(shouting)

Did you Know?

...or in other words: post-whoring
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Re: Did you Know?

Post by No Lynch »

While the English language's pronouns for referring to multiples coincide with its gender-neutral pronouns (they/them/their), the Deutsch language's pronouns for multiples coincide with its feminine pronouns (die/sie).

I have NO CLUE what other languages are like, though. Anyone else willing to add with their respective first/second/third studied language's pronouns?
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

No Lynch wrote:While the English language's pronouns for referring to multiples coincide with its gender-neutral pronouns (they/them/their), the Deutsch language's pronouns for multiples coincide with its feminine pronouns (die/sie).

I have NO CLUE what other languages are like, though. Anyone else willing to add with their respective first/second/third studied language's pronouns?
In Filipino language (specifically Tagalog), we always use siya/niya (singular pronouns) and sila/nila (plural pronouns). Siya/niya is used regardless to the gender.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by FFR »

in portuguese, and I think any other language heavily based on latin, everything has a gender and a conjugation. instead of having only "they", we have "eles" and "elas". generally, when we speak of a multigendered group, we use the male ones

also, some random brazillian dude popularized the wristwatch
Piter Lauchy
Suitable for all Buddy purposes
First name: Merlin

Post by Piter Lauchy »

French uses the male word for groups, too, if I remember correctly.
Man, five years of French in school and all I can say is Bonjour, Merci and the obvious one.
You're awesome.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

French pulls a jerk move where if a group is all femme people it's elles, but if even one guy is in the group it changes to ils

French is a pretty sexist language. the word for wife is the same as the word for woman (Elle est ma femme), but husband and man are two different words (Il est mon mari, et il est un homme)
:nb_pride:
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Spanish has that same group shenanigansry, it's kinda prevalent in those languages
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
FFR

Post by FFR »

it is, yeah... because of the way society was back then, those kinds of language tend to think of males as the default group. but english does that too, sometimes you use "men" and "humanity" interchangeably, and indeed you have the word "mankind"
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

No Lynch wrote:I have NO CLUE what other languages are like, though. Anyone else willing to add with their respective first/second/third studied language's pronouns?
I am not native Spanish, but from taking two years of it I had learned a few noticeable differences between its usage of third-person pronouns and English. Here's how we might use ones in English:

he, his, him (male, singular)
she, hers, her (female, singular)
they, theirs, their (either neutral plural or neutral singular)
Then the neopronouns, which I can't account for since I don't know enough about them yet. Also:
it, its, it (not humanized, singular)

Here's how we might use pronouns in Spanish:

su, sus (the possessive form for all singular pronouns. "sus" is the plural form, since all descriptive works conjugate in relation to the noun.)
él (male, singular)
ella (female, singular)
ellos, de ellos (male, plural; or neutral, plural. (somewhat) )
ellas, de ellas (female, plural)
se (neutral, singular)

There is no form of pronouns such as "him" or "her," as far as I know. "Se" is the best way I can think of to use for either a person in general, (which can be identified as male female, or neither, if desired) or when someone doesn't want to be referred to a binary gender. I also haven't heard anything about neopronouns being in Spanish at all. I cannot back up any of this which I've said so far entirely, however, because I'm neither native Spanish-speaking nor do I have a complete education in Spanish. I'm just speaking what's to the best of my knowledge.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
july
七月
First name: e!ɡa
Pronouns: she/her

Post by july »

Wolfolotl wrote:French is a pretty sexist language. the word for wife is the same as the word for woman (Elle est ma femme), but husband and man are two different words (Il est mon mari, et il est un homme)
English sorta has similar, in that "wife" comes from Old English "wīf" meaning "woman" and "wife", and "woman" is basically equivalent to "wife" + "man" (from Old English "wīfmann"). Meanwhile "husband" comes from an Old Norse word meaning "master/head of a household".
dr_vblschrf
may or may not be an actual fox

Post by dr_vblschrf »

in american sign language we just point in certain ways. off to the side for singular third person, right at the person you speak to for singular second person, to yourself for first person. plural pronouns involve motion; a full semicircle arc in front of you for "you" as in "all of you", half of that for plural "they/them" and from one shoulder to the other in a line for "we/us". make it possessive by changing the handshape from pointing to an open palm.

the english pronouns are implied but there's nothing connoting (or not connoting, for that matter) gender, simply number. as in, singular "they" would be indistinguishable from any other third person singular pronoun since they're all the same thing. this video shows you how they all look.

i remember that in elementary school i had to be pulled aside and told that it was rude to point at things or people, cause that didn't make sense to me when i was little since pointing = pronouns.
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

T²∝r³
Where T is the time taken for one full orbit and r is the semi-major axis
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

A surprisingly high number of song combinations actually sound incredible when played at once.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Piter Lauchy

Post by Piter Lauchy »

HamsterZerg wrote:A surprisingly high number of song combinations actually sound incredible when played at once.
Pretty sure this is not exactly what you meant, but it's amazing, so there:

You're awesome.
Hacchi
No cutting corners, she's on the border noooooow!
First name: Carly.:.
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hacchi »

Unlike in humans, the esophagi of most species of birds work entirely by gravity. That is why scientist don't bring them into space.
The sparkly pink thing that might bite your head off.

HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

The Far Side was considered obscure during the 1990's.

Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

birds have places to go and taxes to pay
:nb_pride:
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

If the universe were a four-dimensional object, (that was small enough to have proper effect) then perspective would be reversed: things that are farther away would appear appear larger than instances in front of them. At the very opposite end of the universe, an object (say, even just a marble) would appear so large that it would actually surround the entire horizon of view, both upwards and downwards, left in right. Basically, no matter which way you would look, you could see the marble.

However, because our universe is not that small, (and because of the way light works) it's impossible to determine that from the naked eye.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

No Lynch wrote:While the English language's pronouns for referring to multiples coincide with its gender-neutral pronouns (they/them/their), the Deutsch language's pronouns for multiples coincide with its feminine pronouns (die/sie).

only female and male pronouns
a pair for specifically known and another pair for not specified
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Jayoshi wrote:If the universe were a four-dimensional object, (that was small enough to have proper effect) then perspective would be reversed: things that are farther away would appear appear larger than instances in front of them. At the very opposite end of the universe, an object (say, even just a marble) would appear so large that it would actually surround the entire horizon of view, both upwards and downwards, left in right. Basically, no matter which way you would look, you could see the marble.

However, because our universe is not that small, (and because of the way light works) it's impossible to determine that from the naked eye.
There's this game coming out where the main protagonist can shift between 3D and 4D space. It's called Miegakure.

alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

A polar bear has clear skin.
Piter Lauchy

Post by Piter Lauchy »

8bitgamer123 wrote:A polar bear has clear skin.
*hair. The skin is black.
You're awesome.
Sasquatch
Don't mess with sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sasquatch is a corruption of sásq'ets, a word from the Halkomelem people of southwest British Columbia.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

A dormouse is a rodent, but not actually a mouse. Its tail is also fuzzy, almost like a gerbil. Both Disney Alice in Wonderland movies I'm aware of get this wrong.

The "dor" is from the same root as "dormant", referring to how much they sleep; it's not a misspelling of "door" and they have nothing to do with college dormitories (though I have encountered these puns and made my own silly mistakes in etymology before I found out they were a real creature and not made up for the book the way Mock Turtles and Bread and Butter Flies were).

In some countries they are bred nearly to the size of guinea pigs and eaten. This breed is known as the "Edible Dormouse".
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

You can die from drinking too much water at once, as the other nutrients in your system become too diluted to function properly.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

no, I didn't

thanks for asking though man you're always around for me thread title