went in circles and didn't make any conclusions - until more people voted; and then brr came in with the Cop/Tracker combo that ultimately won. That kind of behavior strikes me - with the very limited info we currently have - as suspicious.
I will be perfectly honest with you - I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, we'd have a DISCUSSION about what roles we wanted. When I made my first post, only three people had commented and only two of them voted. I just figured that I would throw out some ideas for a potential discussion from my base observations on the whole thing, considering two of the three people who had commented did the same. By the time I'd made my second post, only two more people had commented and only one of those two voted (so actually saying that I waited for "more people" is expressly erroneous since there was only one additional vote in). At that point, as you've noted, I voted saying that I would do that for now. I was thinking that maybe there would be an actual discussion.
And there just wasn't.
The funny thing to me is the two people you find most suspicious are the two people who seemed to be willing to be swayed. And that sounds like something the mafia just wouldn't do, all things considered.

I'm still not going to vote. I am going to wait and see if there is a response to what I have to say here. And, at that point, if there is still a vote against me, then I'll probably have to vote.
Sturg

Post by Sturg »

Oh, huh, I didn't read how the Mafia roles were chosen before the town voted on their own picks. I didn't really put a whole lot of thought into my vote solely because I just assumed they would've chosen after town got theirs. My bad I guess.

I'm not terribly suspicious of Igno or Sorel because they voted last, mostly because I think that's just a case of them being late to the vote. I could still be wrong about it though.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Both Volt and brrr seem to have somewhat of a point, as it's important to put plenty of thought into what roles to choose but at the same time think about how the mafia could influence that vote. Hmm...

Still not sure what to do today.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Tain

Post by Tain »

Votes
  • bbbrrr_it_cold - Voltgloss
  • No Vote - 8flight, bbbrrr_it_cold, Holy, Ignoritus, pholtos, Sorel, Sturg, Supershroom
Please try to use

Code: Select all

code formatting
for votes so they are easier to find.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

When is day end?
Tain

Post by Tain »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago When is day end?
Not everyone has spoken and most people haven't voted. I want to make sure people have the chance to give votes before the day ends. I will tentatively say the day will for sure be over by Saturday evening/Sunday morning. Basically I try to wait until there has been an OK amount of discussion and then decide if I want to end now/ in half a day/ in a full day from there.

It is difficult because for people who are proactive, there is a wait, but for people who don't visit every day the game could seem appropriately paced.

For those who do not want to a lynch today, please vote

Code: Select all

No Lynch
so I know your decision. If for some reason you do not want to publicly state that you are for not lynching, you can PM me that vote. votes for lynching must be made in the thread.

Also, if you are worried about missing a phase change, you can ask me to ping you, and I will quote everyone who has requested on phase changes.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Thanks. I'm used to there being a specific drop-dead time by which the day ends if there aren't enough votes for a lynch. Like, "10:00 a.m. Eastern time Sunday 6/25." (I'm not saying that should be the deadline. I'm just presenting that as an example.)

Separately, there's one thing more suspicious than everything else I've described to date: lurking. Mafia often default to lurking in the background during the day phase, with few posts/votes, in an effort not to draw attention to themselves. And a lurking town player isn't contributing to the discussion. I'm going back over the thread now to see whose suspicion has shot up thanks to lurking. That may prompt a vote change.